shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 24th Dec till 30th Dec

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, how was your stew?? It sounded so yummy.

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Linda, the stew is fab, thanks for asking!!! I love stew on cold days and after a good walk.

Kimi and Rod, thank you for the hugs and thoughts dearest friends
emrose.gif

Rod, glad you had a great weekend!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad and nephew got snowed in at a town 50 miles away. I am kind of worried about my mom being alone. She had really high blood pressure this morning and a headache. She was sick to her stomach. Her blood pressure is down now but still pretty high. I thought of going over to spend the night with her but she says she is feeling better and is not having any problem walking, standing and none of her limbs feel funny. I looked up symptoms of a stroke and nausea wasn’t listed so I hope she is just sick.
Rod, all the flavors of yogurt sound great but I always head for chocolate for my treats. I’m glad to hear you plan on sneaking off work early tomorrow. I might take a short lunch and see if I can get out a little early. We are expecting a high of 18 with wind so it’s going to be chilly out there. Yeah for the gym being open on New Year’s Day. You’ll probably have the place to yourselves.
Kimi, I am glad you are feeling a little bit better. It’s nice J is taking such great care of you. I’d love to get an A4 but my husband is too tall for it. When we bought our A6 I didn’t “fit” in the seat but I fit it in great now. I was setting in a red A4 convertible the last time I had my car in for an oil change and I loved every minute of it. The A6 is very roomy in the back seat so I am sure a carseat will fit in it with no problem.
Hi Linda and Skippy!
Sleep well everyone and have a great Monday. One day left in 2007.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
OK, it''s officiallly the 31st here on the East Coast so I know this thread will be caput soon, but I was lying in bed composing this message in my head so I decided to hop out and put the pen to the paper, so to speak. I''ll repost on the new thread if it seems this gets overlooked.

Marcyc, your look back a year ago is so inspirational. No Christmas present could compare with what you''ve accomplished (except new clothes for a new body are always appreciated
31.gif
). I love the new collage!

SDL, welcome and kudos to you for making a healthy start to the new year.

Mara, I like the idea of intuitive eating. I think that as long as you''re not letting your blood sugar go haywire, thus making you think your body is telling you to shovel crap into your mouth all the time, then you should trust your body when you have that sweet or salty or what have you craving.

Monarch, I hope your DH feels better now!

Rod, I love hearing your mouth-watering descriptions of the great food you eat, except for when it causes me hunger.
2.gif

TanDogMom, ew, onion rings on the taco?

Jas, I am very impressed at 3 hours on the bike. You go girl!

Deejay, good work on going to the gym so much!

Steph, with your detox plan I''m sure the 7 lbs. will be history soon.

Skippy, I''m so sorry to hear about your aunt and the other deaths in your family this year. Please take time for yourself and know that I''m thinking about you.

Kimberly, I hope you feel better soon!

OK, whew, that''s what I get for being away from here for so long.

I seem to have done ok this holiday. I returned home today after being away for 10 days, and haven''t gained any weight. I did the Firm 3 x while I was gone (plus today), and I jogged twice. Not as much exercise as I''d normally like to get, but I was in DisneyWorld for 2 nights as well and didn''t exercise there. I never took an escalator or people-mover when possible, which helped keep me energized. My feet did hurt at the end of the day after standing in line and walking all day (now I understand why so many out-of-shape people who don''t appear to use wheelchairs normally rent those scooters at DW), but I definitely felt better than I did when I went as a teenager.

Food-wise, well, it wasn''t the best of times, but it wasn''t the worst of times. I really only regretted a piece of grocery-store freezer section pumpkin pie because I ate it just because it was handed to me. I didn''t regret the many yummy chocolates, or the unusual number of steaks, or the yummy turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy, or the chocolates . . . did I mention the chocolates? I didn''t regret those things because I chose to eat them when I was hungry, and I ate a reasonable amount, and relatively speaking I made healthy choices for the most part. But I really regretted that pie because I didn''t want it, and it was kind of gross, so it was just extra calories for no reason.

Enough about me, on to the real reason I came on here:

Anyway, here''s why I popped out of bed 25 minutes ago. I saw a childhood friend over the holiday. When we hit puberty, she definitely gained some flab, but in a Renoir kind of way . . . curvy is the right word, I guess. In college she began losing weight (45 pounds total to date). Later she was diagnosed with a chronic autoimmune disease. She and her family members are all very smart health professionals, so she has a rational understanding of what she is doing to her body.

We got to talking about how we hoped we didn''t gain holiday weight and what workouts we liked to do. Then she just kept talking . . . about how she hasn''t gotten her period in months, and how her BMI is below normal (something below 18.5) and her family wants her to gain five pounds, and how she got sick last month and lost all her muscle so now her bones stick out of her chest. Whereas I gained 25 pounds and still didn''t fill out my A cup bra, she definitely used to be endowed and now looks like me. Before I realized that she might have a problem I mentioned that my general approach is to eat strictly during the day, maybe 1000 to 1200 calories before dinner, so I can just eat whatever I want for dinner, maybe another 1000 calories with wine and dessert. She said, oh, she realized that she sometimes "accidentally" only ate 1000 calories in a day, and I shared my genuine reaction: "On no! That''s horrible!"

The worst part was when she told me about a friend at work. I told her that not getting her period was "biofeedback" that she isn''t eating enough, and she said she knew that, but it was really hard because she had a friend at work who is/was anorexic and is underweight again after having kids. Her friend eats only 600 calories a day!!! and will put a chocolate in her mouth only to spit it out (to which my friend replied that your saliva has already broken down some of the chocolate, implying that her friend should beware of this accidental calorie ingestion). She said that this friend made her feel like she had to be "psycho" too and egged her on to eat as little as possible and that she can''t help counting calories and predeterming her portions all the time. Even after she said she was bony and underweight, she stressed that she would be sure to gain muscle, not fat.

So I''ve been trying to figure out what I can/should do. I know that I''m not responsible for her choices and that I''m not the only one aware of her problem, but I feel that there must be a reason she was so eager to confide in me, even when I expressed shock and horror at what she was telling me.

The last thing I wonder about is the role my friend''s disease might play in all of this. We haven''t been in touch that much since her diagnosis, so I''m not too sure how much it affects her, but I wonder if she is trying to control her body in this way since it might seem out of control in others. But the sad irony is that she needs to be eating a good diet all the more to keep herself healthy.

So I know there''s not much I can do as a once-a-year friend, but I wanted to share this story because it reminded me that health is why we''re here. This is a workout thread, where we emphasize building muscle and keeping our bodies fit and agile. It''s easy to become consumed by numbers, but just as we are avoiding the trap of being sedentary and eating large quantities of crap, so too must we avoid the trap of becoming obsessive-compulsive about eating and exercising.

And if anyone has any experience dealing with eating disorders and insight on how I can be a good friend, that would be great. My friend was so eager to share her story, and I feel like there must be a reason why.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone,

New Year''s tonight will be quiet for Rick and I. I am still battling this awful bronchitis. ICK.
14.gif

Hi back at ya Marcy. Hi Skippy, Kimi, how are you feeling? Better I hope?

Love to you all.

Linda

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to peek my head in here to wish some of my most favorite peeps a Happy, Happy New Year! I will think of you all as I raise my glass to ring in the new year.

I hope everyone has fun tonight, whatever you do. And please, stay safe.
kiss.gif

See ya next year!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2007 2:58:57 PM
Author: Linda W
Hi Everyone,

New Year''s tonight will be quiet for Rick and I. I am still battling this awful bronchitis. ICK.
14.gif
I assume you''ll be toasting with Nyquil?
40.gif
9.gif

I''m so sorry you''re still sick. I am just now done coughing myself.
20.gif
No fun.

Take care dearie!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
And the same to you Sweet Ellen. We love ya.

Linda

BurqueTurkey

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/31/2007 12:34:10 AM
Author: marcyc
My dad and nephew got snowed in at a town 50 miles away. I am kind of worried about my mom being alone. She had really high blood pressure this morning and a headache. She was sick to her stomach. Her blood pressure is down now but still pretty high. I thought of going over to spend the night with her but she says she is feeling better and is not having any problem walking, standing and none of her limbs feel funny. I looked up symptoms of a stroke and nausea wasn’t listed so I hope she is just sick.

Usually just a lurker on this thread, and I don''t want this come across as alarmist Marcy. If possible maybe your Mom could get checked out. We recently lost my wonderful MIL due to a major stroke. Reading your Mom''s symptoms brought a flashback. I hope she is feeling better.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BT, I had a sleepless night worrying about her. She took her BP before she went to bed and said it was lower but didn''t tell me what is was. She didn''t seem confused and could walk and stand so I decided to rely on her calling me if she needed help. I had the phone by the bed and called her first thing this morning. She is feeling better but still not well. She has a doctor''s appointment Wednesday. My dad got home about 9 a.m. this morning so someone is with her. Thanks for your concern; I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results