shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking about a cab... show me yours?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
So, I''ve been wanting a cab, probably for a ring. Really, really, wanting a cab. I think part of it was Glitterata''s stick pin saga and part of it was megeve''s sugarloaf rings. And then there is the fact that I''ve always just wanted one. I mean, they''re so rounded! And yummy!

I have very little budget for this and can''t really afford gems, even cheaper ones, just to play with. And the thing is, I can''t decide if I want to try to find an under $150 chrysoberyl cat''s eye in a bluer tone (maybe like this one?) or a sugarloaf (maybe like this one).

(Thoughts and suggestions are welcome on stones, too.)

So, can you help me decide? Show me your cabs! And if there is already a thread on this, I''d love to be pointed towards it!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look, if you want something to play with, I can send you a couple of malachite cabochons. They are pretty cheap, but it is real malachite. I was thinking of making something out of them, but now that I have real projects, I do not want to spend time and money on it. They are nice, though, come from Russia. I wish I kept some "tiger''s eyes". I gave away everything I am not wearing on a daily basis. I won''t even charge you the price of mailing them.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ooohhh. I''m so glad you started this thread! I want a cab one day to put into a lotus ring. I think they are so cool. Why are sugarloves called that?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aren''t they just delicious
18.gif
gumdrop goodness. Have you seen Sally''s stuff?items she uses with Cabs? I''ve been itching for cab earrings
30.gif
myself. I haven''t figured out yet too many projects on my mind...lol can''t wait to see yours....

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2010 6:54:31 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Ooohhh. I''m so glad you started this thread! I want a cab one day to put into a lotus ring. I think they are so cool. Why are sugarloves called that?
Sugarloaf, or sugarloaves in the plural, is a tall conical shape that sugar was sold in until the late 19th century. Link Besides being a gemstone cut Link, the term is used for simiarly shaped mountains, hills, ridges, etc. Link

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My star rose quartz cab ring thread is here. Link I have a soft spot for cabs.
1.gif

StarRQ7049.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Flygirl, i really love your rose quartz ring!

Novel, i don''t think you could go wrong with either of those.....but they seem more like domed cabs rather than sugarloafs...... i particularly like the cats eye!

mz

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My certified white star-sapphire

Photo0656box.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I did not start a thread on this:)
ETA Oops sorry for the double post

Photo0656hand.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
double star

Photo0672double.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
on my hand

Photo0664hand.jpg

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love, love, love cabs! My mom has stack rings with a cab that my father had custom made, I've just always thought they looked so cool. I'm trying to source some for my own stack ring project right now. It's something I've always wanted to have made and Megeve's sugarloaves have definitely inspired me as well! I've been looking at the sugarloaf you posted, it's very pretty--I think it's be a fun stone.

empress

Shiny_Rock
I can't get a picture up = sorry...

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''m a big fan of cabs and sugarloaves. I like the two stones you posted and to others who posted their pics I love your jewelry.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
burberrygirl, is that an emerald cab in your avatar?

it''s simply gorgeous!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I love cabs & sugarloaves too! I would love to have a cab ring made by Sally at Heart of Water, maybe with aquamarine..

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Flygirl''s rose quartz and Burberry Girl''s cabs are among my absolute favourite cabs I''ve seen on PS. I''d like one of each. The other one I like is Canuk-gal''s fabulous prehnite. I''ve got one of those in the works with Julia K Taylor.

FG, you really need dangly earrings to mach that rose quartz.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

Woah, responses! I go away for 15 hours and look what happens... So many yummy pieces!

FlyGirl and Chictomato, those are great pieces! I love a bezel set cab - I love a bezel set anything. Those rings are so clean looking and the color of FlyGirl''s and the eye of Chictomato''s, they''re awesome.

D&T, I have to check her stuff out again, its been a couple weeks since I last did. Thats an interesting idea, to get a piece with a cab, and not just a cab. Might save me money and time that way... And I really want a Sally piece. I have to figure out priority here, whether its this or getting my teeny sapphire set in a pendant.

Crasru, seriously? That would be awesome! You''re so sweet!! Do you have any idea how people go about getting their email addresses to each other? I''m a little leery of posting any really identifying info....

Thanks, MZ! Your opinion means a lot. I think I particularly like the cat''s eye, too. I also think even though I loved megeve''s sugarloaf rings that the high tip of the stone might bother me, as I tend to hit things and myself a lot accidentally. So I was thinking domed might work better. I looked at the tourm cab again and realized that its probably darker than I want and not evenly colored. I''m really considering that cat''s eye but I feel like the return shipping will be a real pain, so I need to be sure.

Can anyone attest to what a cat''s eye looks like in real life vs. an internet photo?

Burberrygirl, thanks! Aren''t those rings TDF? They look like they could be Tiffany''s, I think!

Thanks, Oddoneout! I''m glad you like those ones, too!

Oooh, Virgoruby, that sounds neat! Do you have any more details on it? Which ring design? Is Sally sourcing the stone?

Gailey, wouldn''t we all?
31.gif
Your JKT sounds like it will be awesome.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of your two options I would definitely go for the Chrysoberyl for the following reasons (1) the colour is lovely and it''s striking (2) having a cats eye gives a gem an interesting "look". Whilst I like the sugarloaf, its colour is ok but not striking. It night look better IRL but will darken I''d think if you bezelled it.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with you, LD. I really like the color and I''ve been hankerin'' for a cat''s eye! And the tourmaline just isn''t what I''d be looking for, I think. I''d be worried about too dark, too.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

greenorb2.JPG

here is my cab--decent size....
9.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gg3.JPG

tourmaline cab

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
chictomato, how elegant your ring looks....both on and off your hand!

it appears a cab thread has been long over due.....

mz

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 7:41:02 AM
Author: rosetta
burberrygirl, is that an emerald cab in your avatar?

it''s simply gorgeous!
Yes it is, thank you so much!! Here is another picture:

FavEmPic.jpg

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 10:21:00 AM
Author: Gailey
Flygirl''s rose quartz and Burberry Girl''s cabs are among my absolute favourite cabs I''ve seen on PS. I''d like one of each. The other one I like is Canuk-gal''s fabulous prehnite. I''ve got one of those in the works with Julia K Taylor.

FG, you really need dangly earrings to mach that rose quartz.
Thank you Gailey! I agree with you about Flygirl''s rose quartz and Canuk-gals prehnite, they''re gorgeous!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 1:44:20 PM
Author: canuk-gal
tourmaline cab
Canuk-gal, your tourmaline cab is fabulous!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think I've ever posted pictures of any of my mother's jewelry, here are some of her stack rings:

StackringsAmEm.jpg

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Here is how they look on--the color is off on the ruby, the other picture shows it's color much better.

Momsemandamcab.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
all are lovely cabs!

mz

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Novel, if you and/or Crasru contact admin, maybe they can pass along email addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results