shape
carat
color
clarity

What’s the most amount of money you’d spend on a non-bling wearable item? Eg - handbag, shoes, scarf, clothes etc.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh, this keeps changing, usually it's the last one I was in the mood for. In this case it was this Birkin 25 in orange. But soon comes the next and then this will probably be the favorite bag until .......

IMG_0818.jpeg

Great color

Yes, that's exactly why we do this - to get compliments, right? I only have one bag from LV (Capucines), the rest of my collection is mostly Hermes and a few more from Bottega Veneta. What I like about Hermes (at least the Kelly's and Birkin's) and also BV is that the brand is not so much in the foreground. Those who know about bags know what it is, and for everyone else it's just a normal bag.

The Petit Malle, especially in leather and not canvas, is another bag where the brand is not super in your face (well, as much as that’s possible for LV) :D it’s a touch impractical because it doesn’t hold much, but boy is it STUNNING, if that enables you to add one to your collection!

I also love Bottega and how discreet it is, I think it looks better on slightly older women than myself (my mom has a few, it’s one of her favourite brands) but I did spring for one clutch and I absolutely love it.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@Neptune I was too late to edit my post - you have an amazing fashion sense, would love to see what you picked out for your wedding!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I think more like a guy...I just want my purses to be functional and to hold up. I've been carrying Sak leather cross-body bags
for about 10 years. Somewhere in the $80-$100 price range. When we went on our trip out west this summer I needed something
smaller and more lightweight that I could wear under my jacket so it wouldn't be counted as my personal item on the plane. I used a
black nylon cross-body bag that was so lightweight I barely felt like I was carrying anything. During the trip, I decided when I got back
I was going to buy a "better looking" nylon bag and give it a try. I bought a $30 (Ross) Baggelini small crossbody bag with lots of zippered compartments.

So far, I love it! So lightweight! Easy access to my phone, a place to put receipts, lipsticks, hand sanitizer, small wallet, etc. So obviously, more functional than "pretty". We'll see how long it holds up but for the price, I can buy several in place of my previously heavier leather bags.

Fair warning...Look away if you're into designer bags :D

IMG_20230727_092835597_HDR.jpg

And as far as shoes go, I wear sandals 10 months out of the year which usually fall in the range of $30 or less. Tennis shoes are
Sketchers so relatively inexpensive.

I'm just not into purses and shoes (if its not obvious!)=)2

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Haha here you go!

6F5101E9-115D-4D2A-A559-587457438FC2.jpeg

Look at dem’ legs! Amazing proportion. No one can wear it like you.

Are those anemones? They’re my fav.

@Neptune I was too late to edit my post - you have an amazing fashion sense, would love to see what you picked out for your wedding!

Geez, that’s a lot of pressure...hehe. Thank you.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Très chic!!!

Pomelo your style never ceases to blow me away

Look at dem’ legs! Amazing proportion. No one can wear it like you.

Are those anemones? They’re my fav.

Geez, that’s a lot of pressure...hehe. Thank you.

Haha thanks guys *looks for a blushing emoji*

I’m 5ft5 but wore 5 inch heels that day so that I could pull it off! Since then, the trousers have been hemmed so I can wear them with much more sensible footwear, which increases how often I reach for them. Since the pandemic, my feet just can’t go back to 3inch+ heels anymore!

Octave

Shiny_Rock
That's about the most amount of money I've ever spent on a non-bling item so far, but I'd happily spend a lot more right away if I finally make it onto the waiting list for a Birkin Croc! :lol:

Hermes in action B30  61.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Outside of a one wear wedding dress which was $1200 and expensive to me (!), I normally don't spend above $100 on clothing or bags. I used to like bags and would buy them and participate on the other forum, and probably spent as much as $2000 at one point. Now... I don't care about bags and honestly buy bags from the clearance section at The Sak and Radley online that are cross body bags under $100 and hold up super well. For shoes, I will go up to about $120ish and greatly value comfort and useful life length above anything else. I like Allbirds a lot and buy them on sale. For flats, I buy Sam Edelman on sale.

The bags I bought that were more expensive literally just sit. I don't feel ike going through the hassle to sell them and I probably have not used them in almost 8 years or more.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before I moved here, I stocked up on shoes, I have small feet and I absolutely refuse to pay full price for them. I think the most expensive pairs I have were about 150 GBP, but I didn’t pay anything like that for them. I’ve spent a few hundred on a handbag, but I just couldn’t justify spending thousands, and I really don’t need anymore bags :lol: (or shoes, or clothes:oops2:)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I recently became obsessed with finding a pair of cute sneaks that I could easily slip on…

Clearly my life is super exciting :lol-2:

E71862F9-1A04-491D-8879-10695F561322.jpeg 35EEB548-BD1D-4CCA-B427-FEA1D1EEB358.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I recently became obsessed with finding a pair of cute sneaks that I could easily slip on…

Clearly my life is super exciting :lol-2:

E71862F9-1A04-491D-8879-10695F561322.jpeg 35EEB548-BD1D-4CCA-B427-FEA1D1EEB358.jpeg

How are those? I like a comfy slip on sneaker.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
How are those? I like a comfy slip on sneaker.
The Kiziks are the most easy to slip on. I really wanted the Vionics to work (the raspberry with pink stripes) but there was weird arch bulge. I ended up keeping the On Running in the pink/orange combo-they are best balance of cute and comfy.

I also tried Hoka, but they had regular laces and weren't that comfortable.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I think around 500 for a coat that will keep me WARM in the Canadian winter, 250 for a pair of shoes that make every joint in my body not hurt... that's about it!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm weird. (and I wouldn't have it any other way.)

The new piano I bought around 20 years ago now lists, new, for about 1/4 mil.
My set of Winsor Newton Series 7 artist watercolor brushes was about 4K.
Half a century ago at 19, right after boot camp, and making just $5K a year when I bought a $1K guitar.

Some decisions that are just crazy for my income.
Our house, in a lovely neighborhood, looks, inside and out, like paupers live here.
I endeavor to NOT kiss anyone's ass, or look good to keep up with the Jonses.
My natural -need-for-social-acceptance-brain-cells' were nuked by Christian oppression back in the 50s and 60s in midwest America because I was a gay boy.
Actually I'm glad, as it freed me to follow my own way.
Cyndi Lauper might say, "He's SO unusual". :lol-2:
One neighbor, a close friend and endearing lady in her 70s, even volunteered to mow my lawn for me.

I've always been a super duper cheapskate.
I haven't taken any kind of vacation for around 30 years, even for a just weekend nearby ... one reason is to not disturb my parrot's routine.
I forgo usual and expected stuff that most people take for granted, that is if they could swing it (like $$$$ cars, domestic help, fancy dumbphone, or a big screen TV) so on the rare occasions that I have a geek-out urge, I can spurge on just a couple of magnificent things.

My tombstone may have an image of of Sinatra and the words, "He did is HIS way." :lol-2:

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's about the most amount of money I've ever spent on a non-bling item so far, but I'd happily spend a lot more right away if I finally make it onto the waiting list for a Birkin Croc! :lol:

Hermes in action B30  61.jpeg

I need this trifecta of luxury to be perched on a gilded chariot rather than a wooden bench! Jkjkjk you have beautiful things and great style.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny this thread should come up after I bought this today:

I am on a bid to be a bit more civilised! I usually use $15 tote bags (they are big and I can fit take away containers and stainless steel straws in them) and now want a bit of a change.

That said the $15 tote bags make my jewellery look like it was purchased from AliExpress which is not necessarily a bad thing!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
i love checking out designer handbags, but I’ve never felt the urge to own one. I usually spend no more than $250 for a purse, and none of mine are any brand name. I do buy only leather though, as it tends to last longer.

Shoes: I have problem feet, so I need good quality. Two different sizes, so sometimes I need to buy two pairs . Usually around $350 per pair.

Winter coats: my last two (one jacket, one long coat) were purchased 30 years ago. I just updated to 2 new ones, same brand, made in Canada, I like to support local when possible. Approx. $800 each, should last the rest of my life. I still have the old ones for bumming around, and the new ones are for best.

Many, many years ago, I made my own wedding dress. $75 for fabric, plus a bit more for trim and accessories.

All prices in CAN $.

Last edited:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the compliment, @monarch64, sometimes it's not even a wooden bench but bare stone. Life can be hard!

IMG_1810.jpeg

this picture is literally perfection! The golden hour light, the water, the shoes (my fav), the hair (bangs!), the model - it's all perfect, seriously!! You are an absolute style icon and i love your grace and humility! I hope I can be as cool as you some day!!!

Octave

Shiny_Rock
this picture is literally perfection! The golden hour light, the water, the shoes (my fav), the hair (bangs!), the model - it's all perfect, seriously!! You are an absolute style icon and i love your grace and humility! I hope I can be as cool as you some day!!!

Thank you so much, @Inked ! If coolness comes with age, I am way cooler than I ever wanted to be! :lol::lol::lol: So just wait a little bit!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Oh geeze... probably my phone? Is that considered a wearable? :lol-2:
I only get a new phone every 4-5 years, and yes, usually get the top line one with the best camera since that is what I primarily use it for. I think I spent $1,300 on my new phone earlier this year.

All the pieces of my Renaissance costume(s) probably add up to somewhere between $1,500-$2k. The most expensive individual piece was $425 I believe.

My KUIU ultra-light hunting pack system is the most expensive wearable I have that gets used regularly. I got it on sale for a little over $400, closer to $460 if I include the rifle sling and side pouch accessories. Helped my Dad debone and haul out a mule deer buck opening weekend, and the weight distribution provided made that hunting pack 110% worth the money I spent.

I cap out around $300 for boots, $200 for shoes/sneakers, and stopped buying purses ages ago (the most I ever spent on one was $400), my free hand me down Osprey backpack works better for my needs and lifestyle anyway. I tend to wear things until they wear out before replacing them, and my $300 leather boots I've been able to re-sole, and probably can 1-2 more times.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
I do like a nice bag but having a dog and living in a 1 stoplight town keep me in check. I think $1600 is the most I have spent to feel comfortable carrying it. I couldn’t take dog drool on a Dior bag! Current faves are Mulberry, Stella McCartney and Pucci.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apart from having formal clothes made for me, I had spent quite a bit on a couple of pens and a leather briefcase when I was climbing the corporate food chain some years ago.

The briefcase had gone (worn and broken), however, I still have the pens.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results