shape
carat
color
clarity

Superstitious? Do you let others try on your ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

areagirlsbestfriend

Rough_Rock
I wasn''t sure where to post this topic ... hopefully this is the appropriate forum! I''m really interested in everyone''s ideas on this.

Do you PSers (those who are engaged) let others try your ring on? Alternatively, LIWs -- do you ever ask to try on an engaged friend''s (or coworker, or whatever) ring?

I''ve heard it''s "bad luck" to let others try it on during the engagement, but I''m really not sure if I believe this. I''ve been asked to have my ring tried on and I declined .. not because I believe in bad luck for the marriage, but because the ring is such a sentimental piece to me and I don''t want anyone but me wearing it.

Thoughts?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Over here, everyone tries on your ring, puts it on their finger and turns it 3 times towards their hearts and you''re meant to make a wish while you''re doing it. I hate it when people try it on though- I get nervous in case they drop it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use to not be superstitious and then one of my friends wore my ring for half the day just for fun and then soon after I lost my ring never to be found again
emcry.gif
So now I don''t take chances.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not superstitious and offered to let close friends try on the ring if they showed more than a passing interest. I don''t ask to try on rings, but a friend of mine has a Neil Lane ring that she offered to have me try on.

I just view it as sharing information...some of my friends may be interested in an upgrade someday and won''t know if they really like a shape or style unless they try it on. I love my friend''s Neil Lane ring but I realized after trying it on that a 2.3 carat 6 prong solitaire really did look wonky on me!

areagirlsbestfriend

Rough_Rock
OMG I am so sorryyyyyyy to hear that!!! Did you ever replace it? (I mean I know you can''t truly replace it ...)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 11:50:40 AM
Author: areagirlsbestfriend
OMG I am so sorryyyyyyy to hear that!!! Did you ever replace it? (I mean I know you can't truly replace it ...)
I am guessing you are talking to me, so yes, I did replace it. My lose brought me to PS. Thanks for asking; I was in denial and didn't replace it for about 4 months because I felt it would turn up and then we turned our house upside down and inside out and never found it. It will be a year coming up soon at the end of this month that I joined PS and found my replacement ring. I am so glad I found PS!!!

ETA: DeeJay, I was just like you, now I only let people try it on, but on the non-wedding ring finger.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, I''m the worst (or the best, depending on how you look at it). I''m always handing my ring to total strangers. I''ve never had a bad experience (watch--now that I''ve said that something will happen tomorrow, ha ha) and everyone always has such a good time with it. Why not?!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, I''m so sorry that happened to you!!

My first reaction when anybody wants to see my ring is to take it off an hand it to them. Some try it on, some think it''s bad luck, haha, but in any case I''m more comfortable with them looking at the ring more closely when it''s not on my hand. Otherwise they just get a big eyeful of my dry hands and unmanicured fingernails :)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I let people hold my ring, try it on, whatever. It's just a 'thing', after all, and it's insured. And since I love it so much, it's fun to watch people oogle it too.

I don't ask to hold or try on a ring if I like someone else's...obviously some people are weird about it so I just admire on their hand unless they offer me to hold it.

areagirlsbestfriend

Rough_Rock
Skippy - I am now searching your posts so I can see pics of your sparkler! You poor thing, I can''t even imagine how devastating that must have been. The sentimental value alone is priceless ... and I''m sure the $$ value was a bit of a hit too =(

There is no harm in it and if you let others try on or ask to try on other''s, I''m not judging! To each her own, of course. Maybe later on down the road I won''t be so "protective" of my ering and won''t think a thing of letting someone else try it on. It''s still such a new object to me and I''m very attached. Haha.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 11:35:22 AM
Author: bee*
Over here, everyone tries on your ring, puts it on their finger and turns it 3 times towards their hearts and you're meant to make a wish while you're doing it.

Bee and I are in Ireland and I HATE this. HAte HatE HaTe it!
29.gif

I have said 'no' so many times now that I no longer feel funny saying it (-well nearly all the time).

I hate it for 2 reasons: 1. Get your mitts off! It is my ring and likes my or DH's vibes only, please do not pollute my ring. 2. It leads to the alkward questions, how much did it cost? How big is it? And other questions which in improper surroundings (ie not close friends) I find embarrasing. (But to clarify, Family and Friends are never invited to try it on but if they ask 1 time out of 1000 I might agree)

I would NEVER ask to try somebodys ring on.

(Analogy: Wow that is a lovely bustier, can I try it on? Wow what a great suit, can I try it on?
38.gif
)

(Brown paper bag time.......Breathe......nobody is violating my ring..nobody is violating my ring....in...out...breathe
39.gif
)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! I''m not a LIW, I''m married. Like DeeJay, I usually just hand the ring over to anyone who asks about it. Mostly, they are just interested in the size (1.77ct), so why not? I''m not superstitious about jewellery in general, and was quite comfortable getting my stone from an estate piece to begin with.
37.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m quite happy for people to try on my ring. My centre stone is a lot bigger at 1.42ct than most in the UK even for a coloured stone, so a lot of my friends want to see what it looks like on their hand. I''m very unsuperstitious - and it was very helpful to learn what looked horrible on me by trying on my friends and relations rings.

I even got a saleswoman in a jewellery store to try mine on with some wedding rings so that I could take some photos to see what went better. I am very happy for people in jewellers to hold it and look at it close up - most of them have never seen a tsavorite so they tend to be quite interested.

It''s insured and people are pretty careful on the whole. It also depends how they ask.

I probably wouldn''t let a complete stranger try mine on unless it was in a ''safe'' environment.

I wouldn''t ask to try on someone elses unless they were my siblings/close relatives though.

I do really hate it when people touch the centre stone - why do they do that???? FI always plonks his fingers on it if we hold hands, I now have a separate lens cloth in my bag just for my e-ring!
20.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Trying on someone else''s ring? Hmm... nobody does that where I''m from.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I have no superstition and will let friends try it on. I would not let a stranger.

I like seeing my ring on other people so I can get a different view of it. The only one who I hate to have try it is my sister. She always grips it so that she pushes the head of the ring and the bottom of the shank rather than gripping just the sides of the shank. This makes me scream! It gets the table dirty of course but also it worries me about loosening the stone in the setting.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
allycat is the only one I have let try on my ring, and I tried on hers. As fellow PSers though, that''s hardly an offense, or bad luck!
28.gif
Nobody ever asked me to try it on, though.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am not superstitious at all about my rings, i let friends and family try on my rings and i even swap rings or jewelry sometimes with friends for an hour or so...i have done that with PS''ers at gatherings...i love the variety.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friends are used to my wedding ring now, but when I wear my Padparadscha that is when things get crazy.

My ring finger is a size 4 and no one can get it on their finger, so on the pinkie it goes. I only let my friends try it on. Then they want to take it out in all the different lighting.

I have to admit, I get nervous thinking they will drop it. Another admission, I am always cupping my hands under it. ha ha ha ha ha. I know I am obsessed!!!!!!!

Linda
20.gif

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 1:20:10 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I've let people try on my ring... my ring size is a 4.5 now, so few can actually try it on thier ring finger, pinkie, most often. I don't think it brings bad luck at all
2.gif

I'm with SDL -- my ring is a 3.5 ... so very few can put it on the correct finger. I just take it off and hand it to my friends when they admire or ask about it -- sometimes surprises them, but I would rather let them have a close-up look at it by itself than have to contort my hand
2.gif

It's insured, and all of my friends have been very careful with it. I wouldn't hand it to a stranger, though ...

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I would let anyone try on my jewlery, trusted friends and family can borrow them, just like clothes.

My father once said something that has always stuck with me. "Never lend your car or your wife. Replacing them is more trouble than losing a friend".
So other than those two things, I lend out pretty much anything, as long as I am OK with possibly losing it. After all it''s just material possessions.

If I were to lose an engagement ring or wedding ring, that doesn not diminish love, commitment, or erase the time spent. It''s just a symbol. And if I WAS to be supersticious, maybe my good luck would rub off on the other person.
9.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Nobody''s asked yet but I doubt I''d let them. The girdle on my stone is quite thin and I shudder to think of someone else dropping it! If I did it, well, bad for me, but if someone else did? That would really suck. It''s insured but still...Naw. If I ever went to a PS GTG I think I''d be asked to leave because the thought of having someone put my ring on with all those other rings would make me hyperventilate!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
No one has really asked me to try on my ring besides my best friend who has to try it on every time she sees me. What really annoys me though is the ppl that ask to see it and then touch the center stone repeatedly. I absolutely HATE that- there's no need to touch the diamond, no need.

Sufgirl- definitely DON'T let anyone try your beauty on- if something happened to it, I would cry (as I'm sure counteless other Psers would too).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 12:01:54 PM
Author: FireGoddess

I let people hold my ring, try it on, whatever. It''s just a ''thing'', after all, and it''s insured. And since I love it so much, it''s fun to watch people oogle it too.
Absolutely agree. I don''t believe in the ''bad luck'' thing at all.....as FG mentioned, it''s just a thing. It''s FUN to watch people admire it, try it on, and learn what they like for themselves. (Besides, for those who shop at B&M stores, it''s highly unrealistic to think no one else ever tried on the ring before you purchased it.)

In fact, one of my favorite things about the PS GTGs is seeing/trying on so many diff styles of rings....especially with such an enthuastic bunch of jewelry freaks! LOL

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 12:22:06 PM
Author: Steel
Date: 11/5/2007 11:35:22 AM

Author: bee*

Over here, everyone tries on your ring, puts it on their finger and turns it 3 times towards their hearts and you''re meant to make a wish while you''re doing it.

Bee and I are in Ireland and I HATE this. HAte HatE HaTe it!
29.gif

I have said ''no'' so many times now that I no longer feel funny saying it (-well nearly all the time).

I hate it for 2 reasons: 1. Get your mitts off! It is my ring and likes my or DH''s vibes only, please do not pollute my ring. 2. It leads to the alkward questions, how much did it cost? How big is it? And other questions which in improper surroundings (ie not close friends) I find embarrasing. (But to clarify, Family and Friends are never invited to try it on but if they ask 1 time out of 1000 I might agree)

I would NEVER ask to try somebodys ring on.

(Analogy: Wow that is a lovely bustier, can I try it on? Wow what a great suit, can I try it on?
38.gif
)

(Brown paper bag time.......Breathe......nobody is violating my ring..nobody is violating my ring....in...out...breathe
39.gif
)

I feel like the biggest meanie in the world saying no, although one of my mothers friends passed it to her young daughter last night and I had to grab it back off her! I hate it too though-I just don''t feel comfortable with people trying it on-I just don''t know what I''d do if they dropped it!

Picos

Rough_Rock
No one has asked me, but I''d probably hand it over. I rarely get comments because it''s quite small.
1.gif

If anyone was to ask, I''d let them try it on. It''s a three stone & most people are used to the solitaire. I''d even let them hold it.

My mom let me look at her old engement set (she had it replaced with yellow gold) and told me to try it on, but only on my right hand since it was bad luck (for me) to try it on my left.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I let everyone play with my ring. I''ve even handed it to a stranger working in a Starbucks.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
I will let people see/hold my engagement ring, but only people I know. Before I got married though, I was extremely superstitious about having my wedding band on my left ring finger all by itself, or in the traditional wedding ring 'position' undern my ering. If I was really feeling the urge to play with my wedding band I would put it on top of the ering, or on my right hand only. I usually am not superstitious, but I was about that. I don't know how I got that way...
37.gif

ETA: I do not let anyone hold or try on my wedding band

areagirlsbestfriend

Rough_Rock
I guess I am just anal about my ring! Honestly, I''m surprised so many of you are so lax about it. But again, to each her own! And I hope one day to get over my ring complex!

I started thinking about this recently because of a sort of freak incident. I was out with a bunch of girlfriends from college a few weekends ago .. a few of us are engaged, but most are not. Two of the other gals that are engaged have a bit of a history ... we''ll call them C and A. A was dating this guy (we''ll call him R) for awhile during college, were quite serious (talked marriage and such) and then had a very messy break up. C swooped in very shortly after the break up and her and R became a couple (no one really knows for sure, but it''s suspected that they might have been ''talking'' while A & R were still together). A & C were on the outs for a bit (understandable!!!) but it''s been a few years now, so whenever we all get together they are friendly. C and R did end up getting engaged and A has moved on and found a wonderful guy for herself. Regardless, it does get a bit "weird" sometimes and we''re all aware of the history behind it.

Anyway, of course all the girls want to gawk over the rings! Me, being the newbiest of the engaged lot, declined because I''m just very attached to my ring and the fact that I''m the only person to ever wear it (we didn''t get it from a store). A is like me .. she will not allow anyone to try the ring on. C, in what I personally think was a ''show'' to make A and myself look like brats, made a big deal about passing her ring around and letting the others try it on. In some ways I think it was her way of upshowing A, because while C ended up with R, A has the obviously nicer ring (I know, I know - catty .. but it''s hard not to compare!).

So, in short - I found out that over the weekend C''s diamond cracked! To the point where they have to replace the stone. It''s terrible and I feel badly for her because she was pretty upset about it. But that got me to thinking .... is it bad luck then to let others try it on??? I know I said I don''t believe in that but it was sort of a weird coincidence!!

Anyway, just thought I''d share that story and I enjoy hearing all of you different ideas on it.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Bad luck? - maybe.
Bad inclusion? - Most likely.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 2:16:37 PM
Author: sap483
No one has really asked me to try on my ring besides my best friend who has to try it on every time she sees me. What really annoys me though is the ppl that ask to see it and then touch the center stone repeatedly. I absolutely HATE that- there''s no need to touch the diamond, no need.

Sufgirl- definitely DON''T let anyone try your beauty on- if something happened to it, I would cry (as I''m sure counteless other Psers would too).
I KNOW! What IS it with people TAPPING on your center stone? Do they think it''s like a car or something and they''re kicking the tires? Do they think a fake will "tap" differently? I honestly am baffled beyond belief with people ask to see your ring, and they grab your hand and tap the stone with their fingernail. SO weird. My doctor did this the other day and I just didn''t know what to do.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results