shape
carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Wow, so much happy news here! CONGRATULATIONS erica, Indy, and sbde!!!
36.gif

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations SBDE!!! Such exciting news here in the TTC thread - I''m so very happy for each of you and can''t wait to follow your journies!!!
36.gif
36.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

I happen to have an annual exam tomorrow and because DH and I are planning on TTC starting next month, I''m thinking that I''d like to use this as an opportunity to make sure everything is looking good and ask any important TTC questions. So, is there anything that you think I should make certain to ask?

Also, since moving to my current city, I''ve not found a dr. that i consistently go to - do you have any advice for finding a good ob/gyn? Thanks!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 3:41:02 PM
Author: lovelylulu

I happen to have an annual exam tomorrow and because DH and I are planning on TTC starting next month, I''m thinking that I''d like to use this as an opportunity to make sure everything is looking good and ask any important TTC questions. So, is there anything that you think I should make certain to ask?

Also, since moving to my current city, I''ve not found a dr. that i consistently go to - do you have any advice for finding a good ob/gyn? Thanks!

Hi Lovelylulu - I went for a pre-conception exam two months ago and my Dr. was the one asking ME the questions. I, of course, voiced some concerns, etc. but really I kind of knew everything she was telling me as far as temping and charting goes.
31.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
i''m in Canada so I can''t offer any advice, but I can tell you that when I went to my Dr to confirm my pregnancy, i had to make a decision right away whether I wanted a OB/GY or a midwife; as we cannot have both here. I have no idea what it''s like where you live, but have you considered these options?

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys! Well, today is Day 3 or 4 of having a definite but not-dark-enough test line on my OPK. I think this must mean something because I didn''t have any lines the first 2-3 days I used it. Hopefully I''ll know more soon! Also, I have a question about checking CM. Today mine was watery (switched from creamy), but it was slightly milky tinged. Does that mean that it''s watery or creamy? It wasn''t stretchy though. Thanks!

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
In the US one has either an ob or a nurse midwife (not both) too. However, you can have a doula in addition to an ob (that''s a nonmedical person trained to help comfort and ease you through during labor). Midwives are really only appropriate for low-risk pregnancies though, since they are nurse practioners. I haven''t decided which one I''m having yet.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
While you wouldn''t simultaneously see a midwive and an OB, you can switch between midwives and OBs the same way that you could switch between midwives or between OBs if you weren''t happy with the one you were seeing. Most won''t see you until about 8 weeks, from what I''ve read, so it would probably be a good time to do some research as to what kind of care you''d ideally want the most before choosing one. I''d avoid making assumptions about being high-risk or low-risk before talking to a midwife, if you''d otherwise be interested in seeing them. Maternal age, multiples, VBAC (etc) don''t necessarily make someone risk out, and they''d have better ideas of what they feel comfortable handling and what they''d like to refer to an OB.

Some reading recommendations if you''re trying to figure out what kind of birth professional you''d like to see:
Misconceptions, by Naomi Wolf (really good, by the same woman who wrote The Beauty Myth)
A Thinking Woman''s Guide to a Better Birth, by Henci Goer

And The Business of Being Born (linky) is a really good if you''re more in the mood for a movie.

Also, there are two main types of midwives. CNMs (Certified Nurse Midwives) tend to follow a more medical model of care and are sometimes in an office with an OB, so that if you risk out of a midwife birth you don''t need to find an OB and switch offices. CPMs (Certified Professional Midwives) have other designations and are likely who you''d want if you''re interested in a home birth.

Peonygirl, I had to look your CM question up a couple of days ago. In the past, I''ve recorded it as watery because with avoiding you''re supposed to be as conservative as possible. But re-reading TCOYF, it seems to fall under creamy - "Milky or cloudy, white or yellow. Creamy or lotiony. Wet, watery, or thin. When separating fingers, doesn''t form peaks, but remains smooth like hand lotion." The description of EWCM is characterized by stretch, slipperyness, and lubricative feeling.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Blenheim! I appreciate the help!

I also liked the Business of Being Born, even though it was very one-sided. I like the lower-intervention approach to childbirth, but I would still never have a homebirth because of time-sensitive birthing complications like cord prolapse and placenta accreta. I found it interesting that they listed all of these major ones and then never actually discussed them. :) Still, a worthwhile movie to see!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eeeeeek, I am so excited for you Indy, Erica and Sbde!!!! Yays from Skippers here
36.gif
36.gif
Congrats, Wonderful News!!!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome, Peony! It is fairly one-sided, but I really liked it. Since HB is as safe or safer than hospital birth for low-risk women, since the local hospital is too intervention happy for my comfort, and since we''re 5 minutes from the hospital in case something starts to go wrong, I''d personally like a home birth.

Indy
, I''m curious as to how your midwife dated your pregnancy. Did you ovulate at the first temp jump?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, so much activity while I was gone!

I can't believe it took you guys a WHOLE WEEK to notice I was missing! LOL! That is a shot to the ego I'll tell you.

Indy, erika, sbde CONGRATS!!!!!!!! So many BFPs in one month! Craaaazy!

My trip was great, it was so nice to see my friend and do some research.

Here are some funny pics I took on my trip. This is where Seamus decided he wanted to sleep while I was getting packed! LOL

seamusfunnyboy2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And this is my faint pink line on the FRER hpt I took this morning at 11 DPO...

FPLJune186am.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
...it is much clearer in person! I can't believe it. But I THOUGHT I was pg for a number of reasons:

1) I had a really great ovuation with lots of fertile CF, a clear temp shift, a big temp dip at 5 DPO (which suggests a high estrogen cycle = more common in conception cycles), and the SAME TEMP to the 100th of a degree celsius every morning for the last 5 days! Although not a pregnancy sign that I know if, this just struck me as odd.

2) I couldn't eat sweets the last two days. Very unlike me.

3) I have had tonnes on watery CF the last 2 days, which can also precede AF, but is often an early pg sign

and 4) funny twingy cramps the last 2 - 3 days.

I ran in to tell DH, he said, "Yippeee!" and then went back to sleep! hahaha I couldn't possibly sleep right now! My EDD is February 28, 2009.

ETA: This does NOT feel real AT ALL!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 6:41:19 AM
Author: Blenheim
You're welcome, Peony! It is fairly one-sided, but I really liked it. Since HB is as safe or safer than hospital birth for low-risk women, since the local hospital is too intervention happy for my comfort, and since we're 5 minutes from the hospital in case something starts to go wrong, I'd personally like a home birth.

Blenheim, for all of the same reasons I too will be having a midwife assisted home birth! Midwives are VERY conservative when making the decision to go to the hospital if there are complications, so I feel very comfortable with that decision!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!! I just can''t believe it DD - that''s such in incredible news!!! Wishing you all the best and lots of sticky dust!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
emotion-19.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
HOLY CRAP! DD! YOU TOO?!?

And I noticed you were gone. I just didn't want you to feel stalked.
2.gif

Y'know, from the reading I've been doing, the chances of getting knocked up fast if you get the days just right (or enjoy some F-statistics daily!) are way way way higher, and I guess this is evidence of that.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Blen my midwife suggested a due date from the 1st day of the last cycle. I gather that it might be a little later if it was the second egg day. I think they can maybe figure this out from hormone levels or something? I dunno. But she said not to come in till week 7 or 8, unless I have a problem. Which is fine with me.
2.gif

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
DD - can you post your chart so I can see your patterns? If you don''t mind?
5.gif

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
One last question - DD and Indy - did you BD everyday during your fertile window or every other day?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
What I''ve read in all the most up to date stuff (and on FF) is that you should do EVERY day during that time unless there''s an issue with the ''boys''.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 8:39:11 AM
Author: blushingbride
One last question - DD and Indy - did you BD everyday during your fertile window or every other day?
Hee hee... Indy doesn''t like to divulge her BD habits, but I am fine with posting it on my chart!
19.gif
See below. I think research suggests that lots of BD in the fetile window is probably the biggest determinant of getting PG, like Indy mentioned. This was my third cycle off BCP, but it was the first cycle that I had a strong ovualtion and proper CF.

I still can''t believe it. I am trying to get excited but also acknowledge the possibility that chemical pregnancies are common with BFPs this early, as are mc. But I figure I will be disappointed whether I get excited or not, so I am choocing excitement!
3.gif

dreamerspgchart.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I know what you mean about being in disbelief. I''ve PO-like 15-S. It only started to feel really real yesterday evening. But I POAS again this morning, juuuust to be sure.
2.gif

Besides, I ordered soooo many HCG strips and LH strips. May as well get some use out of them! And seeing lines is FUN!

The fatiiiigue starting settling in last night. We''ve decided to try going to bed at 9:30. I''m also upping my protein and iron intake (bring on the black beans!) because I think that will help me feel pep-py-er.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

DD!

congratulations!!! that is such fantastic news!! i''m really thrilled for everyone and now i''m thinking that there might be something to this temping thing
3.gif
i love how you nonchalently post a picture of the pup and then follow it up with a picture of a POSITIVE LINE!!

thanks blen and others for talking about the positives of having a midwife. i''ll have to give taht some serious thought, but right now i know that i wouldn''t want to have a home birth. i can definitely see myself laboring at home for as long as possible, but i just can''t see myself giving birth at home...

i had a fun little conversation last night w/ DH. We''re lying in bed and he''s like "so when do you want to start to try" and i say that i thought we were going to begin in july. and he responds "well, since it might take a couple of months maybe we should start a little early" so cute and really nice to know that he is absolutely on the same page as i am. so perhaps there is still a bit more dust left over...

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 9:28:55 AM
Author: lovelylulu

DD!

congratulations!!! that is such fantastic news!! i''m really thrilled for everyone and now i''m thinking that there might be something to this temping thing
3.gif
i love how you nonchalently post a picture of the pup and then follow it up with a picture of a POSITIVE LINE!!

thanks blen and others for talking about the positives of having a midwife. i''ll have to give taht some serious thought, but right now i know that i wouldn''t want to have a home birth. i can definitely see myself laboring at home for as long as possible, but i just can''t see myself giving birth at home...

i had a fun little conversation last night w/ DH. We''re lying in bed and he''s like ''so when do you want to start to try'' and i say that i thought we were going to begin in july. and he responds ''well, since it might take a couple of months maybe we should start a little early'' so cute and really nice to know that he is absolutely on the same page as i am. so perhaps there is still a bit more dust left over...
Awwee..too funny. My DH also was asking last night and for the 100th time I told him next month while we''re in Europe (he''s been aware of this plan for months now).
5.gif
Then, he grabbed his iPhone to figure out what month our baby would be due if we got pregnant on our first try. How cute? And you''re right Lovely...it IS so great to know we are on the same page and both ready to do this together!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Just keep in mind lulu, the bumper-crop of PSers getting knocked up on the first try!
2.gif
We were thinking the same thing ''Oh, it will take a few months!'' and then BAM!

So we just realized that we won''t be able to visit our families at Christmas time this year because I''ll be toooo pregnant.
39.gif
It''s a looooooong plane trip and I''ll be sneaking up on 32 weeks at that point, if I counted correctly.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks DD - you''re right - that is a great chart! What do the X''s mean under BD?

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats to DD! We are also going to TTC our first cycle off BC, so that gives me hope!!

Also, I wanted to ask you ladies if it''s worth getting the upgrade to VIP FF membership after my trial is over. Are the more extensive programs worth it? Also, if I become pregnant while using it, are the pregnancy features any good? Thanks! :)

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I upgraded to VIP three days before I got the BFP
20.gif
. I think the best feature is that you can ask fertility experts for personal advice if you''re worried about anything, and get a quick response. For $5.50 / month, I thought it was worth it. For $5.50/day? Maybe not.
2.gif
But who knew?

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
thank you snlee, blushingbride, Skippy123 and dreamer_dachsie!

CONGRATS to you dreamer!!
36.gif
am thrilled for you - sending tons of sticky vibes your way (and the way of all us newly preggo ladies)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results