shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not surprising at all, the Bekily color change garnet has been sold. If a PSer bought it, please come and share photos as well as your thoughts of the stone. TIA :wavey:

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
blithesome71 said:

I'm still looking for the perfect peach. I found one, but let it get away because it had yellow around the girdle. I don't want to let another good one get away, but I'm wondering about the the sort of cross shaped darkness I see in the picture (with the center of the stone/cross being light). Is this some sort of obstruction or extinction? I posted a thread awhile back for help finding a peach and I'll post this there if that's more appropriate.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1362409812|3395895 said:
This stone comes with some metal attached. Im kinda on a opal eye binge
4.69 carats, price is preposterous

http://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/14719-symphony-of-color-black-opal-diamond-ring

eta: I really dislike the piece of metal attached to it. The diamonds are awkward and unnecessary, like a big taffeta bow on the backside of a dress. The prongs are just too big, covering too much. the undercarriage isn't so bad, but still not commensurate with the stone.

The photos show two different rings!!!!!!

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Anyone see the 4.6 carat mint grossular garnet at fine water gems?

I'm really on the hunt for a columbian emerald, but that garnet really made me stop and think. I can see it set in a simple rose gold setting.

I can't seem to save the pic so here's the link:

http://www.finewatergems.com/garnet.html

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1340946359|3225737 said:
This one is a great example of size, cutting, and uncommon and outstanding color (IMO); the price is not the best part on this one, but weighing all the other factors, I would think there should be interest in this stone.

From Jeffdvs101 on ebay, a 4.15 ct. precision cut VVS neon chrysoberyl from Madagascar, dimensions of 9.05 x 8.50 x 6.88mm. Offered at 1,850 - not the best bargain, but IMO stunning!
Wow,this one is wonderful!I love the color which shows the breath of youth! :love:

D

Deactivated member 42515

I love the breath of youth!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, the breath of youth was bought a long time ago... :(sad :blackeye:

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I've been ogling this for a couple of weeks now but can't keep holding it back... From Jason Brim, a 2.55ct round Sri Lanka heated sapphire for $7k - I believe this is likely to be the same stone Litnon is offering for $8680. All those folks who keep popping up looking for blue sapphires... here's your baby! The top picture is from Mastercut gems, the second and third from Jason.

26224.jpg

11516_10151531028059861_1489825300_n.jpg

539722_10151531028044861_631350843_n.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Alisonia, did you buy that peach? It's a beauty. I looked at it a few times too -- would've not resisted it if I didn't already have a gorgeous one still un-set.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cm366|1366021262|3427105 said:
Okay, I've been ogling this for a couple of weeks now but can't keep holding it back... From Jason Brim, a 2.55ct round Sri Lanka heated sapphire for $7k - I believe this is likely to be the same stone Litnon is offering for $8680. All those folks who keep popping up looking for blue sapphires... here's your baby! The top picture is from Mastercut gems, the second and third from Jason.

This was recently recommended and I can see why. Lovely colour with a very respectable cut.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WANT! DROOL! COUGH! GASP! CHOKE!

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/13073.htm

0.34 ct Fancy Vivid Pink
GIA grade of VS2 (no feathers, only crystals and clouds. :cheeky: )
P&S both Very Good
63.3% depth, and the side view shows they put the girdle in about the right place so a recut to ideal proportions would not sacrifice too much weight, though losing material may drop it to Fancy Intense.
(If girdle was very high or low on the side view more material would have to be removed to get to optimum light performance proportions.)

I think this one will go fast.
It rings all the right bells, especially considering the mine is drying up and the quality of its FCDs is declining.
I wish I had the $$$$; I'll bet it's expensive.

screen_shot_2013-04-18_at_10.png

screen_shot_2013-04-18_at_0.png

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, my first response on that round sapphire, CM, is "You Gotta Be Kidding on the Price!" I can't believe these prices and my knee jerk reaction is way overpriced and the price will have to come down. But I am starting to think we're not in Kansas any more, with no shot of getting back there in the near future. So the price is what the market will bare and it obviously is commanding high prices.

So, with head ducked in submissive acceptance, I would agree that sapphire appears to have lovely color.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1366307377|3429879 said:
WANT! DROOL! COUGH! GASP! CHOKE!

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/13073.htm

0.34 ct Fancy Vivid Pink
GIA grade of VS2 (no feathers, only crystals and clouds. :cheeky: )
P&S both Very Good
63.3% depth, and the side view shows they put the girdle in about the right place so a recut to ideal proportions would not sacrifice too much weight, though losing material may drop it to Fancy Intense.
(If girdle was very high or low on the side view more material would have to be removed to get to optimum light performance proportions.)

I think this one will go fast.
It rings all the right bells, especially considering the mine is drying up and the quality of its FCDs is declining.
I wish I had the $$$$; I'll bet it's expensive.

I just wish they would post prices! I hate having to contact the vendor. But Kenny, I thought by now you probably had a mainline of their info directly into your bloodstream! Not so? They still make you call? Sheesh.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1366309191|3429913 said:
I just wish they would post prices! I hate having to contact the vendor. But Kenny, I thought by now you probably had a mainline of their info directly into your bloodstream! Not so? They still make you call? Sheesh.

I agree.
I dont' like unpublished prices.

I wish I had that 'mainline of info'. ;-)
I'm just small potatoes to them, since they sell those large honkers priced way out of my reach. ;(

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1366309593|3429918 said:
minousbijoux|1366309191|3429913 said:

I agree.
I dont' like unpublished prices.

I wish I had that 'mainline of info'. ;-)
I'm just small potatoes to them, since they sell those large honkers priced way out of my reach. ;(

Yes, but they must be getting to know you and appreciate your loyalty by now...sigh

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1366310207|3429922 said:
Yes, but they must be getting to know you and appreciate your loyalty by now...sigh

Yes, of course they love me.

But then, doesn't everyone love :love: :love: :love: Kenny. :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:oops:

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1366026291|3427122 said:
Alisonia, did you buy that peach? It's a beauty. I looked at it a few times too -- would've not resisted it if I didn't already have a gorgeous one still un-set.

--- Laurie

No, I didn't. It's not quite the perfect color for me. I think it's a little bit too flesh/nude and I want more intense peach like the color I circled in the stone below. I keep trying to find this exact color:
peachtourmalinecolor.jpg
From this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/peach-tourmaline.182660/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/peach-tourmaline.182660/[/URL]

Keep your eyes open, everyone and add it to this thread or mine! Sorry for the slight tangent.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alisonia333|1366324185|3430078 said:
No, I didn't. It's not quite the perfect color for me. I think it's a little bit too flesh/nude and I want more intense peach like the color I circled in the stone below. I keep trying to find this exact color: Keep your eyes open, everyone and add it to this thread or mine! Sorry for the slight tangent.

I would also look at topaz, sometimes called imperial topaz for this colouration.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Dan Stair is always cutting and posting new stones, I love checking his website. This little Montana Sapphire popped up, if it's cut anything like the stone I have from him, it's a fireball.

newrockbig.jpg

http://www.customgemstones.com/NewStone.html

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1366428349|3430923 said:
Dan Stair is always cutting and posting new stones, I love checking his website. This little Montana Sapphire popped up, if it's cut anything like the stone I have from him, it's a fireball.

newrockbig.jpg

Mmmmm, look at the background - there's no way that gem will be that colour in real life I think. Shame.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with LD. Look at the vendor pics thread. I don't want anyone to be disapointed. It saps the energy out of me when I have to send stones back.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1367002028|3435101 said:
GregS|1366428349|3430923 said:

newrockbig.jpg

Mmmmm, look at the background - there's no way that gem will be that colour in real life I think. Shame.

Excellent point.
Very often we can assume the background in real life is white or a neutral gray.
It it appears blue in a pic, chances are the gem also has more blue in the pic than in real life.

Great catch LD!

Look at the backgrounds, also at the hue of human flesh if present.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, Dan's photography does distort color. However, he consistently uses that blue background in his photos, so I doubt it is a case of using photoshop to push the blue in the entire image.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1367170070|3436139 said:
Yes, Dan's photography does distort color. However, he consistently uses that blue background in his photos, so I doubt it is a case of using photoshop to push the blue in the entire image.

I agree, if you look at Dan's website you will see that all of his photos have the same color of bluish background as the photo shown in this thread, plus for whatever reason, his photos seem to wash out the colors in his stones. I just got a lovely amethyst from him and the photo he sent me made it look way less saturated than it is IRL. I'll post a couple of comparison shots later when I'm on my other computer.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
To continue with comments about Dan Stair's photos. Here is a random photo of a peridot from his site. As you can see, even though the stone is green, the background is still the same blue as his other stones. Next is his photo of my amethyst and then my photo of the same amethyst before it was set and in a setting. As expected, a setting will darken a stone a bit, but as I think it illustrates how his photos desaturate his stones a bit.

_5929.jpg

272ammiecush.jpg

_5930.jpg

_5931.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmmm I beg to differ about the backgrounds he uses. Agree he typically uses this blue but he also uses variations.

In any event, I agree with Lady D that his photography distorts the colour of the gems you see when they're in your hand. I hate to say this because he's a lovely guy to work with but I can't buy from him knowing there's a 50/50 chance I will have to send something back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results