shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the best way to set a grayish yellowish green stone?

Which setting will showcase the greenish color of the stone best?

• Three-Stone With White/Warm Pears: platinum shank, 18K RG center basket

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Halo with White/Warm Round Melee: all-platinum halo, prongs and shank

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A fuzzy shot to show you the sparkle off the stone.

TLsagefuzzy.JPG

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW all of the colored diamonds posted on this thread are really really neat!!! I MUST resist!! But TFS!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another greyish yellowish green in a rose gold halo with pink stones .
31.gif

greygreenheart.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 6:20:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
PR,
My camera really sucks with greens, but this is a picture of my new 1.5 carat sage green diamond next to my other one. The new one is sitting atop the white gold legacyesque LOGR. The stone is very lively and not dead like the pictures depict. It''s so hard to shoot the livliness of colored diamonds in darker tones. This stone is actually more green than my 1.05 green grey depicted in the rose gold setting. It''s cleaner and better cut as well. Well, this give you an idea of what to expect in white metal with such color.
OMG, your 1.5 sage green is gorgeous!!! Especially in that Legacyesque setting!
30.gif
3.gif
22.gif

Please please please take more pics, I wanna see more!!! I agree, I can see more green in this stone.

You get to have 2 green diamond rings, I''m jealous!
11.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 9:04:33 AM
Author: D&T
I totally agree with LovingDiamonds on this. I don''t have a chameleon diamond, but I had a mali garnet with similar color traits, and it looked horrible in yellow gold to me in my opinion for my stone, unless maybe there was a halo perhaps link Ying had on hers. But I love it more in white metal (even though I set it in silver) as it really kept the green color more and brought it out more.

BTW- you have such a gorgeous stone!
Thank you, D&T!!
1.gif
I love the white metal as well, and I''m debating whether I should do a rose gold head or just dip the platinum prongs in rose gold. The only concern I have is the durability of the Rose Gold head vs. platinum. I''d feel more secure with all platinum, but I know the rose gold makes such a nice contrast with the green tone of the diamond. That sucker will POP!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 5:37:45 PM
Another greyish yellowish green in a rose gold halo with pink stones .
31.gif

TL, you are sooooooooo gonna get me in trouble with these settings!!!!

La la la la la la I'm not looking!
11.gif

ETA: Chrono, that is one hot OMC! Girlie, I didn't stop upgrading til I got to 3 cts. And who knows how long 3 cts will tie me over?
11.gif

Stone Hunter, this forum is a baaaaaaaaad influence, I'm telling you! The longest I fell off the PS wagon was 6 months,
and here I am with another diamond! But greenish diamonds are truly something special.
They have an almost mystical quality to them.
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks PR,
Honestly, I don''t like it in white gold as much as rose. I''m thinking about this setting for my stone in rose gold. Yes, I know another halo, but the pink metal around the stone really enhances the green I think.

LOGRsquarehalo.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 8:41:35 PM
Thanks PR,
Honestly, I don't like it in white gold as much as rose. I'm thinking about this setting for my stone in rose gold. Yes, I know another halo, but the pink metal around the stone really enhances the green I think.
TL, your 1.5 sage green deserves its own thread with new pics. I would love to see more pics of it! I like the details on the setting. Just curious though, do you prefer a setting that's substantial or delicate? I can see the 1.5 in a more delicate setting somehow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2009 9:19:09 PM
Author: platinumrock

Thanks PR,
Honestly, I don''t like it in white gold as much as rose. I''m thinking about this setting for my stone in rose gold. Yes, I know another halo, but the pink metal around the stone really enhances the green I think.
TL, your 1.5 sage green deserves its own thread with new pics. I would love to see more pics of it! I like the details on the setting. Just curious though, do you prefer a setting that''s substantial or delicate? I can see the 1.5 in a more delicate setting somehow.
Hi PR,
I may start a new thread on it when I get it set. As for a delicate setting, I think the rose gold metal around the stone really enhances the green color. It also has an art deco/edwardian appeal, and I like antique style settings. I wish I could find a rose gold engraved setting for it, but I can''t. Are you doing a delicate setting on yours?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 9:44:45 PM

Thanks PR,
Honestly, I don't like it in white gold as much as rose. I'm thinking about this setting for my stone in rose gold. Yes, I know another halo, but the pink metal around the stone really enhances the green I think.
TL, your 1.5 sage green deserves its own thread with new pics. I would love to see more pics of it! I like the details on the setting. Just curious though, do you prefer a setting that's substantial or delicate? I can see the 1.5 in a more delicate setting somehow.
Hi PR,
I may start a new thread on it when I get it set. As for a delicate setting, I think the rose gold metal around the stone really enhances the green color. It also has an art deco/edwardian appeal, and I like antique style settings. I wish I could find a rose gold engraved setting for it, but I can't. Are you doing a delicate setting on yours?
I'm not into thin, delicate settings but I don't like them bulky either. That's why I like the cathedral setting with bead-set melee and milgraining. It's delicate enough to let the stone stand out on its own yet substantial enough to be worn and abused 24/7. I like the idea of a halo, but I'm worried about the melee falling out. I can see a halo for a RHR though.
2.gif

Since I already have a 3-stone, another 3-stone would be redundant. So I think I'm going with the cathedral: if possible, with a RG basket. If not, at least the prongs dipped in RG.

ETA: I've never seen a split-shank, vintage-style setting like the one you posted in RG, especially with a greenish diamond. That would be awesome to see!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2009 11:22:38 PM

Date: 11/5/2009 9:44:45 PM

Thanks PR,
Hi PR,
I may start a new thread on it when I get it set. As for a delicate setting, I think the rose gold metal around the stone really enhances the green color. It also has an art deco/edwardian appeal, and I like antique style settings. I wish I could find a rose gold engraved setting for it, but I can't. Are you doing a delicate setting on yours?
I'm not into thin, delicate settings but I don't like them bulky either. That's why I like the cathedral setting with bead-set melee and milgraining. It's delicate enough to let the stone stand out on its own yet substantial enough to be worn and abused 24/7. I like the idea of a halo, but I'm worried about the melee falling out. I can see a halo for a RHR though.
2.gif

Since I already have a 3-stone, another 3-stone would be redundant. So I think I'm going with the cathedral: if possible, with a RG basket. If not, at least the prongs dipped in RG.

ETA: I've never seen a split-shank, vintage-style setting like the one you posted in RG, especially with a greenish diamond. That would be awesome to see!
I would highly recommend you get solid RG prongs, because the plated color will wear away. I have a plain cathedral type setting in white gold that I won on ebay a long time ago, and it does nothing for the stone. I personally think metal surrounding the stone, with, or without melee, really enhances the color of the greenish grey. I like the look of a vintage engraved setting, even without diamonds, around the stone. Is your stone similar in color to mine? Here's a further away pic of it, although getting the photo to be true to life is very difficult. I saw a gorgeous engraved setting the other day, and I have to find it. It's more delicate than the above setting, but I think something like that would be a good idea for these particular color stones.

TLsagegreenfurtheraway.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
. . . this is nice too, something with a heavy gallery and prongs so the rose gold can be seen more against the green stone. Just some additional ideas for you. I'm just worried that the rose gold prongs will be "invisible" against that mammoth stone of yours.

21586_Round_w.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
. . . or this. You may not be into antique settings though, but I think this is just another idea. It would also make your diamond look like six carats!!
31.gif

edwardian_antique_gallery_ring_faycullen.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep noticing rose gold as a recurring theme around green and greenish diamonds all over the web.
31.gif

i5747.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2009 12:00:49 AM
. . . this is nice too, something with a heavy gallery and prongs so the rose gold can be seen more against the green stone. Just some additional ideas for you. I'm just worried that the rose gold prongs will be 'invisible' against that mammoth stone of yours.
LMAO @ mammoth!
3.gif
I've never heard a diamond being referred to that. I like it!
31.gif

TL, thanks for the suggestions. I love the intricate details on the shank of this ring. I actually love vintage/antique style settings, especially the ones with milgraining and bead-set melee. They're so classic and eye-catching!

I think my diamond is similar in color to your 1.5. It would be so interesting to see them both once they are finally set! Rose gold is definitely going to be involved in some way.

I think I'm going to do a halo project on a future colored diamond purchase. But for this e-ring upgrade, I'm going to keep it classic.

ETA: I keep looking at your green-gray in the RG and it looks so rich. What a nice contrast!
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a rose gold setting with an antique touch will be lovely.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the rose gold suggestions (this thread has me yearning for an RG halo after seeing TL''s photos....). That said, I also think Ma Re''s suggestion of other green stones is a good one. Leon Mege has a ring with a peridot center with diamond and tsavorite halos that is beautiful AND he just put up a rose gold ring w/ blue-green diamond center and pink diamond halo. Both color combos would look good with your stone, IMHO.

I was also considering whether a RG halo may look good w/ a spess hence the tweaking of color in the pic below -- I tried adding in the color of your stone (lower left) but had a hard time copying the color in the picture...

LM_Pdt_GrnDmd_halos.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2009 12:51:35 AM
Author: tsavvy
I agree with the rose gold suggestions (this thread has me yearning for an RG halo after seeing TL''s photos....). That said, I also think Ma Re''s suggestion of other green stones is a good one. Leon Mege has a ring with a peridot center with diamond and tsavorite halos that is beautiful AND he just put up a rose gold ring w/ blue-green diamond center and pink diamond halo. Both color combos would look good with your stone, IMHO.

I was also considering whether a RG halo may look good w/ a spess hence the tweaking of color in the pic below -- I tried adding in the color of your stone (lower left) but had a hard time copying the color in the picture...
Wow, Tsavvy, thanks for the pics, they''re awesome!! I would kill for an orange diamond like the one you depicted below. I love the green grey in rose gold halo (as everyone probably noticed by now - lol!!).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PR - Oh dear I''m going to be about as much help as a chocolate tea pot but blame TL for this next comment. WHITE GOLD/PLATINUM IS THE WAY TO GO!!! It was TL''s fault. She posted her new green in the w/gold Legacyesque setting and W
30.gif
W the colour really pops and looks green. (By the way TL I ADORE the LOGR you''re considering. I''ve had my eye on that setting forever!).

If you''ve GOT to have rose gold, how about a platinum shank and head but have a rose gold bezel? I''m worried that if you have a full halo of rose gold it''ll be a bit too much but a bezel will be subtle, will add colour but won''t run the risk of clashing.

TL - Thought you might like to see my orange diamond! Natural and untreated!!!! This picture was taken several years ago with an old rubbish camera so it doesn''t capture the true colour but you get an idea!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2009 9:32:46 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
PR - Oh dear I'm going to be about as much help as a chocolate tea pot but blame TL for this next comment. WHITE GOLD/PLATINUM IS THE WAY TO GO!!! It was TL's fault. She posted her new green in the w/gold Legacyesque setting and W
30.gif
W the colour really pops and looks green. (By the way TL I ADORE the LOGR you're considering. I've had my eye on that setting forever!).

If you've GOT to have rose gold, how about a platinum shank and head but have a rose gold bezel? I'm worried that if you have a full halo of rose gold it'll be a bit too much but a bezel will be subtle, will add colour but won't run the risk of clashing.

TL - Thought you might like to see my orange diamond! Natural and untreated!!!! This picture was taken several years ago with an old rubbish camera so it doesn't capture the true colour but you get an idea!
Hi LD,
I actually don't like the green grey in my WG legacy at all. I'm sorry, I guess we have to agree to disagree on this one.
8.gif
Glad you like the other setting though. I've decided to order it in all rose gold (I know, you're probably cringing - LOL!!).

I have an orange diamond as well, but I find they tend to have a lot of brown in them. I want one like the Pumpkin diamond owned by Harry Winston!!
31.gif
Your orange diamond is beautiful!!

Here's mine - similar shape as yours

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/got-my-orange-colored-diamond.99786/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tsavy,
Awesome pictures.

Wow, TL and PR both have orange diamonds. I take it they are not yet set?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2009 11:52:02 AM
Author: Chrono
Tsavy,
Awesome pictures.

I have lots of colored diamonds that aren''t set yet. My biggest quandry is how to set a greyish lilac diamond I have (60 points). I don''t think it would work with any color gold, but it''s so pretty!!

Well PR,
I can''t wait to see what you come up with. This thread is so much fun, and thanks again to Tsavvy for her wonderful photoshopping. Can you imagine that one vivid green diamond in the Leon pink halo? If anyone ever had such a ring and put it in SMTR, it would probably cause PS to come crashing down due to all the looks and comments. WOWZA
30.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2009 5:26:52 PM

Date: 11/7/2009 11:52:02 AM
Author: Chrono
Tsavy,
Awesome pictures.

I have lots of colored diamonds that aren't set yet. My biggest quandry is how to set a greyish lilac diamond I have (60 points). I don't think it would work with any color gold, but it's so pretty!!

Well PR,
I can't wait to see what you come up with. This thread is so much fun, and thanks again to Tsavvy for her wonderful photoshopping. Can you imagine that one vivid green diamond in the Leon pink halo? If anyone ever had such a ring and put it in SMTR, it would probably cause PS to come crashing down due to all the looks and comments. WOWZA
30.gif
I set mine in rose gold and white gold! It was the only combination that worked! :)

We have orange twins! I'll take some more photos tomorrow because mine's not as brown as the photo suggests but if you'd like to send me yours .................. no? Oh well!
9.gif
Like you, I've got quite a few coloured diamonds unset. Perhaps we should combine and create one mammoth piece lol!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I took some more pics today, and I just had to share these with you guys!

I always drooled over everyone else''s arrow shots. I finally have one!
3.gif

gygarrows_1_1.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Bluish fire shot
30.gif

gygfire_1_1_1.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Yellow and green....BAM!
10.gif

gygfire2_1_1.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
This is interesting because the fire on the stone is blue, but its reflection shows orange.
41.gif

Maybe she''s a Gator fan...
31.gif

blueorange.JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Overcast pic, but gives you a better idea of the color in the daytime.

Somehow, it throws off a lot of red, orange and yellow fire.
33.gif

gygovercast (2).JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Last one. This was indirect sunlight. I love the pink tone in this pic.

That''s lint on the upper left corner, as well as a water droplet that made the arrow look crooked.

Kind of cool though! It was early morning after all.
5.gif

gygfire4_1_1.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
WOW!! VAVAVABOOOOM!!!

Beautiful pictures, PR!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results