shape
carat
color
clarity

wall st massacre....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 12:01:53 PM
Author: tradergirl
And here is another vision of the future for the NY/Wall Street hedge fund and private equity masters of the universe and all that catered to them. Might be a few lean years for Mr. Mege coming down the pipe. Can''t say I''m too upset about it. I make my money in the markets but I have to use my own skills, not inside information or other ''tools'' of the hedge fund industry:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/27/AR2008092701572.html?hpid=topnews
tradergirl,

I sense that your post is passively directed at Diamondfan and myself, or rather, the type of women you take us to be. So that your vision of my future is more accurate, would you like me to send you my palm print? Or, would you prefer pins and a doll of myself?

I neither need nor want your compassion. That said, please have some for the people whose livelihoods depend upon supporting the professions you listed.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, she is not offering any compassion. She likes the suffering of others, so it would seem. Ignore it and it will hopefully go away.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 12:01:53 PM
And here is another vision of the future for the NY/Wall Street hedge fund and private equity masters of the universe and all that catered to them. Might be a few lean years for Mr. Mege coming down the pipe. Can''t say I''m too upset about it. I make my money in the markets but I have to use my own skills, not inside information or other ''tools'' of the hedge fund industry:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/27/AR2008092701572.html?hpid=topnews

Talk about schadenfreude! I particularly enjoy how you assume all people in financial services use some form of illegal activities. The irony is you claim to make your money in the markets and probably were able to do so due to the liquidity provided by the hedge funds and banks you now deride (you think stocks go up or down due to magic?). Be careful what you wish for.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Harriet I thought she was trying to say that you were a stripper?
6.gif

But seriously, it is hard to imagine making one''s living in the financial markets and simultaneously hating others who do the same. That''s what I got out of the post, ill concealed anger and dislike for people in the financial industry.

I guess many Americans feel this way b/c of the crisis we now face. I can understand those feelings and they are real. I too am angry about the whole thing. Bunch of people made a lot of money for a while, blew themselves up and now US taxpayer has to pay for it. I really do not like it. However, I think there is little choice but to pass the bailout cause it will be a full out disaster if we don''t fix it. And for disaster everyone, not just the wall st crew.

I am hoping for the best.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
we are all having to pay the price now. It is not right, but the consequences of NOT doing it, in order to teach a lesson or send a message, are WORSE. We just have to suck it up and fix it as best as we can, so we are not all sliding down to oblivion. I think we can deal with those who messed up LATER. Otherwise, we all go down with the ship and who is to blame becomes moot in the bigger picture. This might seem like throwing good money in after bad, but we truly have no choice.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 3:40:59 PM
Author: diamondfan
Harriet, she is not offering any compassion. She likes the suffering of others, so it would seem. Ignore it and it will hopefully go away.

Hopefully, It will crawl back under Its rock again. It is a shame, how it enjoys the suffering of other people.
14.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Linda, we should only be so lucky!

Is anyone's troll-o-meter off the charts, by the way?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 4:27:43 PM
Author: Beacon
Harriet I thought she was trying to say that you were a stripper?
6.gif

But seriously, it is hard to imagine making one's living in the financial markets and simultaneously hating others who do the same. That's what I got out of the post, ill concealed anger and dislike for people in the financial industry.

I guess many Americans feel this way b/c of the crisis we now face. I can understand those feelings and they are real. I too am angry about the whole thing. Bunch of people made a lot of money for a while, blew themselves up and now US taxpayer has to pay for it. I really do not like it. However, I think there is little choice but to pass the bailout cause it will be a full out disaster if we don't fix it. And for disaster everyone, not just the wall st crew.

I am hoping for the best.
Goodness gracious me! I just read this paragraph in the article to which it linked:

"Renowned defense lawyer Edward W. Hayes, a self-described night owl, long ago developed two measurements for gauging the ups and downs of Wall Street: the HEGI and the HESI, which stand for High End Girlfriend Index and High End Stripper Index. When the financial sector's business is good, he said, the traders and bankers spend huge sums on high-end girlfriends and in the VIP rooms of Manhattan's pricey strip joints."

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it is really as successful as it claims, then it is living proof that money doesn''t buy happiness.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asian stocks rallied a bit but are headed down.
Dollar is down against both the euro and yen in early trading.
Not looking good!

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Please stay on topic and do not make personal attacks.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7641733.stm

and another one falls, Wachovia to be bought by Citigroup, 4th largest bank in the nation....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2008 12:26:35 PM
Author: dragonfly411
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7641733.stm

and another one falls, Wachovia to be bought by Citigroup, 4th largest bank in the nation....
i knew this was coming for Wachovia.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
today must be a happy day for tradergirl.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock

dreaming of the day

Shiny_Rock
What are they going to do now??? Nobody is changing their vote, but it''s still open. I can''t believe they are focusing more on the politiccs than what is better for the country overall.

dreaming of the day

Shiny_Rock
Just go tnews - No chance on passing the bill! Crazy

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Covering all my short positions! Hahahah. I won''t have to work again for the next five years! Thanks Pelosi!

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 2:08:01 PM
Author: dreaming of the day
What are they going to do now??? Nobody is changing their vote, but it''s still open. I can''t believe they are focusing more on the politiccs than what is better for the country overall.
I KNOW! It''s a bunch of political BS & fear mongering from both sides. SOMETHING has to be done; sitting back and complaining won''t do anything! Stocks will be worthless if this continues.
29.gif
Just because Bush supports the deal doesn''t mean it shouldn''t pass; Congress really needs to grow a set and pass it.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 2:16:54 PM
Author: IndyGirl22

Date: 9/29/2008 2:08:01 PM
Author: dreaming of the day
I KNOW! It''s a bunch of political BS & fear mongering from both sides. SOMETHING has to be done; sitting back and complaining won''t do anything! Stocks will be worthless if this continues.
29.gif
Just because Bush supports the deal doesn''t mean it shouldn''t pass; Congress really needs to grow a set and pass it.
Agreed. I read a short summary of the bill and it seemed more than reasonable.
It''s sad that people care more about their future political aspirations than helping the economy.
15.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a political genius by any means, so I''m sorry if this is a stupid question - can the President still pass this bill without the support of Congress? Almost like a veto to their opposition? Or is there no way this bill is going to pass?

Sorry to show my lack of knowledge in politics - I''m just curious
20.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 2:37:18 PM
Author: Cleopatra
I''m not a political genius by any means, so I''m sorry if this is a stupid question - can the President still pass this bill without the support of Congress? Almost like a veto to their opposition? Or is there no way this bill is going to pass?

Sorry to show my lack of knowledge in politics - I''m just curious
20.gif
I''m pretty sure this bill won''t pass; if the President could pass a bill on his own Congress would be useless. I am *HIGHLY* disappointed in Pelosi - bashing Bush right before voting on what is supposed to be a bipartisan bill to bring us out from this economic darkness is NOT conduicive to a solution. I never really liked her, but now I can see that she cares more about her career than the American people.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Holy sh*t, I've never lost more money in a day in my life. Luckily my husband sold every single one of our shares while the vote was happening, so while we took a huge loss, it could have been worse.

The market is going to move one way or another. If the market really does collapse, we'll buy. I envy you, Tradergirl! If we'd shorted instead of going long, we'd be in the same boat. As it is, we are seriously licking our wounds. Thank Jeebus we don't invest everything. I feel relief to be out...the past 2 weeks have been hell.

What a day.

ETA: it became readily apparent that nobody cared about the bill even before it didn't pass--the whole process was delayed today so that every politician could be "on record" before voting. I may have lost a ton, but I'm still glad it didn't pass.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
If we have a "top ten" level bear market, we can be at about 8500, so the prices today might end up looking good, sorry to say.

I think we are right around the Dow levels we were at the last big swoon, before Paulson et al first announced the plan.

My guess is they go back and rehash and try to pick something up in a refurbished plan. Lots of folks lose their job. Obama wins the election. I would hate to be a person on the verge of retirement now, or one with a lot of debt on their books. Or be a small business who needs to borrow even a nickel to fund their operations.

I do wonder how this plays out in the minds of our foreign lenders. Not pretty.

shel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 2:11:12 PM
Covering all my short positions! Hahahah. I won''t have to work again for the next five years! Thanks Pelosi!
I know! Isn''t this the greatest news? Now we can put the Gordon equation to work for us.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 3:12:36 PM
Author: shel

Date: 9/29/2008 2:11:12 PM
I know! Isn''t this the greatest news? Now we can put the Gordon equation to work for us.
Lots of good luck!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2008 2:50:05 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Holy sh*t, I''ve never lost more money in a day in my life. Luckily my husband sold every single one of our shares while the vote was happening, so while we took a huge loss, it could have been worse.
remember....the best time to buy is when everybody wants out.
2.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 5:53:37 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 9/29/2008 2:50:05 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Holy sh*t, I''ve never lost more money in a day in my life. Luckily my husband sold every single one of our shares while the vote was happening, so while we took a huge loss, it could have been worse.
remember....the best time to buy is when everybody wants out.
2.gif
Agreed, if it collapses, we will buy, buy, buy.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Yep, good buy.

Good bye house, good bye car......
10.gif

I supppose the government will have another think about this rescue plan and maybe pass it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results