shape
carat
color
clarity

What Kind of Ring are You Getting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm good question. I jokingly asked my SO when he was going to propose and his response was "when you can actually decide on a ring you want" uh oh... haha. I''m getting close though!!!!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 7:30:30 PM
Author: IndyLady
I wish I knew what kind of ring I wanted! My SO and I have been looking, and finding ''the one'' is hard. We know what we don''t want, but we haven''t found what we do want. I need to start an inspiration folder.

So tell me, how did you ladies find ''the one'' when it came to your ring? Did you start with inspiration pics, did you dream it up, was it a style that already exists? Did you worry about durability when it came to long term wear? Did you worry about costs? Did you put more into the center stone, or the setting? Or rather, did he chose the ring ring without any input?

I was just lurking on this thread, but I thought I would try to help. I figured out what I wanted for my center stone and let my FI know. I have always had a hard time figuring out a setting. Well, I guess he figured that out because he proposed to me with the stone of my dreams and let me pick out my setting.

Fast forward 5 months, I still don''t know....I am going to see some next week. I have always known what I wanted for a wedding band, so I am going backwards. I am having the band made first than the e-ring.

Other factors. I want platinum, I need something that will stand up to kids (a moderate ring, I think pave is too delicate, but a bezel is overkill). I want sometime simple, elegant, timeless with clean lines.

I would start by finding the perfect stone. Especially with colored stones, they are so individual that sometimes they tell you how they need to be set. Than I would write a few adjectives you would want another person to use when talking about your ring, than go from there.....

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Oh don''t get me wrong...I love white gold (or platinum or silver), too. My watch is two-tone, which I think sort of ties everything together, so I plan to wear both white and yellow jewelry with reckless abandon! But for my engagement ring, I just couldn''t imagine anything other than yellow gold.

Paveprincess, your ring is amazing. Absolutely breathtaking.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Fun thread! I wish I had pics to post, but I haven''t been able to find any really good ones of exactly what we''re looking at. I''m in love with emerald cuts and Vatche-style x-prongs, so I think that''s what we''re going with...closest I''ve ever seen a photo of is the one in this thread, which has baguettes (I like solitaires). Of course, B could end up picking something totally different, so we''ll just have to wait and see
3.gif

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Thank you blacksand! It''s driving me nuts that he looks at it all the time, but it''s 3,000 miles away from me.. grr.. hehe.

I love how you plan on mixing metals.. I plan to rock the two-tone look as well. Although I''m considering pink diamonds in rose gold for wedding bands, so that would be three-tones!

Also, THANK YOU luckynumber for starting this thread! I was considering starting one as well since I''m a crow and I LOVE drooling over other rings!
30.gif
BEAUTIFUL future rings ladies. I''m very happy for all of you!

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 11:33:29 PM
Author: PavePrincess
Thank you blacksand! It''s driving me nuts that he looks at it all the time, but it''s 3,000 miles away from me.. grr.. hehe.

I love how you plan on mixing metals.. I plan to rock the two-tone look as well. Although I''m considering pink diamonds in rose gold for wedding bands, so that would be three-tones!

Also, THANK YOU luckynumber for starting this thread! I was considering starting one as well since I''m a crow and I LOVE drooling over other rings!
30.gif
BEAUTIFUL future rings ladies. I''m very happy for all of you!
omg paveprincess... YOU DON''T HAVE IT YET????!!! with your ring, I''ll be soooooo anxious to wear it PROUDLY everyday and show off that bling bling of yours... your bf should just propose already
31.gif
omg... sorry I''m at shock.... can''t believe you don''t get to see it everyday.
32.gif
I''m so in love with your ring.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I knew what kind of ring I wanted! My SO and I have been looking, and finding ''the one'' is hard. We know what we don''t want, but we haven''t found what we do want. I need to start an inspiration folder.

So tell me, how did you ladies find ''the one'' when it came to your ring? Did you start with inspiration pics, did you dream it up, was it a style that already exists? Did you worry about durability when it came to long term wear? Did you worry about costs? Did you put more into the center stone, or the setting? Or rather, did he chose the ring ring without any input?
I won''t ever upgrade my e-ring, so I wanted a style that I would enjoy wearing everyday for the rest of my life. For me, that meant a simple and classic setting like the Tiffany solitaire. The real thing was way too expensive for us, so I asked for a nice replica instead. I didn''t pick out the diamond, but did refer my boyfriend to Good Old Gold. Honestly, I was expecting something smaller, and was absolutely thrilled with his choice. I know it''s going to be the perfect ring for me.
1.gif

You''ll know the right ring when you see it! Have fun with your search!

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Beezygal -

I know RIGHT?!?! Well, to put things in perspective the reason why we''re not engaged yet is 100% my fault.. haha! My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 2 years now, but I chose to move to the east coast last year to attend law school. I know, kind of dumb, but I felt like I had lived in my little California bubble all of my life and I needed to experience something new. So, I took the leap and I''ve very lucky that my boyfriend is AMAZING and he has been 100% supportive this past year. Even though I''ve made things more difficult, he still wants to marry me as soon as I graduate!
1.gif

That being said - we''ve been looking at rings for about a year now (I know, we kind of started early) and over Spring break we sat down with the jeweler and I told them exactly what I wanted. A while back they had told us it would take 2-3 mo. to make. So, we thought this would be perfect timing for a Summer proposal. Needless to say, after my boyfriend cut the check they said it was going to be done in 4 weeks. Sigh.. so much for me being a "lady waiting in the dark". I love surprises, but I have to be the most impatient person ever (I was the kid who searched for Christmas presents). I knew the week it was supposed to come in, I bugged him to go pick it up, get it insured, and OF COURSE take pictures for me!

I''m going home in 3 and a half weeks and I told my boyfriend he has 2 days to propose. Haha! I know you said that your ring is being made right now. SO EXCITING! 4 weeks huh - WE CAN MAKE IT!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 1:57:05 AM
Beezygal -

I know RIGHT?!?! Well, to put things in perspective the reason why we''re not engaged yet is 100% my fault.. haha! My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 2 years now, but I chose to move to the east coast last year to attend law school. I know, kind of dumb, but I felt like I had lived in my little California bubble all of my life and I needed to experience something new. So, I took the leap and I''ve very lucky that my boyfriend is AMAZING and he has been 100% supportive this past year. Even though I''ve made things more difficult, he still wants to marry me as soon as I graduate!
1.gif

That being said - we''ve been looking at rings for about a year now (I know, we kind of started early) and over Spring break we sat down with the jeweler and I told them exactly what I wanted. A while back they had told us it would take 2-3 mo. to make. So, we thought this would be perfect timing for a Summer proposal. Needless to say, after my boyfriend cut the check they said it was going to be done in 4 weeks. Sigh.. so much for me being a ''lady waiting in the dark''. I love surprises, but I have to be the most impatient person ever (I was the kid who searched for Christmas presents). I knew the week it was supposed to come in, I bugged him to go pick it up, get it insured, and OF COURSE take pictures for me!

I''m going home in 3 and a half weeks and I told my boyfriend he has 2 days to propose. Haha! I know you said that your ring is being made right now. SO EXCITING! 4 weeks huh - WE CAN MAKE IT!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
4 weeks to make my ring... (3 more weeks to go) who knows when my bf will actually propose..
32.gif
I used to be a very patient person. I''m a piano teacher now... and guess where I have used up all my patience? lol You HAVE to show us more pictures... omg.. it took 2-3 months to make? It is DEFINIATELY worth it. did you just draw a picture of the ring or did you design it with the jeweler? long distance relationship can test a couple''s commitment. I''m glad you guys are doing so well. Me and my bf were also doing LD for the first 3-4 years of our relationship. (both going to school away from home) We''ve been together for 6 years in July. Good luck with the last year of law school.. My bf is a lawyer too... he finished 2 years ago.
28.gif

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock

Well, like KittyGolightly, I also will not be upgrading my ring ever. My BF and I both talked it over and decided that the sentiment with the original ring would be too strong to ever let it go. That being said, we both want to make sure that this is a ring that I will love forever. For me, it was an easy choice: a round solitaire in yellow gold. The main reason I chose it is because it is classic and timeless. My mother has a small 1/3 carat round solitaire in yellow gold and I have always loved it. As much as I admire all the other blingier rings out there, like PavePrincess''s gorgeous ring, I just think a solitaire looks better on me. Since a yellow gold, RB solitaire is very traditional, I have chosen to spice it up a little with a different head and cathedral setting. I love love love the Vatche Swan, Sisley and Caroline, but they are all pretty expensive. So, unless our budget expands, I will be going with the Truth solitaire.

My suggestion to you is to go try on rings. Try on as many as possible and have fun with it! Figure out if you want sidestones, a three stone, or solitaire and if you like halos. Then move on to the stone, do you want a RB, a cushion, princess cut? If you have looked and looked at jewelry stores and online and still don''t see anything that makes your heart flutter, then I suggest going custom. But again, trying on rings is the best thing to do. I love the look of pave and halos in pictures, especially on here! I drool a lot on my keyboard
9.gif
Ha ha ha. But on my hand they just don''t look right. I don''t know how to explain it other than I know that it''s not for me.

Trust me, some day when you least expect it, you will be out there with your SO trying on rings and you will find "the one". Have fun!!!

dawnabee

Shiny_Rock
Kittygolightly and other ladies I have a question... be easy on me I am a novice and I understand this may sound silly... lol

What do you mean about upgrading your ring? I''ve never heard of it until I came on PS and I understand what upgrade means but is it a term in the sale of the diamond or ering? Or just something people do because they dont absolutely love their ring etc.. ?

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2010 9:39:53 AM
Author: dawnabee
Kittygolightly and other ladies I have a question... be easy on me I am a novice and I understand this may sound silly... lol

What do you mean about upgrading your ring? I''ve never heard of it until I came on PS and I understand what upgrade means but is it a term in the sale of the diamond or ering? Or just something people do because they dont absolutely love their ring etc.. ?
Upgrading means using your original ER as a trade up, in order to get a new ring with a diamond which is bigger and usually of higher cut, clarity and color...And it is something that people do because they spend too many hours per day on Pricescope and they get crazy by looking at other people`s HUGE diamonds, he, he, he
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock

Hey Indy!

I have never really been a big jewelery wearer. Especially not rings! I have a few I have received as gifts over the years and I can wear them occasionally...but the idea of wearing one DAILY FOREVER was intimidated to me!

When DH and I were engaged, we had never discussed rings beforehand. Then we opted for a really short engagement period. I was totally clueless about rings, really, albeit I knew I leaned towards a sapphire. So, I just skipped an engagement ring altogether at the time rather than rush into something. I did find a sapphire and diamond that I intended to wear "forever" as my wedding ring. However, once I started wearing it after we were married, I decided it was not that comfortable and there are a few things I was unhappy with about it with the setting.....so my search began.

DH and I both still wanted a sapphire with diamond side stone combination. And really, I LIKED a lot of things about my wedding ring - like the white gold, the fluidity, that it is feminine yet somewhat understated so I wanted to carry some of those things through. I can say I looked at what must of been THOUSANDS of rings online, in stores, etc. I am SO picky about settings. I found lots I liked....but would of wanted changes. I ended up finally going the custom route - the setting (both rings) could be custom done just as I liked for around the same price many of the ones I "almost liked" were.

So, to more specifically answer your questions....

Did you start with inspiration pics, did you dream it up, was it a style that already exists?

It was a combination of a lot of inspiration pieces and ideas, as well as knowledge of what *I* would enjoy wearing (appearance AND comfort wise for my very active lifestyle) and what was attractive to me. I "dreamed it up" from that but also managed to choose a designer who already had several of those elements I wanted already "in design" so I could take some of their elements and mix them in the way I dreamed up.

Did you worry about durability when it came to long term wear?

Absolutely. I have a very active lifestyle. For example while pave is very pretty - it just does not work for my lifestyle (my original band had a small amount of pave). I had diamonds flush set into the bands instead (scattered band style).

I did not want platinum or palladium either as I did not want to worry about the dents and patina (just not my preference). I went with a white gold/palladium alloy. I also did not want really thin bands. I went with 3mm each as they just seem more...steady....or something.

I have NO intention of ever replacing these rings (barring an accident or something of course!) so long term wear was important. I did not quite go as far as getting a bezel (though I thought about it!) though as I do like prong settings appearance wise so I did not go ALL for practicality!

Did you worry about costs?

Yes. DH and I are both on a very, very tight budget right now. While I have a good job - DH took early retirement from the military to go back to school so I am the sole breadwinner right now. If we had gotten engaged when he was still making money we could have afforded together a honking ring..ha ha (though that does not mean I would have wanted one!). I also have a lot of student loan debt from law school. And we paid for our own wedding. I only had the "room" from my tax return for the rings.

Which was originally why I avoided custom...I thought it might be too prohibitive!

That being said, cost was also a concern as I am not personally comfortable spending a WHOLE lot of money on a ring. It''s just not my own priorities, even if I did have a money tree there are other things I would direct that money too.

Did you put more into the center stone, or the setting?

Well, as verboten as it is on PS....for THIS ring I went with a created sapphire (with natural diamond side stones). I did take a lot of time to find it though, as not all created stones are created alike! It is absolutely beautiful (not glassy at all - nice dreamy blue, and precision cut, so very interesting!).

So, the setting actually did cost about 5x more!

Or rather, did he chose the ring ring without any input?

No. I chose my rings (both my original and this set). However, definitely with input from him (with my new set for example he was the one who really wanted a sapphire again to compliment his ring). Though ultimately, he always encouraged me to get what worked for me since I was the one wearing it.

I have no doubt that he would have picked something beautiful though if he had picked something all on his own, it was just not our relationship style or individual style to do something like that.

Tigarlily1

Rough_Rock
vc10um -

I love that ring!! All of the ones I pick out usually have the settings that taper in toward the diamonds. I have a silver and opal ring like that now and I love love love it. I think my ring will be something like that probably with some paving and antique engraving.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 10:26:14 AM
Author: Naty H&A

Date: 4/23/2010 9:39:53 AM
Author: dawnabee

Upgrading means using your original ER as a trade up, in order to get a new ring with a diamond which is bigger and usually of higher cut, clarity and color...And it is something that people do because they spend too many hours per day on Pricescope and they get crazy by looking at other people`s HUGE diamonds, he, he, he
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
My boyfriend got a little nervous after looking at some of the threads on PS and made me promise not to upgrade. I told him no problem - why would I want a replacement diamond when I could have additional diamonds?
11.gif

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
i hear ya kitty, i hear ya....

9.gif

loving all the contributions ladies, and the variety is outstanding
36.gif

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
by the way girls, my BF has bought the ring
23.gif
He was going to propose with a dummy ring and we''d get one together later, but he totally turned the tables on me a week ago.

i have no idea what it looks like.
32.gif

i had input on the type i wanted, but he actually sourced the stone and did the whole ring from start to finish.

i can''t WAIT for the proposal, and it''s going to be a real old-fashioned surprise.

unfortunately i can''t post a pic of it, like EVER, because he reads PS and I don''t want him to know luckynumber is me!!

i love my anonymity on PS too much
2.gif

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 2:13:29 PM
Author: luckynumber
23.gif
He was going to propose with a dummy ring and we''d get one together later, but he totally turned the tables on me a week ago.

32.gif

i had input on the type i wanted, but he actually sourced the stone and did the whole ring from start to finish.

i can''t WAIT for the proposal, and it''s going to be a real old-fashioned surprise.

unfortunately i can''t post a pic of it, like EVER, because he reads PS and I don''t want him to know luckynumber is me!!

2.gif

At least he is a pricescoper and you know it''ll be good!

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
i hope so legally!!

in fact he may even be a pricescoper, but if he is, i can''t tell which one!

well, i''m not an upgrader, and i''m gonna take whatever he gets me so fingers crossed!!

i just wanna be engaged, even if it''s with a bent up rusty nail
3.gif

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 2:13:29 PM
Author: luckynumber
23.gif

32.gif

2.gif

That''s AMAZING!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I think it''s super sweet that he put a lot of time and effort into your ring. I''m sure it will be beautiful!

My bf is not the most savvy buyer (extreme understatement).. He''s trusts that people are good natured a little bit too much.. And we have different taste in jewelry. Still, I sometimes wish that I would have completely relinquished control so it could be a surprise. I''m envious of your situation.. though I''m not complaining about my own.

On another note, I totally feel you on the anonymity thing. Mainly because my boyfriend would tease me to no end for being so impatient! I think when you do get engaged you should have HIM post a picture of the ring (or create a new name) and give us fellow LIWs a clue that it''s yours.. like "L#" or something! Haha! Good luck with everything.. I''m excited for you!
35.gif

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Pre- PS I wanted a Tiffany Lucida bezel-set, but now I''m pretty sure I want an August Vintage cushion.
I was thinking James Meyer for the setting, but I''m still not quite sure - some of the singlestone settings, and mark morrel''s work are also fantastic.

I want something fairly clean and simple (no pave, no sidestones, low set) with maybe a little pizzazz, but nothing that screams the 2010s.

A while ago I came across Chris Ploof meteorite wedding bands and thought they were pretty nifty (but now I''m not so sure)

Here''s an inspiration page I made up a while ago.

454HDinspire3.jpg

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
congrats luckynumber...

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 11:41:55 AM
Author: Tigarlily1
vc10um -

I love that ring!! All of the ones I pick out usually have the settings that taper in toward the diamonds. I have a silver and opal ring like that now and I love love love it. I think my ring will be something like that probably with some paving and antique engraving.

Thanks, Tigarlily! Hopefully I get her soon! Not sure if my man is getting her in yellow or white gold...but I''m pretty sure this is the ring!

Daffodil

Rough_Rock
I''m crossing my fingers for this ring (or something similar!)

relcushion.jpg

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Daffodil - Your **hopefully future** is gorgeous and timeless. I'm crossing my fingers for you!!
1.gif

By the way, I REALLY like the ring in your avatar.. Gorgeous!
30.gif

Daffodil

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 1:53:20 AM
Daffodil - Your **hopefully future** is gorgeous and timeless. I''m crossing my fingers for you!!
1.gif

By the way, I REALLY like the ring in your avatar.. Gorgeous!
30.gif

Thanks, I love it too and wish that it was mine!!! Alas, it''s just a ring that we can all drool over!
3.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
wow PavePrincess - that is a spectacularly blingy ring! It looks amazing from the side :)

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
My bf is not the most savvy buyer (extreme understatement).. He''s trusts that people are good natured a little bit too much.. And we have different taste in jewelry. Still, I sometimes wish that I would have completely relinquished control so it could be a surprise. I''m envious of your situation.. though I''m not complaining about my own.

Your BF sounds like mine, PP! He feels bad about going into stores and trying stuff on even though we''re not buying yet. He says he feels like he should buy something from them! We also have different taste in jewelry, but now that we''re actually trying on the rings, he''s come around more to what I like. He realizes that it actually does look better in person than what he liked in pictures! :D

And Daffodil...that ring is gorgeous! Something like that is my ideal, too!

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/25/2010 2:23:32 PM
Author: merilenda
My bf is not the most savvy buyer (extreme understatement).. He's trusts that people are good natured a little bit too much.. And we have different taste in jewelry. Still, I sometimes wish that I would have completely relinquished control so it could be a surprise. I'm envious of your situation.. though I'm not complaining about my own.

Your BF sounds like mine, PP! He feels bad about going into stores and trying stuff on even though we're not buying yet. He says he feels like he should buy something from them! We also have different taste in jewelry, but now that we're actually trying on the rings, he's come around more to what I like. He realizes that it actually does look better in person than what he liked in pictures! :D

Thank You Mavie! The side is my favorite part of the ring!

Merilenda - I think it may be a "boy thing". Haha! That's great that your bf is starting to come around. My bf was NOT a fan of halos when we first started looking, but I think he saw how much I liked them and he conceded.
2.gif

What kind of rings are you looking at now? One like Daffodils? I may have already said this in a different post, but that was where my boyfriend's choice ring (the Michael B version) and I think it's absolutely STUNNING in person! Do you have an idea of who you want to make it?? Ahh.. looking at rings is so much fun..
36.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 7:39:39 PM
Author: HappyNewLife
*hugs* 4ever-- I hope you get your dream job and your ring ASAP

Indy-- i have no idea, I change my mind daily. I changed my last e-ring (now divorced) 3x and still wasn''t happy. It''s probably good that I''m not wearing a ring now, LOL! I''m not sure what the deal is with the semi-bezel, it just sings to me. I love how modern it is. I love how enormously wide the shank is. I love how huge it makes the diamond look. I like how it''s not dainty and weak (like me, hahah) and says ''bring it, I can take anything'' to me. I also want something that won''t scratch my GF or my kids (i.e. sidestones/pave/prongs) and that I can wear it 24/7 if I wanted because it can handle abuse ;-)

I sound crazy ;-)

Makes perfect sense Happynewlife! I want something that I can wear 24/7 too, and won''t need to be babied. That being said, I love nearly all styles. I love dainty, I love bold, and there''s rarely ever a quality ring that I won''t like. I''d love a semi-bezel like D&T''s Sholdt. Have you seen it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results