shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the best way to set a grayish yellowish green stone?

Which setting will showcase the greenish color of the stone best?

• Three-Stone With White/Warm Pears: platinum shank, 18K RG center basket

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Halo with White/Warm Round Melee: all-platinum halo, prongs and shank

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could post pictures of it on a penny and a nickel to see the contrast of white and rose gold.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2009 10:13:47 PM
Author:platinumrock
Hello Ladies, I''m been missing in action for a few months, but I''m back. Okay, I admit it. I''ve been trying to stay away from this forum with hopes of curing my DSS. And look what happens! I''m over here asking advice about settings.

That''s like sending an alcoholic to the bar. Bad. Baaaaaad!!!
11.gif
Well I''ve only be absent a couple of days and looked what I missed!

Haven''t checked out your thread yet and I''m heading out of the door.

But gosh I''ve missed you and I''m glad you are ok and finally BACK!
We''ll catch up later. Now be a good girl and stay put ok?

Oh, while you were away trying to cure your DSS, (you mean Peachy Precious is lacking in some way?), see what I was up to

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2009 10:23:12 AM
Author: platinumrock

ETA: Where do I get a blacklight? It''s funny because I have not used flash in any of these pics. The flash just whitens everything out.
They sell them all over ebay for really cheap. I have a keychain one I bought for $5.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2009 10:10:53 AM
Daytime, indoors, filtered sunlight.
OH that''s just LOVELY!!!

Congrats on finding such a cool stone!!

I''m still working on my "selecting settings" skill so I''ll let the other PSers help you with that. TFS!!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2009 10:29:46 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
OMG PR what a phenomenal stone. It has sooooooo many personalities. Whilst TL and I normally agree on colours (and I''m sensitive to grey/brown modifiers the same as TL - although not as much as her) we are polar opposites with metal colours
9.gif
As I was looking at your new photos I was yelling ''white'' ''white'' ''white''! It''s so unique and you need that baby to have a stage fit for a queen!

In terms of haloing or side stones? Either will look lovely. If you feel it''s too small then a halo''s a great idea. I''d reiterate that I''d go for super white diamonds though. That way they''ll look good with the apple, grey, green, champagne colours you''re seeing. BTW are you wearing a pink/red top when taking the first photograph because there''s definitely some pink coming through at the bottom of the diamond?

PR/TL - yes it''s my blue diamond. It''s irradiated and a .70ct. It has a gorgeous blue colour and isn''t as dark as some others I''ve seen.

PR I''ve got some irradiated green diamonds set in both white and yellow gold - the green''s are a yellow green and not really the colour of your diamond but if you want to see what they look like with white diamonds and different colour metals I''ll post up piccies for you but not sure they''ll help much.
Thank you so much for your kind words, LD!! I envy your jewelry collection, so that means a lot. I think a halo with white diamonds would be nice, but I don''t want it to look gaudy either. Also, are halos high maintenance? I just don''t want any melee falling out as I wear my rings 24/7 and I want it to be sturdy enough for daily abuse. I was wearing a white tank when I took that pic, but somehow I see all sorts of colors come through. It may be the fire coming from the stone, but I also see yellows, oranges and reds. So what are you going to do with your blue diamond? Somehow I see that baby surrounded by a fancy yellow halo. Don''t know why, but I just do!

Oh, Please do post some pics of your greens. I think I caught a glimpse of them on another thread but why not post them on this thread as well?? That way we can compare the various tones of green and metal.
30.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2009 10:34:12 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 10/31/2009 10:13:47 PM
Author:platinumrock
Hello Ladies, I''m been missing in action for a few months, but I''m back. Okay, I admit it. I''ve been trying to stay away from this forum with hopes of curing my DSS. And look what happens! I''m over here asking advice about settings.

That''s like sending an alcoholic to the bar. Bad. Baaaaaad!!!
11.gif
Well I''ve only be absent a couple of days and looked what I missed!

Haven''t checked out your thread yet and I''m heading out of the door.

But gosh I''ve missed you and I''m glad you are ok and finally BACK!
We''ll catch up later. Now be a good girl and stay put ok?

Oh, while you were away trying to cure your DSS, (you mean Peachy Precious is lacking in some way?), see what I was up to
Gailey, sweetie, how are you???? What have you been up to?? I missed you too!!! I''m so happy to be back and it feels so nice to be welcomed back.
5.gif
As much as I love Peachy Precious, she just isn''t quite my dream size, which is 3 carats. So I''ve always wanted something a little bigger until I was finally content. I will be wearing her as a RHR tho, since she''s already a 3-stone.

Yes girlie, we do need to catch up! I caught a glimpse of your project, and it''s beautiful! I am going right now to comment on your stunning diamond band!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
With a platinum cathedral setting...for LD!
3.gif

gygcathedral_1_1.JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
This is for you, TL!
31.gif

gygpenny_1_1.JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Together with the platinum, penny and 22K YG bracelet my sister gave me. She got it from her trip to Singapore a looong time ago.

It's funny because my husband thinks it really pops with the penny. So points for TL!
36.gif

gygallmetalsflash_1_1.JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
From the side....

gygallmetalsfront_1_2_1.JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Last one, without flash...under incandescent light.

gygallmetalsnf_1_1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2009 8:00:57 PM
This is for you, TL!
31.gif
I love that picture of it on the penny. Thank you!!!

BTW PR, I totally blame you
11.gif
, but I just purchased this 7.3mm stone, and I want it for my empty LOGR legacy ring. It's white gold, so we'll see how it looks in there. It's a lighter greyish yellow green than yours, and it is probably smaller, but I wanted something for that LOGR legacy for a while (it's a very nice setting), and we'll see how it looks in white gold surrounded by white diamonds.

TLgreyyellowgreen.JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2009 8:22:02 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

This is for you, TL!
31.gif

11.gif
, but I just purchased this 7.3mm stone, and I want it for my empty LOGR legacy ring. It''s white gold, so we''ll see how it looks in there. It''s a lighter greyish yellow green than yours, and it is probably smaller, but I wanted something for that LOGR legacy for a while (it''s a very nice setting), and we''ll see how it looks in white gold surrounded by white diamonds.
OOOOOH TL, that stone is stunning!!! Look at the arrows on it! Haha...I take all the blame for your new purchase. My husband threatened to make me sign a contract to end this colored diamond sickeness..heheee. But you''re the one that got me started on the greenish diamond search, especially after seeing your gray-green in rose gold! I think it''s going to be stunning in the LOGR, especially white gold. I can''t wait for you to get it in the mail!!
36.gif

By the way, did you get my email?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2009 8:31:09 PM

Date: 11/1/2009 8:22:02 PM

This is for you, TL!
31.gif

11.gif
, but I just purchased this 7.3mm stone, and I want it for my empty LOGR legacy ring. It''s white gold, so we''ll see how it looks in there. It''s a lighter greyish yellow green than yours, and it is probably smaller, but I wanted something for that LOGR legacy for a while (it''s a very nice setting), and we''ll see how it looks in white gold surrounded by white diamonds.
OOOOOH TL, that stone is stunning!!! Look at the arrows on it! Haha...I take all the blame for your new purchase. My husband threatened to make me sign a contract to end this colored diamond sickeness..heheee. But you''re the one that got me started on the greenish diamond search, especially after seeing your gray-green in rose gold! I think it''s going to be stunning in the LOGR, especially white gold. I can''t wait for you to get it in the mail!!
36.gif

By the way, did you get my email?
Thank you PR. I loved the proportions and luster on it, as well as the fact it is very clean and the perfect size for my LOGR. Glad to be the one to blame for your "sickness." Sorry the thread went off in such a tangent, it''s just so nice to have you back, and with that gorgeous diamond to top it off!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In theory, I would have chosen yellow gold, but after seeing your pictures of the diamond next to white, yellow and rose, yellow is definitely out. It’s either rose or white.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hiya PR - well I''m going to eat humble pie now! TL are you listening - this is going to be a rare moment! *Braces herself* I actually like the diamond on the penny. There! I can''t believe I said that!!!! Mind you, I also like it with the platinum! If you''re thinking of going the rose gold route, please please please put it on the penny and compare it in all lights won''t you?

When you look at it next to all the golds, which one is your eye drawn to? That should give you the answer and don''t listen then to anybody else!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 2:13:24 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Hiya PR - well I''m going to eat humble pie now! TL are you listening - this is going to be a rare moment! *Braces herself* I actually like the diamond on the penny. There! I can''t believe I said that!!!! Mind you, I also like it with the platinum! If you''re thinking of going the rose gold route, please please please put it on the penny and compare it in all lights won''t you?

When you look at it next to all the golds, which one is your eye drawn to? That should give you the answer and don''t listen then to anybody else!!!
Funny LD!! At least I know that diamond is worth a "pretty penny," that''s for sure.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
GOOD LORD, PR!! Where have you been??? I have missed you and thought about you often!!!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
TL, thank you for the kind words. I'm so happy to be back and to talk to so many wonderful people on PS again, especially my colored stone buddies. Hopefully Olive will finally cure my DSS and wandering eye. Seriously, if my wandering eye for bigger and better diamonds was a metaphor for how I see marriage, I'd have been divorced 3 times already!
27.gif

Oh, that "pretty penny" gave me a giggle!
9.gif

LD, your comment cracked me up! It's so funny how you and TL are polar opposites in terms of metal color. Then you fess up and admit that you kinda like the rose gold idea. What about a rose gold head and a platinum shank? That would be a nice compromise betwen two metals. I will try to take some more pics for you in different lighting. Those pics I posted were from last night, with the flash, in incandescent light.

My eyes are drawn to the platinum and penny, but I think the penny makes a nice contrast with the green.

Mochi!! How have you been, my dear??? I missed you too, and it's so good to hear from you! I've been wondering what new gemmy projects you've been up to. Did Mellow Yellow get new groupies yet? What about new siblings?
31.gif

StoneHunter, thank you! I'm still debating how I should set this stone. I can't wait to see your new setting when it's finished!

Chrono, thanks for your feedback. I'm also debating between white and rose gold. Is that a cushion on your avatar? It's beautiful and ICY WHITE!
11.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
This one cracked me up when I saw this. It literally looks like it''s on fire!
41.gif

gygfire8_1_1.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I almost forgot to add this one, it's so cute! That's Nunu's nose (my Lab). He was trying to smelll the diamond.

"Can I eat it, Mommy?"
18.gif

gygsatsun1_1_1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful picture PR. Can''t wait to see how you decide to set it. With the meticulous care you took in setting Peachy, I''m sure this will be stunning!!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 8:05:38 PM
Oh, I almost forgot to add this one, it''s so cute! That''s Nunu''s nose (my Lab). He was trying to smelll the diamond.

''Can I eat it, Mommy?''
18.gif

OMG..I love that picture of your gem and Nunu''s nose! LOL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t let Nunu get too close or he might decide to breathe it in. He’s so cute!

Welcome back, PR. It’s been a while. My OMC is quite new (a RHR upgrade) and that "icy white" thing is an L!
2.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 8:11:56 AM
Author: Chrono
Don’t let Nunu get too close or he might decide to breathe it in. He’s so cute!

Welcome back, PR. It’s been a while. My OMC is quite new (a RHR upgrade) and that ''icy white'' thing is an L!
2.gif
Thank you, Chrono! It''s so nice to be back. I almost had a heart attack when Nunu just flopped his nose next to the stone! Can you imagine that little sucker getting stuck in his wet nose?

I can''t believe your OMC is an L!
23.gif
That is insane! Have you decided how you are going to set it?

TL, thank you! I''m leaning towards an 18K rose gold head with a platinum shank right now. The diamond really stands out with the penny!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was the ring that inspired me to try rose gold with my green.
2.gif
mimi.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, that double halo in rose is gorgeous!
PR, the OMC is in a temporary solitaire setting until I decide if it’s the final upgrade or if there’s more to come.
11.gif

gogomchandshot.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with LovingDiamonds on this. I don''t have a chameleon diamond, but I had a mali garnet with similar color traits, and it looked horrible in yellow gold to me in my opinion for my stone, unless maybe there was a halo perhaps link Ying had on hers. But I love it more in white metal (even though I set it in silver) as it really kept the green color more and brought it out more.

BTW- you have such a gorgeous stone!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2009 9:44:45 PM
This was the ring that inspired me to try rose gold with my green.
2.gif
mimi.jpg
Ok. I''m loving this!!! rose gold and green is sure yummy here!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PR,
My camera really sucks with greens, but this is a picture of my new 1.5 carat sage green diamond next to my other one. The new one is sitting atop the white gold legacyesque LOGR. The stone is very lively and not dead like the pictures depict. It''s so hard to shoot the livliness of colored diamonds in darker tones. This stone is actually more green than my 1.05 green grey depicted in the rose gold setting. It''s cleaner and better cut as well. Well, this give you an idea of what to expect in white metal with such color.

TLsagegreen.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results