shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the "right" size diamond for a petite girl?

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion, you are going about this the wrong way, as an earlier poster said, today most women are involved in the ring selection to some degree. When I finally selected a ring, I knew what she wanted, we made the process fun. We do not know where you live, whether it is in Podunk or NYC. I recommend you make the process fun, go around with her to jewelry stores to try on rings and see her reaction. If you live in a major city area, go to Tiffany''s, Cartier, HW, Van Cleef, DeBeers, for example. You are not the one to wear it, she has to wear it, show it to friends and family and love it. You might not feel so good if it gets back to you that she loves that you bought her a ring but really does not care for it. OK, just my 2 cents.

EllaMarie

Rough_Rock
I am a smaller person as well 5''4 and 115 lbs and have a size 4 ring finger. It''s hard to say what would be the best for her but what I do know is that my ring looks huge on me because my finger is smaller. My sister is 5''10 and has size 7.5 ring and has a similar ring and it does look a bit smaller on her (not bad, just a tad smaller). I tried on a 2 ct at one time and was not comfortable with the size w/ a halo. I just didn''t feel comfortable going that big--so I think that she would be the one to judge how big is too big or how small is too small. I know she wants it to be a surprise but maybe you could have her try on a few sizes to get an idea of what she oohs and aahs over.

I love asschers, if I could pick a second ring I''d get an asscher. When reserching asscher''s I read that they look a bit smaller than a round so perhaps going up to a 2 ct. in assher would be okay.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I am that 200 lb girl, bring on the 2ct! (I''m close 1.76 center, 2.15 total with melee)

There really are few things more elegant than a nice long emerald cut on nice long fingers. Its a style that can do lunch, an evening at the symphony and a day at work with students without looking out of place.

How about some yummy double claw prongs on the emerald cut, with the baguettes? It would be hard to tell if the ring is inherited or new. Perfect for someone who likes good value and timelessness.

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 5:27:24 AM
Author: joxxxelyn
Speaking as someone with a 4.5 ring size and on the slim side, I can tell you that my 6.7 mm round (pictured in the avatar) feels like the right size (at 1.18 carats).

THREADJACK!

Sorry.

I just wanted to thank joxxelyn (and realtanu for starting the thread).
My GF is about the same size and I got her a diamond of comparable dimensions. I was worried about finger real estate. Your comments and picture helped me visualize everything. Thanks again.

21.gif

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to say this, but my answer is, "as big as you can afford" :) In terms of diamonds, an extra carat or two only translates to a few millimeters, so it''s not like she will literally not be able to lift her hand if she is petite with a big diamond :)
37.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well clearly this is why I need a bigger diamond! I am no where close to the one point per pound rule!
9.gif

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
This one should work, I don''t think it is too big.

_42179341_diamond_203ap[1].jpg

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I agree with what everyone has said, it really depends on preference and what you feel comfortable with.

I have an asscher. 1.21 cts, dimensions are something along the lines of 5.85x5.85 Asschers face up much smaller than rounds, but for me its getting lost in the step cuts and not how big it is, my ring size is a 5.5. It honestly looks very large on my finger, taking up about half of it...

The stone is set in a very thin 3-sided micropave eternity(2mm or 3mm), with diamonds up the prongs and it compliments the center stone very nicely and does not overpower it whatsoever. I'm pretty rough with my ring, but it was well made and have never lost a stone. I love my FI for picking out something so beautiful!
1.gif
My wedding band is also micropave, and it actually makes my diamond look bigger. (2.5 more months until I can wear it!)When I see my ring in the mirror/pictures it looks pretty darn big! I've had it for about a year and a half now, and I have yet to have asscher shrinkage and my hand is grabbed frequently for co-workers(and strangers) to get a better look.

To give you an idea of my proportions and style compared to your gf: I'm 5'9 and am on the thin side. I tower over her and obviously weigh more! I too am a simple girl, never a ton of jewelery, I wear diamond studs everyday and usually a solitare necklace, unless I feel like being creative.

My ring also out shines my friends RB...which is a tiffany stone! Asschers do very well in natural light, and at night, my stone looks like fireworks are going off in it. It really depends on how well the stone is cut, for someone at Tiffanys to say they don't sparkle is not true at all! There are many people on here who have asschers and emeralds under 2ct and they will tell you the same thing!

I live in the Philly area and have also lived in NY...and as you probably know diamond sizes vary in the tri-state. I would say I am somewhere in the middle, I have the largest out of my friends, but we are all in our mid 20s...

With all of that said, most girls would love to have a 2-3ct diamond, but it may not fit their lifestyle. I tried on a 1.5 asscher and honestly felt it was too large, at the time I was 21. I'm now 24 and probably would still feel that way but I also wouldn't dream of changing my center stone. In my line of work I could get away with any size stone, however I wouldn't feel comfortable going much larger than what I currently have.

A 2ct asscher will look pretty large on a smaller hand, but I don't think it would be obnoxious either. It really all depends on her comfort level.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup.

We can all tell you what we'd like, but that's of no help to you - your gf may be totally different
1.gif

I'm generally very understated. I wear a lot of black, grey, and beige and I can count on one hand the things that aren't simple and tailored. I like modern and utilitarian designs in pretty much everything, gadgets and gizmos-wise. I'm 23, 5'4, size 4 finger. BUT for my Ering I want a huge stone in a romantic setting.. very incongruous, and FI would have had no way of knowing had he not asked me.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
If you are looking for a larger sized asscher, I think Erica might have one in her inventory.

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Wow so many with preferences for bigger stones!

It really is so much about preference. I am 5''5", 110lbs, wear a 5.5 and have long slender fingers. I would not want to go bigger than my original diamond (1.09ct, round brilliant), and not much smaller than my new OEC (.61ct). The 1.09 always felt a little too big to begin with. I''m more of a low-key, mellow person, and tend to go by the mind-set of less-is-more...I appreciate subtlety. I have a moderately active lifestyle, garden, run and swim. I can appreciate the beauty of big flashy rocks, but they are definitely not for me. There was a similar experience while I was shopping for a wedding dress...a couple of certain styles or cuts looked amazing on me, but they weren''t "me."

There''s also the matter of whether you''ll have side-stones or a halo. Your girl might like a certain size as a solitaire, but she might consider the same stone too big if it were set with side-stones or a halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Asscher face up 5.85 by 5.87 on a 5.75 finger. I could EASILY carry off a 3 carat asscher. And I haloed my asscher to make it look bigger. It worked too. But, as yssie said-- we can only tell you what is right for us, not what is right for your lady.

You'd be surprised by how many women who don't wear jewelry before they get engaged want a huge rock when they do. You'd also be surprised by the number of women would be happy with whatever you put on their finger. We can't tell you which camp (if either of them) your lady falls into. She could be somewhere between the two: long as it is something nice and you put some thought behind it-- she's happy. Doesn't want crap, but doesn't expect the world.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy seems to hit the nail on the head yet again. The most important thing is that the man shows he is actually really listening to the woman, not assuming...

realtanu

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the replies. To address some of the prior points:

This girl will absolutely like what i get her and will want it to be a surprise. She is a romantic.
I am also pretty sure she has no preconcieved notions of what ring to get, except not round.
I only caveat that she won''t want a hideous ring or something huge.

I do find it interesting how some of similar frames feel ~1.25ct is a bit large for them. I won''t be going below 1ct (the jones..) but it does give more perspective to me that 1.25ct isn''t small by any times. also the facing up dimensions quite helpful.

In my head its down to emerald with tapered baguettes (thank you Whitby for that idea!) or the Asscher with or without baguettes (alternative being solataire).

I want to have some diamond appointments exactly 1 month from now, which gives me 2 weeks I figure out what to tell the purveryors to search for. So I need a tricky way to figure out what thoguhts are on emerald and asscher cuts.. without mentioning rings and tipping her off! I already asked about sapphires and round rings.. so I fear asking next on emerald and asscher will be flipping my cards over..

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I think that you may be finding lots of smaller framed women prefer smaller carat sizes as they tend to APPEAR larger on smaller fingers.

There is a handy chart out there somewhere on PS that shows this. Maybe someone else can handily provide it! A 1ct can appear like a 1.25 or 1.5 ct on small hands, or as a 0.5ct on large fingers/hands. For me, I prefer something rather sleek and simple and somewhat understated so I prefer smaller stones as they do look larger on my finger. A 1 ct looks over a 1.25 on mine. Others love a big stone and more flash, and would be quite fine wearing a 2ct that "looks" on their hand like a 3ct!

Here, the following link is to a 1.02ct, 1.21ct, 1.51ct and 2.01ct H&A diamonds on a Size 6 finger. They will look larger on your girlfriends finger:

Link to Size Comparison

ETA: this thread might be helpful too! Size Comparisons

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I wear a size 4.5 ring and have long fingers, although I am not as petite as your GF. Personally, on my hand, I like emerald cut stones that face up between 7x9 mm and 8x10 mm and square cut stones between 7 and 8 mm square. I think that size range looks good on my finger and has definite presence without being OTT.

I adore Leon''s 3-stone classic with an emerald center, double-claw prongs and tapered baguette sides.

LM Emerald with tapered bags.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I also love Leon''s 3-stone classic with an asscher center, double-claw prongs and tapered baguette sides.

LM Asscher with tapered bags.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2010 1:58:42 PM
Author: realtanu
Thank you all for the replies. To address some of the prior points:

This girl will absolutely like what i get her and will want it to be a surprise. She is a romantic.
I am also pretty sure she has no preconcieved notions of what ring to get, except not round.
I only caveat that she won't want a hideous ring or something huge.

I do find it interesting how some of similar frames feel ~1.25ct is a bit large for them. I won't be going below 1ct (the jones..) but it does give more perspective to me that 1.25ct isn't small by any times. also the facing up dimensions quite helpful.

In my head its down to emerald with tapered baguettes (thank you Whitby for that idea!) or the Asscher with or without baguettes (alternative being solataire).

I want to have some diamond appointments exactly 1 month from now, which gives me 2 weeks I figure out what to tell the purveryors to search for. So I need a tricky way to figure out what thoguhts are on emerald and asscher cuts.. without mentioning rings and tipping her off! I already asked about sapphires and round rings.. so I fear asking next on emerald and asscher will be flipping my cards over..
can you ask your GF's friend's /family what she likes? surely she has talked to them what shape appeals to her most?

Kay

Ideal_Rock
This Leon with an asscher center and shield shaped sides always draws my eye. I think it would look equally great without the pave, like the one above but with different sides.

LM Asscher with shields.jpg

realtanu

Rough_Rock
Nope. Traditional family so only mention of marriage is to seek blessing vs. get ring advice. Plus, I am 100% she has not expressed any opinions on wedding rings to anyone.

I really like those 2 Leon rings posted with the tapered baguettes. Its really down to emerald or asscher with tapered bagets for me (even the Asscher). I like how Emerad Cuts stay lower on the finger, but I like the sparkle of the asscher (I think my gf would like those 2 aspects as each as well). She did comment once how someone''s ring was large and very sparkly (to which she then said she wouldn''t like so much bling her on herself).

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2010 6:17:13 PM
Nope. Traditional family so only mention of marriage is to seek blessing vs. get ring advice. Plus, I am 100% she has not expressed any opinions on wedding rings to anyone.

I really like those 2 Leon rings posted with the tapered baguettes. Its really down to emerald or asscher with tapered bagets for me (even the Asscher). I like how Emerad Cuts stay lower on the finger, but I like the sparkle of the asscher (I think my gf would like those 2 aspects as each as well). She did comment once how someone''s ring was large and very sparkly (to which she then said she wouldn''t like so much bling her on herself).
ahhh, well sounds like your GF will love whatever it is that you pick out for her... so I''ll just state that I lOVE LOVE asschers... and would vote for asscher just in case you were looking for more votes
18.gif
and with tapered baguettes or bullets
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
even better

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the emerald cut with tapered baguette idea!

Date: 3/13/2010 5:37:40 PM
Author: kenny
Proper ratio?

So small women should get small diamonds and large women should get large ones?

The rule is one point per lb.

100 pound women get one carat, (100 points).

200 pound women get two carats.

Imagine the owners of the Hope diamond.
23.gif

I''m eating a box of cookies for dinner
11.gif
12.gif
12.gif
27.gif
27.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t forget to brush and floss your teeth.
9.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2010 5:05:37 PM
Author: Kay
This Leon with an asscher center and shield shaped sides always draws my eye. I think it would look equally great without the pave, like the one above but with different sides.
Isn''t this Erica''s ring? This beauty is for sale.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
some beautiful rings on this thread. Lot''s of great options.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a asscher or an EC with tapered baguettes would be stunning. I think you should see both in person and then decide.

GOG is really the best place to get step cut stone.

realtanu

Rough_Rock
to hijack my own thread, since my process it has now evolved (thank you all very much).. two new questions.. since you folkks are all so familiar with what I am looking for

1. How do I see emerald/asscher baguette/side stone examples in person? Do I do it there at those shops (GOG, ERD) at time of visit, or do I try to find examples locally (tough in OC) and so I have made up my mind by time of visit?

2. In terms of stores to visit, is ERD, GOG and Leon the ones to hit? Any thoguhts on using Leon''s diamond concierge service?

Thanks again

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 3:14:56 PM
to hijack my own thread, since my process it has now evolved (thank you all very much).. two new questions.. since you folkks are all so familiar with what I am looking for

1. How do I see emerald/asscher baguette/side stone examples in person? Do I do it there at those shops (GOG, ERD) at time of visit, or do I try to find examples locally (tough in OC) and so I have made up my mind by time of visit?

2. In terms of stores to visit, is ERD, GOG and Leon the ones to hit? Any thoguhts on using Leon''s diamond concierge service?

Thanks again
1. Visit high end places near you to get an idea of what it might look like in person. You can also look at GOG, who may have rings on site. I do not thinkg ERD or Leon have rings on site.

2. To pick the diamond, go to GOG and ERD first. You will want to contact them. Leon is known for settings, and I would not personally buy a diamond through him because he does not provide enough information to assess cut quality. But you may feel differently. I would not contact Leon until you have selected your diamond, as his quote for the setting will be based on the diamond you have. He would select and provide the side stones, though, perhaps with a few options presented in photos first. He is a master and it is best to trust his vision with the setting. If you want more control, work with a different company, like BGD.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results