shape
carat
color
clarity

Whats up with empire waist?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Ok mini vent....and please feel free to tell me I am wrong...lol

Sundresses are everywhere, and EVERYWHERE i look, every single sundress has an empire waist. Am I the only one that HATES this cut? I feel like it makes everyone look like they are wearing maternity clothes! lol

I am a size 0/2 in a dress and have a flat stomach, and I still look 6 months pregnant when I wear one! lol Maybe its because my boobs are large for my size (34 C)? So it makes the dress puff out more? I dont know. But I am searching for a cute sundress to wear to my cousin''s graduation party in two weeks, and cant find a single dress!!

Whew! Ok Vent over
2.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen plenty of cute dresses that aren''t but I cannot wear empire waist. With a 36D/DD I feel like I''m also wearing a neon arrow pointing at my ta tas.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain! I''m a 36D with some belly pooch, and I''m just waiting for somebody to ask me how far along I am. Stupid friggin empire waist dresses.

I additionally hate them because they''re pretty much the LEAST flattering cut on my body. I''ve got an hourglass figure, and anything that doesn''t nip in at the waist makes me look way bigger than I am.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol.. this post made me laugh, I have a small chest, and i don''t like the look of them too much either on me (although i think they look adorable), and I''m flat stomach, it still makes me look like I''m a little preggie

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 11:15:04 AM
Author: princesss
I feel your pain! I''m a 36D with some belly pooch, and I''m just waiting for somebody to ask me how far along I am. Stupid friggin empire waist dresses.

I additionally hate them because they''re pretty much the LEAST flattering cut on my body. I''ve got an hourglass figure, and anything that doesn''t nip in at the waist makes me look way bigger than I am.
Quadritto.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Haha thank you for making me laugh ladies and letting me know I''m not the only one!
9.gif

Starset, please share where you''ve seen these! I need help...

Ive been to Jcrew, Banana Republic, The Limited, Gap, Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft....ALL empires! LOL

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock

fifth-o?
I look preggos in any cut minus good ol 1950''s style dresses. so i rock them.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 11:56:24 AM
Author: jcarlylew

fifth-o?
Same. I love that look (thank goodness), and it can be dressed up or down, classic or modern...it''s perfect.

My dream dress is the one Diane Lane wears in Under the Tuscan Sun when she goes to surprise her Italian boy toy.

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
I ALWAYS feel preggers with an empire waist on!
Its so bizzarre to me that they are so in style.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 12:01:41 PM

Same. I love that look (thank goodness), and it can be dressed up or down, classic or modern...it's perfect.

My dream dress is the one Diane Lane wears in Under the Tuscan Sun when she goes to surprise her Italian boy toy.
I know which one! I ADORE that dress!!!!
30.gif

Thanks again ladies for making me see I am not the only one. I just saw them all over the place as the big "trend" and I'm thinking, "am i the only one that thinks this!". LOL

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I''m currently lusting after a few dresses at the Limited but I have nowhere to wear one this year. No weddings, no baby showers, no engagement evening... I need to plan a girl''s night out!

failleredlimited.JPG

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a lot of cute dresses at Macy''s, structured with summer weight fabrics. I also got a couple at United Colors of Benneton.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
do a search on shopstyle.com for your price range and you'll be sure to find many retailers that are have non empire cute dresses. I'm

eta...kitty pushed enter. lol. Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of the style either. Although, I be all the preggers are for the sole fact of the normal pricing. Maternity clothes are expensive from what I hear.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve hated empire waists since 2nd grade when i wore a cute little dress with one to school for my birthday and the kids in my class told me i looked pregnant
14.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 12:01:41 PM
Date: 5/27/2009 11:56:24 AM

Author: jcarlylew

fifth-o?

Same. I love that look (thank goodness), and it can be dressed up or down, classic or modern...it''s perfect.

LOL--me too, guys! I seriously rock the 50s style.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 6:22:54 PM
Author: Squirrly
i''ve hated empire waists since 2nd grade when i wore a cute little dress with one to school for my birthday and the kids in my class told me i looked pregnant
14.gif
Are you kidding!? In the second grade?!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love empires. And I''m a 34/36DD. They make my stomach look flat because the ladies stick out while the dress of the dress appears to lie flat.
40.gif

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 8:12:33 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I love empires. And I'm a 34/36DD. They make my stomach look flat because the ladies stick out while the dress of the dress appears to lie flat.
40.gif
+1

I'm not quite that large in the chest, but it definitely eliminates my belly and i like the kind that hug my actual waist at the top, making me look tiny.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! I was feeling so lonely!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s definitely a matter of personal taste - I''m an hourglass shape and love empire waists! But I''m not very good at dressing to flatter my figure, I always just choose the stuff I think is cute
3.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
haha-funny you post this as I recently have seen 2 PREGNANT women wearing shirts that I have that ARE NOT maternity shirts...one was my good friend at work and now I don''t think I can wear the shirt to work without people thinking I''m PG too!!

I still rock the look though! They''re comfy!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 8:39:59 PM
Author: IloveAsschers13

I love empires. And I''m a 34/36DD. They make my stomach look flat because the ladies stick out while the dress of the dress appears to lie flat.
40.gif
+1

I''m not quite that large in the chest, but it definitely eliminates my belly and i like the kind that hug my actual waist at the top, making me look tiny.

+2

I''m somewhat small-chested and love ''em. It''s my favorite silhouette.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I actually really like empire waist dresses...but only casual/summer dress styles. For me, it''s an easy excuse to wear a dress (now that I''m pudge
20.gif
) because they are comfortable and they look good with flats.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
This makes me laugh, how empire waist dresses are back. I wore them in 1972, when they were really popular back then. I wore one to my daughter's christening.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
I love empire waists! I''m also size 0 but have flat boobs (they''re nonexistent!) so I love the halter top-empire waist combo, especially if they tie in the back.
I''ve seen alot of nice non-empire-waist summer dresses on nordstrom.com and bloomingdales.com.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE empire waisted stuff! I think it''s one of the cutest shapes. But I love baggy dresses and tops in general-they''re just my style.

As long as they''re fitted in the bust and don''t hit at the widest part of the hip, I think empire waisted tops and dresses look good on just about anyone.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
40.gif
Thank goodness!

My wedding dress is 99.9% going to be an empire line and i was starting to think that maybe i should delete all pictures of it!

I am a size 4 with a DD chest and it''s very flattering on me, plus i wont have to worry about not being able to eat or squeeze into my dress on the big day!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 9:07:35 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree

40.gif
Thank goodness!

My wedding dress is 99.9% going to be an empire line and i was starting to think that maybe i should delete all pictures of it!

I am a size 4 with a DD chest and it''s very flattering on me, plus i wont have to worry about not being able to eat or squeeze into my dress on the big day!
I think they look fabulous on other people. Empire waisted wedding dresses feel really romantic to me. I just look like a cow in them. The problem with trying to put them on my figure is that my hips/thighs DO stick out and are noticable. I like empire stuff in stiffer material where it sticks out a little so you can''t see anything (Old Navy had some cute dresses like that) but if it''s jersey or something light where it just hangs down, it hits my flabby areas and I am not a fan of the "Hey, look at my fat!" look.
14.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
lol, my SO complains about empire waist dresses and tops all the time! He says they are highly UNflattering!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have several, and they are pretty flattering on me as long as there is not too much loose flowy fabric. I''m smaller on top, with bigger hips/butt... and it emphasizes the small and detracts from the big.

It really depends on the cut of the specific dress or top. I''ve had some make me look really preggs, and others are really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results