shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you dislike?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too much orange in these red spinels.

redspineltrio.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 8:34:59 AM
Author: Chrono
These are the better few of my learner stones; these 2 blue spinels have a distinctive gray component.
I think they''re pretty in the photographs. Including your orangey red spinels. Do they photograph better than IRL?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 9:02:28 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

These are the better few of my learner stones; these 2 blue spinels have a distinctive gray component.
I think they're pretty in the photographs. Including your orangey red spinels. Do they photograph better than IRL?
Thank you, TL. These pictures are accurate; it's just that I'm terribly fussed about colour. As mentioned, these are the better learner stones. The worst of my learner stones are really bad though. They have that dreaded half and half extinction, grayish blue green tourmalines, grayish blue aquamarine, and generally just too gray for my liking.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 9:20:30 AM

I think they''re pretty in the photographs. Including your orangey red spinels. Do they photograph better than IRL?
Thank you, TL. These pictures are accurate; it''s just that I''m terribly fussed about colour. As mentioned, these are the better learner stones. The worst of my learner stones are really bad though. They have that dreaded half and half extinction, grayish blue green tourmalines, grayish blue aquamarine, and generally just too gray for my liking.
The round blue spinel is pretty, although there is some grey, I can see enough blue. Sometimes blue spinels look totally grey with a hint of blue and/or they''re very extinct. I think that one is worth setting, pretty. I guess your cobalts put it to shame though.
emembarrassed.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 9:24:18 AM

The round blue spinel is pretty, although there is some grey, I can see enough blue. Sometimes blue spinels look totally grey with a hint of blue and/or they''re very extinct. I think that one is worth setting, pretty. I guess your cobalts put it to shame though.
emembarrassed.gif
OK, I''ll fess up. Barry cut that round blue spinel.
3.gif
It''s not THAT bad but you are correct, my cobalts blow these away.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a feeling Barry cut it. Even though it has grey, I think it''s very pretty, and I love the cutting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 9:29:38 AM
I had a feeling Barry cut it. Even though it has grey, I think it''s very pretty, and I love the cutting.
See, this is why I can''t post the rest of the pictures. The rest are also precision cut and even if I used my own pictures, the cutting style is so distinctive that the other PS regulars (especially fans of the cutter) will recognize it right away. Oh well, you all will just have to take my word for it that the rest of my learner stones aren''t very nice. TL, thanks for the kind words on the Barry blue spinel.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono,
I like a bit of orange in red spinels. I even prefer it!

The only cutting styles I don''t like are concave and checkerboard.
Concave reminds me of synthetic classrings when I was in high school. Checkerboard--I just hate it. It looks cheap to me, and like some inclusion is trying to be hidden.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, if those are your "bad" stones...
6.gif

As for what I don''t like: most opals, turquoise, black diamonds (especially since so often they''re pitted and put in really cheap awful-looking settings), heart-shaped cuts, concave cuts (sorry!), mystic topaz (probably my absolute least favorite in the world), London blues, and any jewelry made with marcasite (looks terrible even before the marcasite starts disintegrating).

I''m a little surprised that so many people mentioned trillions. I like them!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 3:41:54 PM
Author: Liane
Chrono, if those are your 'bad' stones...
6.gif

As for what I don't like: most opals, turquoise, black diamonds (especially since so often they're pitted and put in really cheap awful-looking settings), heart-shaped cuts, concave cuts (sorry!), mystic topaz (probably my absolute least favorite in the world), London blues, and any jewelry made with marcasite (looks terrible even before the marcasite starts disintegrating).

I'm a little surprised that so many people mentioned trillions. I like them!

I don't even consider any coated gemstone a gemstone, that's how much I detest them - LOL!

Any gemstone that's been highly treated, like coated gems, glass filled rubies, beryllium treated sapphires, that sort of thing, really bugs me. I can tolerate some treatment like traditional heat treatment (ie: most paraibas are heat treated).

BTW, I like trillions as well. I think some dichroic/trichroic gems look best as trillions, like amethyst and tanzanite

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve yet to find a yellow sapphire I actually liked. I don''t know what it is about them but I just really don''t like them much.

I think maybe its because its too yellow.

-A

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Chrono, I would GLADLY relieve you of those learner spinels! Haha.

I never was much for trillions either, not sure why.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, if Chrono dislikes them so much, she should send them to me!!
31.gif
I have a special gemstone disposal unit at my house.
27.gif

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
heart shaped stones - they''re too twee

mystic topaz - it''s just too weird and looks really fake

rose quartz - its boring

also not a huge fan of emeralds but thats more cos tof the pampering it needs rather than the way it looks.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I don''t like tanzanite. Dunno why, but yuck!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 9:42:47 PM
Author: Upgradable
I don''t like tanzanite. Dunno why, but yuck!

Not my favorite either!

However, I can''t really think of ANY stone that I detest as long as it is of great quality.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shhhhh!! I don't like white diamonds, except as accent stones.
emembarrassed.gif

Wow, this thread is making me realize that I don't like lots of things.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t like:
-concave cutting
-checkerboard cut stones
-star stones
-cabochons, sugarloaves
-the color orange
-opaque anything, although included or silky is fine with me
-windows/extinction/very obvious cutting problems
-coated topaz just looks too fake
-tanzanite unless it''s really light lavender, and then I think it''s overpriced
-shapes: heart, pear, trillions, princesses
-the color brown

I don''t get:
-Pads
-neon stones
-Spess
-Yellow although I love yellow diamonds

I love:
-spinel
-tourmaline
-gray
-blue
-lavender
-teals
-green
-copper/peach colored stones

Now that I look at this, it''s amazing I have any gemmies.
40.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I''ll take those blue spinels off your hands!
1.gif
And the red ones too!

I don''t like:

- Most yellow stones
- Black stones
- Orange stones
- Brown stones

I really dislike:

- Heart cuts
- Princess/radiant cuts
- Trillions
- Portuguese cuts

I''m not a huge fan of most peridots, and I like pads but I don''t love them. I''m with Freke - I don''t really like cabs or sugarloaves (love my facets!)

But for the most part, I love garnets, sapphires, spinels, tourmalines, etc. I love bright colors, love blues and greens in particular, love rounds and cushions and ovals (especially Barry''s for the cushions and ovals).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, based on this thread so far (which is quite a fun thread BTW), I think everyone just about hates heart cuts, me included. However, I almost bought a stone recently even though it was heart shaped, simply because the color was awesome. It got swiped up before I could buy it though. I could just see me posting it on PS though, a heart, everyone would be
14.gif
emcrook.gif
Come to think of it, I can't even remember the last time anyone posted a heart shaped gem on PS.

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 9:20:30 AM

Thank you, TL. These pictures are accurate; it''s just that I''m terribly fussed about colour. As mentioned, these are the better learner stones. The worst of my learner stones are really bad though. They have that dreaded half and half extinction, grayish blue green tourmalines, grayish blue aquamarine, and generally just too gray for my liking.
Although not comparable to your avatar, your learn stone does not look bad to me at all.
I don''t like gray tone in the color either.
Grayish is also the Biggest no no in terms of Jadeite
22.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is too kind; I see there''s a queue building up for my blue and red spinels. Who''s first in line?
11.gif
9.gif

Generally, I don''t like any treatment other than regular heat. That means no coating (topaz), nuking (some pink tourmalines, topaz), BE diffusion, glass or lead filling and synthetics. In terms of shape, I''m not a fan of checkerboard cutting and heart shapes. I won''t turn down a pretty trillion but it must be really something for it to catch my interest.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 10:55:13 PM
Everyone is too kind; I see there''s a queue building up for my blue and red spinels. Who''s first in line?
11.gif
9.gif

Generally, I don''t like any treatment other than regular heat. That means no coating (topaz), nuking (some pink tourmalines, topaz), BE diffusion, glass or lead filling and synthetics. In terms of shape, I''m not a fan of checkerboard cutting and heart shapes. I won''t turn down a pretty trillion but it must be really something for it to catch my interest.
If you don''t like them, you should sell them. . . seriously. It''s a waste to have those pretty stones linger in a box to sit around as poor "learning stones." Okay, you''ve learned, now give them a good home!! LOL!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2009 10:43:01 PM
Well, based on this thread so far (which is quite a fun thread BTW), I think everyone just about hates heart cuts, me included. However, I almost bought a stone recently even though it was heart shaped, simply because the color was awesome. It got swiped up before I could buy it though. I could just see me posting it on PS though, a heart, everyone would be
14.gif
emcrook.gif
Come to think of it, I can't even remember the last time anyone posted a heart shaped gem on PS.
I will post my little heart shape Oregon sunstone as soon as I get a working camera.
9.gif
It's my first heart stone but I must say the colour is very pretty.

Chrono's learner stone are pretty, I'll take one of the red and one of the blue please.
11.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want first dibs on Chrono''s blue spinel!

Because you know, I don''t have enough already...
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, if none of you like hearts, I''ll take the blue heart here.

fancyblueheartwow.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, you can still keep that blue heart TL.
3.gif

Hearts are an instant nix on my part unless they are TEENY TINY pink ones. Like in Lori''s key.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 11:37:19 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Yeah, you can still keep that blue heart TL.
3.gif

Hearts are an instant nix on my part unless they are TEENY TINY pink ones. Like in Lori''s key.
Yes, Freke, but you can sell that heart, and buy a house. LOL!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I guess I should start by saying that there are a lot of stones I appreciate but wouldn''t want to spend the money on for myself because they just don''t suit me...

With that disclaimer, I will say, after buying my "learning" stones and looking at other stones on the forum, I don''t see myself adding any of the following to my collection

Stones with gray or brown under tones
step cuts (will maybe one someday)
heart shaped cuts
over or under saturated stones

I also have quite a few pastels, and while I am fine with those, I think I like the bright colors more.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I think this thread is fascinating - I have almost no idea what any of you are talking about, but I really enjoy reading anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results