shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s the meaning behind your SN?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 2:30:52 PM
Author: gwendolyn
Well, my story's sort of twisty-turny, but not really interesting, I don't think...

J and I posted on a forum together--my name there was 'gwenhyvaer,' one way to spell 'Guinevere,' from the Arthurian legends and (at the time) one of my cats. To tease me, he'd call me 'gwendolin,' because it was close but not quite to my SN. Well, my cat ended up dying, so 'gwenhyvaer' wasn't quite as lovely and fun to me anymore, and I quite like J's version. So that's the name I used when I signed up here, with the slight adaption to make it the Celtic spelling (with a 'y' instead of an 'i'), because I think it looks prettier and because it drives J nuts to have Celtic anything, since he's English.
11.gif
3.gif

It's much prettier than my actual name, Kristin (which no one in England can pronounce correctly!!!
11.gif
)

Kristin! Well-how do you like that?!
3.gif

You look like such a Gwendolyn to me. Very disconcerting.
9.gif

My real name is Erika. How do you do?

Sometimes I want to change my "coatimundi" name, because I think I must seem like some kind of animal freak or something (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course)

Ah! These spur of the moment username decisions!

I am actually becoming fond of "Coati," though.
1.gif

eta: Lauren--I too thought you must be a "Big-Ten" rip-roaring PARTY Girl!
3.gif
I would have never guessed that to be your last name.
It's funny, because your elegant jewelry and wedding photos (which I love) so strongly juxtapose what I originally thought!
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 7:58:24 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
OU- I attend the University of Oklahoma! I was Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead! Rah-klahoma!!! Hahah I have a lot of school spirit...

Pearlgirl- My real name means pearl so that is my original reasoning behind the name. Second, I absolutely adore pearls.. I seriously can't decide which I like better.. pearls or diamonds. That's probably why my favorite ring incorporates both!

ETA, 10 points for whoever can figure out what my first name is!
But, your screen name is PEARgirl, not PEARLgirl??

As far as the first name... Greta, Megan, Margaret (and the permutations), Gretel, Meredid, Maisie, Miette, Rita and Yi Ze all mean Pearl. Any of 'em yours?
3.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
It sometimes shows up as peargirl and other times as pearlgirl on my screen. I registered as pearlgirl and that''s what it always shows on "Logged in as : oupearlgirl" for me.

Margaret would be correct!! Although, I don''t go by Margaret, but a nickname for it!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 2:30:52 PM
Author: gwendolyn
Well, my story''s sort of twisty-turny, but not really interesting, I don''t think...

J and I posted on a forum together--my name there was ''gwenhyvaer,'' one way to spell ''Guinevere,'' from the Arthurian legends and (at the time) one of my cats. To tease me, he''d call me ''gwendolin,'' because it was close but not quite to my SN. Well, my cat ended up dying, so ''gwenhyvaer'' wasn''t quite as lovely and fun to me anymore, and I quite like J''s version. So that''s the name I used when I signed up here, with the slight adaption to make it the Celtic spelling (with a ''y'' instead of an ''i''), because I think it looks prettier and because it drives J nuts to have Celtic anything, since he''s English.
11.gif
3.gif

It''s much prettier than my actual name, Kristin (which no one in England can pronounce correctly!!!
11.gif
)
Wait, so your name''s not Gwendolyn or just Gwen? I always think that if someone uses a real name, it muse be HER name. Silly me.
9.gif

I know I''ve posted this before, and it''s probably in one of the threads that TGal referenced. I chose the name ZoeBartlett (as Gwendolyn pointed out -- it now has capitals) because I''m a huge West Wing fan and I loved the name. Zoe''s also one of my cat''s names.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 2:59:44 PM
Author: matildawong

The matildawong is a drink at this great bistro I used to hang out at in NC. It''s in a giant fishbowl and they only let you order one for the night.
I''ve never had one -- I quit drinking before I ever noticed them (ha!) but they are pretty and kind of lethal (I gather) and the name just rings cute when I think of the drink.
I''ve always wondered about your name!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 8:45:02 PM
It sometimes shows up as peargirl and other times as pearlgirl on my screen. I registered as pearlgirl and that''s what it always shows on ''Logged in as : oupearlgirl'' for me.

Margaret would be correct!! Although, I don''t go by Margaret, but a nickname for it!
Meg, Peggy, or Maggie. Which is it and do I get 10 points?
3.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is not very creative...I love diamonds, and my name is Dana
5.gif

LaurenThePartier...I always just figured you loved to party, lol!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 9:28:55 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett

It sometimes shows up as peargirl and other times as pearlgirl on my screen. I registered as pearlgirl and that''s what it always shows on ''Logged in as : oupearlgirl'' for me.

3.gif
I''m guessing Maggie?? OK 20 points to those that guess my real name. It''s not Lisa. Lisa is my nickname. Those that know like Mara, etc.... Can''t play. I know I am a meanie.
31.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 2:01:27 PM
Author: decodelighted
I wanna know about people's signature line QUOTES! Some of them make me wonder EVERY TIME I read them.

For instance:

'Women are either goddesses or doormats' Pablo Picasso

Huh? Is this meant to be empowering? My (limited) understanding of Picasso's life is that he specialized in turning Goddesses INTO Doormats ... with sadistic glee! Only one or two women made it out alive!??? Am I correct??

Wow, I've been in a hole and just now saw this. I put it up because I find it to be empowering. I know for a fact that I'm not a doormat, so I consider myself a goddess. I've done a lot of thinking about this one, and all the women in my life it seems true that the women are indeed either goddesses or doormats. In some form or another. Especially when it comes to men. Honestly, it's just unfortunate that Picasso said it because he was quite the...male chauvinist pig. But I still like the quote even if he was the one who said it.

I posted this in another thread because Zoe asked:

"The story of FrekeChild:
When I was 14 I went into a big Catholic high school. I was about 5'1 (haven't grown much, I'm 5'2 now). Anyway, I had a few classes with this big football guy who was about 6'2, he and I didn't get along in the slightest. He made fun of me every single day until I kind of snapped and bit back. So he backed off of making blatant fun of me, but began calling me Freak child. Well about that same time, my parents bought our first computer and signed us up for internet. I then decided to utilize my not very nice nickname and tried to have my screen name be "FreakChild" but it was taken. So I tried FreekChild, but I didn't like the way it looked and went with FrekeChild instead. And for the past 10 years or so, that has been my main online persona. I've googled FrekeChild a few times, and all kinds of stupid stuff comes up that I wrote years ago. It's kind of entertaining to go back and see the cr4p that comes up. Anyone remember Paradise Hotel? Ohhh...the embarrassment... (Is it bad that I want to watch Paradise Hotel 2?) I wonder if big football dude remembers that...
And so is the story of FrekeChild."

FrekeChild has become part of my identity however weird that may be. It's been with me for 10-11 years, almost half my lifetime. I even respond to Freak/Freke. And it's not pronounced Frek-E or freaky. Ugh. The BF hates it because it's spelled wrong. I WAS 14 AND FREAKCHILD WASN'T AVAILABLE DAMMIT!

And I basically use it for everything so I don't have to remember several different screen names.

Ok. Done now.

Mmm...And my real name is Liz. How do you do?

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I go to the University of Pennsylvania and our mascot is a Quaker. It was a toss up between PennQuaker or GreenWave (Tulane is known as the green wave) because neither school is exactly known for athletics. :)

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
...there are pricescope screenames that we can all figure out (ex: Door Knob Solitaire, SanDiegoLady),

Look Elmorton...Elmo...Elmer Fudd...or who ever you are...If you didn''t want me to post...you could have just titled it "everyone but..."

I suppose I will just be a spectator on this thread!

SDL...you and I can hang together...Ok? Our kind isn''t wanted here.
15.gif

matildawong

Shiny_Rock
I always read OUpearlgirl''s name as "au pair girl" even though I knew it probably wasn''t supposed to be that.

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 1:40:39 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
...there are pricescope screenames that we can all figure out (ex: Door Knob Solitaire, SanDiegoLady),

Look Elmorton...Elmo...Elmer Fudd...or who ever you are...If you didn''t want me to post...you could have just titled it ''everyone but...''

15.gif
DKS - please indulge me - I would love to know if there''s a story behind the name!

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and my real name is Rachel...

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
My screen name is pretty easy, and not very creative. It''s Sparkles22, well just "sparkles" was taken so I added my then age to the end. I picked sparkles because I like sparkly things (like...diamonds!
31.gif
).

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I love hearing about everyones screen names! Mine is pretty boring - I''m a chicka who litigates!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 5:42:27 PM
Author: mercoledi

Date: 2/20/2008 4:36:36 PM
Author: isaku5

Can we change our usernames as I''ve got one picked out? If that''s allowed, do you got back to 0 posts and Rough Rock status? Anybody know?
There must be a way because I remeber Maisie as Maisiebelle, and I finally looked it up and she was! Maybe email Andrey or something?

Mine is Italian for Wednesday. I think it''s a cool word. I had no idea it would be as confusing as it obviously was back when we had the live tv/chat sessions. Of course the one time someone called me Wednesday in return I kept scrolling through the thread trying to find this Wednesday person and her rings
20.gif
. Whattachagonnado?
Yes I was Maisiebelle and I asked for the Belle to be removed off the end.... there is only room for one Belle round here!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Look Elmorton...Elmo...Elmer Fudd...or who ever you are...If you didn''t want me to post...you could have just titled it ''everyone but...''

15.gif
Aw DKS... don''t be mad. Come sit with me..... we can eat chocolate
1.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 1:18:42 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Wow, I've been in a hole and just now saw this. I put it up because I find it to be empowering. I know for a fact that I'm not a doormat, so I consider myself a goddess. I've done a lot of thinking about this one, and all the women in my life it seems true that the women are indeed either goddesses or doormats. In some form or another. Especially when it comes to men. Honestly, it's just unfortunate that Picasso said it because he was quite the...male chauvinist pig. But I still like the quote even if he was the one who said it.
I think all women are goddesses... and I totally feel your philosophy, Frekechild, but I just wanted to mention that sometimes the dichotomizing of women into the good-bad categories is a sexist oversimplification that removes the nuances from women's behavior and forces us to behave in certain ways (like the maddonna-whore dichotomy, or snow-white versus the evil witch). Maybe the women you see fall into those categories with men because sometimes the only roles available to women are "good girl" or "bitch" (aka "goddess" to us; I know I have been desceibed with both terms depending who you ask
2.gif
). I think Picasso probably meant it in the sexist way, but I think it is good that you are looking at his sexist statement as an empowering thing for yourself! Part of changing prejudice is reclaiming the definition of terms that have been used to derogate us in the past. Like that Meredith Brooks Song, "Bitch."

DD
35.gif

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Short for: metropolitan, meaning a person who has the sophistication, fashionable taste, or other habits and manners associated with those who live in a metropolis. I''m classy!
28.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 9:51:39 AM
Author: metro
Short for: metropolitan, meaning a person who has the sophistication, fashionable taste, or other habits and manners associated with those who live in a metropolis. I''m classy!
28.gif
You certainly are!
36.gif

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is one of nicknames that I had when I was a teenager. In the goth club scene, I was nytemist, my friend was nytmaire. I went into detail in the other thread. I used to have a quote, but it vanished somehow. It was "old enough to know better, too old to care." I''ve considered updating it to "old enough to know better, young enough to get away with it."

One good friend in high school called me She-ra, since I was into sports, lifting weights and do not have a small build. Others called me ''Madame Butterfly'', since I was mainly butterfliy/distance in swim meets.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 5:15:45 PM
Author: ladypirate
I like pirates...and I am a lady. I know, not super creative.

My signature is slightly more interesting. I'm in a (geeky rock) band with some friends and we have a song called Hot Chocolate--my signature is the lyrics to the chorus.
I LOVE your sig. I think it is my favourite sig out of all the sigs in the entire universe. Therefore, it logically ensues that I love your band too.
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 6:22:34 PM
Author: Krissie
Kristin - I totally feel you. I always got ''Kirsten'' in the UK (I''m a Kristen, too).
I get ''Kristine'' more than anything else, with the occasional dash of ''Christina'' and ''Kirsten'' too. But seriously, 98% of people here call me Kristine. And they''ve known me for 6 months now, and they still don''t get it right. It''s kinda surreal.

C/Koati/Erika: Nice to meet you too!! Thanks, I''m very glad I look like a Gwendolyn to you! Sorry if there''s disappointment in my real name--I''m not too fond of it myself.
3.gif

ZoeBartlett: I once asked you, aaaaages ago, if you chose that name based on The West Wing, because it''s one of my all-time favourite shows!! I wasn''t sure though, because I thought the name in the show had only one ''t'' at the end? I thought if it wasn''t from that show, that it must be your name, so I guess we''re even.
2.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perry

Either I write a book on it, or I say next to nothing on it.

The choice, for me, is obvious
2.gif

Others may want to chime in - or even join me.

Perry

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 11:01:03 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 2/20/2008 9:28:55 PM

Author: ZoeBartlett

3.gif
I''m guessing Maggie?? OK 20 points to those that guess my real name. It''s not Lisa. Lisa is my nickname. Those that know like Mara, etc.... Can''t play. I know I am a meanie.
31.gif

Meg would be correct :) Some people in my family call me Maggie followed by my middle name.. But most everyone calls me Meg.. Unless they come up with a silly nickname like Large Marge or Leggo my Meggo... You wouldn''t believe the weird nicknames people come up with!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock

15.gif
Can I join you two? I think mine is pretty self-explanatory.

(Btw, my avatar is me in "Mii" form.)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Wow, some really interesting stories on here....

My SN story:

When I came to PS, I knew a great love of diamonds, but alas, I was lost when it came to finding good ones. My best friend and I have a "something shiny law". When we take one of our numerous road trips, we INVOKE the SOMETHING SHINY LAW (the words we use are "OOOH! LOOK!! Something Shiny!!!) which means, allow ourselves to be side-tracked by anything that catches our attention. It started with this really shiny car, it was all silver metallic. We were utterly misplaced (we don''t get "lost") and the car was so shiny and sparkly we just started following it. We ended up having one of the best times after following the car. So, something shiny led us to one of our best adventures. And, being lost when it came to diamonds, and wanting to find really great ones, and the obvious "shiny-ness" of diamonds, it just seemed appropriate.

As for my quotes, I have pages of quotes that I have hanging on my fridge. They are all inspirational to me in some way. I usually put the quote that coincides with what I''m trying to work on at the time. Currently, I''ve been having issues with my family and I''m starting Yoga. So, "flexible people never get bent out of shape" seems to fit.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 1:18:42 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Mmm...And my real name is Liz. How do you do?

My real name is Liz, too! Nifty. [:razz:]

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I am still processing the fact that LTP''s maiden name is Partier! LOL!

My SN is not all that exciting. It is one of my childhood nicknames. My close friends have never called me by my actual name. It has always been Jool, Jools, Joolskie, Joolsie, Jay... everything but Julie. Which is my first name. Hi everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results