carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1392912854|3619303 said:
The chrysoberyl is the perfect size for a stacker. :naughty:
I never even thought of that, a set of stacker's consisting of top color cat's eyes and star cabs would be awesome. You're quite the temptress aren't you? Haha... :saint:

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Jeff Davies giant Blue Topaz he just posted. It's my dream stone for a bridal pendant. But since I'm A) In the process of setting and more importantly B) Not even engaged, no dice.

Someone here should buy it so I can at least see some hand shots/possibly see it set. :naughty:

1799143_10152277307734357_1395194766_o.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'll be bad and say...just buy it now. It's a nice cut and well priced.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
LoversKites|1392979404|3620022 said:
Slightly on the dark side but still beautiful. I thought blue spinel was more expensive.
Blue spinel that is vivid, with medium to medium dark saturation, and no/little grey is much more expensive

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is...I see some gray in there.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Preg & Freke, you're right. At first I couldn't see it but when you put two photos side by side (a vivid violetish blue sapphire and the spinel).... the difference is obvious and the grey shows. I still think it's a nice stone.

download__1_0.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it is a nice stone, and good face up size. But you start comparing it to other stones that are more saturated, and it starts looking, well, not as saturated.

Edit: So I think it's priced decently, for the blue color and face up size, it's a good deal.

Spinel and sapphires.

bluespinel5.jpg

154472_677780181867_687639552_0.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it's a good price for that particular spinel, and the combination of the color, cut and size would be difficult to find again. If you like it, I think it's a good buy, but it may be difficult to resell as it is very dark and grey. I have a higher tolerance for grey in light or medium light stones.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1393009634|3620233 said:
Yes, it is a nice stone, and good face up size. But you start comparing it to other stones that are more saturated, and it starts looking, well, not as saturated.

Edit: So I think it's priced decently, for the blue color and face up size, it's a good deal.

Spinel and sapphires.

Yeah, I realise it's unfair to compare the two like I did. It does make it look less saturated but I just did it for the grey to be apparent to my inexperienced eyes.

The spinel you posted is amazing!

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would totally buy this ring if I had $6000 dollars laying around. The seller says it is unheated, it looks a little dark though? . _t2ec16h__zue9s39_eufbqke9djtmg__60_58.jpg _t2ec16rhjiufhhnpfofjbr8_jsksow__60_3.jpg

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
pregcurious said:

:lol: I wish! So badly! If I had a dollar to spare I would. Unfortunetly with my bff getting married in May I have a bridesmaid's dress, a bridal shower, a bachelorette party, a wedding gift and I'm buying her bridal pendant. :$$): I have a little left to play around with, but its still less than the stone. I'll most likely be setting a pink spinel to wear at my bff's wedding instead.

It is sad though, I love that blended sky/cerulean light blue. A rock that huge wouldn't need any metalwork design or diamonds added either! So I'll just hope someone else here has some strange desire to buy a giant blue topaz. :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
SouthernSunset|1393015755|3620284 said:
pregcurious said:

:lol: I wish! So badly! If I had a dollar to spare I would. Unfortunetly with my bff getting married in May I have a bridesmaid's dress, a bridal shower, a bachelorette party, a wedding gift and I'm buying her bridal pendant. :$$): I have a little left to play around with, but its still less than the stone. I'll most likely be setting a pink spinel to wear at my bff's wedding instead.

It is sad though, I love that blended sky/cerulean light blue. A rock that huge wouldn't need any metalwork design or diamonds added either! So I'll just hope someone else here has some strange desire to buy a giant blue topaz. :))
Hmm, you're being good and setting a pink spinel. I'm not good at setting, just buying new stones. I am saving up for another setting though...first world problems.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
livannie|1393015656|3620283 said:
I would totally buy this ring if I had $6000 dollars laying around.

Yes, it's very dark. For $6000, you can get a more vivid and light stone.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the spinel is well-priced and a nice stone.

Blue spinel is generally less saturated than sapphire, so I think the comparisons to more saturated sapphires are not really fair to this spinel. I often find blue spinel to be too gray, but this one looks to have moderate enough saturation that I think it is nice, though it is hardly vivid. Finding a vivid blue spinel is the task of a lifetime, and it won't come with this price tag.

And let's not forget, it shifts to a very nice purple!!!

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
pregcurious said:
SouthernSunset|1393015755|3620284 said:
pregcurious said:

Hmm, you're being good and setting a pink spinel. I'm not good at setting, just buying new stones. I am saving up for another setting though...first world problems.

XD Its so easy to buy stones! Its the rush, the ability to return them easily(for the most part) but deciding on a setting and then saving extra cash typically? Not as fun until you get the final product it's just worrisome. :errrr:

Someone agreed with me about the topaz though! One can only hope it was a PS'er who snagged it and will feel like sharing.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
corundum_conundrum|1393045734|3620525 said:
I think the spinel is well-priced and a nice stone.

Blue spinel is generally less saturated than sapphire, so I think the comparisons to more saturated sapphires are not really fair to this spinel. I often find blue spinel to be too gray, but this one looks to have moderate enough saturation that I think it is nice, though it is hardly vivid. Finding a vivid blue spinel is the task of a lifetime, and it won't come with this price tag.

And let's not forget, it shifts to a very nice purple!!!
I'm ok with comparing it to a sapphire. Description:
Notes: Excellent blue spinel with a cobalt color with one unusual aspect when under certain spectrum of fluorescent light it shifts to fine purplish. The color of the stone is excellent. The tone of the stone is medium to medium dark. There is no grey in this stone. It is a darker type of stone but reminds me of a fine blue sapphire. There is no grey in this stone and the color is excellent.
Regardless, I think it's well priced for the stone you're getting. I just wouldn't expect "fine blue sapphire" from it.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:wavey: FC, I accept your assessment, and we agree largely that the price is good and its certainly not as vivid as a nicely saturated sapphire.

I still think putting it side by side with vivid blue sapphires is a bit unfair:

There is no grey in this stone. It is a darker type of stone but reminds me of a fine blue sapphire. There is no grey in this stone and the color is excellent.

I don't take "reminds" to be equivalent to "is a dead ringer for" a fine blue sapphire. There is clearly some gray in it, though, there's no denying. I'll shut up now but everyone else carry on!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
corundum_conundrum|1393117290|3620872 said:
:wavey: FC, I accept your assessment, and we agree largely that the price is good and its certainly not as vivid as a nicely saturated sapphire.

I still think putting it side by side with vivid blue sapphires is a bit unfair:

There is no grey in this stone. It is a darker type of stone but reminds me of a fine blue sapphire. There is no grey in this stone and the color is excellent.

I don't take "reminds" to be equivalent to "is a dead ringer for" a fine blue sapphire. There is clearly some gray in it, though, there's no denying. I'll shut up now but everyone else carry on!

Yeah, fwiw, I agree, I see a fair amount of grey in that blue spinel, and the vendor definitely draws comparisons to a sapphire by comparing it to one! :lol:

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
That mint garnet!! *drool*

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Cool stone.

Is it really a mint garnet being that yellow?

kavnadoo

Rough_Rock
Mint in my experience anyway is hard to photograph and seems to show more yellow than green. Gorgeous stone though, whoever buys it will have a unique piece.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene's photography is one of the most accurate I've ever come across. I noticed that for the past few years, anything that is a light toned green garnet is called a mint green, regardless of its modifier (yellow or blue). I'm curious about the shape. It's not considered an oval, is it?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
chrono said:
Gene's photography is one of the most accurate I've ever come across. I noticed that for the past few years, anything that is a light toned green garnet is called a mint green, regardless of its modifier (yellow or blue). I'm curious about the shape. It's not considered an oval, is it?

I wondered the same thing. I zoomed in and out trying to define the borders.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I really need to get on this whole winning the lottery thing.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Me too, DJ. Spending within my income is getting old.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
The shape is like a mix of oval and marquise. Or a cushion and a marquise? Its hard to see the outline of the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results