shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the "right" size diamond for a petite girl?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
You are going to have one gorgeous ring!!!!!!

You''ve gotten great advice here, but assher or emerald, setting by Leon or BGD, tapered baguettes or solitare, GOG or ERD sourced stone, it is going to be amazing! You are picking between the best or the best
2.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 3:14:56 PM
Author: realtanu
to hijack my own thread, since my process it has now evolved (thank you all very much).. two new questions.. since you folkks are all so familiar with what I am looking for

1. How do I see emerald/asscher baguette/side stone examples in person? Do I do it there at those shops (GOG, ERD) at time of visit, or do I try to find examples locally (tough in OC) and so I have made up my mind by time of visit?

2. In terms of stores to visit, is ERD, GOG and Leon the ones to hit? Any thoguhts on using Leon''s diamond concierge service?

Thanks again
If you are in OC, go to Harry Winston at South Coast Plaza, 3333 Bristol St, Suite 2660, Costa Mesa, CA 92626. HW does a classic setting with tapered baguettes and double claw prongs.

http://www.harrywinston.com/Product.aspx?alias=004aclassicwinstonengagementrings&current=diamond-rings&section=engagement
http://www.harrywinston.com/Product.aspx?alias=003aclassicwinstonengagementrings&current=diamond-rings&section=engagement
http://www.harrywinston.com/Product.aspx?alias=001a-classicwinstonemeraldcutdiamondring&current=diamond-rings&section=engagement

While at South Coast Plaza, you can also visit Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels and Tiffany.

GOG is really known for their expertise in step-cut stones. (Have them show you the Octavia as well as standard asschers.) Leon does amazing settings, but I would not buy a diamond through him because he will not spend as much time giving you information about the cut quality of the diamond. Leon does have a great eye for selecting the perfect side stones to balance the center stone.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi realtanu :)

to buy an emerald cut, i'd place myself in the hands of someone i could work with directly. for my money, this would be good old gold.

i absolutely ditto the comment that Leon is a designer, and i'd use him for that - not purchasing diamonds.

i'd call GOG, tell them you're looking for something in the 1.2-1.3 range (if you decide that's what you want) and tell them you want the best cut they can find you, in a nice, white, sparkly stone. if you decide to come down from 1.5-1.75, you'll have plenty of cash for a beautifully cut, white stone, so the quality of the stone could be awesome.

and -make no mistake about it - if she's expressed a dislike for very large rings (and you mentioned she had), 1.25ct with bullets is going to look *very* substantial to her! so make it a great stone, then turn it all over to the master to put it together.

re the asscher vs EC debate - asschers are my favorite cut. but they're very 'bottom heavy' and sit high. EC's give you that same 'hall of mirrors' effect, while giving you more finger coverage and while able to be set a little lower.

good luck!

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
can i ditto everything whitby said
2.gif

realtanu

Rough_Rock
I am lucky to have found this site. and lucky you folks take so much interest in a random passerby''s questions! Thank you all for the help. Really I think a week ago I had an "idea" of what I wanted. But now its much more crystal clear.

I actually did go to South Coast plaza a few weeks ago. Was unaware of the Harry Winstons. I went to Saks (where they steered me away from Emerald and I decided Asscher or their "Lucida" cut was the one to go with), Cartier (extremely limited selection of e-rings on display.. e.g. maybe < 20 total), and I think Van Cleefs (where I could not get service only an even more limited selection of rings on display).

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 7:18:04 PM
Author: whitby_2773
hi realtanu :)

just to be clear here...

i believe the average engagement ring diamond weight is around, or slightly less than, 1/2 a carat. so if you''re looking at something in the 1.2 range, nobody is going to think it''s small!

secondly, of course the tiffany rep is going to tell you that emeralds only look good in 2+ carat varieties! what a load of rot! there are members here with FABULOUS emerald cuts smaller than a ct, and the nicest EC ring i saw recently was from a member who had just bought a 1ct stone for his girlfriend-now-fiance, and had it set by leon. it''s GORGEOUS. if it''s size you want, the EC is a way better option than an asscher.

thirdly, take a look at the ring your girl''s friends and family wear. if 1.5-1.75ct is twice as big as any of those (and it probably would be!), and your girl is understated (which is the feeling i''m getting), she might find this overwhelming. in the real world, 1.5-1.75ct is a Very Big Ring.

so personally, i''d vote for a 1.2ct, very white, perfectly cut emerald cut, with tapered baguettes, set by Leon. assuming the settings were the same, the emerald cut would sit lower than an asscher, it''d look almost as big as a 1.5 asscher, if not AS big, and it''d be set by a master jeweler. i''ve had one ring done by leon and am gearing up for a second. i''ve found him a pleasure to work with.

1.2 would still be *so* far above the average sized diamond that she''d almost certainly be thrilled. side diamonds give extra diamond coverage. unless your girl has expressed a preference for a diamond of a certain size, if she''s an understated girl who currently wears no rings at all, she may *well* find a 1.75 stone pretty conspicuous...

good luck making your decision!
Sorry for the threadjack, OP. Whitby~what? when? Spill it, my friend, enquiring minds and all that
9.gif
[/threadjack] Carry on...

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read all of the replies but I think an emerald cut stone around 1.5 carats would be stunning on your girlfriend, especially either set with sidestones or in a halo.

This is a ring that is for sale on Leon Mege''s website for $15K. Here are the specs of the ring - I think it would be perfect:

Image ID r1086
Style name*: Ring Three-stone “Classic”
Ring with 1.57 ct white emerald-cut diamond;
This ring is available for sale.
Ring: Platinum
Center Stone: EC 1.57ct G SI1, GIA 8.16x5.64x3.79, D: 67.2 T: 62 GD/GD,Flourescence: none
Side Stones: Step Traps 0.67 ct G VS
Total cost $15,000

leonjjc1.jpg

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I think Whitby said exactly what I was thinking (as usual!)

Kali Cakes

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think that if you keep the setting classic she will be able to wear any size and it will look great on her! I am a petite (5''1'''' and a size 0/2) and I have a 2.4 ct princess solitaire and everyone tells me how surprised they are that the stone''s ratio to my size is not too large. I think the key was keeping the setting so simple. I am attaching a picture for you to see. I am sure whatever you pick she will love!!

Kaliringhandshot3.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results