shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this setting please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if any of you remember but I recently bought a yellow/champagne/odd colour Asscher cut diamond (1.56ct). It looked dreadful next to w/gold or platinum so I have no choice but to set it in yellow gold.

Sooooooo, I decided I wanted a mixed metal setting (platinum and y/gold). This is a replica of a setting I''ve seen with some very subtle changes. The finished ring will have eagle claws and to protect the side trilliants will have two bars of white gold (not the yellow shown in the CADs) running underneath (hopefully not seen) to protect them and give the tension more stability.

The little single surprise diamonds have been used from an old ring of my Mums which makes this very special.

Imagine a yellow central stone .............. what do you think? Too 80s or ok? Here are the CADs.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stacy

Shiny_Rock
I think that setting is beautiful! I love the way the yellow flows into the platinum. WOW!!
30.gif

I don''t think it''s 80s at all... To me, it looks sleek and modern.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without protection for the trilliants. I love the look but it''s not practical.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With protection (they''ll be w/gold and hidden under the trilliants as much as possible).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one. The central diamond

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it.
30.gif
It’s so modern, clean, sleek yet interesting. LD, you aren’t worried about the pointy tip of the trillion? Although I really wanted claw prongs on my pointy tip, WF advised a V prongs.

ETA
I love the sans-bar look too. Oh well.
26.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 4:05:01 PM
Author: Chrono
I love it.
30.gif
It’s so modern, clean, sleek yet interesting. LD, you aren’t worried about the pointy tip of the trillion? Although I really wanted claw prongs on my pointy tip, WF advised a V prongs.
Great point (''scuse the pun!). The benchman is going to see what he can do to avoid V prongs and having the under protection means that this might be possible. I have said that if it proves impossible or they feel that the safety of the diamond will be compromised then I''ll revert to Vs!

BTW - what''s the ring in your Avatar? W
30.gif
W Does it have a thread???? If not, you MUST get loading up with photos!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that LD! I think it''s BEAUTIFUL! All swoopy and modern! Not 80s at all!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a thought: if he does the V prongs, will you still need the underbar support? If no, will you go this route instead in order to get the clean open profile view?

That’s my spessartite ring. I don’t think I started a thread on it but there are pictures of it here and there, embedded in spessartite, show me your garnets and probably in my collection thread.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s beautiful! Love the flow.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I did not catch what you were using for the side stones, since you call the color of the diamond "odd."

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I like it -- swoopy, intricately woven designs like that get me every time -- and I don''t think the finished ring will be ''80s at all (honestly it''s just CADs in general that give me that vibe, because they''re so clunky-looking that they remind me of primitive ''80s computer graphics; there is nothing about your ring itself that makes me think ''80s). Really love the surprise diamond on the side -- it''s so perfectly suspended between the threads of gold.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a seriously gorgeous setting.

I am amzed that you can be in an sort of doubt that the end product will be stunning
1.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very very pretty. Doesn''t remind me of the 80''s at all!

Cool info about the suprise diamonds. My only concern would be protecting the pointy tips of the side stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's NOT 80's!! That's a very nice design.

ETA: Chrono love the new avatar of your JW Spess!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!!! that trellis is amazingly gorgeous, and I love how the surprise diamond is placed and suspended instead of the traditional bezel....
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

ETA: and I have seen a very very warm color diamond asscher and the prongs were set in yellow gold! the step cuts refelect the gold even more, and the diamond was just amazing
30.gif
I have no doubt this will be a stunner as well!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks fantastic! Its looks like nothing I ever saw in the 80''s*lol*

-A

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this will turn out really beautiful!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the setting, it''s both classical and innovative, if such a thing is possible. Just magnificent.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the setting and the Trellis profile is one of my favourites. I love the diamond!
30.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/3/2009 4:01:25 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Without protection for the trilliants. I love the look but it''s not practical.

Cool.. I prefer the look without protection though, anyway how much more protection can it be with a little more gold?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I''m relieved! It looks like I won''t have to don my leg warmers to wear this ring then
9.gif

As for the points on the trilliants being protected - my benchman has said that whilst he can use eagle prongs for the trilliants, he''s worried that over time and if I knock the ring (especially one of the trilliants), because they are tension set by their very nature it makes them more vulnerable than he would like. By sitting the trilliants on two tiny wires underneath and on either side it gives him a basket (for want of a better word) for the trilliant to sit in and therefore he can secure them much better and they''ll be more resistant to knocks. I''m not particularly heavy on my rings BUT there''s always a first time and this does make sense. The underwires won''t show too much AND being in white gold they will help the trilliants (which are very white anyway) to reflect back more white - especially as the prongs are yellow gold. So all in all, it''s probably a win win situation!

Chrono - thank you for the links, going for a look now!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm threadjacking my own thread to say "OMG Chrono". Stunning doesn't come near to describe it AND over 5ct??? WOW! Love seeing all your other gemstones as well. You have a gorgeous collection.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, LD. I have long admired many from your collection, especially your Paraibas. We should do a trade one day.
27.gif

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks stunning- wow a yellow diamond in a yellow and white gold setting- sounds amazing!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/4/2009 9:16:38 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Well I''m relieved! It looks like I won''t have to don my leg warmers to wear this ring then
9.gif

As for the points on the trilliants being protected - my benchman has said that whilst he can use eagle prongs for the trilliants, he''s worried that over time and if I knock the ring (especially one of the trilliants), because they are tension set by their very nature it makes them more vulnerable than he would like. By sitting the trilliants on two tiny wires underneath and on either side it gives him a basket (for want of a better word) for the trilliant to sit in and therefore he can secure them much better and they''ll be more resistant to knocks. I''m not particularly heavy on my rings BUT there''s always a first time and this does make sense. The underwires won''t show too much AND being in white gold they will help the trilliants (which are very white anyway) to reflect back more white - especially as the prongs are yellow gold. So all in all, it''s probably a win win situation!

Chrono - thank you for the links, going for a look now!

O he has got a point- ''more resistant to knocks'' I didn''t think of that
21.gif
ya white gold sounds nicer than yellow for he underwires! Congrats on your upcoming new ring!

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Go for it, LD!
2.gif
This setting is absolutely gorgeous and so modern. Not 80''s at all
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results