shape
carat
color
clarity

wall st massacre....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 11:43:51 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
will we see Dow 9000 soon? S&P below 1000? Naz below 1700?
It hasn''t hit bottom yet because the world currencies are tanking.
Everyone is printing money like mad and destroying the value.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
You''re right, we haven''t seen the impact of the "financial weapons of mass destruction" as Warren Buffet described the credit default swaps that are bringing down Wall Street. Here is a primer on the crisis behind the crisis...

The Ticking Wall Street Timebomb

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
same O story on wall st today
14.gif

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one for you, Dancing Fire. I thought this was funny.

CEO --Chief Embezzlement Officer.

CFO-- Corporate Fraud Officer.

BULL MARKET -- A random market movement causing an investor to mistake himself for a financial genius.

BEAR MARKET -- A 6 to 18 month period when the kids get no allowance, the wife gets no jewelry, and the husband gets no sex.

VALUE INVESTING -- The art of buying low and selling lower.

P/E RATIO -- The percentage of investors wetting their pants as the market keeps crashing.

BROKER -- What my broker has made me.

STANDARD & POOR -- Your life in a nutshell.

STOCK ANALYST -- Idiot who just downgraded your stock.

STOCK SPLIT -- When your ex-wife and her lawyer split your assets equally between themselves.

FINANCIAL PLANNER -- A guy whose phone has been disconnected.

MARKET CORRECTION -- The day after you buy stocks.

CASH FLOW -- The movement your money makes as it disappears down the toilet.

YAHOO -- What you yell after selling it to some poor sucker for $240 per share.

WINDOWS -- What you jump out of when you''re the sucker who bought Yahoo @ $240 per share.

INSTITUTIONAL INVESTOR -- Past year investor who''s now locked up in a nuthouse.

PROFIT -- An archaic word no longer in use.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
How about "Chef" for the accountant, since they are always cooking the books.
27.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
10/2/2008 9:08:21 PM
Author: Harriet

Btw, would you mind asking your hubby if he knew the late analyst, Jonathan Gray? Jonathan covered Freddie, Fannie and Countrywide.

I am sorry to be so tardy in replying to this question, Harriet. It took me a while to remember the question at a time when I could catch my husband.

The name seemed familiar to him, but he couldn''t place who Jonathan Gray was. Was he someone you knew or "just" a well-known analyst? (I do not mean to disparage Mr. Gray''s abilities, believe me! I am phrasing this badly. I meant did you know him personally or by reputation?)

Deborah
34.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
The DOW is down again this morning
39.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I know - so sad. My lastest addition to my ever shrinking portfolio is the QQQQ. That basically represents all the major tech companies. Yesterday was so dreadful.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beacon, makes me sad too

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 8:33:16 AM
Author: AGBF

I am sorry to be so tardy in replying to this question, Harriet. It took me a while to remember the question at a time when I could catch my husband.

The name seemed familiar to him, but he couldn''t place who Jonathan Gray was. Was he someone you knew or ''just'' a well-known analyst? (I do not mean to disparage Mr. Gray''s abilities, believe me! I am phrasing this badly. I meant did you know him personally or by reputation?)

Deborah
34.gif
No worries (though there''s something else awaiting your reply
2.gif
).

Jonathan was an analyst at Bernstein and my hubby was his last associate. I miss him.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2008 1:54:53 PM
Author: Beacon
I know - so sad. My lastest addition to my ever shrinking portfolio is the QQQQ. That basically represents all the major tech companies. Yesterday was so dreadful.
don''t feel bad you not alone.
39.gif
i was shorting the Qs a couple months ago,but not now.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am ready to pull everything out and stuff my mattress, that is if we have anything left
23.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Jeez, this money has to be going somewhere??? Where??

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Down the toilet!!!
14.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Time to change occupations to plumber.
9.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
We''re due for a rally.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2008 11:17:51 PM
Author: miraclesrule
into tradergirl''s pocket.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
Dow -523 Naz -77 S&P -63

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I just keep watching it go down!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2008 12:38:01 AM
We''re due for a rally.
when???
39.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ow! Ow! Ow!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
unfortunately I called that one right but wasn''t expecting it that soon, we might even see 7k before it starts back up.
The stupid thing was that anyone with half a brain would know that the automakers are going to take some hits and the news should not have been unexpected.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Wow - this does take the cake!

The action of this market reminds me of what they say at craps tables, "if you can''t be good, be quick." This is one fast market.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2008 6:53:12 PM

The action of this market reminds me of what they say at craps tables, ''if you can''t be good, be quick.'' This is one fast market.
i''am !!...losing my AS real QUICK !
39.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 8:13:46 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 10/9/2008 6:53:12 PM

The action of this market reminds me of what they say at craps tables, ''if you can''t be good, be quick.'' This is one fast market.
i''am !!...losing my AS real QUICK !
39.gif

you aren''t alone
23.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2008 11:17:51 PM
Author: miraclesrule
Why, back into the ethereal netherworld of nothingness from whence it came, of course.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
My daughter works at Wells Fargo and has for at over 10 years. She sent me this email today that sums up the philosphy and questionable business practices that went for the short term gain over the long term stability....

This was her line in the forward of a WSJ article excerpt:

"Nice! I remember being in the branch and having to tell customers no and they would say – “Well at WAMU, I can get xyz…”

Here is an excerpt from a WSJ article in Today''s Headlines…

...What is encouraging throughout this bursting bubble is that leadership matters, that good decisions can be made in good times and bad, and that making good long-term decisions is rewarded, even by short-term minded Wall Street.

I am, of course, talking about Wells Fargo & Co. Look at the company and its stock. Lehman is bankrupt, Merrill Lynch had to sell itself to survive, Washington Mutual lost over 95% of its value, then crashed and burned. Wells Fargo''s stock was just $1 below its all-time high as recently as mid-September. During the "good times" Wells Fargo lost market share in its mortgage business. By the way, Wells is the second-largest mortgage company in the U.S., so it is not because it was a small player in the industry that its exposure was limited. The company lost significant share and millions of dollars of profits because its management made the decision to decline bad business and say no to bad loans. Good management matters and works….

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I know. I have owned WFC since 1992, when I bought it during the last housing crisis. They are a good, make sense lender. They have always been a lender that turns away iffy business. Even so, they are getting taken down along with everything else.

A friend of mine gave me this expression and it is true regarding good stocks in bear markets: "when the cops raid the whorehouse they arrest the ulgy girls and the pretty girls too." So they are killing Wells too.

There are quite a number of good stocks suffering this fate as the whole market implodes.

Market is in sheer panic free fall.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What? The great benevolent hand of The Free Market, is NOT working?? Other countries have stopped drinking our koolaid?? They don''t trust us?? Oh, the horroror!!

The End Of American Capitalism?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
The DOW is at it again
23.gif
!! When will it stop
14.gif

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results