shape
carat
color
clarity

Updates, anyone?

SMC

Ideal_Rock
wsucheerleader|1364830821|3417915 said:
Super pretty!!! Love it!!! I've done that several times with my ring. I'll ask to wear it for an evening we are staying in.

Isn't it awesome to wear your ring, even in private? I totally want to see pictures of your ring too. I hope your SO proposes soon - it's a surprise that Wichita has made it this far. :)

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1364640397|3416624 said:
HAPPY QUARTER CENTURY BIRTHDAY TO MY TWIN, MADELISE!

bdayparty.gif

:wink2:

I'm sorry its so late!

:appl:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1364848309|3418093 said:
WSU Cheerleader - I've got my fingers crossed for you!!

Manda - I am so happy for you!! :appl: Yay! Way to get the ball moving!!!!!

Sortmon - your ring is spectacular! Holy shiznets that center stone takes up your whole finger! I don't know how you're not DYING every time you see it and have it taken away!!

:appl: :appl: :appl:

I'm so excited for all of you ladies. I have big big news, too! But I'll wait for another time to announce since I don't want any of you thinking it's just an April Fools joke :naughty: Suspense! Suspense!! ;))

Madelise, did something good happen on your birthday?!?! Please tell. I always look forward to reading good news in this forum.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy April 2nd :)) Hope we all survived unscathed. ;)) I have bigger news than an engagement :appl: I got into my top choice school for grad school, beating out 400+ students for the 20 spots available. I get to stay extremely local to my family, and semi-local to my partner. I don't have to move 8 hours away!! ::) I am absolutely ecstatic.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1364921780|3418602 said:
Happy April 2nd :)) Hope we all survived unscathed. ;)) I have bigger news than an engagement :appl: I got into my top choice school for grad school, beating out 400+ students for the 20 spots available. I get to stay extremely local to my family, and semi-local to my partner. I don't have to move 8 hours away!! ::) I am absolutely ecstatic.

Wow, congratulations! I forgot April 1st was when schools sent you notifications! As a random fact, Harvard had 35K in applications this year, resulting in a 5.8% admission rate, and generating $2M+ in application fees. Your grad school program, at 5% admission, is even more selective than Harvard! How impressive!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sortmon|1364922015|3418603 said:

Wow, congratulations! I forgot April 1st was when schools sent you notifications! As a random fact, Harvard had 35K in applications this year, resulting in a 5.8% admission rate, and generating $2M+ in application fees. Your grad school program, at 5% admission, is even more selective than Harvard! How impressive!

I think that random tidbit is for high school students applying for their freshman year, though, right? Graduate classes have less seats available, and everyone competing to get in has similar competitive stats. It's been crazy. My school has 20 spots, but some CA campuses have 15! The big name brand schools like Columbia Teacher's College, Purdue, NYU, Vanderbilt… they all have larger class sizes and are able to accept more students. CA is just overpopulated :!: and impacted. And the public schools are sooooo affordable that everyone wants in. I'm finally able to breathe again now that I know I've secured a spot :sun:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1364924431|3418639 said:
sortmon|1364922015|3418603 said:

I think that random tidbit is for high school students applying for their freshman year, though, right? Graduate classes have less seats available, and everyone competing to get in has similar competitive stats. It's been crazy. My school has 20 spots, but some CA campuses have 15! The big name brand schools like Columbia Teacher's College, Purdue, NYU, Vanderbilt… they all have larger class sizes and are able to accept more students. CA is just overpopulated :!: and impacted. And the public schools are sooooo affordable that everyone wants in. I'm finally able to breathe again now that I know I've secured a spot :sun:

Yup, that stat was for college freshmen. So are you going to grad school in education?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATS, MADELISE!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sortmon: Oh yes, you're in CA too! I forgets. No, not education, but another field that is solely given to privates and the CSU system: speech-language pathology. :))

Princesss: Thanks so much! I still got my fingers crossed for you, too!!!

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Madelise! I may have missed this because I was quickly skimming stuff, but what program?

I have always wanted to go to graduate school/get my masters degree. Too bad the whole getting married/having kids thing seems to be dominating my life now! Maybe one day. A girl can dream. :halo:

wsucheerleader

Rough_Rock
If you want to go to grad school, GO!!! I'm getting my PhD in clinical psych. Yes, i want to get married and have a kids but who says you can't have it all.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
lin_ny|1364943204|3418884 said:
Congrats Madelise! I may have missed this because I was quickly skimming stuff, but what program?

I have always wanted to go to graduate school/get my masters degree. Too bad the whole getting married/having kids thing seems to be dominating my life now! Maybe one day. A girl can dream. :halo:

I feel you! I'm in the same boat. I want to get a masters but the idea of working full time, getting a masters, and having kids at the same time is to much for me unfortunately. :sick: Unless SO decides to support me while I go to school full time (quit my job) and have kids... but I dont think I could give up my spending habits and full time paycheck for that. ;(

Oh decisions decision!!! :rolleyes:

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
maple2012|1365034756|3419749 said:
lin_ny|1364943204|3418884 said:

I feel you! I'm in the same boat. I want to get a masters but the idea of working full time, getting a masters, and having kids at the same time is to much for me unfortunately. :sick: Unless SO decides to support me while I go to school full time (quit my job) and have kids... but I dont think I could give up my spending habits and full time paycheck for that. ;(

Oh decisions decision!!! :rolleyes:
I honestly think a masters degree would just be a personal achievement for me. Career wise, I'm where I want to be. Getting my masters would put me in a position to pursue positions in management, higher-up administration, university teaching, etc. But I don't even think I want to do that.

I just long to be student again. My undergrad years were some of the best of my life (and most challenging... maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much). I'm disturbed. :lol:

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
wsucheerleader|1364998514|3419281 said:
If you want to go to grad school, GO!!! I'm getting my PhD in clinical psych. Yes, i want to get married and have a kids but who says you can't have it all.
But.... MONEY.

I can't afford grad school. I mean, I could... but I'd rather have a small wedding, a beautiful honeymoon, and a baby. Yep, there's that baby fever creepin' up on me again! :wacko:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Just had this conversation. I knew there was a reason I loved BF.

Me: Okay, honeymoon plan: Safari and climbing Kilimanjaro. Yes? Okay, good.
BF: You really are my ideal girl

I'm gonna climb Kilimanjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooo

In like, 15 years or however long it takes us to be able to a) get married and b) afford a honeymoon.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1365102395|3420262 said:

I'm gonna climb Kilimanjaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooo

In like, 15 years or however long it takes us to be able to a) get married and b) afford a honeymoon.

Oh wow, I am so jealous! I wonder if I can get my bf on board to climb Kili. One of my friends did it a few years ago and she really recommends it. I've been to Tanzania before but only looked up at Kili from the base (and it was a cloudy day so I couldn't see very far).

I really want to go to Antarctica for my honeymoon. It's the only continent that I haven't set foot on yet. My bf does not like that idea. His vote is for Italy.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:wavey:

Hi everyone!

I've been kind of absent as of late because of stress, disasters and stress, but things are looking up now. Yay. :appl:

I am so super duper excited for MADELISE! YAY! Extra happy!

And a special hello to sortmon, my fellow Seattle person, I have been meaning to talk to you more but I have been too distracted lately for PS. So, hi! :wavey: I live on the Eastside, but I'm really excited there's a PSer nearby. :D

I recently discovered a local jeweler who is an absolute GENIUS. I've already spoken with him regarding a ring redo and we are going to discuss our options more in detail tomorrow. Yay! I feel so fortunate there's someone so incredibly talented who works less than a block away from my work! How crazy is that?! I'm hoping he'll let me spend a lot more time in his workshop in the future because he's seriously amazing and I'm over the moon about finding a local bench that's even better than what I thought my best options were.

I see there's a little honeymoon talk going on, so I just thought I'd mention that G and I are planning on touring castles in Europe on our honeymoon. That was his idea, not mine (though I'm super duper excited about it and I think it's a great plan!)-- I'm just happy he's willing to go to France. I was originally planning on going to grad school in Paris, but then I met him and things changed... so I'm happy he's willing to at least do a France trip.

sortmon, I know several people who went to Antarctica. I used to work in an atmospheric science lab and everyone but me went there every year for research (I didn't go, because I wasn't a grad student so I didn't get grant funding to send me there-- boooo). They all had fun every time they went, though I guess I couldn't tell you if their excitement was more due to the scenery or due to excitement about the research. I highly recommend you watch Werner Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World, if you haven't already. It's a breathtakingly beautiful film.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Cygnet, that's such great news about finding a good bench right down the road! I hope this means your amazing Octavia will have a home sooner than later??? I totally understand if you're not ready to talk about it but I've been DYING to know how it all turned/turns out!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1365115975|3420406 said:

Hi everyone!

I've been kind of absent as of late because of stress, disasters and stress, but things are looking up now. Yay. :appl:

And a special hello to sortmon, my fellow Seattle person, I have been meaning to talk to you more but I have been too distracted lately for PS. So, hi! :wavey: I live on the Eastside, but I'm really excited there's a PSer nearby. :D

I recently discovered a local jeweler who is an absolute GENIUS. I've already spoken with him regarding a ring redo and we are going to discuss our options more in detail tomorrow. Yay! I feel so fortunate there's someone so incredibly talented who works less than a block away from my work! How crazy is that?! I'm hoping he'll let me spend a lot more time in his workshop in the future because he's seriously amazing and I'm over the moon about finding a local bench that's even better than what I thought my best options were.

I see there's a little honeymoon talk going on, so I just thought I'd mention that G and I are planning on touring castles in Europe on our honeymoon. That was his idea, not mine (though I'm super duper excited about it and I think it's a great plan!)-- I'm just happy he's willing to go to France. I was originally planning on going to grad school in Paris, but then I met him and things changed... so I'm happy he's willing to at least do a France trip.

sortmon, I know several people who went to Antarctica. I used to work in an atmospheric science lab and everyone but me went there every year for research (I didn't go, because I wasn't a grad student so I didn't get grant funding to send me there-- boooo). They all had fun every time they went, though I guess I couldn't tell you if their excitement was more due to the scenery or due to excitement about the research. I highly recommend you watch Werner Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World, if you haven't already. It's a breathtakingly beautiful film.

Hi cygnet! I live near Green Lake and work downtown. I used to work on the east side, but I rarely go there since they started tolls on the 520. ;-)

I'm so happy you found a jeweler! I hope that you'll do a SMTB thread and reveal the name of the jeweler once you're done and satisfied with his work. Isn't it great to have your jeweler close-by? I got my ring done at the Sholdt workshop in SODO. They polish and resize my rings for free whenever I want. I just went in at lunch today to get my ring adjusted a quarter size down and I was in and out in 30 minutes.

France is such a great place to honeymoon. I'm obsessed with macarons and while I was there, I went to a different shop everyday.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1365104726|3420294 said:
princesss|1365102395|3420262 said:

Oh wow, I am so jealous! I wonder if I can get my bf on board to climb Kili. One of my friends did it a few years ago and she really recommends it. I've been to Tanzania before but only looked up at Kili from the base (and it was a cloudy day so I couldn't see very far).

I really want to go to Antarctica for my honeymoon. It's the only continent that I haven't set foot on yet. My bf does not like that idea. His vote is for Italy.

OMG. If I wasn't super excited about Tanzania, I'd totally do Antarctica! I have to get there at some point. Maybe do some kind of Galapagos/Patagonia/Antarctica trip? I'm a little (a lot) travel obsessed.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1365119593|3420459 said:
cygnet|1365115975|3420406 said:

Hi everyone!

Hi cygnet! I live near Green Lake and work downtown. I used to work on the east side, but I rarely go there since they started tolls on the 520. ;-)

I'm so happy you found a jeweler! I hope that you'll do a SMTB thread and reveal the name of the jeweler once you're done and satisfied with his work. Isn't it great to have your jeweler close-by? I got my ring done at the Sholdt workshop in SODO. They polish and resize my rings for free whenever I want. I just went in at lunch today to get my ring adjusted a quarter size down and I was in and out in 30 minutes.

France is such a great place to honeymoon. I'm obsessed with macarons and while I was there, I went to a different shop everyday.

You mean you didn't just camp out in front of La Duree? When claritek and I were there last summer, I think I went there every day (sometimes twice a day). Mmmmmm. Have you seen Tartelette's macaron recipe? So easy and delicious.

Also, cygnet - your honeymoon idea sounds amazing! Aside from France, what other places are you going to go? Germany (to see the "real" Cinderella castle)? The UK? Italy?

SMC

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1365173988|3420887 said:
You mean you didn't just camp out in front of La Duree? When claritek and I were there last summer, I think I went there every day (sometimes twice a day). Mmmmmm. Have you seen Tartelette's macaron recipe? So easy and delicious.

Also, cygnet - your honeymoon idea sounds amazing! Aside from France, what other places are you going to go? Germany (to see the "real" Cinderella castle)? The UK? Italy?

Pierre Herme is also really good and they have interesting flavors. Laduree's in NYC now too! I go whenever I'm back east - salted caramel and lemon are my favorites. One of my favorite macaron places in North America is Soirette in Vancouver. They have really interesting flavors. My favorite is their sweet and savory white truffle macaron!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1365178351|3420926 said:
princesss|1365173988|3420887 said:

Pierre Herme is also really good and they have interesting flavors. Laduree's in NYC now too! I go whenever I'm back east - salted caramel and lemon are my favorites. One of my favorite macaron places in North America is Soirette in Vancouver. They have really interesting flavors. My favorite is their sweet and savory white truffle macaron!

I liked the salted caramel, but I felt like the flavour was too heavy for a macaron - I much prefer rose, lavender, basil, etc. (Now I want to make lemon basil macarons. Hmmmm....) There are no places around where I am to get a proper one, so I have to make do with what I can whip up. (Same with scones, but I just found a dreamy recipe for those, too.)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I just have to say I have such a hankering for macarons now!!!! I can't wait to get a kitchenaid (hello registry ;)) ) so I can bake all day!!!

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
I'm getting really tired of waiting. For whatever reason, the past few days have been particularly agonizing.

:(sad

wsucheerleader

Rough_Rock
I'm getting sick of waiting as well. my boyfriend and I had a bad argument last about having to wait for the ring. he says within 2 months but I've had to wait 2 months already. I'm just over waiting. Having to wait makes me feel like he is unsure of it or something.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
wsucheerleader|1365368321|3422127 said:
I'm getting sick of waiting as well. my boyfriend and I had a bad argument last about having to wait for the ring. he says within 2 months but I've had to wait 2 months already. I'm just over waiting. Having to wait makes me feel like he is unsure of it or something.

I'm in the same boat as you! My boyfriend says he wants to plan something but I know him, and he's not a planner. I just feel like he's procrastinating this whole thing. The ball's in his court though, so there's nothing that I can do but wait. I know that if I end up being unpleasant, he's going to question this whole thing even more though.

Hang in there! It will happen!

(Also, so sorry the Shockers lost to Louisville. I was rooting for the Shockers too! My bf would have come in at the top of his pool if Louisville had lost. :))

wsucheerleader

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1365370198|3422150 said:

I'm in the same boat as you! My boyfriend says he wants to plan something but I know him, and he's not a planner. I just feel like he's procrastinating this whole thing. The ball's in his court though, so there's nothing that I can do but wait. I know that if I end up being unpleasant, he's going to question this whole thing even more though.

(Also, so sorry the Shockers lost to Louisville. I was rooting for the Shockers too! My bf would have come in at the top of his pool if Louisville had lost. :))

Yeah I was upset that the Shockers lost and that stupid jump ball call but hey at least people know more than just KU from Kansas now.

My boyfriend isn't a planner either so I get annoyed that he says he is planning. He is an engineer who loves to take his time making decisions so I actually figured it would take him a long time to buy a ring. However, he bought the ring pretty quickly after we had looked a rings. My thing is if you bought the ring you've obviously made the decision that you want to marry me so I don't understand the hold up. Furthermore, I should not discuss these things right after a shocker loss and a few (or a lot) of drinks.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
wsucheerleader|1365380812|3422264 said:
Yeah I was upset that the Shockers lost and that stupid jump ball call but hey at least people know more than just KU from Kansas now.

My boyfriend isn't a planner either so I get annoyed that he says he is planning. He is an engineer who loves to take his time making decisions so I actually figured it would take him a long time to buy a ring. However, he bought the ring pretty quickly after we had looked a rings. My thing is if you bought the ring you've obviously made the decision that you want to marry me so I don't understand the hold up. Furthermore, I should not discuss these things right after a shocker loss and a few (or a lot) of drinks.

I've taken to wearing my ring around whenever I'm at home. If I'm not doing housework, I just take it out of the box and wear it around. I'm a little worried that I might get sick of the ring by the time we really get engaged, but oh well!

Don't worry too much, wsucheerleader! I think that you're very close! He probably is just waiting for a good proposal moment. I talked to my bf and he wants me to have a good story to tell.

In the meantime, we both need to relax and let things happen naturally. ;-)

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man... if only my boyfriend would give me any kind of timeline, I'd be happy.

Basically it could happen tomorrow, or 6 months from now. Or longer. I really have no clue. :(sad

Hnag in there girlfriend! We'll get through it together. :lol:

sortmon|1365370198|3422150 said:

Ditto. Waiting really stinks sometimes!

sortmon|1365437805|3422627 said:
I've taken to wearing my ring around whenever I'm at home. If I'm not doing housework, I just take it out of the box and wear it around. I'm a little worried that I might get sick of the ring by the time we really get engaged, but oh well!

Don't worry too much, wsucheerleader! I think that you're very close! He probably is just waiting for a good proposal moment. I talked to my bf and he wants me to have a good story to tell.

In the meantime, we both need to relax and let things happen naturally. ;-)

I'm so jealous! If the ring was in my house 1) I wouldn't know it, and 2) He wouldn't let me near it even if I did know it! :knockout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results