shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the biggest size of diamond you would wear as studs/ring?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Studs: 2 ct each, 4 ct total

Round Solitaire: 3-3.5 ct

Emerald Cut Solitaire: 4-5 ct

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I have 0.5 ct studs. They work perfect for every situation. It would be nice to go bigger from time to time, but I think not much more than 1 to 1.25 ct per ear, I have the tiniest ears. It would look awkward to go too big. Ringwise... well, 4.5ish to 5 ct the most. Other than my ears, my hands are rather big and bulky... not too nice. And that would also be not for everyday wear - given the fact that 1 ct‘s are considered huge here.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could wear up to 5ct in each ear (I have large earlobes, lol), though I think I'd prefer 3-3.5ct each, only round.

Same with rings. I could easily and happily wear up to 15ct but I think the sweet spot for me is 7-8ct, whatever shape.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC this was 10.38cts, lovely but a bit big for everyday wear :lol:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have ~5.3mm (0.57ct) OEC studs. And they look right. Could I go bigger- maybe... but never ventured to know.

Ring- I have a 5.52mm (1ct) asscher cut diamond. I reckon I can definitely go bigger in asscher. Not sure if I could go the MRB or OEC. Maybe OMC?? Dunno... haven’t really seen it on my hand to know what cut stone would work.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
05D227FD-C0AA-4226-82FD-72A00EB17AC3.jpeg

I think that looks perfect on your hand @Austina i really like larger step cut diamonds in a ring. I used to have a client who wore a 8-10 carat asscher cut daily while only ever wearing lulu lemon/ Stella McCartney gym wear :lol: (not to mention the diamond tennis bracelet, Patek Philippe watch, love bracelet and big diamond pendant and big diamond hoops! And I live and work in the uk!)
I personally would go as big as 4 carats in a round. I tried this 4 carat old cut on and unfortunately it does not belong to me
E53CBCB1-3834-4B73-9732-2352E5ED24D9.jpeg
I have massive earlobes and could easily carry off 6 carat total studs. I wear cluster diamond studs so I can get the lobe coverage.

05D227FD-C0AA-4226-82FD-72A00EB17AC3.jpeg

I think you’ve made me change my mind on “I don’t think I could go above 10 ;-)” that looks gorgeous on your hand!

as an aside, when I wrote this question I didn’t think so much about “appropriateness for everyday wear” as opposed to “appropriateness in general” - I know that people consider safety concerns, social circle etc when deciding size for everyday wear. I was thinking more along the lines of aesthetic appeal; but I’m also not the kind of person who would keep my big bling away, to be honest. I’d prefer to wear my nice things if I owned them!

I think that looks perfect on your hand @Austina i really like larger step cut diamonds in a ring. I used to have a client who wore a 8-10 carat asscher cut daily while only ever wearing lulu lemon/ Stella McCartney gym wear :lol: (not to mention the diamond tennis bracelet, Patek Philippe watch, love bracelet and big diamond pendant and big diamond hoops! And I live and work in the uk!)
I personally would go as big as 4 carats in a round. I tried this 4 carat old cut on and unfortunately it does not belong to me
I have massive earlobes and could easily carry off 6 carat total studs. I wear cluster diamond studs so I can get the lobe coverage.

The sapphire pave band is so pretty! I love that!

I could wear up to 5ct in each ear (I have large earlobes, lol), though I think I'd prefer 3-3.5ct each, only round.

Same with rings. I could easily and happily wear up to 15ct but I think the sweet spot for me is 7-8ct, whatever shape.

You have some gorgeous bling, Phoenix! I was going through some of your old threads.

I’d say we have pretty similar opinions on size. Do you think you could wear stones that size on an everyday basis?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that’s gorgeous @RosieR , the sapphires really set it off. I think it looks a great size on you :mrgreen:

I also tried this on, can’t remember what size the OEC was, but the ring itself was absolutely huge, a great chunk of gold and big sapphires, it wasn’t really my cup of tea, but it was fun going to Sothebys and trying on lots of goodies coming up for auction.

Wow, that’s gorgeous @RosieR , the sapphires really set it off. I think it looks a great size on you :mrgreen:

I also tried this on, can’t remember what size the OEC was, but the ring itself was absolutely huge, a great chunk of gold and big sapphires, it wasn’t really my cup of tea, but it was fun going to Sothebys and trying on lots of goodies coming up for auction.

F68C2C4B-6790-49B7-A3CF-55BD6039D00E.jpeg

Beautiful!! I wouldn’t wear this everyday because it wouldn’t match my clothes; but I’d rock the hell out of it as a cocktail ring!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
To answer the question, I could probably do 1 carat studs in each ear. Too much larger and I find them uncomfortable.

Rings, I don't know. Depends on the shape. But in reality, I go through periods where I wear zero anything for months.

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
I feel comfortable wearing fancy cuts like oval, emerald and cushions up to 10 carat in a ring. I never wear earrings. What I don't love is the attention larger pieces sometimes bring.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As big as I can afford.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.
~TheDudeWhoInspiredTheDudeWhoseIdeaOfRebellionWasCommentaryOnTroutsInMilk

I've had either too much wine or too little. And my wine glasses, unlike your asscher eternity ring, are decidedly not big :halo:

It is easier to reconcile wearing "big" jewellery while realizing there is no advantage for having small wine glasses.

cheers--Sharon:wavey:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is easier to reconcile wearing "big" jewellery while realizing there is no advantage for having small wine glasses.

cheers--Sharon:wavey:
I’ll drink to that...
:twisted2:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
For studs I'd be fine with 1ct (2ctw) rounds but just once I'd like to try on the Marie Antoinette earrings from the Smithsonian collection. I think they'd look fabulous against dark hair. Or no hair. Or any hair.
:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 8.55.40 PM.png

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't know, I never tried on anything bigger than my current e-ring (1.76 ct heart). Prob better not to try bigger so that shrinkage syndrome wont set in lol!

I don't like studs on me , I prefer dangles; although annoyingly my earring holes closed (no idea how) so I will need to repierce one day.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock

Ooooh I love the sapphires

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I have to go to bed, it's nice to know there are other people out in the universe who think ( fantasize ) like I do.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a ring...my oval is .92 and faces up closer to a 1.2. I have her set in a halo and honestly it is plenty big for me. I haven’t been wearing it too often lately with all the extra hand washing and sanitizing. I’ve been more comfortable wearing my .42 EC solitaire.

I really like my small .3 ctw studs but could probably go to .50 each ear. My ears are tiny :)

In a ring...my oval is .92 and faces up closer to a 1.2. I have her set in a halo and honestly it is plenty big for me. I haven’t been wearing it too often lately with all the extra hand washing and sanitizing. I’ve been more comfortable wearing my .42 EC solitaire.

I really like my small .3 ctw studs but could probably go to .50 each ear. My ears are tiny :)

You’re lucky to have tiny ears, haha! I have a friend who’s like that - she has such small lobes that 0.5-0.75ct on her looks like 1.5-1.75ct on me. She achieves the “dripping with diamonds” look with 2ctw studs!

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tiny lobes means 0.5ct per ear.
Short fingers means 1.6 ct mrb max. And even that looks...stodgy. aesthetically a 6.5mm looks best.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results