shape
carat
color
clarity

Superstitious? Do you let others try on your ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well this is certainly new to me!!! I have never heard of anyone tapping on someones center stone EVER!!! What they are looking for is beyond me!!!
6.gif

Linda

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 3:43:42 PM
Author: Love in Bloom
Bad luck? - maybe.
Bad inclusion? - Most likely.
Haha, well said!

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
When my husband and I first got engaged (years ago) the only person that asked to try on my ring was my (future) SIL. She has a 2 ct. oval diamond with trillions on the side and was already married... Anyway, she asked me if she could try on my 1.2 RB than proceeded to take off her ring. She then handed me her ring and told me to try it on. I don''t know if she wanted me to notice the size difference or what but it was very akward. I held on to it for her but did not want it on my finger.
11.gif

A good friend of mine recently tried on my ring though, few months later they are engaged, so there must be some upside!
36.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Usually when a friend makes a comment about my ring or asks to see it, I''ll slide it off and hand it to them even if they didn''t ask to try it. I''m not superstitious at all when it comes to that.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not superstitious at all. Anyone who wants to see it, that''s fine with me.

I do ask to other''s rings but only if I know them and know that it''s okay. Yes, this does lead to the carat weight question, but what''s the matter with that? I now know that I don''t suit a 1.5 carat radiant set in yellow gold including yellow gold prongs
2.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
I let whoever asks try my ring on, as long as I know them. I probably wouldn''t hand it to a stranger, but a friend? Sure! Why not.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 5:27:45 PM
Author: Addy
Yes, this does lead to the carat weight question, but what''s the matter with that?
I wrote a long response to this and deleted it. We are all different and I respect that.

Personally I find it offensive and uncouth. (See my earlier comment about trying on another ladies bustier
26.gif
)

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
What I meant to say to the initial OP question was this:

Hell to the No!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 3:49:16 PM
Author: surfgirl
Date: 11/5/2007 2:16:37 PM

Author: sap483

No one has really asked me to try on my ring besides my best friend who has to try it on every time she sees me. What really annoys me though is the ppl that ask to see it and then touch the center stone repeatedly. I absolutely HATE that- there''s no need to touch the diamond, no need.

Sufgirl- definitely DON''T let anyone try your beauty on- if something happened to it, I would cry (as I''m sure counteless other Psers would too).

I KNOW! What IS it with people TAPPING on your center stone? Do they think it''s like a car or something and they''re kicking the tires? Do they think a fake will ''tap'' differently? I honestly am baffled beyond belief with people ask to see your ring, and they grab your hand and tap the stone with their fingernail. SO weird. My doctor did this the other day and I just didn''t know what to do.
33.gif
Prob''ly the same ones pressing their fingers on photos asking, "Whos'' thaaat?" or "Where''s thaaaat?" oy
38.gif

I don''t mind if people try my stuff on- I''m not superstitious and I don''t believe letting someone try on your ring can jinx it or bring bad luck... rings are just metal and rocks- no juju connected to ''em. I do mind if they are touching the stones and getting them dirty.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 6:00:09 PM
Author: Steel

Date: 11/5/2007 5:27:45 PM
Author: Addy
Yes, this does lead to the carat weight question, but what''s the matter with that?
I wrote a long response to this and deleted it. We are all different and I respect that.

Personally I find it offensive and uncouth. (See my earlier comment about trying on another ladies bustier
26.gif
)
Yup, different strokes for different folks...

While I wouldn''t care for someone to ask to try on my bustier (is that the same thing as a general undergarment?), I wouldn''t mind if they asked where I got it and how much....IF they were in the market for one themselves. To me, it''s all about intent. Some women don''t know what a 1 carat well cut stone looks like. I''m fine with educating those who really want to be educated. I don''t care for nosy.

Also, while I don''t particularly care for the question "how much is it" when it comes to e-rings, I don''t mind answering it if I feel it''s a sincere inquiry. I probably don''t mind because we didn''t spend a ton (IMO), but if it were very expensive by local standards, I''d probably be uncomfortable.

The above topic has been addressed here plenty of times before and everyone has an opinion. I can understand all sides of the discussion.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 6:06:32 PM
Author: TravelingGal
The above topic has been addressed here plenty of times before and everyone has an opinion. I can understand all sides of the discussion.
emotion-16.gif

ETA: Consider it Zipped!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not superstitious, and I''d be flattered if someone wanted to try it on. People around here would never ask that though.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think I''d let a stranger try it on or even touch it for that matter, but I definitely let my friends try it on! I always think back to the days of longing for a ring - staring at other girls bling and wishing I could....just....try....it....on! So I figure that others feel the same way and I try to help them out!!

I don''t really care, but I do ''prefer'' they try it on their right hand. Funny - I had one friend grab it and put it right on her left hand and held her hand up to stare at it. Being honest? That made me feel uncomfortable. She wasn''t admiring MY ring, she was picturing it as HER ring instead. That is not my cup of tea.

But I definitely don''t think it''s bad luck...just maybe bad taste in certain circumstances.
26.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 12:22:06 PM
Author: Steel
Date: 11/5/2007 11:35:22 AM

Author: bee*

Over here, everyone tries on your ring, puts it on their finger and turns it 3 times towards their hearts and you''re meant to make a wish while you''re doing it.

Bee and I are in Ireland and I HATE this. HAte HatE HaTe it!
29.gif

I have said ''no'' so many times now that I no longer feel funny saying it (-well nearly all the time).

I hate it for 2 reasons: 1. Get your mitts off! It is my ring and likes my or DH''s vibes only, please do not pollute my ring. 2. It leads to the alkward questions, how much did it cost? How big is it? And other questions which in improper surroundings (ie not close friends) I find embarrasing. (But to clarify, Family and Friends are never invited to try it on but if they ask 1 time out of 1000 I might agree)

I would NEVER ask to try somebodys ring on.

(Analogy: Wow that is a lovely bustier, can I try it on? Wow what a great suit, can I try it on?
38.gif
)

(Brown paper bag time.......Breathe......nobody is violating my ring..nobody is violating my ring....in...out...breathe
39.gif
)

Never heard of the superstitions before but HELL NO would I ask someone to try on their engagement ring or would I let someone try on my future baby
6.gif

My (future) Ring MY (future) engagement go get your own :razz:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m really weird about germs and people touching my hands. I don''t mind taking my ring off and letting someone try it on though.... probably just family and close friends. I don''t think its the done thing where I live to try each others rings on.

My son''s girlfriend was looking at my ring and I offered her to try it on. She put it on her wedding finger and I felt all mushy... like ''Oh - she might wear a ring from Tom at some point'' .......
1.gif

sputat

Rough_Rock
I''m definitely not superstitious about these things. When I first got engaged, I handed my ring over to friends/families who asked to see it. Some tried it on, a pinkie maybe since it''s a size 4. I remember I went to my neighborhood dive bar in SF and after my regular bartender congratulated me, I took off the ring so he could see it. When he handed it back to me, he told me never to do that again.
5.gif

I''ve had the tap-tap done to my ring too. I dunno what "the tapping test" is supposed to prove but it does make me err.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Eh. I''m not superstitious. I actually had to give my ring to a friend this summer when I decided last minute to go tubing off a boat. She was all worried about the superstition, but I''d never heard of it. Besides I like showing off my ring and seeing it on other people''s fingers.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, now that i think about it more, I would rather take off my ring and let someone get a good look at it than hold out my hand and have them touching my clammy/cold/sweaty/wet-from-washing fingers. It''s just sort of awkward.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Yep I hate it, but I am too weak to say no.
15.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE having my GFs try it on!! Out of my 8 GFs, only 2 others have rings...so my ring is a favourite when we get together. I love seeing it (both of them) from a distance (SUCH a different perspective).

One of my friends in particular is in LOVE with my ring, which I very complimentary. Usually, she''ll wear it for a good hour before she''s ready to part with it. haha.

She keeps a photo of her ''dream ring'' on her desk at work. She does the whole "the secret" book thing thing with it...she imagines how it would feel to have it! She''s hilarious about it!

Glow

Rough_Rock
I initially felt my ring was too sacred to let anyone try on, too! But I guess that goes away after a few months. It's still sacred, but I realize that the meaning behind it is what is so precious. So I've let people at work try it on because the girls beg to see it. As long as it's carpeted (because a friend of mine was showing it off and the person DROPPED it) and I trust them... SURE!

The only time I didn't feel comfortable was when a frenemy asked to try it on. I felt she was bad karma and I was so caught off guard I said yes. Had to "cleanse" the ring afterward! Weird, but true. I put it on a Bible and everything! Ha ha.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I know that a lot of women won''t try on someone elses engagement ring becuase they believe that to try one on before being engaged means they will never get engaged. Butwhat superstition is there to let someone try on their ring? I''ve never heard of any.

As for me, I don''t care if friends or work colleagues or people I know try it on. I will never let a stranger try it on. Why on earth would I hand over an $8k item to someone I don''t know from a bar of soap??

A friend of mine has three gorgeous diamond rings (engagement, eternity and dress ring) and I try them on every now and then because I love them and she has no problem letting my try them on and lust after them! She even says I can have them if I want - on the condition that I take what comes with them - her husband!!
31.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 4:05:08 PM
Author: Sparkster

A friend of mine has three gorgeous diamond rings (engagement, eternity and dress ring) and I try them on every now and then because I love them and she has no problem letting my try them on and lust after them! She even says I can have them if I want - on the condition that I take what comes with them - her husband!!
31.gif
LOL!!!

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 4:32:06 PM
Author: mela lu

Date: 11/6/2007 4:05:08 PM
Author: Sparkster

31.gif
LOL!!!
That''s too funny!
9.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I dont mind if close friends ask to try on my jewelry but im particular about letting them only if they havent got chemicals like gasoline or bleach(two things that should not come in contact with gold or silver) on their hands that day.I have had customers ask to try on my personal jewelry at work thinking they are for sale,but i kindly decline because my insurance will not cover loss or damage if i willfully hand my jewelry to a stranger and its damaged or stolen.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me, it''s halfway between superstition and practicality ... I wouldn''t take my e-ring or wedding band off for someone else to try on because it would feel like it was somehow diluting the symbolism, but, for that matter, I also wouldn''t take off the ring that my folks gave me for my 21st b-day which I''ve worn nonstop for the past 7 years ... it''s just too important to me.

On the purely practical side ... when we were still e-ring shopping, my family jeweler gave me three rings to bring home to show my then-FI. My roommate wandered in while we were examining them and asked if she could see one ... a carat+ D VVS1 emerald-cut solitaire. She''s an awesome girl, but not a big jewelry-wearer, and the second it was *in* her hands, it was *out* of her hands and halfway across the room, bouncing merrily across the hardwood floor. Luckily, the ring was fine, but the next ten minutes checking it for chips or dings under the loupe ... oy! After that, all emotion aside, it''s just not an experience I''d care to repeat: the rings stay ON the fingers!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I am flattered when someone asks to try my ring on. And I love passing around rings at PS GTGs, so much fun! And it''s fun for me to see my ring on other''s hands, and vice versa. The rings always look different when they are on your hand, even different than when you are just holding them or gazing at them on another hand. I have no superstitiousness about other''s trying on my rings.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I''m with SD Lady and turtledazzle. My rings are a size 3.5 so few people can try it on their ring finger. I''m not superstitious at all about my rings anyways. I''d let friends try on my rings is they ask. I have and love swapping rings at PS GTGs.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does not bother me for close friends and family to try my ring on, but I would not hand it over to a stranger.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Yes, definitely.

I find it fun to see my ring on someone else''s finger.....it gives me a completely different visual perspective and allows others to see what they like or don''t like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results