shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the biggest size of diamond you would wear as studs/ring?

Just a fun discussion question while we are all stuck at home!

For me, I would say that I’ve never actually seen a stone that’s too big for me ;-) but in reality for studs I think they might get uncomfortably big past the 4-5ct (each) mark - that seems enormous to me, even given my huge earlobes! As for a solitaire ring - I think 5ct is probably around my tolerance for round/princess/cushion diamonds but for elongated fancy shapes I can see something like a 8ct also looking proportionately enormous on my size 7 finger. Of course I say all of this while not having either ;-) but spending imaginary money is always fun. I can’t see myself ever getting any diamond bigger than 10ct even if offered.

Let’s hear your opinions!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be challenging to find a diamond too big for me. I have man hands and big lobes too so bring on the size. I am a size ho and my motto is "Go big or go home"

Bring it.

gobigorgohome.gif

In all seriousness though probably a 7 carat round (OEC) would be the max size I would be OK wearing and as for studs I don't wear studs but if I did I am guessing 3 carats per lobe would be sufficient. :halo:
It definitely depends on the shape of the diamond. You could go larger for emerald cuts and other cuts vs round cuts.

ETA: You might find this thread interesting.

I think it would be challenging to find a diamond too big for me. I have man hands and big lobes too so bring on the size. I am a size ho and my motto is "Go big or go home"

Bring it.

gobigorgohome.gif

In all seriousness though probably a 7 carat round (OEC) would be the max size I would be OK wearing and as for studs I don't wear studs but if I did I am guessing 3 carats per lobe would be sufficient. :halo:
It definitely depends on the shape of the diamond. You could go larger for emerald cuts and other cuts vs round cuts.

ETA: You might find this thread interesting.

I am a size ho too! Haha. I just thought of this question because though I always thought I would never, ever, ever be able to say “this diamond is too big for me” if I really think I wouldn’t be able to wear something like the Krupp diamond (also, I’m no Elizabeth Taylor!) okay maybe as a pendant... but not as a ring. Even my big hands would quail.

thank you for the link!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have nowhere to wear huge diamonds!:cry2: 2.5 would probably be the most I could get away with in my neck of the woods. 2 carats would
probably be better. I think I could go bigger on ears because they are not as noticeable as rings so maybe 4 ctw for ears.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Studs are a bust for me. I have wonky ears and they don't display the way I'd like them to. For a ring, who knows, but it would have to be vintage OEC. Maybe 3 cts max. Maybe a moval, maybe a larger Krupp's type cut?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For studs I don't know, I'd have to try them on (I wouldn't like it if they were "off" my lobe). Maybe 2 carats each? For a ring, I do not like rounds on me, I prefer a rectangular cut for maximum size :) I have a relatively small finger (a five is my preferred size). Probably 9mm for the width limit and around 12 for length. Translate that to whatever weight you want :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For earrings, it's not the width but the depth of the stones that's the issue for me.
I have a pair of CZ that are 4ct each and bezel set, and the stick out too much to make my already wide face even wider.
I have earring jackets that are nearly 20mm in diameter, however they are quite flat when worn with 8mm CS or pearl studs.

As for rings, I do not believe there is an upper limit as long as it is an EC on the skinny side (not keen on chubby ones).

DK :))

I would have nowhere to wear huge diamonds!:cry2: 2.5 would probably be the most I could get away with in my neck of the woods. 2 carats would
probably be better. I think I could go bigger on ears because they are not as noticeable as rings so maybe 4 ctw for ears.

You bring up a good point, about social circle! I never thought about it when I was thinking of the question.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, I am retired now and I swear pants/yoga pants/jeans all the time, with nowhere dressy to go. I can’t imagine wearing a diamond much bigger than 1.75 or so.

Studs are a bust for me. I have wonky ears and they don't display the way I'd like them to. For a ring, who knows, but it would have to be vintage OEC. Maybe 3 cts max. Maybe a moval, maybe a larger Krupp's type cut?

I saw this lady at a party once who was rocking this gorgeous moval that was absolutely huge. It’s such a lovely shape!

Q

Queenie60

For studs - 2 carat per ear. As for my e-ring, I'm not sure as I change my mind often! I wouldn't mind a huge emerald cut or an antique moval

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had 1.25 carats (each) studs for years. (Totally unmatched stones.) They were too big for me even though I have large earlobes. They just pulled and felt huge. Eventually I sold one of the two diamonds. (The other remains unset,) I now have perfect super ideal .5 carat (each) D color stones I can wear if I want to wear studs, but I had Whiteflash make me a pair of hoops. I can go bigger or smaller..

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably about 1 ct each for earrings, and Bella is 4.56ct (10mm+) which is as big as I’d go for a ring.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I dunno. I loved my 6.25 ctw (5.01 center radiant) ring--but am happy I no longer have it. I have a few large gemstone earrings/dangles but as studs, those large stone days are also gone for me. I have small lobes so if I were ever to get another pair of studs, they'd be under 1ctw.

While shopping recently--with my friend who got a gorgeous Tiffany solitaire--I tried on many rings. :) And felt I could not rock a 3 ctw solitaire--and I have a 6.5 ring finger. Maybe too it is because I have no place to wear that size--but I'd be perfectly happy with a stone 1 carat or smaller. More versatile at this point in my life.

I do love my 6.25 ctw asscher eternity ring--which could be considered big.

cheers--Sharon

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I had 1.25 carats (each) studs for years. (Totally unmatched stones.) They were too big for me even though I have large earlobes. They just pulled and felt huge. Eventually I sold one of the two diamonds. (The other remains unset,) I now have perfect super ideal .5 carat (each) D color stones I can wear if I want to wear studs, but I had Whiteflash make me a pair of hoops. I can go bigger or smaller..

I just love these hoops @AGBF. Do you find you wear these often? Sorry for the thread jack.

As far as a ring, a 3 carat OEC.

Earrings- I think I would go with 2 carats each -something off the ear, like in a bezeled miligrained leverback with maybe a smaller diamond set on top of each.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
For studs I don't know, I'd have to try them on (I wouldn't like it if they were "off" my lobe). Maybe 2 carats each? For a ring, I do not like rounds on me, I prefer a rectangular cut for maximum size :) I have a relatively small finger (a five is my preferred size). Probably 9mm for the width limit and around 12 for length. Translate that to whatever weight you want :)

I don't like rounds on me either! I have a three stone with rounds and it is ok on, but is bezeled. I can't do a round in solitaire setting. It looks awful on me. My finger is too chubby, I think.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not huge on diamonds on my hands. I really love colored stones and have several stones in the 6ct + mark that fill a void for me.

On the ears its a totally different story. about 5-6 months ago I tried on 2.5tcw studs.... yes they were too big but so what? :lol: I seriously can't go that big in my real life but I sure can dream. Realistically I should stay under 6.5mm. I still want to be above 6mm though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ring: 1.5 ct Asscher, which actually faces up closer to a 1.2 ct round.

Earring: 3/4 ct each ... that would be, if I wore them.
I don't wear earrings because only others can see them. :nono:

But if someone wants to see diamonds on me they can buy them for me, as long as they are each CBI rounds, .75 ct F VS1, or better, in platinum 4-prong. :praise:
Nice guy that I am though, I'll pay for the piercing. :lol-2:

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Ears 3/4 carat per lobe. Slightly less possibly.

Ring. OEC no more than 2.5 carat, other stones no more than 2. Depends on the stone, I'd go less for a beautiful stone.

Sigh. Wish I had these decisions to make in real life.

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
For a ring maybe around 4 carats. I'm guessing because I don't even know if I've ever seen a four carat stone on someone's hand in person.

I say 4 carats because I guess I could get used to that size and be fine wearing it out in public. I could go much larger if it was something to pet and play with while wandering around my house in sweat shorts and a dirty t-shirt. Imaginary money and all that.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think I could pull off 2ct (4 tcw) studs and a 3.5 ct solitaire round ring “If” I stayed in my current work office and lived in current neighborhood. However, I have to travel Internationally a bit for work, and I would NOT feel comfortable wearing any diamonds near that size. I would probably just wear a plain band on my finger and pearl studs.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have small earlobes and do t like anything more than 5mm on them so 1/2 carat. As for rings I wouldn’t like anything over 2 carats.

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to have a 3ct on my size 4.5 ring finger & 2ct (each) studs on my tiny earlobes.

Truly one can dream especially now, during this lockdown.........

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind.

:halo::lol-2:
Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.
~TheDudeWhoInspiredTheDudeWhoseIdeaOfRebellionWasCommentaryOnTroutsInMilk

I've had either too much wine or too little. And my wine glasses, unlike your asscher eternity ring, are decidedly not big :halo:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results