shape
carat
color
clarity

What's for Christmas Dinner?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love your aunts !
Store brought ones- even from a nice bakery are usually gross and too dry and not rummy enough
I used my left over fruit cake fruit that was soaked in rum since last year - but i added more rum as well

Silly question but have to ask..Did you freeze it?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are having Christmas lunch.

Fried noodles
Crispy fried pork
Red rice
Roast chicken with green sauce
Crispy fried quails
Buttered potatoes
Mixed vegetable stir fry
Vietnamese coconut milk drink with all the fruit and jelly bits
Berry cream sponge
Fruit platter

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You realize now I have to make rum balls
for New Years Day! :lol-2:
Your making me think about a 3rd !

Remember don't skimp on the rum ...
And the best rum you have
I once did a brandy distillery tour in Wellington South Africa - and the quide drilled into us to only cook with what we would enjoy drinking!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Silly question but have to ask..Did you freeze it?

Yes
See Its a bit moist
i was trying to make it almost kato and i used coconut flour instead of mushed up biscuits or cake

And i forgot coconut flour is super absorbent
And it was dry

So i added lots of condensed milk
And melted chocolate
But then ..... it needed more rum

Usually i set them in the freezer and then keep them in the fridge

also if they are in the freezer i don't see them everytime i make Gary a cup of tea

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with a good tuna sandwhich !

True, I don't usually have a problem with it, but man its been nothing but pandemonium with work and I've been trying to order from restaurants (as apparently has everyone else!!!) I go on strike especially for Christmas.

On a more serious note, we're going to have green beans and probably some meat thawed from the freezer with baked sweet potatoes with goat cheese. I'll be making brownies for us, the dog will have her doggie ice cream. Thats whats based on what we currently have in the kitchen. I honestly don't want to cook but looks like I'll have very little choices!! Unless I make a tuna sandwich...lol

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes
See Its a bit moist
i was trying to make it almost kato and i used coconut flour instead of mushed up biscuits or cake

And i forgot coconut flour is super absorbent
And it was dry

So i added lots of condensed milk
And melted chocolate
But then ..... it needed more rum

Usually i set them in the freezer and then keep them in the fridge

also if they are in the freezer i don't see them everytime i make Gary a cup of tea

If I had those even in my freezer...they would be calling my name. They would never last long...Yum

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
True, I don't usually have a problem with it, but man its been nothing but pandemonium with work and I've been trying to order from restaurants (as apparently has everyone else!!!) I go on strike especially for Christmas.

On a more serious note, we're going to have green beans and probably some meat thawed from the freezer with baked sweet potatoes with goat cheese. I'll be making brownies for us, the dog will have her doggie ice cream. Thats whats based on what we currently have in the kitchen. I honestly don't want to cook but looks like I'll have very little choices!! Unless I make a tuna sandwich...lol

Sounds yum
Xmas doesn't need to be a huge production to taste good.
I love green beans

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I had those even in my freezer...they would be calling my name. They would never last long...Yum

I think the trouble is i forgot breakfast because believe me when i say they are definatly calling my name - even though i purposely put them in the freezer in the bar fridge that lives in the wash house -and i have to go out the back door to get to it !

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the trouble is i forgot breakfast because believe me when i say they are definatly calling my name - even though i purposely put them in the freezer in the bar fridge that lives in the wash house -and i have to go out the back door to get to it !

Haha! I have a fridge in the garage that I put things in that I don’t want to eat. It’s not working..

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We started a tradition of a prime rib roast a few years back. This year DH surprised me by purchasing this year's all on his own. :) We will have mashed potatoes and gravy, roasted green beans, some other vegetable and home made bread. I have no idea what family is bringing over for dessert.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s so festive!! That little gingerbread man makes me happy.

Aww I'm glad! My little sister adores Christmas (to the point where she celebrates Christmas in July) so it was worth the extra effort to have Christmas jellies floating around in her dessert.

This is for breakfast tomorrow. They are pound cake wreaths

PXL_20201216_094945945.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww I'm glad! My little sister adores Christmas (to the point where she celebrates Christmas in July) so it was worth the extra effort to have Christmas jellies floating around in her dessert.

This is for breakfast tomorrow. They are pound cake wreaths

PXL_20201216_094945945.jpg

Don't know what they are but im keen !

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Everyone's food sounds amazing!!! I'm making it up as I go along. Last night I made the cheesecake and tonight the eggnog!! Tomorrow will make the breakfast casserole. Christmas menu of ham, potatoes, collards and cheesecake for dessert! Here's the nog 20201223_190741.jpg 20201223_203922.jpg

Attachments

• 20201223_204002.jpg
    20201223_204002.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 21

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm ticking off chores too
I always think its not quite right to do washing on Jesus' birthday and there is a gap in the rain

Its sooo hot out there, i am almost konked out because im now starving- meanwhile Gary's complaining that its tuna and noddles for lunch
He said all that money for groceries ???... (that has to feed is for two weeks)
He's thinking of past years where the whole week is indulgent
They are nice noodles and tuna,- i pack them with frozen veg and he adds his hot sauces

Got the rest of the decorations out and filled a couple of vases with hydrangeas from the garden
- its not my best work - im not st all happy with it but im not changing it now

Angel on the windowsill drying the glue to stick her wings back on, poor thing - has sat wingless in a drawer all year

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone's food sounds amazing!!! I'm making it up as I go along. Last night I made the cheesecake and tonight the eggnog!! Tomorrow will make the breakfast casserole. Christmas menu of ham, potatoes, collards and cheesecake for dessert! Here's the nog 20201223_190741.jpg 20201223_203922.jpg

Thanks for the reminder
That's my next thing
What type of booze do you recomend ?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks yummy @bling_dream19!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Daisys and Diamonds and @MamaBee I make it without the booze and one can add if they choose. I can't wait to add it to my coffee tomorrow! It actually tastes better without the booze but if one wants a little something, may I suggest cognac, bourbon or whiskey. My dad has been asking for this since Halloween lol! Hubby and I had a glas tonight. This is what's left of one hard. Dad says we are deleting his inventory lol. I assured him we will not touch the remaining two jars. Merry Christmas! 20201223_215959.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are having Alaskan king crab legs, potato cheese casserole, jello pretzel salad, Cranberry Brie Bites and roasted Brussel sprouts for dinner Christmas Eve.
In the morning I am getting up early and making something we call Hinoki wings (named after the family that made them for us when on of my kids was born) My kids love them and they are a huge pain to make so I only make them on special occasions. I think I have 160.

Christmas Day I am going to make cinnamon rolls for breakfast (already done and in a pan in the freezer). For dinner, Bacon wrapped filet, sautéed mushrooms, twice baked sweet potatoes, and two sauces for the steaks- a port wine with blue cheese sauce and a sherry with thyme sauce. I have baked 3 pumpkin, a pecan and cherry pie and will make homemade ice cream to go with. Oh, and I will make rolls for Christmas Day's dinner.

I am looking forward to Saturday. I don't know how many more years I will get the spend the holidays with all my kids so I am cooking their favorite things while I can.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That looks amazing. Lil Sis is an eggnog enthusiast but I know nothing about it so she has the drink stuff from the supermarket. She would love to try yours!!!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Daisys and Diamonds and @MamaBee I make it without the booze and one can add if they choose. I can't wait to add it to my coffee tomorrow! It actually tastes better without the booze but if one wants a little something, may I suggest cognac, bourbon or whiskey. My dad has been asking for this since Halloween lol! Hubby and I had a glas tonight. This is what's left of one hard. Dad says we are deleting his inventory lol. I assured him we will not touch the remaining two jars. Merry Christmas! 20201223_215959.jpg

You'rs looks awaome !

Holy cr#p mine was almost a disaster
I had it all made (a small batch just for two) i used the honey bourbon
Anyway i was rinsing the mugs and left the hot water in them while i went to close the windows
Came back and starter to pour the eggnog into a cup half full if hot water
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh !

Ive had to top it up with some milk to get two mug fulls

Its kind of like a really rich alcoholic egg flip !

Now it's in the freezer cooling down- hope i don't forget it's in there !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.30 pm Christmas eve here
I just rearranged the decorations
Im not doing the big tree this year

Im thinking i should be looking at the pizza bread recepie for the xmas tree cheese bread for breakfast to see what tume i need to get up for the bread to rise ....
Edit
@making dough before i go to bed

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Were having Christmas dinner tomorrow on Christmas Eve for once.

I will be making a dinner that the men in my family will eat. Sadly anything exotic or different is out of the question as our boys like their "meat and potatoes"! Haha

Were having a huge prime rib, with a "glaze/gravy" made from it's juices during cooking, my twice baked potatoes (sour cream, chives, bacon, salt, pepper, garlic salt all mashed up and then placed back into the skins and cooked) sweet/savory brussel sprouts cooked crispy on the outside with bits of bacon and balsamic vinegar, green beans (for the ppl who hate brussels), corn bread & crescent rolls, & cranberry sauce.

For desert my mother is making her famous pecan pies made from the local pecan farmers in our city that we've grown up with & I will be making my apple & blackberry pie.

Gonna be a lot of work!
Wish me luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results