shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you dislike?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a stone or a shape you just aren''t crazy about? Why do you feel that way?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few of those and consider them my "learner" stones. They are what I purchased many years ago when I first got into coloured gemstones. I used to think they are lovely but as I developed an eye for them, I now see how unsaturated they are, not to mention, I''m very used to larger gemstones now. It''s a good thing they are very inexpensive and will be given to my children/nieces when they are older.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Topaz

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan of opals or emeralds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2009 12:09:53 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Topaz
Not even Imperials? What about pink topaz (untreated)?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2009 12:12:14 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 12/27/2009 12:09:53 PM
Topaz
Not even Imperials? What about pink topaz (untreated)?
Nope!

Untreated pink perhaps if it was the last gemstone in the world and only as a "because I haven''t got one" stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2009 12:19:14 PM

Nope!

Untreated pink perhaps if it was the last gemstone in the world and only as a ''because I haven''t got one'' stone.
Interesting....do you mind explaining why?

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Mystic or white Topaz
5.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That's a really tough question, cause every stone (if we're talking only decent quality and above) can look good in the right setting and in a well chosen design.

But if I'd have to choose something I'm not a fan of, it would probably be most indicolites and blue spinels - cause they're usually too dark and lack depth of color. I also don't particularly like some colors like light blue, turquoise and pink, but there are always exceptions so it doesen't mean I don't like any stones in those colors (nothing wrong with nice rubelites or aquas).

But honestly, the only thing that I really despise when it comes to jewellery is attaching some fancy, marketing names to low quality materials and selling them as something unique, rare etc. Heavy treatments fall in the same category.

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
I dislike opals (too shiny
14.gif
) and black diamonds (too dull).

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
i don''t like opals, mawsitsit, star sapphires or any irradiated stones in general.

i only like very expensive emeralds that i can''t afford!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to only like round, and thought marquise was awful. Since coming here, I''ve seen this whole other world of shapes/colors/cuts that I never imagined. I never really thought cabs were that interesting...and after seeing some cab pieces, completely changed my mind! Even if it''s something that isn''t "me", I still appreciate it, so I don''t know necessarily that there''s something I totally dislike.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The only gem that I''ve ever had which I can definitely say I didn''t like was a peridot which was so brown that it was the color of a swamp. I had given a client a box of rough stones and asked her to pick one which she would like to have me cut and she picked what I thought was the worst looking thing I''d ever seen. It took me two days to cut it because I couldn''t stand to look at it for more than an hour at a sitting...it actually made me slightly nauseous looking at it. I got the thing finished, set it and when she came in she was REALLY happy with it. Going on and on about how she''d never seen a color like that and it was so unique. I had to wait until she''d left to start laughing, since I''d come up with where I''d seen that color before, but couldn''t mention it to her, (I''d thought about being down at the river where the geese congregate in the winter...they leave that color all over the ground
6.gif
). That stone just made it very clear that everyone has different tastes, but it sure wasn''t my cup of tea !

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha! Great story Michael!

I still haven''t been converted to the asscher camp yet.

In terms of stones, I just prefer things that are au natural, so I tend not to buy stones that are regularly heated (zircon, blue topaz, etc).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2009 3:31:08 PM
Author: Michael_E
The only gem that I''ve ever had which I can definitely say I didn''t like was a peridot which was so brown that it was the color of a swamp. I had given a client a box of rough stones and asked her to pick one which she would like to have me cut and she picked what I thought was the worst looking thing I''d ever seen. It took me two days to cut it because I couldn''t stand to look at it for more than an hour at a sitting...it actually made me slightly nauseous looking at it. I got the thing finished, set it and when she came in she was REALLY happy with it. Going on and on about how she''d never seen a color like that and it was so unique. I had to wait until she''d left to start laughing, since I''d come up with where I''d seen that color before, but couldn''t mention it to her, (I''d thought about being down at the river where the geese congregate in the winter...they leave that color all over the ground
6.gif
). That stone just made it very clear that everyone has different tastes, but it sure wasn''t my cup of tea !
That''s hilarious
9.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t like mystic or white topaz either, and I dislike asymmetric shapes set asymmetrically - I saw a blue topaz pendant where the very clearly oblong stone was set en-pointe, dangling from one corner, and it had a halo that just emphasized the asymmetry. I just kept wondering "why??"

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I don''t like emeralds or opals only because they are very soft....I do think they''re pretty. I mostly like rounds but I''ve seen stunning stones in other shapes.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have yet to buy a cushion. Not sure why. I guess I just haven''t seen a reason to spend my money on one yet.

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 11:54:02 AM
Author: Chrono
I have a few of those and consider them my ''learner'' stones. They are what I purchased many years ago when I first got into coloured gemstones. I used to think they are lovely but as I developed an eye for them, I now see how unsaturated they are, not to mention, I''m very used to larger gemstones now. It''s a good thing they are very inexpensive and will be given to my children/nieces when they are older.
dear Chrono, do you mind showing us what your ''learner'' stones look like?
I''m keen to learn from you guys that for what kind of stone I should resist its temptation.
I seems to love every stone I encounter and feel an impulse to buy them all
3.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
trillions. they remind me of the cheap cuts used in high school class rings.

and hearts. for some reason they just seem "young" to me- but i''ve seen some pretty ones before, just isn''t for me.

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 3:31:08 PM
Author: Michael_E
6.gif
hahaha, next time, if I pick some terrible color, please do let me know~!
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aqua - please don''t throw stones at me!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don''t like emerald, aqua, morganite...really any of the beryl family.

With few exceptions, I don''t love peridot, although I have a gorgeous bracelet made with emerald cut peridots.

Believe it or not, I don''t really like sapphires or rubies. I prefer spinels, garnets, and tourmalines.

I like most of the garnet family, but not spessartite. And while I like most spinels, I can''t get into the red or pink ones that everyone seems to be crazy for.

I generally don''t like white/colorless stones...I''d rather just have a diamond. I think colored stones should be, well, colored!

Stones I like, on the other hand, that lots of people don''t really seem to...opal, treated topaz (mystic, London blue, neptune, etc.), star stones...and I don''t mind heat treatment at all.

TL, I don''t think I''d mind if people threw stones at me, as long as they were colored stones. Except the ones I don''t like.
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I don't like opaque stones, like turquoise or lapis--though black opals are an exception due to their glitter. Shape-wise, I'm not fond of round or trilliants.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get the fascination for padparadschas, but that's just me. I suppose some are very pretty like Art Nouveau's and Widget's, but since no one can really agree what a true padparadscha is, and now the labs are calling them anything with low to medium saturation, they don't really do it for me, espeically for the prices.

I don't like yellow stones at all, the only yellow stone I can stomach is canary yellow diamond.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 12:47:55 AM
Author: jstarfireb
I don''t like emerald, aqua, morganite...really any of the beryl family.

With few exceptions, I don''t love peridot, although I have a gorgeous bracelet made with emerald cut peridots.

Believe it or not, I don''t really like sapphires or rubies. I prefer spinels, garnets, and tourmalines.

I like most of the garnet family, but not spessartite. And while I like most spinels, I can''t get into the red or pink ones that everyone seems to be crazy for.

I generally don''t like white/colorless stones...I''d rather just have a diamond. I think colored stones should be, well, colored!

Stones I like, on the other hand, that lots of people don''t really seem to...opal, treated topaz (mystic, London blue, neptune, etc.), star stones...and I don''t mind heat treatment at all.

TL, I don''t think I''d mind if people threw stones at me, as long as they were colored stones. Except the ones I don''t like.
2.gif
LOL!! Make sure you catch them so they don''t fall and chip!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Michael-funny story!

I don''t like milky or oily looking colored diamonds, ones that don''t have good crystal drive me nuts-I just keep thinking that all that sparkle must be hiding in there somewhere.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2009 10:20:16 PM
Author: babydoll_mini

dear Chrono, do you mind showing us what your ''learner'' stones look like?
I''m keen to learn from you guys that for what kind of stone I should resist its temptation.
I seems to love every stone I encounter and feel an impulse to buy them all
3.gif
Unfortunately, I never took pictures of the stones and probably never will since I don''t think they deserve it.
23.gif
I am also hesitant in posting the vendors'' pictures because they are instantly recognizable in this forum because the cutting and photography style is very distinctive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the better few of my learner stones; these 2 blue spinels have a distinctive gray component.

bluespinelduo1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this one for the unique shape. The saturation could stand to be better.

flowertourmaline2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results