shape
carat
color
clarity

We have had 1 good day in the market since Obama was elected

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Yes, we should cut people slack for what may or may not be going on behind the scenes. Including towards Bush and the perceived "nothing" that he is doing.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some folks don't seem to care WHAT's going on behind the scenes ... only what is being directly communicated to Wall Street. Maybe Obama should start a blog "Dear Wall Street" and write about all his hopes & dreams. They can friend each other on Facebook and maybe web cam kiss. Blech.
14.gif

Re: Bush ... his contributions or lack-thereof (depending on one's view) were just items on my list of "other stuff going on" -- my opinion: there's enough blame for EVERYONE. I'm staggered that anyone would try to pin it on Obama alone at this juncture. Such eagerness for 100% catastrophic blame ... reminds me of when a poster said she couldn't wait to pick apart the new president for the next four-eight years. Gleeful, she was. Yawn.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 3:43:49 PM
Author: luckystar112
Yes, we should cut people slack for what may or may not be going on behind the scenes. Including towards Bush and the perceived 'nothing' that he is doing.

The difference is that Bush has already had almost 8 years to "prove himself". Americans have had plenty of time to evaluate what Bush has done for this country.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know!!! Obama should go to Wall Street and stand in front of a MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner & tell everyone it''s all solved, the economy is a-ok!
41.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we should cut people slack for what may or may not be going on behind the scenes. Including towards Bush and the perceived ''nothing'' that he is doing.

Oh no he''s not doing nothing. Would that he were! He''s being Bush to the bitter end....

Bush angers environmentalists with last-minute rule changes
Many of the ''midnight regulations'' open wilderness for oil and gas drilling, and loosen environmental safeguards. President Bush has pushed 53 through in three weeks, researchers say.

Nothing like salting the earth on your way out of town.
20.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, we should cut people slack for what may or may not be going on behind the scenes. Including towards Bush and the perceived ''nothing'' that he is doing.
lucky, what I said above was a joke, just wanted to clarify that!

And I''m not condemming George, for that very reason. However, he is still President, he could at least come out and say, Hold on folks, things are coming along, the transition is going well, have faith that this will work out, etc. Anything, to make those freaking out feel better. Because after all, that''s still his job.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
And now for some good news. Seems the market liked the news of Tim Geithner being picked for Teasury Secretary.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 3:55:54 PM
Author: decodelighted
I know!!! Obama should go to Wall Street and stand in front of a MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner & tell everyone it''s all solved, the economy is a-ok!
41.gif
''Commander Conrad Chun, a Navy spokesperson, said "The banner was a Navy idea. It signified the completion of the ship''s (the USS Abraham Lincoln) deployment", noting that the carrier had been deployed 29 days longer than any other nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in history.'' CNN, October 29, 2003

Same article, same subject:

''The banner has been used by critics of the Bush administration as evidence of bravado, and an unclear sense of how dangerous the postwar conflict in Iraq would be.''

''At the time of the event, Democrats worried the President would use his speech and dramatic landing for political gain.''

And because they were so worried, and rightly so, since none of the Democratic candidates went on to win the election, they have spun this little tale into some huge egofest by Bush. And you bought it. So many people believe spin, that the phrase has become, according to Wikipedia, symbolic of uncompleted operations with an unclear ending. And we wonder why words are so powerful. Even the truth doesn''t stand a chance against commonly held beliefs based on spin.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
The DOW closed above 8,000 today. They are attributing it to Obama moving toward nominating Timothy Geithner for Treasure Secretary. He hasn''t made an offer to Geithner yet, but the mere whispering about it was enough to send stocks "soaring".

Link

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 2:52:14 PM
Author: stone_seeker
But I have an easier time converting red sox fans to yankee fans than I do getting an Obama supporter to be critical of any of his moves.

Stone - this is getting really old and sounds like a broken record. Just reiterating it does not make it true. Unfortunately you would still repeat the same mantra even if any Obama supporter here actually said something critical about the guy. And balanced views can't be equated with blind support, sorry.

(A)"Obama is responsible for all evil"
(B)"Well, I think that you really don't have evidence that Obama is responsible for ALL
evil, and that hypothesis seems a bit far-fetched"
(A)"Since you don't agree that Obama is responsible for all evil you are blindly
supporting Obama and will never be critical of anything he ever does or says"
(B)"Hm, I am just saying that evil has many roots, we just can't blame it on one guy"
(A)"See, you just can't criticize the guy"
(B)"I don't criticize anybody without hard evidence"
(A)"There you go, you just think Obama is a God!"
(B)"I did not even vote for Obama"
(A)"Not voting for him does not mean criticizing, you Obama-loving guy, you!"
(B)"I actually voted for McCain"
(A)"You are just trying to avoid divert my attention from the fact that you are blindly following Obama!"
(B)"OK - you are right. Obama is the root of all evil"
(A)"Can't even stand up for the God you worship, you Obama disciple! Shame on you!!!"

(B)moves to Canada before going insane

Ah ... when creativity strikes. You guys have a good one ...
35.gif

BTW: if you see more abandonned pets, you know who to thank!!!
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/21/pets.foreclosure/index.html

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 8:47:18 AM
Author: tradergirl
Karen, it''s a question of different economic ideology. To a supply sider, Krugman is a buffoon and I don''t need to hear about the recent Nobel.

Stone Seeker - you''re in enemy territory here ideologically for the most part. Obama will regret he won this election by mid term I reckon
face14.gif
Well, you''re certainly within your rights to dismiss any who disagree with you as buffoons.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
This whole thread is giving me a headache.
23.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 4:49:04 PM
Author: HollyS
I know!!! Obama should go to Wall Street and stand in front of a MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner & tell everyone it's all solved, the economy is a-ok!
41.gif
they have spun this little tale into some huge egofest by Bush. And you bought it. So many people believe spin, that the phrase has become, according to Wikipedia, symbolic of uncompleted operations with an unclear ending. And we wonder why words are so powerful. Even the truth doesn't stand a chance against commonly held beliefs based on spin.
Speak for yourself. Many folks are well aware of the "spin" aspect of that ridiculous gaffe ... but Bush himself has said it is one of his biggest regrets as President ... standing in front of that sign OBLIVIOUS to how it would look & how it would later be perceived.

Spin or not it is emblematic of Bush's legendary obliviousness ... his tendency to stay inside he carefully crafted ECHO CHAMBER and just blindly carry out his agenda in the world without caring how many people are being hurt or who actually is our "enemy".

Yup, yup -- anyone who disagrees with you is "misinformed" -- but, as you said before, it's not "your job" to edumacate us all so .. why not stop trying.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 7:58:02 PM

... standing in front of that sign OBLIVIOUS to how it would look & how it would later be perceived.
Hmmmm has anyone else stood in front of something while talking, oblivious to how it would be perceived?
31.gif

I made a Palin joke!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 8:12:53 PM
... standing in front of that sign OBLIVIOUS to how it would look & how it would later be perceived.
Hmmmm has anyone else stood in front of something while talking, oblivious to how it would be perceived?
31.gif
I made a Palin joke!
LOL!!!
3.gif
I didn''t even think of that -- even though it was all over the news/web yesterday & today! Funny!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 8:12:53 PM

31.gif

I made a Palin joke!

Hahaha-yikes! That was just sick! Here''s the link for anyone who doesn''t know what we''re talking about:
Sarah Palin Flapping Her Mouth In Front Of Turkey Slaughter!

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 6:04:51 PM
The DOW closed above 8,000 today. They are attributing it to Obama moving toward nominating Timothy Geithner for Treasure Secretary. He hasn't made an offer to Geithner yet, but the mere whispering about it was enough to send stocks 'soaring'.

Link

Of course they are! But the recent 30% slide since election day has nothing to do with his inaction or his policies because Bush is still in charge.... My point is being made.

As much as I would like to give him credit for the rally since it would make my point, it was also option expiration day and there is a reason why the S&P closed precisely at 800 ;-)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 9:52:08 PM

The DOW closed above 8,000 today. They are attributing it to Obama moving toward nominating Timothy Geithner for Treasure Secretary. He hasn''t made an offer to Geithner yet, but the mere whispering about it was enough to send stocks ''soaring''.

Link

Of course they are! But the recent 30% slide since election day has nothing to do with his inaction or his policies because Bush is still in charge.... My point is being made.

As much as I would like to give him credit for the rally since it would make my point, it was also option expiration day and there is a reason why the S&P closed precisely at 800 ;-)

Oh I get it! Obama gets full credit only when the stock market is doing poorly. When it''s doing well the next day, it''s got nothing to do with Obama. Glad we cleared that up!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 10:14:33 PM
Author: thing2of2

Date: 11/21/2008 9:52:08 PM

The DOW closed above 8,000 today. They are attributing it to Obama moving toward nominating Timothy Geithner for Treasure Secretary. He hasn''t made an offer to Geithner yet, but the mere whispering about it was enough to send stocks ''soaring''.

Link

Oh I get it! Obama gets full credit only when the stock market is doing poorly. When it''s doing well the next day, it''s got nothing to do with Obama. Glad we cleared that up!
Thing2: I''m pretty sure he is saying, (please correct me if I''m wrong)... Obama supporters don''t want to say the stock market fall has anything to do with Obama, but the minute it rises, they are quick to correlate it with him. Stone never said that the rise today wasn''t because of Obama.

It''s strange that media and citizens alike, who blame Bush for the recent falls of the stock market, are quick to award Obama with the award, when it rises... eventhough "he''s still not officially president".

(My comment has nothing to do with his comment about the S&P close... I''m not knowlegable enough to make a statement regarding those numbers)

JMO.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you meresal. That was my point exactly.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
And my point was that Obama haters will not give Obama credit for anything good.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Date: 11/21/2008 4:49:04 PM
Author: HollyS

41.gif
they have spun this little tale into some huge egofest by Bush. And you bought it. So many people believe spin, that the phrase has become, according to Wikipedia, symbolic of uncompleted operations with an unclear ending. And we wonder why words are so powerful. Even the truth doesn''t stand a chance against commonly held beliefs based on spin.
Speak for yourself. Many folks are well aware of the ''spin'' aspect of that ridiculous gaffe ... but Bush himself has said it is one of his biggest regrets as President ... standing in front of that sign OBLIVIOUS to how it would look & how it would later be perceived.

Spin or not it is emblematic of Bush''s legendary obliviousness ... his tendency to stay inside he carefully crafted ECHO CHAMBER and just blindly carry out his agenda in the world without caring how many people are being hurt or who actually is our ''enemy''.

Yup, yup -- anyone who disagrees with you is ''misinformed'' -- but, as you said before, it''s not ''your job'' to edumacate us all so .. why not stop trying.

You''re lucky. I had a pithy response crafted, and I deleted it. You don''t deserve the vicarious thrill you would get from responding.
9.gif

So you don''t like me. Big deal. I wonder which one of us is the intolerant one here, since I can still find you likable.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
24.gif

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Mustard anyone? That hotdog sure is yummy!
41.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20.gif
20.gif
14.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Not to worry Hollys.
Some of us might find your words unbelievable, but we all like you too!
2.gif

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Obama''s post-campaign public appearances and comments have been less than inspiring. While I did not support him, as I watched him claim victory on election night, I resigned myself to his presidency and wondered if perhaps, my fears were unjustified. I forced myself to be optimistic and open minded. then I watched his first press conference and almost got sick. Gone was the slick and smooth speker from the campaign trail, the man who seemed so confident in his ideas and theories. Every other word was "uh um" and he looked like a deer in the headlights. His Nancy rRagan comment was appalling.

That being said, I think the "now what" factor aorund Obama is just ONE of MANY factors impacting the economy. Investors are fearful of his policies. Unions are part of what sunk GM and the autos..... etc., and so on. But while not a great fan of the man, to blame Obama for the continued downward spiral of the economy is unfair.

Might he have done or said more post-election to inspire economic confidence? Yes. His comements about how long it would take and how bad this is were designed to insulate him from criticism and probably did more harm than good. I also think people who supported him are generally blinded by his charisma and are very generous in terms of looking the other way when he missteps. I hope that goes away. W elive in an age of super-clelebrity where it seems many eople need to latch on to someone larger than life to feel good about themselves or hopeful. Always reminds me of the passage in the Bible where the Isrealites have left Egypt and Moses comes down from the mountain to find them worshiping the golden calf, because they just needed somehting to follow and blindly adore...........

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, Aspara! It''s like you read my mind! I''m totally only into Obama ''cause he''s like a celeb and stuff. I think most Obama supporters can agree-he''s basically like our golden calf to blindly worship! I''m nowhere near as smart as you so I can''t see that he''s only human, like any other president we''ve had in the past!

I really can''t fathom the idea that he isn''t going to wiggle his nose and make the whole world better! And buy us all a Coke, too! And I didn''t even really listen to him when he said the economy is really bad because I was blinded by his good looks (plus I was on my knees worshipping him so it was hard to hear), but did you ever think maybe he said the economy was really bad because...the economy is really bad?

Should he have told us the fundamentals of our economy were strong? Would that have been better?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
make no mistake about it: i''m not a big obama fan.....but i voted for him. the other guy just scared the **** out of me more than him. i''m not thrilled with some of his appointments and i''m not sure that he won''t continue down the same slippery path that bush started re erosion of our civil rights and clinton started with the move to nafta and gatt. however, to blame him for the current market freefall is in error. if he can stop it and jump start this economy in a year''s time given all that''s gone before is going to be a miracle. we''ve got one chance at this and obama is the best chance. we''re in for a bumpy ride and i hope we make it. the alternative isn''t pretty. so at the end of my rant i want to add that while there is a faithful choir of obama supporters, there are voters that saw him and still see him as the best chance we were presented with. i''m one of them.

movie zombie

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 10:52:24 AM
Author: thing2of2
OMG, Aspara! It''s like you read my mind! I''m totally only into Obama ''cause he''s like a celeb and stuff. I think most Obama supporters can agree-he''s basically like our golden calf to blindly worship! I''m nowhere near as smart as you so I can''t see that he''s only human, like any other president we''ve had in the past!

I really can''t fathom the idea that he isn''t going to wiggle his nose and make the whole world better! And buy us all a Coke, too! And I didn''t even really listen to him when he said the economy is really bad because I was blinded by his good looks (plus I was on my knees worshipping him so it was hard to hear), but did you ever think maybe he said the economy was really bad because...the economy is really bad?

Should he have told us the fundamentals of our economy were strong? Would that have been better?
My word; it seems we''ve struck a chord. I guess my use of "many people" not "all people" went unnoticed, unless of course, you identify so readily with the notion of blind celebrity driving part of Obama''s vote, as it appears you do.

Come on--I watched countless interviews with people who voted for Obama because he was black, popular, new, different.... many reasons cited BUT his policies/experience. A lot of people voted on that premise, but not all people by any means. Read more carefully next time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results