shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 16th April till 22nd April

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
hi all,

just wanted to check in and say i''m still plugging along with my exercise and healthy eating. i have been eating out so much this week (dinner for the last 2 nights, plus both nights this weekend, and i have to go out for a business lunch today) and i don''t like it as it''s so much harder to really know what you''re eating, but i have been making healthy choices. i am going to be in san francisco for a conference for a week in early may, and i''m really dreading having to eat out for all three meals that whole week. don''t get me wrong, i love going out to restaurants, but i usually only do it for 2-3 meals a week! i like being more in control and aware of my food choices the rest of the time, and being able to substitute healthy homemade versions rather than the fatty restaurant stuff.

dj, keeping my fingers crossed for your stress test today.

monarch, congrats on almost 9 weeks smoke free - such an amazing accomplishment and investment in your health!

kimberly, i agree with the others who say to trust your gut. i''m sure you and john will come to a mutual understanding about it.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2007 9:42:52 AM
Author: KimberlyH
Morning All,

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts and encouragement. I am feeling like a horrible wife at the moment as John thought this was a done deal, that we just needed to pick a neighborhood. He was really excited about moving his business to a city with a lot more potential and I''m sick about telling him I don''t think I can do this, and I''m sick about the idea of moving here.
7.gif
I''ve moved 4 times in 5 years and I am ready to call somewhere home, and I''ll miss my family and I love CA, and...

We had a wonderful evening. We went to Everest for dinner and saw The Color Purple...a great way to get my mind off of things, but I woke up upset again this morning.

DeeJay, I''ll be thinking about you today.

Mara, glad you found a pizza place to eat at!

Have a great day all.

~K
All really good reasons why you have to tell John this won''t work. Moving so many times can be just awfully stressful and when you comment how the thought of moving there makes you sick and you love California and you''ll miss your family, well Dear Kimberly, those are all really poweful reasons and you just have to trust your gut that now''s not the time for you to move a sixth time and so far from your cofort zone. Boy, if I learned anything from my saga it''s trust your gut, trust your gut, trust your gut. Plus, consider what danger you could put your marriage in if you moved somewhere and you were miserable. Relationships are hard enough without major stress. Trust me on that one too. Charlie and I had some difficult moments while we were in Raleigh. That''s all I needed was to have a miserable job, live in a place I didn''t love and have my nearly 30 year relationship fall apart. So, again......TRUST YOUR GUT. John will understand.

Relax now, enjoy the rest of your stay and be honest and straight up with John.

Your friend...........Rod

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 10:17:59 AM
Author: Rod
Mara, we thought the fact there was not one five star hotel was odd too. When we went on the househunting weekend from Tampa, they put us up at the Sheraton downtown. It's OK, but not up to the standards we are accustomed to. Then we went walking around the area where the Sheraton is (they are building a new convention center next door), there were like all thes bail bondsman offices. I know downtown is the Capital, but we thought it odd and somewhat dingy that there were all these bondsman offices. They are building a Renaissance Hotel at North Hills (where Mura and Golds Gym is), but it's like two years from opening as they're just now pouring the footers. Otherwise, there wasn't much in the way of really nice hotels at all. When you talk about walking downtown for dinner and then walking home, it's the kind of life we want. That kind of life will be pretty hard if not impossible to recreate in Raleigh.

ETA: I just got my first opportunit to interview for a job in Tampa. WOO HOO. It sounds interesting. It's with a medical staffing company and they're looking for someone to build a contract staffing arm for them. They know I don't know the medical world, but they haven't run into anyone who has as much contract staffing experience as me, so maybe it will be a good opportunity to do something I know and learn something I don't. We're getting together Tuesday morning. Could be interesting.
YEAH!!! Crossing my fingers it is the joy you want and that you get it!!!

KimberlyH, don't worry about disappoint your hubby. I think it is good you discovered your feelings now.

Okay I am going on a long walk now
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim, I agree. Better you took this trip and found out how you feel, than thinking it''s what you wanted and actually moving there. Don''t be sad, be glad.
2.gif

DeeJay, waiting to hear!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, I see your cute posts, but are you exercising? LOL! I usually see people post about eating/exercise. Just curious my dear? Thanks for cheering us on!!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 10:56:59 AM
Author: Skippy123
Ellen, I see your cute posts, but are you exercising? LOL! I usually see people post about eating/exercise. Just curious my dear? Thanks for cheering us on!!!!
What? You mean reading about you all isn''t enough?
6.gif

9.gif
I watch what I eat and walk 4-5 mornings a week. There, that better?

stick out tongue.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 11:08:06 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 4/19/2007 10:56:59 AM
What? You mean reading about you all isn't enough?
6.gif

9.gif
I watch what I eat and walk 4-5 mornings a week. There, that better?
It probably doesn't matter, but I thought I would ask. heehee

yeah for you!!!! that is awesome.
9.gif
I like the little guy sticking out his tongue (I deserve it) hehee.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 11:12:16 AM
It probably doesn''t matter, but I thought I would ask. heehee

yeah for you!!!! that is awesome.
9.gif
I like the little guy sticking out his tongue (I deserve it) hehee.
Me too, thanks for allowing me to finally use it.
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
rod so between the marriott and the sheraton which do you think you''d recommend? the pictures online make the sheraton look a little nicer. but we won''t plan to live inside of the raleigh most likely, we just want a nice hotel that is easy to get in and out of while we drive around and check things out. if we moved to raleigh, our lifestyle would most likely not be as it is now, aka walking downtown in a metropolitan area...we''d be more suburbs most likely since one of the only reasons to move out of here would be if we wanted a family and cheaper cost of living. but anyway yeah the whole search for a hotel has kind of made me go hmm about raleigh. not like i was expecting 12 5 star hotels or anything but what abut at least a real 4 star hotel? it just surprised me. anyway congrats on the first job interview, good luck with it!

breakfast this morning was optimum waffles with strawberries, sf syrup and coffee..yummy. i brought a 0% fage, pear and canteloupe for snacks, and also some of my 100 cal pack cookies and stuff to keep in my drawers as well along with my 100 cal balance bars. for dinner i got us some crab stuffed portabello mushroom caps (huge) at WF yesterday, they look so yummy...we''ll have those with brown rice and a strawberry salad most likely.

monarch thanks so much for your sweet words, you are too cute. lol i love the ''perserverence''...my darling hubby calls it stubborn. hehe. hang in there with everything you are going through...at least you are able to eat whatever you want with no repurcussions...hehe. i would be scared too but you will be just fine and come out the other end even better and happier for doing it. kudos woman. and yes congrats on 9 weeks smoke free, that is so fab!

it''s supposed to rain today which is a drag and doesn''t bode well for my afternoon walk to my mom''s house to pick up portia...so i might have to go to the gym instead and do something, unless maybe i can go home and try out my pilates tape or something. we''ll have to see how the day shapes up. if i can get in 2 short walks today during rain breaks i might be able to just go home and do some conditioning with light weights and jacks and call it a day.

oh and random note...i bought these cute wide legged trouser jeans at loehmanns last dec...they were super cute on but kind of tight around the waist and hips..i wore them a few times but i ended up falling in love with my paiges and breaking those in so these have kind of sat around. so i decided to wear them today and lo and behold the waist and hips are not even tight at all anymore..whee!! they fit perfectly now and even a bit loose around the waist but perfect on the hips and butt. and the thighs were kind of ''at the limit'' before where there was just enough material for my legs kinda thing but now i have like an inch of material on each side of the thigh...fabulous...and i am so jazzed i found them in my closet today haha. so yay for continued clothes progress.

have a great day everyone and kimberly, try to enjoy the trip and go with your gut.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
whew, so i am back from my lunch and survived with minimal damage to today''s calorie count! i got a mixed green salad with vinagrette that had gingered carrots and a hard boiled egg on it and was served with a baguette slice topped with broiled herbed goat cheese (yum!!). i''ve estimated the total calories were around 425, so a bit higher than my typical lunches, but not too horrific for a restaurant meal. still leaves me plenty of room for a snack and dinner later.

i''m planning to hit up the elliptical after work, and will probably sneak out this afternoon for a brief walk with a coworker, since it''s sunny and beautiful here today.

have a good one!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am managing some workouts, thought I would pop in for a moment. Monnie thanks for your kind words and you are INCREDIBLE with the non smoking, I knew you could do it - HOORAY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
emotion-19.gif

I know you had your teefs done, but how about a new fragrance purchase? You deserve it.

Kim I am thinking of you, it will be ok.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I''m happy to report that whatever might be wrong with me it''s definitely not my heart. I had a grand ''ol time doing the stress test (hey, I''ll take a medically supervised calorie burn any day!). The bad news is that the next step is the radioactive dye CT scan, which freaks me out because of the IV (which someone told me they actually put in your HAND, not even in your elbow) so I''m now totally stressing about that because I HATE needles...

On the food front I''ve been pretty good for the past few days and I should be today too, although I was starving by the time I got done with the test so I was glad that I had half a peanut butter sandwich with me.

Not much else to report right now; gotta get some work done since I''ve been MIA all morning.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 2:23:48 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Well I''m happy to report that whatever might be wrong with me it''s definitely not my heart. I had a grand ''ol time doing the stress test (hey, I''ll take a medically supervised calorie burn any day!). The bad news is that the next step is the radioactive dye CT scan, which freaks me out because of the IV (which someone told me they actually put in your HAND, not even in your elbow) so I''m now totally stressing about that because I HATE needles...

On the food front I''ve been pretty good for the past few days and I should be today too, although I was starving by the time I got done with the test so I was glad that I had half a peanut butter sandwich with me.

Not much else to report right now; gotta get some work done since I''ve been MIA all morning.

what a relief! congratulations!!!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock

So glad to hear the good news on the heart front DJ.

The IV shouldn''t be too bad. It''ll be over before you know it!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2007 3:45:28 PM
Author: sevens one

So glad to hear the good news on the heart front DJ.

The IV shouldn''t be too bad. It''ll be over before you know it!
1.gif
Ditto, that is good news on the heart front. Hang in there Dee.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news DJ!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, I''d recommend the Marriott at Crabtree Valley. It''s directly across from Crabtree Valley Mall (no high end stores there though, just Macy''s and Hudson Belk and Sears, but it is a nice suburban mall anyway) and an easy drive to the Beltline (440) or most outside areas you might want to check out. The Sheraton is in the middle of downtown and just wouldn''t be that convenient for you I''m afraid. I''ll be really interested in hearing what you and Greg think of Raleigh. It''s a nice place. Full of friendly people. But, ultimately, we''re a bit more urban and cosmopolitan, and it became pretty apparent that long term, I could never really be happy there. Coming back to Tampa has surely made that a reality as we''re so so so happy to be back in Tampa.

DeeJay, I knew you had a good heart
36.gif
. So glad the test went well. Sorry you have to go through the radioactive CT scan, but better safe than sorry.

I just had my car registered in Florida. In NC., you have to have your car tested for smog yearly and pay a 3% tax on it to boot. So, they put this dreadful yellow sticker in the front windshield to remind you what month you have to have the car''s emissions tested and pay your annual taxes (a total ripoff IMHO), so it was with pleasure that I took the ugly sticker out of the windshield, but it took nearly an hour to get it off. It''s completely glued on and took Goo-Off, Razors, Rubbing Alcohol and lot''s of elbow grease to remove the dumb thing. Now, I have a nice shiny new Florida plate and registration on my car, like it should have!! WOO HOO.

Am heading to the gym for my 3 of 3 during the week workouts. Tomorrow''s a run 4 miles on the bay day. I love my running days. It''s just such a beautiful and scenic place we live on to run. YAY YAY YAY.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 10:28:17 AM
Author: Rod

Date: 4/19/2007 9:42:52 AM
Author: KimberlyH
Morning All,

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts and encouragement. I am feeling like a horrible wife at the moment as John thought this was a done deal, that we just needed to pick a neighborhood. He was really excited about moving his business to a city with a lot more potential and I''m sick about telling him I don''t think I can do this, and I''m sick about the idea of moving here.
7.gif
I''ve moved 4 times in 5 years and I am ready to call somewhere home, and I''ll miss my family and I love CA, and...

We had a wonderful evening. We went to Everest for dinner and saw The Color Purple...a great way to get my mind off of things, but I woke up upset again this morning.

DeeJay, I''ll be thinking about you today.

Mara, glad you found a pizza place to eat at!

Have a great day all.

~K
All really good reasons why you have to tell John this won''t work. Moving so many times can be just awfully stressful and when you comment how the thought of moving there makes you sick and you love California and you''ll miss your family, well Dear Kimberly, those are all really poweful reasons and you just have to trust your gut that now''s not the time for you to move a sixth time and so far from your cofort zone. Boy, if I learned anything from my saga it''s trust your gut, trust your gut, trust your gut. Plus, consider what danger you could put your marriage in if you moved somewhere and you were miserable. Relationships are hard enough without major stress. Trust me on that one too. Charlie and I had some difficult moments while we were in Raleigh. That''s all I needed was to have a miserable job, live in a place I didn''t love and have my nearly 30 year relationship fall apart. So, again......TRUST YOUR GUT. John will understand.

Relax now, enjoy the rest of your stay and be honest and straight up with John.

Your friend...........Rod
Rod(and everyone else!),

Thanks so much for being so honest and helpful!

John could not be handling this better if I asked him to. He''s basically said he''s really glad we came here prior to meeting with a realtor, that the look on my face when we were wandering around house hunting was more than he needed to know this wasn''t going to work and he would hate for me to be unhappy so staying in San Diego is what we''ll do. I keep trying to convince myself that I can do this for his sake...but he''s already moved on to Plan B.

I cannot begin to tell you how lucky I am to have him for a husband. He is the sole financial support of our family and he could hold that over my head, instead he just reminds me we''re a team and that we need to make decisions that are mutually beneficial.

~K

DeeJay, so glad that your results came out as they did. How are you feeling?

Lorelei, thank you so much! I''m thinking of you too. How are you doing? Are you sleeping yet?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
dee jay, so glad your heart is in great shape. that has to be a huge relief.

Rod, your excitement about being back in Tampa is just wonderful. My parents just booked their tickets for a mini vacation there at the end of May. I will say though that I grew up in the midwest and now live in Nashville, definitely NOT a cosmo city but I really do love it here. I guess maybe b/c I''m a mom and it''s very family oriented and friendly and you get a nice sense of community is part of what makes it home. My hubby grew up outside of chicago and does miss it, but it''s such and easy flight that I guess he feels not so home sick b/c we get to visit often enough. I can''t imagine living my whole life on the water and then not having any, that is what my hubby misses the most, the lake. Anyway, I will be interested to see how you like raleigh Mara, I''ve been there and Rod is right in his discription but it really is a nice place and a whole lot closer to the ocean than I am. Don''t forget the size house you could buy...

I hope everyone is doing well today. I went to the gym did half an spinning endurance class (30 minutes) and then 30 minutes on the cybex arc, then took the girls swimming. they just love that. packing tonight for my early flight to the west coast in the morning. I know I will get at least one real workout in while i''m there but not sure if i''ll have time for more. I really looking forward to my trip and time away though and want to just relax and enjoy being *single* with the gals for a few days
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim, sounds like you have a real keeper there.
2.gif

DeeJay, great news!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim, just read your post and your hubby does sound very wonderful and understanding. glad your staying home..

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay rod i''ll check out the crabtree marriott then!

today is dreary out but it hasn''t started raining just yet (knock on wood it holds for a while longer)...so i went out this morning in between meetings and did a 1.25m walk around the neighborhoods and buildings. we are in a really interesting and fun area to walk around in , there is a lot to see and areas i don''t know. it''s residential and corporate mixed with lots of places to eat and shop etc. for a morning snack i toasted 1/2 a 100 cal high fiber english muffin and put some ls jam and cinnamon on it, yummy. that kept me going til lunch!

then i met a friend for lunch at our fave chinese place. this place is famous for their chinese chicken salad which is basically a bunch of shredded lettuces, cilantro, peanuts and their chicken. it SEEMS pretty healthy because i don''t even think there is a real ''dressing'' on the salad as it''s pretty dry which is good, i typically don''t like a lot of chinese chicken salads because the emphasis is often on the dressing or something other than the peanuts and chicken and lettuce which to me are the embodiment of a tasty salad. and the chicken hardly has any fat on it which is awesome..and they give you hot mustard to use on it, SO yummy. i ate my whole lunch portion with chopsticks (for slower eating!), and then it came with egg drop soup and an egg roll. yummy!!! my girlfriend got the same thing since honestly this place is known for making fans with their chinese chicken salad.

also just went for another short walk around the different floors, trying to acquaint myself with who/what is on the other floors here. i wore my pedometer and clocked about .35m on that jaunt. i have taken the stairs 4 times today so far...haha. so i am definitely not sedentary at the desk. i would like to get out for another 1m walk this afternoon before it starts to rain, and then tonite i can just go home and do some conditioning and jacks and call it a productive day. so we''ll see how it goes. the clouds are definitely gathering outside.

anyhow hope everyone is having a fab day!! kim your hubby sounds so sweet...now you can just enjoy the rest of the trip and not worry. mrs salvo, congrats on continued gym progress. DJ glad to hear your heart is okay...don''t worry about this other test, it''ll be done with and over in a flash! sb kudos on eating healthy at lunch!!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Just a quick check in --

This definitely hasn''t been an awesome week like last week, but I''ve kept on keeping on, I guess.

My birthday was this week, and somehow this has been the year of a thousand birthdays. Last Thursday we had friends over for dinner, then the next night we went out to eat at a fancy restaurant in anticipation of my birthday, then the next night we went out to a fancy dinner and lecture, and so on. We went out again last night with friends, and there was the requisite cake at work, and then my newspaper kids found out it was my birthday and one girl baked me a cake and another girl baked me about 40 cookies, so I had to eat some of those things to be polite.

It was really cute actually because they all came back from lunch early to surprise me, but I came back earlier than they expected. I caught the look-out coming out of my room and closing the door behind him (my friend next door was in on it and let them in), so he just looked sheepish while I unlocked the door, and then all the kids were mad at him for not giving them warning. And one girl castigated me, exclaiming, "Usually you take WAY longer in the bathroom!" But since they went to such trouble on only one day notice (I told them when my b-day was in the context of tragic events always seeming to happen that week -- VA Tech 4/16, Waco TX and OK City 4/19, Columbine 4/20), I didn''t mind, even when one class proclaimed that I must definitely be older than Miss So and So who is 3 years my senior and told me I needed highlights and layers. They even got me a card and everyone signed it. I swear, if it wasn''t for days like that, there''s no way my measly pay check would be worth it!

Anyway, it hasn''t been the best week ever for food and exercise. Sunday night I was stressed about a situation at work and didn''t really sleep, which caused me to miss my first workout in six weeks.
7.gif
Then Tuesday I tried a new video which was doing nothing for me, so I had to switch half-way through and really only got half a workout. But yesterday and today have been good. So my plan is just to keep on keeping on.

Energy-wise, my life is sooo different now. B.E. (before exercising) I would come home and crash and not want to do anything. Now I feel balanced and refreshed.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay rod..sorry i know you have told me this before, and i do remember Mura for Sushi but what were the other recommends you had for best eats in Raleigh? I am finally getting around to booking ressies and finalizing everything so let me know what the other places were. I think you had 1-2 recommends for us. we will be there for 3 nights so we plan to eat out each night and then maybe find a good breakfast place for saturday morning.

i am looking at Gayots and they suggested Magnolia Grill or Nana''s both in Durham as 15 out of 20 which is the highest rating any Raleigh area restaurants got. 14 out of 20''s include some i have seen online like Enoteca Vin, Bloomsbury Bistro, Fraziers, Il Palio, Lantern, Wild Orchid Grill, and Bin 54. Any of those sound familiar?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 7:35:39 PM
Author: Mara
okay rod..sorry i know you have told me this before, and i do remember Mura for Sushi but what were the other recommends you had for best eats in Raleigh? I am finally getting around to booking ressies and finalizing everything so let me know what the other places were. I think you had 1-2 recommends for us. we will be there for 3 nights so we plan to eat out each night and then maybe find a good breakfast place for saturday morning.

i am looking at Gayots and they suggested Magnolia Grill or Nana''s both in Durham as 15 out of 20 which is the highest rating any Raleigh area restaurants got. 14 out of 20''s include some i have seen online like Enoteca Vin, Bloomsbury Bistro, Fraziers, Il Palio, Lantern, Wild Orchid Grill, and Bin 54. Any of those sound familiar?

So far I have avoided chiming in so as not to put too much identifying info on a public website - but I am familiar with the Raleigh/Durham area and can give you some guidance.

First off if you are really thinking of Raleigh, I''d focus on restaurants and such there. Durham is a 30 min drive and so it might not be the kind of place you''d go all the time if you lived in Raleigh. It is a nice city as well, but really a different flavor.

I''ve never been to Mura, but Sushi Blues is really great as well (Glenwood area). To comment on some of the places you mentioned:

Magnolia: I''ve never been, supposed to be fabulous - quite expensive though
Il Palio: Excellent (Chapel Hill - another nice area, but a decent drive from Raleigh)
Bin 54: I''ve never been, but heard it''s overrated

If you are going to do Durham, check out Parizade , Four Square and Another Thyme - all excellent

While in Raleigh be sure you check out Cameron Village (and surrounding neighborhoods) and Glenwood South. These are both very nice areas "inside the beltline" (440) which is the heart of Raleigh. If you want to live in a charming older home with a decent sized lot, this is the place. Prices run about $200/sq foot or more (depending on condition) which is relatively high for here, but may be a lot cheaper than where you are. This is kind of the "old money" part of town and also undergoing an urban revival with more young people moving into condos and such near Glenwood South. Outside the beltline also has some nice areas, especially North Raleigh between 440 and 540. Here you can get even more value for your housing dollar because it is a newer area. basically the further you go outside of the heart of Raleigh, the cheaper it gets per square foot.

Many people also like Cary, which is a newer city near Raleigh, mostly young couples and families who work for companies in Research Triangle Park. It is supposed to be one of the best places to live in the US for schools, amenities and low crime rate. Many have relocated from elsewhere and it is very diverse. I don''t know this area as well.

Rod, I don''t mean to pick a fight, but I''ve lived in Orlando and NC and I actually find the people to be more sophisticated in NC. I think the presence of the major universities and international companies brings a lot of well educated people to the area. But that''s just my perception. Regardless I''m so glad you are happy to be home.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for chiming in Gail!! i have to say sometimes when i look online for information on where to live around there i get really overwhelmed. i figured once we got into town we could drive around and kind of ''feel out'' what felt good to us and explore further from there. we have 3 days.

we would most likely not live IN raleigh...we''d most likely work in one of the tech companies out there as that is what our backgrounds are...so we do want to check out Durham and Chapel Hill and Wakefield since from what i have seen on maps it''s possible to work around there and live in one of the surrounding towns? how far is durham from raleigh and chapel hill etc? also can you recommend a good breakfast place? a lot of the breakfast spots i have found online are really ''greasy spoons'' kind of places which i am really not that into, ideally something like a cafe that has pastries and breakfast and lunch also (ideally where we could sit outside?) would be fabulous. we are so spoiled here with food in the silicon valley but i am sure raleigh will have some good eats. magnolia grill sounds really yummy, and from what i saw online re pricing etc it''s not any more expensive than what we tend to spend here...anything is cheaper than here!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Mara,
check out Fosters Market. They have a location in Durham and one in Chapel Hill. It's exactly as you described. Elmos (a diner type place) is also good.

Traffic in the area is getting worse, so it is definitely reasonable to live in one part of the triangle and work in another, but it is becoming more and more of a hassle. Yet there are many people who do it every day. Many of the bigger companies are in RTP which is central to the whole region.

When you say you wouldn't live in Raleigh, I just wanted to clarify that most of it is not urban particularly - more of a suburban city. So more than likely you would still live "in Raleigh" even if you were in a suburb.

Depending on what part to what part, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are each 20-40 min from eachother.

If you check out Chapel Hill be sure to go to Franklin Street, which is the downtown area.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

Great news DJ and Kimberly you have a great hubby!

I walked 3.25 miles in 50 mins. It was beautiful out and I got to watch the sun set
30.gif

Have a great evening
35.gif
see you tomorrow.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2007 7:35:39 PM
Author: Mara

Mura for Sushi for sure. It''s at North Hills, where Golds Gym is and they will let you work out for free as a guest so you could see if you like it. It''s a terrific gym. Quite large and it''s the one with the Cardio Cinema, which is fun. Mura is directly across from the gym. North Hills is on Six Forks, near 440 (the inner beltline).

For a good Steak, I recommend Sullivans on Glenwood South (DO NOT and I repeat, DO NOT go to the Angus Barn, no matter how much someone recommends it - Blech to say the least).

For a supremely divine dining experience, Second Empire off Jones Street just off Glenwood South. If you go there, look towards the back and you''ll see a 15 story new tower all brick. That''s the Residences at the Quorum and where we were going to live had we stayed in Raleigh. It''s the building with the "uber" cool condo I had waxed enthusiastically about.

Nana''s Chop house is also in Downtown Raleigh and it''s excellent as well.

Do not go to Bloomsbury Bistro. We had dinner there two nights before leaving Raleigh and we expected a wonderful dining experience. It was a major disappointment. The food was mediocre to say the least and VERY expensive.

Another of my favs in Raleigh is also at North Hills and it''s called 115 Midtowne Grill. This is a smaller more intimate grill type restaurant, but has a very cosmopolitan feel. You may recall that I commented about the 4th generation sourdough bread you get, but you have to buy a whole or half loaf if you want bread with your meal (still a bargain at $1 for a half loaf and $2 for a whole loaf).

Since I think you said you were only going to be there a couple nights, this should give you more than enough nice options. If you go to Mura, you have to ask for a roll that is not on the menu, called (no offense anyone) THE SCREAMING ORGASM! It''s really really good and has seared tuna (which I usually shy away from, preferring completely raw tuna), but this is seared perfectly and this roll is outstanding. Ask for a waiter by the name of Hamed. If he''s there, tell him Rod and Charlie (who lived in the same apartment complex with him and who just moved back to Tampa - But he served us every Friday night for months, so I''m sure he''ll remember us) sent you.

Also, if you want some really great pizza, try Mellow Mushroom at Glenwood South and Peace Street. Starbucks is right next door.

I hope these recommendations help make your stay in Raleigh more enjoyable food wise. If there is only one place you could go, make it Second Empire. But make reservations well in advance.

Bon Appetite!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results