shape
carat
color
clarity

Supernovas and standard ovals...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Is it just me, or do supernovas look a little more pointed than standard ovals? Do they fit into calibrated settings for standard ovals?

I know many of you have supernovas...could you share your thoughts? I do think they seem more lively, but I''ve never seen one in person. Any particular gem you''d recommend for a supernova?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Supernova ovals were designed by Robert Long and are all basically the same except for their length/width ratio's. They have two tiers of pavilion facets with the 8 facets around the culet all being at the same angle. This makes their light reflections in the center of the stone very similar to a round brilliant cut. The attached picture shows a similar design which was made to have a shorter pavilion, since the Supernova's are all quite deep. The pavilion depth percentage on the original is just over 62% which is about the total depth percentage for a "standard" oval cut. They are very nice looking stones with no bow-tie and tilt windowing about as minimized as possible. Because of this depth they need a setting which will accommodate that depth, meaning prongs which are long enough or bezels which are high enough above the finger. The seat which is cut into the setting also need to be steeper on the pavilion side, meaning that the prongs should be heavier than normal.

Beautiful stones, though they do require a deeper piece of rough to cut them. Similar, though more shallow Barion cut styles can be made which will accommodate thinner roughs. Mr. Long also designed two pear shapes with a similar design style called, "Superpear". Oh, I should add that these stones are best done in medium to light materials since they are very deep and they produce a pretty dark stone in red garnet or spinel to name a couple.

SupernovaRuby.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty LD!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much Michael E!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I have one of Barry''s supernova ovals: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bb-stones-arrived-today-pink-tourmaline-amethyst-pair.119392/

It''s 10 x 7.7 x 7.32mm (LxWxD), and I''ve had a difficult time finding a setting for it where the culet doesn''t extend below the basket and into my finger. Also, because it has a deep pavilion, it sometimes sits very high in the basket. I like the supernovas though, because you don''t get any bowtie. It just takes a little more work to find a setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My malaya is a supernova oval, and I had no problem with finding an LOGR for it, and it didn''t sit too low and poke my finger.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cell! That''s a beautiful supernova; have you set it yet?

Thank you TL as well; I''ve noticed LOGR''s have pretty long prongs, so its easier to accommodate deeper gems or gems that aren''t calibrated exactly for the setting.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 8:20:40 PM
Author: IndyLady
Thanks Cell! That''s a beautiful supernova; have you set it yet?

Thank you TL as well; I''ve noticed LOGR''s have pretty long prongs, so its easier to accommodate deeper gems or gems that aren''t calibrated exactly for the setting.
TL, it''s true that I''ve only tried one LOGR setting for my supernova - maybe I should try again. Actually, there is one oval setting that I LOVE, but it''s almost $700!

IndyLady - I haven''t set it yet, but you can see in this thread that I tried: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/if-you-ever-wondered-what-logr-single-cuts-look-like.125942/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2010 9:03:21 PM
Author: cellentani

TL, it''s true that I''ve only tried one LOGR setting for my supernova - maybe I should try again. Actually, there is one oval setting that I LOVE, but it''s almost $700!

IndyLady - I haven''t set it yet, but you can see in this thread that I tried: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/if-you-ever-wondered-what-logr-single-cuts-look-like.125942/
Oh, I think I know that setting you''re talking about. I love it too!!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results