clarity

What's the story behind your avatar?

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lee Little said:
baby nurse said:
FrekeChild said:
I love shoes. And blue. And these happen to be one of my favorite pairs. I don't think anyone would recognize me if I changed it....

BN, have you ever read the thread (it's old) where certain members started hijacking other member's avatars? It got very confusing...but was hilarious.

I haven't read that thread. That sounds really funny! How did they hijack their avatars?

Maybe I should not tell you how but I will anyways. Right click on the pic, choose SAVE IMAGE AS and you have the pic stored in your computer. I tried it on yours, I now have the bunny! MU-AH-HA-HA he said as he rubbed his hands together.

This gave me a good laugh, Lee!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny, I looove your green diamond :love: :love: :love:

cemrn, what a creative picture! I thought it was one of your wedding photos.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
My avatar is a photograph of an uncut (and significantly included) diamond. The photo was taken with a lens that I designed and ground the pieces for. The idea for the lens was to explore the issues that would be involved in designing a lens made of diamond, with such a high index material and also one with so much dispersion that it couldn't be controlled. Also to explore the transformations of the shape of the space in the camera's view. Then too, I had to invent for myself a method and technology for grinding and polishing lenses of gemstone. Well I did it. The lens is composed of four lenses together (two in the front 2 in the back, symmetric) mounted in a Copal shutter. The lens materials are titanite and cz. After grinding the Diamond Lens it seemed necessary to photograph a diamond with it.

ddiamondportrait1.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid said:
My avatar is a photograph of an uncut (and significantly included) diamond. The photo was taken with a lens that I designed and ground the pieces for. The idea for the lens was to explore the issues that would be involved in designing a lens made of diamond, with such a high index material and also one with so much dispersion that it couldn't be controlled. Also to explore the transformations of the shape of the space in the camera's view. Then too, I had to invent for myself a method and technology for grinding and polishing lenses of gemstone. Well I did it. The lens is composed of four lenses together (two in the front 2 in the back, symmetric) mounted in a Copal shutter. The lens materials are titanite and cz. After grinding the Diamond Lens it seemed necessary to photograph a diamond with it.

I could never figure out your avatar...and,um... you're really smart.

Very interesting explanation, VL!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
this is a front view of the lens, note the concentric scratches around the periphery (cz is tough to polish)

Dlensfront.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
klewis said:
tourmaline_lover said:
klewis said:
baby nurse said:
klewis, I know I don't need to tell you how beautiful that stone is, and your ring is one of my top 3 favorites on PS.

HotPozzum, what a great avatar picture. That's the sweetest story! Isn't it nice to take pride in your partner :appl:

Thanks BN - I really should change my screen name :snore: to something more pleasant and imaginative.

I hate my screen name now too, because I don't just love tourmalines. I don't know what was going through my head when I picked it, and it seems so dorky. Oh well, at least I have a cool avatar. LOL!

Not dorky at all TL, and I could never imagine you with any other screen name.
I have disliked my screen-name ever since someone in an RTW thread political discussion acerbically called me Klewless :-o ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( during a heated discussion. That'll teach me to venture into those kinds of forums. There! I've said it now and now I can cancel my therapy appointment.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
love it! you know you want to tell who called you the name don't you... :naughty:

ah, you know I wuvs ya - you are not clueless at all in my book, klewis. :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such interesting stories and explanations; I’ve changed my avatars several times but it’s nothing cool or unique. All my avatars are only stones that I own.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your avatars are among the best, Chrono. Serious eye candy :love: :love: :appl:

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
My Avatar is a sardonyx shell cameo (45x35mm) set in 18k yellow gold - it can be worn either as a pendant or a brooch.
Yes, I know the motif is overly romantic, but I really love the precise and intricate carving.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
arjunajane said:
klewis said:
tourmaline_lover said:
klewis said:
baby nurse said:
klewis, I know I don't need to tell you how beautiful that stone is, and your ring is one of my top 3 favorites on PS.

HotPozzum, what a great avatar picture. That's the sweetest story! Isn't it nice to take pride in your partner :appl:

Thanks BN - I really should change my screen name :snore: to something more pleasant and imaginative.

I hate my screen name now too, because I don't just love tourmalines. I don't know what was going through my head when I picked it, and it seems so dorky. Oh well, at least I have a cool avatar. LOL!

Not dorky at all TL, and I could never imagine you with any other screen name.
I have disliked my screen-name ever since someone in an RTW thread political discussion acerbically called me Klewless :-o ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( during a heated discussion. That'll teach me to venture into those kinds of forums. There! I've said it now and now I can cancel my therapy appointment.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
love it! you know you want to tell who called you the name don't you... :naughty:

ah, you know I wuvs ya - you are not clueless at all in my book, klewis. :wavey:

Awww thanks AJ :)

CourtLynB

Rough_Rock
Mine is of my pointer/terrier mix, Riley. She was a puppy when this picture was taken, her first summer at the beach. She started just going and laying in the water. One time she just sat at the edge and looked out over the bay and I was able to get this shot. She looks like she's surveying her kingdom. In a full size version, you can see her shadow in the water, plus a lovely reflection in the wet sand.

The background is looking north over Moriches Bay from the very eastern tip of Fire Island (Long Island, NY) near Moriches Inlet. You can only get to this specific beach by boat, which is the way Riley prefers :bigsmile:

10-24-07 023.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I "Fanta"-size about a Fanta colored diamond. I will not rest until I find and can afford such a thing. :Up_to_something:

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is my cat Oliver. Last Christmas, someone on PS put antlers and a red nose on him. I have never been able to find the original photo sans antlers and nose, so I just left them on. And I've been too lazy to make a different avatar.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr, looks like a nice Mahenge spinel. Hope you share pics when you get it!

Amber St. Clare, That's a very interesting (in a good way) ring. Cool that you got the price down, too ;))

ruffysdad, yours is one that I don't think needed an explanation! Clearly you have a wonderful bond. And ruffy looks like he gets the most he can out of life.

Lauren, not boring at all. I always enjoy seeing the windmills in your stone.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian said:
Most people know what my avatar is (its a sphene) its one of the favorites in my collection. as far as my screen name? lol its not what some people may be thinking.

-A

Before I typed crasru, I chose Arkteia (Polar star) for my screen name but I was told that it had been taken. I wonder if it reminded them of Arcadian...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby nurse said:
junebug17, your rose painting is beautiful. My artistic talent is at the level of my 4 year old :lol:

crasru, I think the picture of your kitten is much more appealing than the previous avatar; she is very pretty!
If you wanted to change it to a picture of your demantoid (pendant?), I wouldn't complain about that either :naughty:

I do not even remember what was on my previous one. I change them all the time. I love my demantoid but you know, there are still enough demantoids in this world but only one Pushok. She looks pretty feisty here, "here I am!". In real life, she is quite mellow, good-natured, love-ya-all kind of a kitten.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
My handle is one that I use quite often. It's a combo of my first name and my favorite car, my camaro Z28. I'm a go fast, mod it, kinda car girl. :naughty: One day, my garage will be bigger than my house. I already have more cars and bikes than one girl should be allowed. :Up_to_something: My avatar is my newest and favorite ring from JKT.

Very interesting thread! :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby nurse said:
Arcadian said:
Most people know what my avatar is (its a sphene) its one of the favorites in my collection. as far as my screen name? lol its not what some people may be thinking.

-A

It's a beautiful stone... I remember when your avatar changed, although I don't recall what it was before. Have you done anything with this stone?
I have no idea what Arcadian might mean; can you say? If you would rather not, that's OK, too.

I was supposed to but I've decided to wait. its going to be a pendant someday. I've already had one set in a pendant thats similar in cut and color though a bit smaller but my mom saw it and well...its now with her (she really loves it)

My username is Greek in Nature. Though it does another meaning, which is [22 04 50 16 42 10 00 02 08 44] :saint: :bigsmile:

-A

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Astra, that's a beautiful picture. Even tiny, it has lovely shades of blue and green in it.
This is a bit embarrassing, I live in NH and have never visited Cape Cod :oops: Defninitely will have to go there.

ooo Shiney, I s--k at figuring out how to set up avatars, too :lol: My husband helped me.

jstarfireb and Laila , your wedding sets are lovely :love: Would be great to see an enlarged picture!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pixgirl said:
These Barbie dolls belong the my friend's daughter and were lying on the floor up against a wall sort of discarded and definitely well used. I laid down on the floor to shoot them and loved their dishevelled, worn, "bad" look. I guess they reflect my current state of mind - worn, tired, but still pretty fabulous! My name - well I take lots of pix so...

Your avatar is very distinctive (in a good way)! My hair looked like that today :rolleyes: :lol:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treenbean, that's a great picture =) And I love the name Newt! Avatar pics are so small, I never noticed the pink bow. It's really cool to have all these explanations. I bet your uncle will always have that picture up.

Nashville, I've been to Tennessee a few times and the people there are sooo friendly. And it's such a pretty place. MA is great too--perhaps not quite so friendly :confused: Don't blame you for considering Nashville home.

LindaW, I know there are a ton of PSers who admire/covet the padparadscha in your avatar. I'm one of them!
I read a lot of your threads when I was searching for a pad of my own. It was my first stone purchase and the one that got me interested in PS.
I'm looking forward to seeing your latest purchase! Congratulations :wavey:

Hest88, the cushion is my favorite cut :lickout: I'll have to do a search to see if I can find any pics of your demantoid.
I'm dreaming of the day when I own a demantoid. My collection is still pretty new and there are so many stones that I'd like which are less costly. However, demantoid is definitely in my future!

digitaldevo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Mine is just a booboo on a Portuguese round cut but the design it left in the stone looks very wild and I love it, so I often use it as an avatar. It is just a Bytownite from Mexico, like 10 or 11mm in size.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Got in on this thread pretty late, but I want to play too. :D

This is my papillon, Coco, when she was a puppy. It's her typical alert, interested expression. She is always thinking "What can I do for you?" and "How can I help?". She's one of those velcro dogs that is never more than five feet away, and she is at my feet when I'm typing away on my forums. Her ears aren't as big as most papillons, she looks like the 1970's version of the breed. She understands a tremendous number of words and winks one eye to say "yes" and slowly closes both eyes to say "no". Very smart breed.

I have another dog, a Japanese Chin, and she's dumb as a box of hair. But she's always cheerful and sweet and just looks at Coco to figure out what to do next. Coco had to teach her how to use the doggie door, because she would just frantically scratch on the door next to it. Coco used to go out and get her, then nudge her through. It too a few hours for her to figure it out. :lol:

If I can find a decent picture I might swap them out, so you can see both of my goofball dogs.

Dogs are the best people I know. :appl:

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
babynurse: Thank you so much. I really appreciate your comment. My new ring is being set now and I should receive it in 10 days. I will try to take good pictures of both the pendant and ring.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Babynurse, mine is my 2.05 carat tanzanite before I had it set into my pendant. I use Tanzigrrl, because I'm really into Tanzanite. By the way, I love rabbits, too. I have a 9 month old, male, Dutch, named Oliver. He is so sweet. Here's a photo!

Oliver_Harness_5.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww lookit how cute he is w/his little harness!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
Awww lookit how cute he is w/his little harness!

I'm going to thread-jack my own thread...

Hey packrat, get that stone yet?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO! It's 12:58 in the pm. Mostly sunny, westerly winds and I've stalked up and down the driveway for 20 minutes. Camera and bead board ready. Supernova ready for color difference pics. I'm antsy.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear ya and I feel your pain! Thank God Barry is so good about sending things out quickly. Can you imagine checking your mail day after day and never knowing when it will arrive? Ugh ;(

Looking forward to pics!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
:love: Gimmee a bit to take pics and resize. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results