shape
carat
color
clarity

The Devil is Wearing a Fur Coat Tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have just placed my deposit for my custom setting.

You read that right. And this time I''m not joking.
2.gif

Here''s the scoop.

The lovely, talented, and extremely personable Ocean Pearlman will be making me my setting.

It''s going to be a handmade custom halo setting with a high polish 2 mm shank in 90 Platinum / 10 Iridium (Pt900 / IridPlat)..

The halo is going to be octagonal, set with four bead hand pulled and set micro pave. The melee will be single cut .0067 carat (just over one half point), 1.15 mm G-H SI-1 stones.

The halo will look like a more delicate (smaller melee per my explicit request, I kept talking Ocean down on Melee size-- strange experience for her as most people was BIGGER stones, not smaller ones) version of the Harry Winston cushion halo (only octagonal). No metal edging from top view at all. And tiny beads holding each stone. Diamonds set at approximately a 30 degree angle.

IMG_2615.JPG

Four claw prongs, one at each corner a la Leon Mage or Harry Winston.

I''m SO INCREDIBLY excited.

Both Wink and Ocean are just fabulously amazingly wonderful.

I clicked with Ocean from the first minute we started talking (Monday), and when today Wink''s qoute came in, I just had a feeling that this was the right path. It just left RIGHT.

I''m thrilled.

Special thanks to Neil Beaty and Storm for helping me understand different fabrication methods for jewlery. Niel will be appraising my diamond unset for me soon, and eventually the completed ring.

SO... next week my ring will go to Neil, then to Ocean... then the process will start. Ocean gave me a 4 week leadtime. But I''ve actually told her I prefer to have it before Thanksgiving, and that as long as I have it by then, I''ll be happy. Don''t want her to stress herself out over this. I''ve waited this long... what''s a few weeks!

SO... Surprised????
9.gif

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Coming out of a longish period of lurkdom to say YAY! YAY! YAY!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Cannot wait to see the ring!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am so excited for you (and proud). Can''t wait to see it! It is going to be lovely!!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, I am excited for you!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG!!!! YAY for YOU Gypsy!!!! I am thrilled for you, it will be fantabulous!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for sharing in my excitement. It''s been building since Monday and I''ve been holding it in... I wanted to post about it SO bad, but didn''t want to raise anyone''s hopes or worse, cry wolf again. John was totally shocked that I was finally coming up to scratch, and so quickly after consulting with Ocean.

Obviously you all will see what her work is like when I post my setting pics. But I can tell you that she''s very knowledgable, a goldsmith as well as a designer, and is VERY flexible. She can do build to print for micromanagers, a colloaborations (like my project) or a full on custom design from scratch with little to no input from the client... and her personality allows her to do it all without letting ego get involved. Which was so refreshing

I''ve seen examples of her other work, and she does lovely work, as do some of the other designers on here. But I have to tell you its her personality and wit that really just amazed me.

I was questioning her about her fabrication methods and second guessing things, and she just calmly answered all my questions, and proposed compromises where I was uncomfortable without my having to ask her to offer them. She really listened to me when I was telling her about my vision and came up with several ways of achieving it. She never got defensive... never pulled the "I''m a designer how date to dicate to me and question me" routine.

She''s going to be doing some sketches for me and I will get to post them here for you guys to see and get a better idea of what we have planned!

I have absolutely NO doubts about this choice. Which is really what I was waiting for.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, Gypsy! Very excited to follow this project and i hope all turns out to your liking/LOVING! I''m sure it will be beautiful...I''ll be on tenterhooks waiting to see the end result, of course!
36.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!!
36.gif
So happy for you Gypsy! The new setting sounds beautiful! I hope you absolutely LOVE the new setting! I can''t wait to see pictures! And I can''t wait to see it IRL!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2007 12:58:47 AM
Author: Gypsy
Thank you all for sharing in my excitement. It''s been building since Monday and I''ve been holding it in... I wanted to post about it SO bad, but didn''t want to raise anyone''s hopes or worse, cry wolf again. John was totally shocked that I was finally coming up to scratch, and so quickly after consulting with Ocean.

Obviously you all will see what her work is like when I post my setting pics. But I can tell you that she''s very knowledgable, a goldsmith as well as a designer, and is VERY flexible. She can do build to print for micromanagers, a colloaborations (like my project) or a full on custom design from scratch with little to no input from the client... and her personality allows her to do it all without letting ego get involved. Which was so refreshing

I''ve seen examples of her other work, and she does lovely work, as do some of the other designers on here. But I have to tell you its her personality and wit that really just amazed me.

I was questioning her about her fabrication methods and second guessing things, and she just calmly answered all my questions, and proposed compromises where I was uncomfortable without my having to ask her to offer them. She really listened to me when I was telling her about my vision and came up with several ways of achieving it. She never got defensive... never pulled the ''I''m a designer how date to dicate to me and question me'' routine.

She''s going to be doing some sketches for me and I will get to post them here for you guys to see and get a better idea of what we have planned!

I have absolutely NO doubts about this choice. Which is really what I was waiting for.
I can''t wait to see the sketches; yay Gypsy!!!
36.gif
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
reading this a 6th time....
am I in a time warp is it April 1st and no one told me?

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
This is spectacular news Gypsy. Just imagine this beauty on your finger soon. How utterly exciting. You seem so jazzed that''s so great. Well done
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, your ring sounds FAB. I can''t wait to see it!

And I really hope this all goes smoothly for you.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is just wonderful gypsy...i thought you were holding off until next year so this is a fab surprise. it''s going to be such a fun process to watch unfold and the design sounds amazing!!!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a fantastic new chapter! The ring sounds divine and you totally deserve divine!

YEA!!!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
How exciting for you Gypsy!!! The design sounds incredible!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
congrats! glad it worked out.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this the same designer who Cehra had the problems with? I can''t recall but the name sounds familiar.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Maisie, it is the same designer.

Gypsy, I am so excited for you! Can''t wait to see sketches and follow the process!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

Yes, this is Cehra''s designer. But the problems were communication based, and it is actually thanks to Cehra''s repeated urging for me to contact Ocean that this whole thing came about. So I owe Cehra a big thank you as well! She''s been emphatically telling me that I should contract Ocean, and well... she was right.

As for waiting till next year. Yes, that was the plan. But the price of platinum keeps rising as does the price of diamonds, and everytime I look the things I wanted were further out of reach. So, John and I had decided that IF I found what I was looking for, then we''d go ahead with the project now.

I also owe a special thanks to Bill Pearlman. Who was getting in a Beverly K setting for me, and was going to send it out on Memo for me to examine at home. I did tell him from the get go that I was leaning toward custom, provided that it was handmade custom and not CAD and cast. I just didn''t know if that was going to happen and the Beverly K had many of the elements I wanted.

Over the years, and I kid you not, Bill has always told me not to settle for less than what I want, both in terms of quality and design. He was right. He is a wonderful man, and my only regret is that I wasn''t able to get my setting from him, because after all of his assistance I would have loved to go through with a purchase from him. But then again... we still don''t have our wedding bands, so there''s time.
31.gif
But he is a so much more than a vendor, he is a trusted friend.

And no, Storm... this is for real. Pinch yourself! AND... Neil will be providing me with an ASET and some other images of my diamond when he appraises it so that I can see, since my asscher is pre-pricescope, how it measures up. So stay tuned for those as well.

YAY! YAY! YAY!

SO happy.

Okay have to go do some work. Got meetings most of today.

THANK YOU ALL for your support and for your good wishes!

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!
36.gif
The ring sounds absolutely delish''! I can''t wait to see it!
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''m in shock!! I don''t believe my eyes!!!
36.gif
36.gif
Please pass the smelling salts!!!!
36.gif

This is such great news!!!! Way to go, Gypsy!!!!!
35.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy I cant wait to see it, sounds devine!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this is so exciting!!! I''m happy you are getting it done, I really cant wait to see how it turns out, it sounds like it will be gorgeous!!!!
Congrats!!!!!!!!!
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is one hell of a gorgeous setting! I''m glad your redo is finally underway!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Your thread title *CRACKED ME UP!*, Gypsy!!! Apparently you must wonder if H-LL froze over when you finally decided??!
11.gif
LOL, too, tooooooooo funny!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Now, about the setting choice... OHMY OHMY OHMY!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
It''s gonna be GORGEOUS and you are gonna be soooooooooo happy! It will be fun to follow the progress and then of course, we will need no less than 75,000 photos of the finished ring!!! YAY!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Oh, it is gonna be so killer! Aren''t you so glad that you have waited and not "settled"???!! Oh, that ring is gonna be worth every SECOND of the wait, that''s for sure! YUM!

BTW, side question here... but is Ocean related to Bill (Pearlman) at all??! I have wondered that?!

SO -- congrats, girlfriend! We are so excited for you! xoxoxox

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2007 11:13:57 AM
Author: Gypsy

And no, Storm... this is for real. Pinch yourself!
pinch pinch nope still dont believe it!!!
I must have slept till April 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hehehehehe
congrates!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2007 5:11:04 PM
Author: Lynn B
Your thread title *CRACKED ME UP!*, Gypsy!!! Apparently you must wonder if H-LL froze over when you finally decided??!
11.gif
LOL, too, tooooooooo funny!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Now, about the setting choice... OHMY OHMY OHMY!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
It's gonna be GORGEOUS and you are gonna be soooooooooo happy! It will be fun to follow the progress and then of course, we will need no less than 75,000 photos of the finished ring!!! YAY!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Oh, it is gonna be so killer! Aren't you so glad that you have waited and not 'settled'???!! Oh, that ring is gonna be worth every SECOND of the wait, that's for sure! YUM!

BTW, side question here... but is Ocean related to Bill (Pearlman) at all??! I have wondered that?!

SO -- congrats, girlfriend! We are so excited for you! xoxoxox
I'm glad you liked the thread title. I figured you'd all be as surprised as I AM that I've actually MADE A DECISION!

I'm glad everyone likes the setting choice. I personally am really happy with it. I love that it's going to have a plain shank, I wanted something low maintenance that would just be polished to a shine. No platining, no pave to fall out of the shank. And I wanted the shank to be comfortable, because my current one is very comforable.

I'm really thrilled about the single cuts! And the point size of the melee. I really did not want a distinct stones look, just a sparkly delicate frame around my asscher. And as little metal as possible. The entire ring is only going to contain 16 -18 points of diamonds. Which is just right.

I'll get a sketch next week and then Ocean will be getting my diamond around the 12th of September.

There's no relation between the two that I know of. Ocean is located in AZ.

I'm excited too. I can't wait to have it, and to be able to post the billions of pics I will no doubt be taking of it.
emotion-19.gif

LOL @Storm.

Isaku-- I hope the shock has worn off. FG and snlee-- you HAVE to come to the GTG that follows my re-set... I would really love your opinions on it.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Gypsy!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
SQUEE!!!! And what a Happy Early B-day it is fellow Virgo!!!

Okay -- I have some questions. The 2mm band: comfort fit? Tapered at all toward the stone or the same mm width all the way around?? Will a wedding band fit flush? Have you decided about a band?? Will the band be knife edged at all or rounded or pipe cut or some combo?? How thick??

Love Pt900 -- has been very durable for me (don''t know what the 10% in my mix is though)

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco honey, I''ve been waiting for you to comment, you''ve always been so diligent in helping me with my quest, thank you.
36.gif
In fact many of the details I''ve already included were specifically provided with you in mind.

Ocean and I just talked about the band today. We actually decided on a 3 mm band tapering to 2 mm where it meets the halo. Rounded band. Not knife edged. The underwires (eight of them one at each of the eight corners of the halo, see side view of Kaleigh''s Quest halo for details) will meet in a 3 mm square box below the culet. So I will not be able to wear a completely flush band as there is that taper. But a band will fit flush against the bottom of the shank (where its 3 mm) and the box (also 3mm). I''m thinking the gap will look a little like an airline. Especially if I get two bands.

The outside of the halo (visible from the side and from the bottom) will be finished with bright cutting to give the effect of sparkle and shine.

That''s all I''ve got so far. I''m planning to see how the finished ring looks with the baguette eternity band FMIL gave me before deciding on a band. But if I don''t care for the two together I will most likely get a 2 mm rounded pave eternity (or two
11.gif
) the wedding band.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results