shape
carat
color
clarity

What’s the most amount of money you’d spend on a non-bling wearable item? Eg - handbag, shoes, scarf, clothes etc.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I have 9 Chanel bags - the most expensive was 8,000. Favorite Chanel bag is the 2005 Anniversary Flap bag. I have 1 Hermes - I think that was around 5,000. Gucci - 3 bags, the most expensive was around 3500. Gucci belt, 400. Various Gucci keychains and card holders. YSL vintage straw bag was about 300.00 Chanel wallet - can't remember.
Hermes scarves - I collect Kermit Oliver versions only (Texas artist) Louis Vuitton travel bags - I have 4 - 3 bought on Fashiophile, 1 in the store. Lately I'm loving Strathberry bags, great quality. Most expensive shoes were Stuart Weitzman 50/50 boots - love them, bought 3 pr. I do not buy expensive clothes though. I buy mostly from Nordstrom, nothing high designer. So all this said, lately I've boxed up my expensive bags. I don't feel comfortable wearing them out daily, too much crime.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clothes-- Generally inexpensive. Think Marshall's and T J Maxx. Good quality and lower price. I've never cared about fashion. I wear my clothes for years.
Outerwear-- pricier. Think L.L.Bean and Lands End. I wear them for years and years.
Shoes-- I've had problem feet all my life. I prioritize comfort and support. Think S.A.S. shoes and sandals, and Nike runners. Still under $200 per pair (so far) but if price goes up I'll still buy what I need.
Purses-- under $50. I like Lily Bloom bags-- they have colorful, fun prints, have lots of compartments, and are very lightweight when empty (made from recyled water bottles). They are even hand washable!
Silk scarves-- I love these! I always have one around my neck in winter, even indoors. Mostly I find them serendipitously at Goodwill and consignment shops. Once I bought a Marc Chagall print scarf from a museum gift shop when they had a sale.
Perfume-- my main splurge. I have a huge perfume wardrobe. Prices range from very cheap to $300 per bottle.
Jewelry-- I've really cut back now that we are on a retirement budget. Mostly I'm enjoying what I already own, although I just made myself a necklace and some earrings last week using supplies I already had on hand.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Shoes $200 (though I will splurge on occasion for Cydwoq or Chie Mihara), bags $200, clothing $300-ish, with some wiggle room for outerwear. I live a pretty casual existence. I'm in sneakers or Birks most of the time. :lol-2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was gifted a lovely chanel bag, bit I feel like it's too expensive for me to use it haha. I bought a pre loved chanel card holder/wristlet that i use every day as my wallet, so the fact that it was 2nd hand and daily use makes it feel more justified. For purses I buy myself, probably 150 max since I don't use them often.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely spend a lot on no-bling items. I like everything. VCA is my primary focus now but my first love has always been handbags. My max on handbags is around 15k as I prefer Chanel bags and lately I’ve been acquiring mini exotics by Dior and Fendi which are expensive. Shoes and boots max is 2k. Can’t have great bags and bad cheap shoes. I live in Midwest so coats always are priority. Max I have spent on non fur coat is 6k. Clothing I spend middle of road on classic blazers and staple pieces in mid range designers like Veronica Beard and such. I will splurge on designer rtw if piece is classic enough. I tell DH it’s expensive being a girl lol

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@missy ya to the winter coat thingie. I require warmth and that ain't cheap. One of my favorite designer shops closed their doors and I bought all of the coats they had left in stock (French made, cashmere, etc, etc). Best $$ spent. And I also like and need technical fabrics due to our array of weather--sadly not cheap either. But they last forever.

While I no longer buy Prada and Vivier shoes, I wear the ones I have and they are as chic as ever. I like Ferragamo because they fit so well. I tried a pair of Bottega sandals on this spring--but I just couldn't justify the price. But goodness they were break your heart gorgeous!!

I have a Hermes Classic Kelly wallet--that is about as high as I want to go with accessories. My OLD Vuitton is my workhorse. Not planning to replace that anytime soon. But never say never to getting a different brand.....LOL (I've got my eye on something)

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idk that I have a limit per piece…I’ve managed to end up with a collection of LV luggage and handbags over the past year or so and then I have my Longchamp le pliage workhorses in a few styles and colors for travel and day to day. Pretty big price difference but I like that you can origami Longchamp for storage and it’s very durable. Recently picked up a Goyard Saint Louis GM and I’m really impressed with it. I’ve taken it to the beach, on boats, and banged it around daily and it’s still in perfect condition. I’ll probably keep that one forever.

Shoes and belts…I’m not really a shoe girlie but I’ll spend a few hundred on a pair I really like. I’m tall and do NOT have tiny feet so a lot of beautiful designer shoes run too narrow for me or just don’t look as pretty in my size as they do on someone with a size 7 or smaller foot. Belts…no Gucci for me, but I do have a Moschino that I love, think it was a couple hundred, don’t remember.

The last two pieces of jewelry I bought are VCA. That’s a costly road to go down but worth it. Oddly enough I look at Cartier pieces from time to time and can’t justify the prices which is ridiculous as they’re similar. I think the idea of being locked into a bracelet as one of their most iconic pieces just rubs me the wrong way enough to keep me from buying anything. I wouldn’t turn down a piece if someone else was buying, though. Haha

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wonder if there’s a trend for people who collect designer/branded handbags to also mostly buy designer/branded jewelry. I say this because over there, it seems like branded jewelry gets much more traction than unbranded. Whereas over here, where unbranded bling tends to outweigh the branded stuff for most people, we have fewer consumers of other branded wearable goods, like clothes, shoes, bags etc.

I definitely think that’s true. Branding across the board, from homes to vehicles to personal
accessories. And even within the branded pieces that are chosen - I feel like IYKYK is at an all-time high right now… People choosing less-visible and less-recognizable pieces even within the ranks of the branded…

I think there’s probably a happy middle ground between the two fora. Lots of regulars on the other forum seem to limit themselves to branded goods - which is just so sad, that they’re missing out on so much custom creativity! But sometimes the anti-branding sentiment here gets painfully vitriolic, and the other forum has no patience whatsoever for intellectual property theft.

I’ve been a member here for fourteen years. Ten on there but I rarely post. The branded pieces threads on PS are my favourite communities these days - familiar faces plus similar perspectives and mores. Well, those and Ally’s renovation thread - that one I’m just there for the lookie-loos :love:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To actually answer the original topic - most of my clothing has a finely-woven overlay of fur. It’s the most expensive fur I’ve ever encountered - sable, mink, chinchilla, ermine, none hold a candle to my fur overlays. I couldn’t begin to tally up the tens of thousands I’ve spent on this fur over the years. Sadly its resale is exceedingly low :lol:

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I also wonder if there’s a trend for people who collect designer/branded handbags to also mostly buy designer/branded jewelry. I say this because over there, it seems like branded jewelry gets much more traction than unbranded. Whereas over here, where unbranded bling tends to outweigh the branded stuff for most people, we have fewer consumers of other branded wearable goods, like clothes, shoes, bags etc.

I have been active on other forum for over 12 years and it’s not a trend per se as it’s mostly a handbag lovers crowd who tend to prefer branded handbags and all branded items. It’s always been that way. Most don’t have extensive bling /gemstone jewelry collections like this forum as it’s not really their thing. Just like this forum is all about bling and very unbranded centric.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oops I forgot about my winter coats. Unfortunately their price has gone up quite a bit during the pandemic. Used to pay 1500$ for them and now they are over 2K. I like having them in various colors but am pretty set now for my warmest winter coats and have 6 of the same brand in different colors. They are my warmest coats and I wear them all winter long so again cost per wear makes the cost worth it for me

I’m just curious- what kind of coat? I live in TX lol so just asking out of genuine curiosity! I never thought a coat for warmth would cost that much (when I imagine for warmth I envision rugged brands like Northface or Salomon).

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To actually answer the original topic - most of my clothing has a finely-woven overlay of fur. It’s the most expensive fur I’ve ever encountered - sable, mink, chinchilla, ermine, none hold a candle to my fur overlays. I couldn’t begin to tally up the tens of thousands I’ve spent on this fur over the years. Sadly its resale is exceedingly low :lol:

347603948_672849364888264_4576441873701035571_n.jpg

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Oops I forgot about my winter coats. Unfortunately their price has gone up quite a bit during the pandemic. Used to pay 1500$ for them and now they are over 2K. I like having them in various colors but am pretty set now for my warmest winter coats and have 6 of the same brand in different colors. They are my warmest coats and I wear them all winter long so again cost per wear makes the cost worth it for me

If you don't mind sharing, what coats do you find the warmest? After bling and bags, outerwear is my next favorite habit because it can get well into negative windchills here and I hate being cold, so I'm always curious about new brands.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh winter clothes can get crazy expensive! Northface jackets are pricey but worth it. And if it's really cold then marmot or the Canadian brand I always forget the name of. Both were needed when I lived on the east coast. Plus ll bean boots kept my feet from freezing :)

Edit. Canada goose is the name!

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve seen this too, and it fascinates me.

Seems like the other forum has the extremes, more than PS. There is some genuine and staggering wealth there. “Old money”. Much more than here. And there are also more young women who blow their full paychecks on purses than we’ll ever get here.

What is this other site you speak of?! Now I want to lurk!!

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
I don’t carry a purse. Just my wallet, keys, phone. I typically like coach or Michael Kors wallets. So you’re talking about $100-$250. I have a LV pouchette but I never use it. I don't care too much for shoes but I’m on my feet all day for work so New Balance or Sketchers, no more than $100, maybe one pair of cheap $30 black heels for dressing up. I’m a jeans and t shirt or blouse type girl. I mostly shop at TJ Max for tops. Up to $40 if I’m in love with it.

Now I can not be cheap with my pants. I need good quality pants because my body shape is big hips smaller waist but regardless of how much I spend on jeans. my thighs ruin every pair, $60 each. Some of you may feel my pain on that. Bras are another thing I can’t be cheap about. I spend $65-100 per bra. mainly because I’m a 36 ( past a triple D) And I need quality bras. Makeup, I like expensive brands but always looking to snag a deal. You’ll almost never see any drug store makeup or skin care on my face. Ipsy and TJ max helps with that as well.

Last edited:

empliau

Shiny_Rock
If you don't mind sharing, what coats do you find the warmest? After bling and bags, outerwear is my next favorite habit because it can get well into negative windchills here and I hate being cold, so I'm always curious about new brands.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll chip in - I moved (years ago) from a warm climate to a cold one, and I *hate* cold despite having grown up in it. I have found vintage long shearling coats the warmest (short of fur), and vintage wool coats are IMHO better made and warmer than any new ones that I can find/afford. I did miss out on a vintage hooded shearling that I'll regret forever, because even with hats and scarves the wind always gets my neck! And I like vintage because it's relatively sustainable.

Octave

Shiny_Rock
II think it's quite normal that when you spend (hundreds of) thousands of dollars on jewelry you'll also shell out a little more money for bags and shoes. However, I seem to have a limit on that: Never less than five thousand dollars for a bag! :lol-2::evil2:

II think it's quite normal that when you spend (hundreds of) thousands of dollars on jewelry you'll also shell out a little more money for bags and shoes. However, I seem to have a limit on that: Never less than five thousand dollars for a bag! :lol-2::evil2:

Omg I’d love to hear more about your bag collection - what’s your favourite bag of the ones you own??

Octave

Shiny_Rock
Omg I’d love to hear more about your bag collection - what’s your favourite bag of the ones you own??

Oh my gosh, this keeps changing, usually it's the last one I was in the mood for. In this case it was this Birkin 25 in orange. But soon comes the next and then this will probably be the favorite bag until .......

IMG_0818.jpeg

Oh my gosh, this keeps changing, usually it's the last one I was in the mood for. In this case it was this Birkin 25 in orange. But soon comes the next and then this will probably be the favorite bag until .......

IMG_0818.jpeg

This is stunning!! I don’t own a single Hermes bag because they are super expensive and I don’t know that I want to spend that much - but if I ever bought an Hermes, it would be exactly this one. I adore the orange colour, the GHW, the size - and Birkin > Kelly > Constance for me (the others I am not a fan of). Absolutely perfect.

I think my favourite would be my LV Petit Malle - one of the first really expensive (I think it was around $4500 when I bought it?) bags I purchased and one that I really debated over for AGES. Before that I had only bought bags 2500 and under. I always get compliments when I carry that bag!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
This is an interesting topic and good to hear different perspectives.

For me, there isn't an upper dollar value per se - it's about cost per wear and value!

Over time, that dollar value has increased but that's because I've shifted from wanting to collect everything (different colours, different shapes) to a single, much-loved item; as I get older, it's a natural evolution of my personal style and knowing what I like. For example, I've sold / donated most of my mid-range cross-body bags and replaced that with one (pre-loved) black Chanel mini.

I've found that my favourite and most used items are those that (1) I winced at the price and most importantly (2) thought about the item for at least a couple of days before making the purchase. This guards against impulse purchases which I always regret, but also means I'm usually buying the best I can at that moment in time - and ensures I reach for that item.

The one thing I don't like spending money on is occasion wear - wearing something expensive only once or twice doesn't sit with my cost per wear ethos :geek2: When I got married, I wore a white pantsuit where I owned the jacket already, and only needed a pair of white trousers.

Octave

Shiny_Rock
This is stunning!! I don’t own a single Hermes bag because they are super expensive and I don’t know that I want to spend that much - but if I ever bought an Hermes, it would be exactly this one. I adore the orange colour, the GHW, the size - and Birkin > Kelly > Constance for me (the others I am not a fan of). Absolutely perfect.

I think my favourite would be my LV Petit Malle - one of the first really expensive (I think it was around $4500 when I bought it?) bags I purchased and one that I really debated over for AGES. Before that I had only bought bags 2500 and under. I always get compliments when I carry that bag!

Yes, that's exactly why we do this - to get compliments, right? I only have one bag from LV (Capucines), the rest of my collection is mostly Hermes and a few more from Bottega Veneta. What I like about Hermes (at least the Kelly's and Birkin's) and also BV is that the brand is not so much in the foreground. Those who know about bags know what it is, and for everyone else it's just a normal bag.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that's exactly why we do this - to get compliments, right? I only have one bag from LV (Capucines), the rest of my collection is mostly Hermes and a few more from Bottega Veneta. What I like about Hermes (at least the Kelly's and Birkin's) and also BV is that the brand is not so much in the foreground. Those who know about bags know what it is, and for everyone else it's just a normal bag.

Now you know I’m going to need to see your bag collection as I love your jewelry taste. I will go to the other forum and look for them.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock

The Petit Malle is a great bag. Such a classic yet can work from day to night.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results