shape
carat
color
clarity

Star Sapphire E-Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I like the star sapphire #1331 that James Meyer has listed as New.
Do you think that is the same stone, since I think you said it was being recut? It is lovely.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 1:26:42 PM
Author: Pink Tower
I like the star sapphire #1331 that James Meyer has listed as New.

Do you think that is the same stone, since I think you said it was being recut? It is lovely.

This is #1331 (in case anyone wants to take a look at it). It looks beautiful! I saw it before, but I didn''t pause to read the description and thought it was just a pink sapphire cab. But it''s a pink-purple star sapphire!!! I don''t think it''s the same stone, though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not the mottled star but beautiful nonetheless. You can see how translucent it is and how the colour is so intense and even.

NeonPeon

Rough_Rock
The more I''m hanging out with the purple sapphire, the more I''m liking it. In low light it is an almost thistle-y smoky purple, and the more the light increases, the more magenta and pink shine through and glow through the stone. The only thing I don''t like is its very central streak of opaque silk. It almost bisects the stone.

James Meyer''s stone will be back from being recut in a few weeks, as there was no urgency originally. He is confirming this, but does believe that stone was heated, which is useful to know.

I''ll try to take some pictures later today of the NSC stone.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
YES!!! Post some pics!!!
3.gif

NeonPeon

Rough_Rock
Alright, so this isn''t a fantastic camera, but it should give you a sense of the various "personalities" as you put it, of the gem.

I have to admit, I think my chief issue with the stone is that it wasn''t as I expected. Now that I have put those expectations aside, I''m really starting to like it. Hopefully they''ll allow me to extend the viewing period, and I''ll take a look at the JM stone and take my pick. The fact that the stone I currently have gets more and more interesting the more I look at it, and the more different lights I see it under, bodes very well. The sun streamed through the window earlier and the thing had sparks of pink running through it.

It varies between a deep purple in the shade, to lavender, to magenta. Very enchanting.

Hrm, I guess I have to convert all these pictures...

1246588308352.jpeg

NeonPeon

Rough_Rock
Second.. still in low light, the band you see running across it, is in reality more opaque than it appears here.

1246588432867.jpeg

NeonPeon

Rough_Rock
This is under fairly bright light, this is more like what it looked like with the sunlight streaming in with some intensity.

1246588658895.jpeg

NeonPeon

Rough_Rock
Here under strong indoor light... you get a better sense of that opaque band here, but also how gorgeous the colours playing inside are.

1246588695333.jpeg

mousey

Shiny_Rock
The colour is beautiful (in my novice opinion). What about the star? Ps, I am also having JM set my engagement ring. He s just such a gentleman, isn t he?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sapphire cabochon looks really interesting. Are you able to capture the star in any of the pictures?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color, though I don''t know how much the opaque streak would bug me.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with MTG. Is it a star? How does the stripe affect the star?
Personally, the stripe would not work for me, but I''m not wearing the stone. How do you think SHE would feel about this?

NeonPeon

Rough_Rock
The opaque band certainly detracts from the gem, it is the first thing anyone would immediately notice.

The star is noticeable in very few situations, it is well formed then, but its a very weak star.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2009 10:47:46 PM
Author: NeonPeon
Here under strong indoor light... you get a better sense of that opaque band here, but also how gorgeous the colours playing inside are.
WOW!! its beautiful! very mesmerizing!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 11:06:31 AM
The opaque band certainly detracts from the gem, it is the first thing anyone would immediately notice.

The star is noticeable in very few situations, it is well formed then, but its a very weak star.
If that''s the case, then it doesn''t sound like the right star sapphire. I can''t wait to see James Meyer''s recut stone.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2009 10:41:50 PM
Alright, so this isn''t a fantastic camera, but it should give you a sense of the various ''personalities'' as you put it, of the gem.

I have to admit, I think my chief issue with the stone is that it wasn''t as I expected. Now that I have put those expectations aside, I''m really starting to like it. Hopefully they''ll allow me to extend the viewing period, and I''ll take a look at the JM stone and take my pick. The fact that the stone I currently have gets more and more interesting the more I look at it, and the more different lights I see it under, bodes very well. The sun streamed through the window earlier and the thing had sparks of pink running through it.

It varies between a deep purple in the shade, to lavender, to magenta. Very enchanting.

Hrm, I guess I have to convert all these pictures...

I just saw the pics, and I think the stone has a very charming color. However, I don''t understand how The NSC could classify it as having "insignificant inclusions" meaning "very, very little visible inclusions, seen mostly from a side angle." I think this stone looks more included than that. The opaque band is certainly distracting, but I don''t think it completely overpowers the color and light reflection (the stone still looks pretty).

As for the James Meyer''s recut stone: no matter how much nicer it might look, I would not be happy to get a HEATED STAR SAPPHIRE as my engagement stone. To me, that''s analogous to getting a clarity enhanced diamond when you''re in the market for a diamond engagement ring. But, that''s just me. If that doesn''t bother you or your gf, then, please ignore my comment.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
And, Neon, one more thing: how do you feel about the size of the "magenta" stone? Do you think you could fall in love with a slightly smaller stone that is SO GORGEOUS (great purplish red color, great pink star, great clarity, just GREAT!!!) to the point that its size might become irrelevant? I'm thinking about the 1.36ct star ruby...

(I know I'm totally biased here, but I just wanted to ask just in case...)

NeonPeon

Rough_Rock
I think I will take a look, it isn't immediately her style to have such a delicate size of stone, but it isn't her style to wear one type of ring every day, so perhaps for that purpose, something a bit smaller makes sense... it would also fundamentally change how I envisage the setting.

The problem I'm coming to now is that I've got a plan for the proposal which would be in late August, and despite my best efforts I don't feel any closer to finding the stone. I really don't want to propose with a substitute ring, but I don't know where else I could be searching. If I can't find a gem in the next couple of weeks, the ring won't be ready in time.

I was desperately looking to like the magenta stone, and while I like it, I am not really completely confident its the right one. I also feel a little uncomfortable that it was so differently presented. I couldn't get a picture like the one they have pictured, even if I tried. It simply doesn't look like that. Also, as you say, it has a noticeable inclusion that does not contribute to the star.

That said, I've looked all over LA and elsewhere in person, I've looked at all of the stones in the coloured gem vendors list, I've got vendors who are instructed to call me if they find anything appropriate... I seem to be running out of the options I'm aware of.

Regarding the heat treatment, it certainly isn't ideal, but it also seems more standard practice, unlike with diamonds, hence why I'm having difficulties. I seem to be looking for a subset of a subset of a subset, and I don't exactly seem to have a lot of options at my price range. The NSC is dedicated to sapphires, and have only a single sapphire in the price range, of the colour.

I only really have three rings in consideration right now, perhaps I'll return the two, and ask if I can take the smaller ruby to look at. By then perhaps I can look at JM's stone and compare.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 8:52:52 PM
I think I will take a look, it isn''t immediately her style to have such a delicate size of stone, but it isn''t her style to wear one type of ring every day, so perhaps for that purpose, something a bit smaller makes sense... it would also fundamentally change how I envisage the setting.

The problem I''m coming to now is that I''ve got a plan for the proposal which would be in late August, and despite my best efforts I don''t feel any closer to finding the stone. I really don''t want to propose with a substitute ring, but I don''t know where else I could be searching. If I can''t find a gem in the next couple of weeks, the ring won''t be ready in time.

I was desperately looking to like the magenta stone, and while I like it, I am not really completely confident its the right one. I also feel a little uncomfortable that it was so differently presented. I couldn''t get a picture like the one they have pictured, even if I tried. It simply doesn''t look like that. Also, as you say, it has a noticeable inclusion that does not contribute to the star.

That said, I''ve looked all over LA and elsewhere in person, I''ve looked at all of the stones in the coloured gem vendors list, I''ve got vendors who are instructed to call me if they find anything appropriate... I seem to be running out of the options I''m aware of.

Regarding the heat treatment, it certainly isn''t ideal, but it also seems more standard practice, unlike with diamonds, hence why I''m having difficulties. I seem to be looking for a subset of a subset of a subset, and I don''t exactly seem to have a lot of options at my price range. The NSC is dedicated to sapphires, and have only a single sapphire in the price range, of the colour.

I only really have three rings in consideration right now, perhaps I''ll return the two, and ask if I can take the smaller ruby to look at. By then perhaps I can look at JM''s stone and compare.

The 1.36cts star ruby is a remarkable stone with a breathtaking star. It''s worth a shot to take a look at that beauty. If you get blown away by it, but want more finger coverage, you might want to consider adding a delicate halo or some accent stones... These are a some of the 3D renderings that The NSC''s design team created for me when I was evaluating my options (they kindly emailed me numerous 3D images with different stones in a variety of mountings... this was before I found Van Craeynest, my ring designer).

NSC_StarRuby_JS762.jpg

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Another one...

NSC_3DRenderings_1.jpg

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Last one I could find...
(I was looking for some real pics that I took of the stone, but can''t find them... I''ll post them if I find them somewhere on my computer...)

NSC_3DRenderings_2.jpg

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
I guess I deleted them
15.gif
... I rescued the 3D images that I posted from the recycle bin...

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
RubyCharm,
Those are some gorgeous CADS, or whatever the term would be.

Neon,
Have you ever said, what size ring does she wear, and does her job have her work a lot with her hand(s)? I posted my pink sapphire, with a halo up above in this post, and it is the exact size as this Ruby. I am a teacher, and this size is more than large enough for everyday wear, esp. w/a wedding band. Comfort is very important in a ring, believe me. And, with an engagement ring, quality is also important, it is not just about size. Perhaps you need to look at this high quality stone, or something like this stone for comparison.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 11:06:31 AM

Based on this assessment, I would definitely pass. Your stone is out there, though! The JM sounds promising.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have a problem with a gentle heat treated sapphire for an e-ring. To me, only a BE diffused or resin filled stone is the equivalent of a clarity enhanced diamond.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/4/2009 7:07:28 PM
Author: Chrono
I don''t have a problem with a gentle heat treated sapphire for an e-ring. To me, only a BE diffused or resin filled stone is the equivalent of a clarity enhanced diamond.

Let me explain myself a little better. In general, I''m OK with heat-treated stones and I had never owned natural & untreated corundum before I got my star ruby. In fact, most of my few gemstone jewelry pieces have enhanced stones. Also, I''m not opposed to a gentle heat-treated FACETED SAPPHIRE for an e-ring. However, when it comes to an ENGAGEMENT STAR SAPPHIRE, I prefer an untreated stone for two reasons. First, an engagement stone is a very important stone and, if possible, I think a guy should try to get the highest quality and most valuable stone within the gem type of his preference and within his budget. In this case, Neon could afford to get an untreated star sapphire, and given that heat treatment is common practice, this kind of stone would make the e-ring all the more special, IMO. Second, as far as I know, heating a sapphire will dissolve much or all of the silk (AKA rutile needles) that forms the star effect. While removing these inclusions can improve the color and clarity of a stone, this process can destroy the asterism. That''s not a problem for faceted sapphires. However, I don''t know if that''s the reason you can find so many star sapphires on the market today that have not only been heated but also coated with diffused asterisms since they don''t have enough silk to produce a natural star effect on their own. And, if the star effect has been improved or induced by a surface diffusion process, I''m not a big fan of a gem like that for an e-ring (I''m OK with it for other jewelry pieces, though).

NeonPeon

Rough_Rock
Hello again all.

I''ve finally had a chance to look at JM''s gem, and while it has a far less regular star, the star is stronger at times and is lovely, and I think it is the one. It has been heat treated, and Kiwi, your concerns are noted, but I find the gem magical. It is a rich purple colour at first glance, but is "mottled", giving flashes of blue and violet depending on the viewing angle. The star is a secondary feature to the gorgeous colours of this gem.

The Natural Sapphire Company were fantastic to deal with by the way, even though I did not end up choosing their gem. The gem I was looking for was a subset of a subset of a subset, so I ended up having to look at many companies, locally and elsewhere to go with.

There is one other gem I may take a look at just to cover all my bases, but I really love this one so I wonder whether I should. The gem will be in an offset bezel setting in white gold, paired with a small European cut diamond in a leaf/vine motif like many of James Meyer''s other asymmetrical rings.

rsz_6boundary2_004.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, i don''t remember your budget and i''m not going to read through all the posts but please please please take a look at this before you purchase the cab for an e-ring:

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Aug%2009%20SSapp%20Page.htm

a violet star sapphire.....

the cab you''re looking at is interesting and i would set it and wear it.....BUT NOT AS AN E-RING. but then maybe its just me.....

mz

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It looks truly beautiful!!! And I can speak first hand, a James Meyer setting will set it off stunningly!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results