carat
color
clarity

What's for Christmas Dinner?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm making:

Bacon wrapped bourbon & maple syrup glazed boneless pork loin, mashed potatoes (a mountain of potatoes because....carbs), brussels sprouts, biscuits & green salad.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Prime rib roast (garlic rosemary) with horseradish sauce, creamed spinach, mashed potatoes, and mac N cheese (no holiday in our family is complete without homemade Mac N cheese). Pecan pie for dessert.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, still deciding. We do our big meal Christmas Eve, with a brunch meal on Christmas morning. Right now, Christmas Eve dinner will be grilled herb marinated tri-tip, gratin of potatoes, and salad, but some fresh pasta and truffles are to arrive any minute, so in a nod to complete OTT-ness, I'd like to include them as well. Christmas brunch is all my son, and his menu is changing from fried chicken and waffles, to eggs, sausage and hash browns, to beignets...we'll see what he lands on, but I'm sure it will be good, especially with mimosas!

Oh yeah, and for Christmas Eve dessert: warm ginger cake with homemade whipped cream. Sigh of happiness.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christmas brunch is all my son, and his menu is changing from fried chicken and waffles, to eggs, sausage and hash browns, to beignets.

He should make all of that and then tell me what time to show up. I'll wear a hazmat suit, grab the food and leave.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roast turkey, roast potatoes, honey glazed parsnips, carrots, cauliflower cheese, sautéed sprouts with onions and bacon, pigs in blankets, stuffing, Yorkshire puddings, gravy, cranberry sauce for OH, Worcestershire sauce for me. Followed by Christmas pudding and cream :lickout:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m making sumac spiced beef fillet with heirloom tomato caprese salad and grilled asparagus with pomegranate molasses and balsamic drizzle, smashed roast new potato salad with creme fraiche and quick pickle onions; gingerbread roulade with creme patisserie and poached rhubarb.
My MiL is making a couple of Ottolenghi salads, lamb koftas, boysenberry flummery and coconut pannacotta.
It should be a summer day but we’ve got rain and mid-teen temperatures forecast so we’ll be inside, boo.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Usually Xmas eve is my dad's side, and there's usually Chili (I have NO IDEA how this started), meatballs of some kind, and then a boatload of other stuff like buffalo wing dip. Since we are not having everyone this year, my dad still made chili and my brother and sister and their families will be coming over on Xmas day, assuming my sister feels ok (she just got out of the hospital for pneumonia) and they want to still do all that. Xmas Day for the last probably 10 years has been just the immediate family for a few hours then everyone scatters. My mom's side USED to be Xmas day but now everyone is married and going a million directions. I kind of loved a few of those years being nothing at all bec that's how I saw some movies in the theater!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nibbles when I get up to start the day with a glass of Bucks Fizz would be prawns with Marie Rose Sauce topped with lumpfish roe crackers, and homemade Gravlax with a dill sauce topped with trout roe on different crackers.

Starter will be baked crab gratin with Ciabata toast.

Roast goose with a tangy spicy sauce, and all the trimmings, including pigs in blankets, roast potatoes and parsnip, and stir-fried mixed vegetables.

Crème brûlée for dessert; French cheeces (Époisses, Camembert and Roquefort) with Quince jelly, celery and another type of crackers to finish.

There will be red wine with the main course, and a large glass of port with the cheeses.

Can't wait!

DK :lickout:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing fancy. Just doing a turkey with mashed potatos with gravy, stuffing, and broccoli. I have a cheesecake for dessert although I might make some oatmeal raisin cookies too. We will see what I have energy for.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still debating which meal on which day.... The big day for the kids is Christmas Eve (we're opening the presents late on Christmas Eve -German tradition)

So far we think it'll be :
Christmas Eve:

Apéritif : crudités and homemade herb dip, little filo pastry dumplings filles with different vegetable stuffings some potato chips and saucisson for the kids
Champagne for Dh and me... Apple juice for the kids
Starter
Smoked wild Salmon with mini herb blinis and tzaziki
Main course
roast Capon with morel stuffing, mashed potatoes (DH and my portion truffled with white truffle
...kids LOATHE this , though), kale (traditional German recipe), red cabbage , glazed carrots, rutabaga mash, LOTS of homemade gravy, white basmati rice for DS , who's...a picky eater

red wine or cidre for the adults

Green salad

Cheese (Neufchâtel, Pont l'évêque, 36 month old Gouda, Comté, gorgonzola, Crottin de chavignol)

Red wine for the adults

Christmas ice cream cake in the shape of a ski cabin... don't ask...kids will LOVE it and it's from a nice brand, so should taste fine (chocolate, crispy nougat and salted caramel flavour)

Christmas Day:

Same apéritif

Oysters for DH (no one else likes them..)

Champagne for adults

Starter
Crab claws with homemade mayonnaise

Filet steak with scalloped potatoes, green beans , peas, broccoli and onions (just fresh onions fried in the pan after the meat is out), Brussels sprouts a la crème

Red wine for the adults

Cheese (see above)

Dessert :

Leftover ski cabin :lol:

Homemade Cookies (eating those non stop!!)

Coffee

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Making chunky tourtiere right now. Just finished the butter tarts and the pastry is fabu! Nachos for an afternoon bite before supper.

Bacon wrapped Beef tenderloin from our favorite steak house on Christmas Eve. Take out.

Prime rib Christmas day , cabbage rolls, Yorkshire pudding, herbed mashed potatoes .

Boxing day, thin pizza from our favorite pizza place. Take out.

Champagne, cocktails and beer galore!

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've by some miricle managed to plan a reasonably festive day for two without a ton of exspensive
And remember its summer here and right now wet and humid

I still have most of my 2nd xmas cake - Carabian flavours - i love my rum

Christmas eve breaking out the (very small) ham for sandwiches for tea- have been holding off because its so small- normally we would have been eatting it already
then im going to have a go at a small eggnog recepie- never had eggnog before but i have some honey bourbon
And some rum balls i made last night
May be making the eggnog with rum ? - going to let Gary deside

Xmas breakfast
Pizza bread xmas tree with cheess baked inside

Undesided if its salad for lunch or tea ?

but a really festive chicken and bacon salad with pine nuts, brei and pomegranate - apricot cheesecake and berries

Main xmas meal
Hedgehog kumera
Boiled new minted potatoes
Minted peas
Maple carrots
Cold ham
tomatoes (they are so good right now)
Apricot cheese cake and berries

Because there won't be leftovers
ive made sure there will be more cheese cake for boxing day and ham sandwhiches

For health and finacial reasons we have given up snacks
sigh
but i did buy some of these (its xmas mince pies for peeps who don't like xmas fruit mince)
Ernest-Adams-Christmas-Tarts-Black-Forest-Bites.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh i forgot to add
The kitties (Borris, Tibby and the wee grey stray kitten plus the abandened tom mommy-cat from behind the garden shed) will all be having chicken on Christmas day
Im going to do a chook just for them when i do the chicken breasts for our salad
(Well i'll probably nibble on the wings because its too fiddly separating the meat from the bone on the wings)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are Italian so all carbs and meat.:lol:
On Christmas Eve we‘re supposed to do fish but I hate it...
Assorted olives, cheeses, artichoke, red peppers stuffed with cheese..marinated mushrooms for my mom..yuck..
For dinner I’m making my homemade Sicilian deep dish pizza with sausage...My husband will make Mudslides for dessert...It’s basically truffle chocolate ice cream and Bailey’s Irish cream.
Christmas Day we will have quiche for brunch with fruit...
We usually have mimosas but we’re skipping it this year.
Raviolis with homemade meatballs and pork in sauce...
Arugula with blue cheese, walnuts and dressing
Dessert is just simple ice cream, cherry pie with vanilla ice cream and more Mudslides..haha

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have two. One of my aunts used to make very boozy rum balls. I actually got tipsy from eating (too many of) them.

I would love your aunts !
Store brought ones- even from a nice bakery are usually gross and too dry and not rummy enough
I used my left over fruit cake fruit that was soaked in rum since last year - but i added more rum as well

voce

Ideal_Rock
Going super non-traditional. It's going to be teppanyaki with an assortment of meat, vegetables, shrimp and maybe even salmon grilling on the hot plate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results