shape
carat
color
clarity

What's for Christmas Dinner?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
This is all I have to say, why oh why is Santa Clause male when all the Christmas magic depends on us females??

I've always found this SNL skit to hit a little too close to home lol

It literally couldn't be more truthful!

Laughing so hard right now my cats think that I've gone nuts!

"And I burned my arm in the oven!

It hurt pretty bad, but I didn't even scream because I keep the pain inside of me! :wall:"

Bahahahaha

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is all I have to say, why oh why is Santa Clause male when all the Christmas magic depends on us females??

Exactly how i feel
I just served up xmas ham sandwhiches with a,lovelly cup of home made French onion soup
Followed by my first ever eggnog and a rum ball to finish

He said he liked the eggnog but don't make it again
Then he said he doesn't really like rum balls

Then i noticed he left one sandwhich (they are really great sandwhiches - we look forward to them every year)
Once i get a job i'd be happy to buy a wee ham like that on a regular basis - it was really tasty - i must remember the brand

Then he said.
Tea (that's what we call dinner) wasn't overly great
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

I thought the eggnog was good - but much thicker than i expected
1608797181737312077248.thumb.jpg.8779c8bd9bed249e9e41339cb2995c96.jpg

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My xmas is the 24th as we did all présents aside from Santa's (duh) in the evening. We are not religious. So it is all about food and decorations. Fondue half gruyère half vacherin, with lots of wine. My partner is a brit and will make a roast on the 25th. All we care about is the gravy. So if that's good, we'll call it a success.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:angryfire: How ungrateful after you did all that for him @Daisys and Diamonds. My DH isn’t perfect (who is?) but he always appreciates the time and effort I put in to meals. The deal in our house is that I cook, and he does all the cleaning up, which suits me fine, I like cooking but hate washing up afterwards.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah - I've never seen anything like this?! What is this mainly made of, the white jelly?
Do you have an online recipe?

Thanks! Looks beautiful & festive - makes you smile

The white liquid is coconut milk mixed with milk and then you can add all sorts of Asian canned fruits to it.

This site gives a really great run down of what's it in.

The Christmas jellies in it are made out of agar which is firmer than gelatin. They are pandan flavored and the green color is natural from my pandan plant.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The white liquid is coconut milk mixed with milk and then you can add all sorts of Asian canned fruits to it.

The Christmas jellies in it are made out of agar which is firmer than gelatin. They are pandan flavored and the green color is natural from my pandan plant.

I have admiere this of your's before
Does the tapioca thicken it all up
Is it custard like? Or jelly like ?

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
We are having roast turkey with sage & onion stuffing & cranberry sauce.Roast potatoes, roast honey glazed parsnips, glazed carrots, brussel sprouts & bread sauce followed by Christmas pudding & home made brandy butter. I feel full up just reading it:P2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
:angryfire: How ungrateful after you did all that for him @Daisys and Diamonds. My DH isn’t perfect (who is?) but he always appreciates the time and effort I put in to meals. The deal in our house is that I cook, and he does all the cleaning up, which suits me fine, I like cooking but hate washing up afterwards.

Thank you Austina
Im warn out now

Just made the pizza bread for the chrese xmas trees for breakfast
I don't have a dough hook or an electric beater and the bread maker is in a moving box somewhere ..... ???

I think the trouble is i drank quite a lot of burbon when i was making the eggnog !!

Anyway its been years since i made bread by hand - i don't remenber the writting being so small on the bottle of yeast (completly missed shake bottle first) but it always worked out when i made plaits as a kid
Mum used to get me vitamin C tablets for my bread but i read on the internet you can use lemon juice (i can't remenber what its even for)
My mix seemed awfully dry so i poured in more olive oil

Then Gary said is it even worth it ?- using the oven etc
(It takes 15min to bake)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have admiere this of your's before
Does the tapioca thicken it all up
Is it custard like? Or jelly like ?

No it's like a drink, not thick at all.

Do you know Pearl milk tea (I think they call it boba tea in the US)?

It's the same consistency so like a cold drink but with bits of fruit and jelly in it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly how i feel
I just served up xmas ham sandwhiches with a,lovelly cup of home made French onion soup
Followed by my first ever eggnog and a rum ball to finish

He said he liked the eggnog but don't make it again
Then he said he doesn't really like rum balls

Then i noticed he left one sandwhich (they are really great sandwhiches - we look forward to them every year)
Once i get a job i'd be happy to buy a wee ham like that on a regular basis - it was really tasty - i must remember the brand

Then he said.
Tea (that's what we call dinner) wasn't overly great
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

I thought the eggnog was good - but much thicker than i expected
1608797181737312077248.thumb.jpg.8779c8bd9bed249e9e41339cb2995c96.jpg

That makes me mad @Daisys and Diamonds! That’s just not right. I sympathize because I will go make a big effort to make something my husband likes and he won’t say it’s good or anything. I have to ask..He’ll then make a
face and say it’s okay or shrug his shoulders. Meantime everyone else
says it’s delicious..It makes me so mad. I occasionally go on strike and not put an effort out. Make what you like and enjoy it! You sound like a wonderful creative cook!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That makes me mad @Daisys and Diamonds! That’s just not right. I sympathize because I will go make a big effort to make something my husband likes and he won’t say it’s good or anything. I have to ask..He’ll then make a
face and say it’s okay or shrug his shoulders. Meantime everyone else
says it’s delicious..It makes me so mad. I occasionally go on strike and not put an effort out. Make what you like and enjoy it! You sound like a wonderful creative cook!

Tell your DH to make his own (Christmas or other) dinner if he cannot appreciate all the love and hard work you put into it @MamaBee.

01081_makeyourown-300x300.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is the 51st wedding anniversary of my aunt and uncle. This is the cake she baked for the occasion. Delish! She is an awesome baker and only Greg rivals her baking skills.

chocolatecake.jpeg

Happy 51st Anniversary to Anne and Harvey!!! We cannot be there with them but we are there in spirit and looking forward to our family GTG as soon as the pandemic is over and it is safe to see them.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are Italian so all carbs and meat.:lol:
On Christmas Eve we‘re supposed to do fish but I hate it...
Assorted olives, cheeses, artichoke, red peppers stuffed with cheese..marinated mushrooms for my mom..yuck..
For dinner I’m making my homemade Sicilian deep dish pizza with sausage...My husband will make Mudslides for dessert...It’s basically truffle chocolate ice cream and Bailey’s Irish cream.
Christmas Day we will have quiche for brunch with fruit...
We usually have mimosas but we’re skipping it this year.
Raviolis with homemade meatballs and pork in sauce...
Arugula with blue cheese, walnuts and dressing
Dessert is just simple ice cream, cherry pie with vanilla ice cream and more Mudslides..haha

Fellow paisana here!
Mom always made the fish on Christmas eve. I have done it too, but not for several years now.
I am making a pan of lasagna this year. There are only two of us, and it will last all week!
I will be making pizzelles later today. So much fun!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This looks awesome! I always get the che desserts at the Vietnamese deli. So delish!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Today is the 51st wedding anniversary of my aunt and uncle. This is the cake she baked for the occasion. Delish! She is an awesome baker and only Greg rivals her baking skills.

chocolatecake.jpeg

Happy 51st Anniversary to Anne and Harvey!!! We cannot be there with them but we are there in spirit and looking forward to our family GTG as soon as the pandemic is over and it is safe to see them.

Happy 51st Anniversary Anne and Harvey!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fellow paisana here!
Mom always made the fish on Christmas eve. I have done it too, but not for several years now.
I am making a pan of lasagna this year. There are only two of us, and it will last all week!

:wavey: @stracci2000! My friend makes her own pizzelles. They’re melt in your mouth delicious!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just cooked my Christmas ham, it’s only a little one, but it’s smelling good. I’ve been basting it with the honey and mustard glaze I put on it, and will continue to do that whilst it’s cooling.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fellow paisana here!

I love lasagna! Maybe we will try vegetarian lasagna tomorrow.

This recipe looks promising.

Vegan-Lasagna-Recipe-34.jpg

DESCRIPTION​

This vegan lasagna recipe is layered with vegan bolognese, vegan ricotta, a vegan cheese sauce and a marinara sauce for the most deliciously decadent lasagna ever!

INGREDIENTS​

For the Vegan Bolognese:
  • 8oz (~220g) Extra Firm Tofu
  • 1 cup (100g) Walnuts
  • 8oz (226g) Cremini Mushrooms (2 and 1/3 cups)*
  • 1/2 Onion (Chopped)
  • 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
  • 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Dried Basil
  • 1 tsp Oregano
  • 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 cup (130g) Tomato Paste
  • 1 cup (240ml) Marinara Sauce*
  • 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar*
  • Salt and Pepper (to taste)
For the Vegan Cheese Sauce:
For the Vegan Ricotta:
For the Marinara Sauce:
  • 2 and 1/2 cups (600ml) Marinara Sauce*
For Assembling:
  • 12 Sheets Spinach Lasagna*
  • 4 Small (~9oz/255g) Zucchini (Sliced)
For Decorating:
  • Marinara Sauce
  • Fresh Basil (Chopped)
  • Dried Basil
  • Ground Black Pepper

INSTRUCTIONS​

1. If you’re making the vegan ricotta from scratch as per our recipe, then put your slivered almonds in a bowl, pour over some boiling water from the kettle and leave them to soak for 1 hour.
  2. Prepare your vegan bolognese. Mash the tofu with a fork and add to a mixing bowl, process the walnuts into crumbs in the food processor and then add to the mixing bowl. Finally, slice your mushrooms and add to the food processor and process until very finely chopped and then add to the mixing bowl. Mix together.
  3. Add the chopped onion to a pot with the crushed garlic, olive oil, dried basil, oregano and cayenne pepper and sauté until the onions are softened. Add in the tofu/walnut/mushroom mix along with the dark soy sauce, tomato paste and marinara sauce and sauté until you have a soft bolognese sauce with no visible liquid.
  4. Add in the coconut sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Prepare your vegan cheese sauce. Add the olive oil to a pot and let it heat until hot. Then add in the flour and fry it briefly in the oil, stirring vigorously and then add in your soy milk and whisk it vigorously to get rid of lumps. Bring it to the boil stirring constantly. When it boils let it continue to boil, stirring all the while, for a few minutes until it thickens.
  6. Remove it from the heat and add in the dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and ground black pepper and stir in.
  7. Prepare your vegan ricotta according to the instructions on the linked recipe.
  8. Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
  9. Begin assembling your lasagna.
  10. Add a thin layer of marinara sauce to the bottom of a deep 9×13 baking dish.
  11. Then add 4 sheets of spinach lasagna noodles.
  12. Then add half the vegan bolognese and spread it into an even layer.
  13. Then add a thin layer of vegan cheese sauce.
  14. Then add a layer of sliced zucchini.
  15. Then add all the vegan ricotta into one thick layer.
  16. Then add 4 sheets of spinach lasagna noodles.
  17. Then add another layer of marinara sauce.
  18. Then add another thin layer of vegan cheese sauce, leaving the remainder to add on last.
  19. Then add the rest of the vegan bolognese.
  20. Then add a layer of sliced zucchini.
  21. Then add another 4 sheets of spinach lasagna noodles.
  22. Then add another layer of marinara, leaving a small amount behind for decorating the top.
  23. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  24. After 30 minutes bring it out, remove the foil and add all the remaining vegan cheese sauce to the top.
  25. Return to the oven and bake uncovered for a further 20 minutes.
  26. Bring it out, stick in a knife to make sure it’s cooked, and then add a generous drizzle of marinara sauce to the middle section of the baked lasagna.
  27. Decorate with fresh chopped basil, dried basil and ground black pepper.

NOTES​

*These mushrooms are also known as ‘portobellini’, ‘baby bella’, or ‘baby portobello’ mushrooms.
*We used a simple store-bought marinara sauce. Use whatever marinara sauce is your favorite.
*Brown sugar can be used instead of coconut sugar.
*We found soy milk the best for this vegan cheese sauce in light of the other flavors of the lasagna. It just worked really well. We also tried some with coconut milk and it works fine, but for overall flavor with the other elements of this lasagna soy milk tasted best.
*You don’t have to use spinach lasagna you can use plain lasagna, that’s up to you. Ideally you want to use a brand that does not require pre-cooking.
*This recipe was first published in March 2019.

NUTRITION​

• Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
  • Calories: 673
  • Sugar: 14.7g
  • Sodium: 1470mg
  • Fat: 42.9g
  • Saturated Fat: 7.4g
  • Carbohydrates: 53.9g
  • Fiber: 8.3g
  • Protein: 24.4g

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: @stracci2000! My friend makes her own pizzelles. They’re melt in your mouth delicious!

My grandma used to make the best. With anise!
She kept them in a coffee can lined with wax paper, to stay fresh.
So I make them in her memory.

I have bought DeLallo's before (made right there in PA!) but homemade are still the best.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
We are keeping it simple for just the two of us. Turkey breast, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and cranberry sauce. We'll have pumpkin pie with whipped cream for dessert.

I see a lot of you ladies are making mashed potatoes to go with your Christmas dinner. I'm wondering how you all make yours? I mash mine & add butter & cream & mix until it is smooth as silk=)2 Please tell me how you make yours

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks awesome! I always get the che desserts at the Vietnamese deli. So delish!

Oh which ones do you like? Have you had the che dau trang (the one with the black eye peas)? I love that one!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a lot of you ladies are making mashed potatoes to go with your Christmas dinner. I'm wondering how you all make yours? I mash mine & add butter & cream & mix until it is smooth as silk=)2 Please tell me how you make yours

I don't eat mash potatoes anymore but enjoy mashed sweet potatoes and mashed cauliflower. That is actually so delicious.

But here is how my DH makes mashed potatoes.

Cut them up
Boil them til soft enough to mash
Leave the skin on
Mash by hand
Add butter, not cream, and maybe some milk
We like them chunky, not smooth
And individually add salt and pepper to your taste

Mashed Cauliflower recipe:

Cauliflower mash:
Boil organic cauliflower head in water till soft 15-30 minutes
White beans boil (soak overnight)
Add Olive Oil
Mash up well together

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh which ones do you like? Have you had the che dau trang (the one with the black eye peas)? I love that one!!!

The place I go to is a bahn mi bakery.

I like the mung bean balls in ginger syrup. And three color dessert.
And the potatoes with tapioca in coconut milk. So good!
When I go there, I always get a piece of pandan cake, too.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results