shape
carat
color
clarity

Weird Names for Kids

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
My friend''s mother worked with a man named, get this: JIM SHORTS. Yes. His parents called him Jim.

everlong_x

Shiny_Rock
Working for Girl Scouts, I see a LOT of strange names. One that I will never forget was Sigourney Weaver. Seriously.

I don''t know if it was a joke or not, but that poor kid wlll have to grow up with a LOT of jokes about her name.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Ha These are funny...

FI knows a girl who named her son Killian Capri... after a beer and a cigarette! Cute name, but still...

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I have come across some strange names whislt working in schools and other child care settings.

Some being:

Twilight (girl)
Malachi and Bracken (twins, boy and girl respectively)
Pagan (above twin's older sister)
Berin (boy)
Nino and Blaze (brothers)
Shakira (I mean..WHY???? No doubt named after the singer)
Ryleigh (girl)
Ash-Lea (girl)

Also, on the subject of the name Ashley...

In the UK that is actually a common boys name. We hear it much less in girls, and when it is a girl's name is is usually spelled ASHLEIGH.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Haha, on the guys with girls names/girls with guys names I know a girl named Ryan (totally threw me for a loop) and my BF has a family name that happens to be a girls name (not a very popular one). It''s kind of funny actually. It''s his dad''s middle name, and his aunt''s first name.

On odd names...I do know a William Williams. I also knew a guy named Ben Hurh and an Elizabeth Bennet (who was, of course, obsessed with Jane Austen).

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I recently ran into someone I went to HS with, and he has a son named Alexandre and he has a daughter on the way called... Alexandra. Nothing wrong with these names, but Alexandre and Alexandra? C''mon, I''m sure choosing a name is difficult, and too much originality can make things pretty bad for a child, but a little originality can''t hurt, can it?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I know of a twin boy and girl...

girl- Victoria
boy- Beckem

20.gif

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
The weirdest names I''ve ever seen were 2 little girls. Their names are: Gentle and Touches.
WTH were their parents thinking?!

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I also work in HR and over the years I''ve had the pleasure of:

Carol Christmas
Justin Time
Dick Tough
Danny Invinsible
Donald McDonald
Peter Peterson
Christopher Darling

I''m sure I''ve had stranger ones but the old mind is goin

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
I went to an all girls high school. One girl, a couple grades below me was named Michael (TOTALLY threw me every time I heard her name) and another girl was name Gary.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Brezzy - (pronounced Bree''zy)
Chris Christmas
BJ Strange (girl)
Lindsey Lindsay
Laura Lorinitis
Twins Brandy and Tequila
Dick Smothers
Joe Roe
Charlie Brown
Louis Vatton
Mia Son (girl, not Asian)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I forgot about Charlie Brown! My DH had a teacher by that name - who is only about 40 mins away from you, Starset, so I wonder if he's the same one. :)

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 9:12:43 AM
Author: merrymunky
I have come across some strange names whislt working in schools and other child care settings.

Some being:

Twilight (girl)
Malachi and Bracken (twins, boy and girl respectively)
Pagan (above twin''s older sister)
Berin (boy)
Nino and Blaze (brothers)
Shakira (I mean..WHY???? No doubt named after the singer)
Ryleigh (girl)
Ash-Lea (girl)

Also, on the subject of the name Ashley...

In the UK that is actually a common boys name. We hear it much less in girls, and when it is a girl''s name is is usually spelled ASHLEIGH.

Wow those are some funky names, especially the Pagan and Malachi combo, but can you explain why you thought Ryleigh is weird for a girl? I don''t understand that one since Riley is a rather popular name in the US, as far as I know. Is it because it was for a girl? The spelling? But if Ashleigh is the more common spelling for girls for Ashley, then ...?
33.gif

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 6:58:05 PM
Author: onvacation

Wow those are some funky names, especially the Pagan and Malachi combo, but can you explain why you thought Ryleigh is weird for a girl? I don''t understand that one since Riley is a rather popular name in the US, as far as I know. Is it because it was for a girl? The spelling? But if Ashleigh is the more common spelling for girls for Ashley, then ...?
33.gif

Ryleigh for a girl - It is because I have only ever come across boys called Riley here in the UK. I actually really like the Ryleigh way for a girl. A more unique slant on the name. I think maybe the mother took inspiration from the female spelling of Ashleigh here for her choice of name?! In any case...I like it!

Oh, while I remember, my FI''s manager is called Kelly (male) I know of a couple of male Kellys. Not very common here at all though.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know this thread is sort of old, but I had to add my friend''s evil plan to give her kids names that sound like speech impediments... her favorites are:

Thuthan (Susan)
Kewwy (Kelly)
Thebathtian (Sebastian)
Wachel (Rachel)

And of course my other friend who is a seafood enthusiast, and wants to name her children Lobster and Scallop.

Good thing these women are nowhere near having children.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I went to school with a girl named Earthling.
I know a Joey Joseph. He has three other brothers, all with normal names, so I have no idea why his parents would do that to him.
There used to be a politician in New Hampshire named Dick Swett. Really? Just go by Richard...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to school with Jayne Jayne Jayne and Hugo Fogo. Yesterday I met a very young girl who just had a baby Jezebel and if it was a boy would have been Lucifer. ( What was she thinking?) I also know a Pai (boy) and Kai (Boy)
Do people give much thought to what happens when their kids go to school????

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 1:46:35 PM
Author: AprilBaby
I also know a Pai (boy) and Kai (Boy)
Wait, why are those weird?

Maybe pai=pie? But I don't get Kai at all...

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I went to school with a guy called Oinsin Sylvester Purtell (Oinsin pronounced inch-in) Oinsin is a fairly common name here in Ireland, but the whole thing together, in combination with flaming red hair, was pretty unusual! I was also visiting a town in Bavaria last year during the run-up to the local elections. The candiate for mayor was one Max Wank. And one candidate for city council was Hans Bushweiser!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 1:46:35 PM
Author: AprilBaby
Do people give much thought to what happens when their kids go to school????
Kids can go by nicknames. In both of my kids'' classes, forms are filled out where the parent can indicate they want their child go by another name. Of course, a Kindergartener may not be able to fill out that form, but as the kid grows older, they can talk to the teacher/school about it (and one Kindergartener in my younger son''s class writes a different name on his paper than what his name is listed on all documentation - it''s just as if the kid decided to have another name! I think it''s because the parents named him after an alcoholic beverage and the kid knew something was up.). I volunteer in the school and know of three kids in my kids'' classes that chose to go by different names.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Tequilla Rose. Beautiful infant baby girl named Tequilla Rose!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just found out my new neighbor''s name is Kurt, his twin brother is Kurtis. WTH??

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
A lady at my daughters nursery has two children -

George and Cluny (pronounced exactly how you think!)

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 3:41:44 PM
Author: Lottie UK
A lady at my daughters nursery has two children -

George and Cluny (pronounced exactly how you think!)
Gee, wonder who her celeb crush is????

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
My former neighbours daughters were named Melody and Twinkle!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I have three. In high school there was a boy whose name was Cannon Manly. And there was another whose first name was Doctor, literally, I saw it on his paperwork for the yearbook. We also had a boy in my class whose name was Gladstone. It was a family name. But geez

Well, these are names that BF wanted for our kids names (when we have them!). And if I offend anyone, sorry, but they are just not my style. (sorry if I spell them incorrectly too)

Faustina (nickname could be faucet water)
Octavian (jeez)
Drucilla (the puppy killer!)

The only one that he liked that I liked was Atticus.

38.gif

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
i joked with my parents if i had triplet''s, i would name them (or their middle names)
Hewie
Lewie
Dewie (Dewy)

yes, i did watch way to many cartoons growing up!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
We have a friend who legally changed his name to Guybrush. Apparently, it was a childhood nickname that stuck and he decided to go with it - legally!!! lol.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a family dog named Killian, but she''s a pretty little girl. :)
I just really love the word, not the beer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results