Votes: 29 36.7%
  • OVAL

Votes: 50 63.3%

• Total voters

Trudii

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1380025760|3526240 said:
Gypsy|1379992480|3526089 said:
Hon, why did you get so much less for you set from your insurance. That doesn't sound right.
I'm wondering about this too - what happened here?

I read it that she wanted to put the majority of the insurance money into the diamond, and save up for the ideal setting.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think they are both beautiful, but I do love the hand shot of the oval more. My ering is an oval, in the interest of full disclosure. :) I will say that--from time to time--I do wonder what a MRB would look like, would I like it more, would it perform better, etc. etc. But in the end I really have genuinely loved the oval. I like it best when viewed from one of the longer sides, sort of at an angle that shows the length and the clear ice of the side facets. Maybe I should get an emerald, haha! Anyway, It isn't a round, so don't try to imagine it into one (as I have done on occasion, heh). People comment on it, and my son's 2nd grade teacher last year grabbed my hand and was so excited to spot another oval. :) They are not very common. Our 15th anniversary is coming up in two years, and I am thinking of an OEC as a replacement, but I don't think I'd do a typical MRB. I don't know if that helps, but as an oval owner, I thought I'd share my ambivalence and loyalty. :twirl:

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
After 11 years with the same insurance company, we had just switched. The Monday before I lost my rings, my husband called our agent to ask for prices on a personal property rider. Literally, 2 days later, before we could set it up, I lost my rings! I could have been dishonest and went ahead and set it up, then wait and file...but that stuff is not for me. Thankfully, we had a general $5000 max plan on any jewelry lost! We paid $8000 for the set I had, but $5000 beats nothing. I'm putting that whole $5000 into the diamond, and working out a way to pay for the setting. I want platinum, since I won't have a rhodium plan, and my body chemistry is rough on WG.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I will look at that setting, for sure. Do you have pictures you wouldn't mind sharing?

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
See, that will be me too, questioning if I'm missing that extra twinkle. My eyes just don't find the round quite as appealing. It could be that it's common. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, they definitely help!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heidibrooke|1380032620|3526295 said:
See, that will be me too, questioning if I'm missing that extra twinkle. My eyes just don't find the round quite as appealing. It could be that it's common. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, they definitely help!

This is how I felt when choosing a e ring. I under up choosing sparkle. Then got an interesting shape for my RHR. assuming eventually you can get a RHR, what would you choose?

Also, would you feel it more unique if it was set in a different color like rose gold?

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I like rose gold, but my husband hates it. I thought about the oval in rose gold, kind of a vintage feel, but I don't want something he thinks is ugly, lol.

I'm going to shop around online at JA a little more. Maybe I can make this decision even more difficult, lol.

For a RHR, I would probably choose pear or trillion. :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the videos my eye prefers the round

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1380069543|3526703 said:

Agreed.

Its so hard because I'm not too keen on that oval, but I far prefer the settings you can afford when you go for that oval. It seems to cylindrical for my liking. Can you return it and get then to ship the 1.13 oval? I just think I want to like the oval. But I'm not sure I actually do

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1380071857|3526721 said:

Agreed.

Its so hard because I'm not too keen on that oval, but I far prefer the settings you can afford when you go for that oval. It seems to cylindrical for my liking. Can you return it and get then to ship the 1.13 oval? I just think I want to like the oval. But I'm not sure I actually do

I could order another oval. The 1.13 oval is almost round, not a very desirable ratio for me. I do like the weight though. I prefer a 1:5 ratio. That one is1:2. I don't want an oval that might be mistaken for a misshapen round, kwim? I still might order it though. I appreciate all the advice. :)

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1380071857|3526721 said:

Agreed.

I ordered another oval. My mind is gonna be mush before I get this decision made! :lol: I ordered a 1.01 H (med fluorescence may negate warmth) IF, 7.54*5.82*3.65 (1:3 ratio), so it will be "chubbier" than the one I have now. I just need to compare. It has EX polish and VG symmetry.

I'm also leaning toward the .32 pave band you recommended, I think you recommended that one. If I go with the G oval, most definitely, since the pave diamonds are FG. If I happen to love the H oval more, I'm not sure what to do. I think those pave diamonds will be noticeably whiter.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1380115942|3526991 said:
Do you have a link to what you ordered?

And I don't think you need to change your setting type for an H. Well cut that will still be plenty white. The pave won't be a problem

This is the one I think would look best

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-rounded-pave-engagement-solitaire-item-8116

I think your talking about the one Christina liked?

Oh, ok, that's right, you recommended the double pave. That's nice too, and it's thinner than the picture looks, which is nice. Here is the oval I ordered:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-if-clarity-sku-229745

I think it might be too warm for me, we'll see. I'm just really drawn to the ovals. I didn't order another round to compare because I think I got the best my budget can afford. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're drawn to ovals I think you flu d your answer to your original question. Now I think you just have to find an oval that sings to you. If none of these do keep looking. Its out there. But I'll be interested to see what you think of this oval that's coming.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1380122999|3527033 said:
If you're drawn to ovals I think you flu d your answer to your original question. Now I think you just have to find an oval that sings to you. If none of these do keep looking. Its out there. But I'll be interested to see what you think of this oval that's coming.

Thank you! I will be back to share pics of it, probably by Friday. :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heidibrooke|1380117768|3526998 said:
I'm just really drawn to the ovals.

Heidibrooke, I think you have your answer! FWIW, I think the oval you started the thread with is beautiful...but it's good to check out other options too. Looking forward to seeing the other oval!

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
junebug17|1380131317|3527125 said:
Heidibrooke|1380117768|3526998 said:
I'm just really drawn to the ovals.

Heidibrooke, I think you have your answer! FWIW, I think the oval you started the thread with is beautiful...but it's good to check out other options too. Looking forward to seeing the other oval!

Thank you, I have a feeling you are right! Your ring is stunning...mesmerizing!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yes, I think this gets to it! My oval has ex/ex rating, and I think that is important in any diamond, but pears, ovals, and marquise especially. I get my e-ring dipped 2x/year (two of the six wisps are 18K yellow gold), and whoever looks at it will say things like, "That's a really nice oval, actually." haha, as if it's so rare to see a NICE oval! It used to offend me, but now I just say, "Of course it is." Really, it's a rude thing to say to someone, I think!

To the OP, find the oval that sings to you is right! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KristinTech|1380151050|3527323 said:

Yes, I think this gets to it! My oval has ex/ex rating, and I think that is important in any diamond, but pears, ovals, and marquise especially. I get my e-ring dipped 2x/year (two of the six wisps are 18K yellow gold), and whoever looks at it will say things like, "That's a really nice oval, actually." haha, as if it's so rare to see a NICE oval! It used to offend me, but now I just say, "Of course it is." Really, it's a rude thing to say to someone, I think!

I disagree with this statement. Fancies you have to shop with your eyes. Some of the prettiest stones don't have EX/EX ratings. And this is why they say you can't shop for them without seeing them, as you can get one that on paper looks good but is a real dog!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your hands were made for the oval. I love the cut and it looks larger too!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I keep changing my vote but I think the oval is so striking on your hand. Can't wait to see what you pick!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1380151397|3527326 said:

I disagree with this statement. Fancies you have to shop with your eyes. Some of the prettiest stones don't have EX/EX ratings. And this is why they say you can't shop for them without seeing them, as you can get one that on paper looks good but is a real dog!

Well, yes, I will agree with this-- because I've seen my oval with my eyes, and my dh looked at many ovals and RBs when he was shopping. :) And that's why the pros are encouraging the OP to find a "better" oval while she is still looking and shopping. I bought an Art Deco ring at an auction house two weeks ago--in my avatar and is currently with an independent appraiser-- and I knew relatively little about its real "specs." All I knew is it made me smile after seeing many "eh" pieces in the sale.

I guess my point with my previous post was to say that I get my oval looked at with a loupe with many people in the industry because of the rhodium plating with my specific setting. Not all of them are graduate gemologists, but I get a lot of comments that it's "actually" a good oval. I just flat out think that comment is rude, so I will say it again. :) But it says to me that people in the industry don't see many good ovals, so they make a point to tell me that I got a good one? I'm not sure. They do seem genuinely surprised/happy to see it. Any of us would be happier to see all of our best options laid out in front of us. It would be like shopping for perfumes, though... we'd need the equivalent of coffee beans to sniff/focus on in between choices. ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand what you mean about that comment I get a lot of "oh I actually like that marquise!"

For some reason makes me think they aren't telling me the truth lol.

But I just don't want the OP to get caught up in what symm and polish are graded. It has its purpose, just more limited than say a round. Like, when I go to James Allen I like to do it on my phone, as it will never make me scroll between pages. It'll just show me dozens and dozens of stones right in a row. Scroll though, see one with an nice patter, no grey mushy area, no or little bowtie. Then I go in and see the stats. Picking rounds is a science, picking ovals has more art and finesse. Otherwise you could just go to blue nile and pick any random one that looks good in paper. If only was so easy lol. :))

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock

Thank you very much! :)

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
athenaworth|1380151946|3527330 said:
Your hands were made for the oval. I love the cut and it looks larger too!

Thanks so much! )

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1380164441|3527472 said:
I understand what you mean about that comment I get a lot of "oh I actually like that marquise!"

For some reason makes me think they aren't telling me the truth lol.

But I just don't want the OP to get caught up in what symm and polish are graded. It has its purpose, just more limited than say a round. Like, when I go to James Allen I like to do it on my phone, as it will never make me scroll between pages. It'll just show me dozens and dozens of stones right in a row. Scroll though, see one with an nice patter, no grey mushy area, no or little bowtie. Then I go in and see the stats. Picking rounds is a science, picking ovals has more art and finesse. Otherwise you could just go to blue nile and pick any random one that looks good in paper. If only was so easy lol. :))

True, I didn't even consider Bluenile when searching for an oval. I wanted to, but couldn't with a fancy shape. There are so many on JA's website that I won't even click to see their stats. They may be perfect but I don't want to look at a dark bowtie. My eyes would be focused on it constantly.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that the sparkle of the round is much nicer, based on your videos. But you have to go with what speaks to you.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
The 2nd oval came today! JA has some fast shipping! I'll let you judge for yourself, but I think the 1st oval appeals more to my eye. The 2nd one has a slight bowtie (which is fine), and it's warmer. I called JA and found out their cut grades (proportionally only since GIA doesn't grade fancies on their cut). The 1st is ideal, proportionally, and the 2nd is Very Good. Here are some pics:

share13.jpg

share14.jpg

share15.jpg

share16.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results