shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
That's a very pretty amethyst!

Here's another trillion, a Sri Lankan sapphire from The Gem Trader's most recent listing. I saw it go up, along with several other amazing gems which all got snapped up right away. I kept waiting for someone to reserve the sapphire and I don't know what happened? It's been 4 days. Is it the size, the shape?

tgt_5.gif
1.33ct, 5.9 x 7.8mm
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Feb13SapphirePage.htm

Well, it reminds me of MTG's sapphire, also from TGT and such a beauty. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-sapphire-need-setting-help.173077/

Somebody's gotta buy this stone! So, I did :o :oops:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Good for you! I was sure tempted! It looks beautiful.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluebirrrd, that was so kind of you to "take one for the team" and buy the sapphire :Up_to_something: It will be good to get your opinion (along with photos) when you get it in hand.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a beauty, Bluebirrd -- looking forward to pics when it comes home.

--- Laurie

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I was put off by the price. Also, it's really lovely but may be a bit dark in person. Let us know what it looks like in real life!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm also looking forward to pics!
Yeah, mine was a bit darker IRL than the photo, it'll be interesting to see how yours compares to the vendor pic. I hope it's gorgeous!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else seen anything that is a buy-worthy bargain these days? Keep 'em coming!

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I loved that Sapphire too...but it was just a little too pricy for me. Should be a beauty though! Reminds me of MTGs, of course.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If the sapphire holds that color inside it should be a beauty!

I've heard some precision cutters say on this forum that trillions do not sell nearly as well as more popular shapes (rounds, cushions and ovals). This is just something I've heard that seems applicable to a question asked about why this stone wasn't immediately snapped-up. It could be wrong. Don't take it as gospel truth, anyone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its a well known fact that trillions present more of a challenge when setting. That is why pears, trillions, and hearts tend to be priced lower than their symmetrical counterparts. I *believe* this sapphire took a while to sell due to its price, which was more in line with other vendors, and less of one of Brad's awesome deals. But I am hopeful it will be beautiful in hand.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love to respond with what I think, but last time, it ended up eliciting a strong reaction from Jeff himself :o ;)) He said he'd come back some time when he had more time to describe his photo process, etc., but he obviously hasn't had time yet.

Does he have a video of it as well?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do see some brown in the video, but that would be a good question to ask Jeff. Where is Corun conun when we need him?

If someone were interested, I would ask again if the photo or the video is representative, determine the type of lighting he used, ask if it is similar in most lighting situations and if it really is that vivid in hand. I would also see if he would make the sale contingent on an AGL lab report just in case...

The cutting looks good and it sure seems pretty to me :praise: :bigsmile:

D

Deactivated member 42515

I emailed Jeff and he told me that amethyst's color is right in between the video and the photo. He says it doesn't get dark in any light and is a bright cut stone.

I'm thinking of making him an offer. Thoughts?

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I can certainly give my thoughts as a lover of yellow sapphires.

It looks like a great stone for someone looking for a massive heated yellow stone. The cutting looks beyond reproach to me.

It looks to me from the video that there is a slight brownish-orange modifier, and just a teensy bit of green amidst a predominately very rich yellow (think almost school-bus yellow) with lighter canary flashes. However, I can comment after looking at lots and lots of yellow sapphires that this is about as good as it gets at this size for a heated yellow sapphire. Often the brown and green component in heated yellows makes them look a little sickly, in my opinion. It could be a great pick-up for someone looking for a real statement stone.

One to ask about for sure if anyone is looking for a Titanic yellow sapphire. I know Jeff will sell for a bit less if you contact him directly and cut out the middle man (ebay).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT|1361153251|3382772 said:
I emailed Jeff and he told me that amethyst's color is right in between the video and the photo. He says it doesn't get dark in any light and is a bright cut stone.

He also has some other pretty ammies for sale, though they're darker. You can see his stuff on ebay, facebook and Pinterest, here:

http://pinterest.com/jeffdaviesgems/

I would totally get it, if you'll do something with it! Its such a slippery slope and you might find that the next thing you know, you have a box full of unset gems. :((

D

Deactivated member 42515

minousbijoux said:
YT|1361153251|3382772 said:

He also has some other pretty ammies for sale, though they're darker. You can see his stuff on ebay, facebook and Pinterest, here:

http://pinterest.com/jeffdaviesgems/

I would totally get it, if you'll do something with it! Its such a slippery slope and you might find that the next thing you know, you have a box full of unset gems. :((
Thanks. I cannot stand unset stones so I would probably set this immediately. In rose gold.
Good buy? I'm just starting the whole colored stone addiction.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm really looking for my holy grail which is a stoplight/blood red spinel with no orange. It's hard but I'm willing to wait.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The yellow sapphire does not look vivid on my monitor. Coupled with the often read comment that the stone is darker in person, my guess is that stone will not look as nice as pictured.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your eye is highly trained, the wait will take years and the cost will be at least $1500 per carat and upwards for a pure red spinel with little to no orange modifier. I often read on CS that so and so found a stoplight red spinel but they all look orangish to me. But if the new owner cannot see it and is happy with it, who am I to disagree?

D

Deactivated member 42515

chrono said:
If your eye is highly trained, the wait will take years and the cost will be at least $1500 per carat and upwards for a pure red spinel with little to no orange modifier. I often read on CS that so and so found a stoplight red spinel but they all look orangish to me. But if the new owner cannot see it and is happy with it, who am I to disagree?
I thought I wasn't very sensitive to orange but I learned that I am recently. I was expecting to spend about $3k... But years make me so sad!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not been looking actively at all but almost all the red spinels I've come across have an orange modifier. How large a stone are you looking for?

D

Deactivated member 42515

chrono said:
I have not been looking actively at all but almost all the red spinels I've come across have an orange modifier. How large a stone are you looking for?
Over 7mm. Don't really care what shape it is. Since its so hard to find one. I guess orange will be ok as long as its mostly red and it has great saturation.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pala sometimes have really nicely saturated red spinels with a slight orange, so check them out occasionally.

D

Deactivated member 42515

chrono said:
Pala sometimes have really nicely saturated red spinels with a slight orange, so check them out occasionally.
They aren't just for trade/wholesale members?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Pala will sell to you through a trade member. When I was looking for my red spinel, I inquired about all the stones they had at that time, and they had the largest selection. I decided to go with someone else though, and bought the stone in my avatar.

EDIT: Even with the largest selection, they did not have a non-windowed red stone without a orange modifier. All spinels shift, that I've seen, so you may have to choose between a shift towards orange or purple. I chose purple because I am sensitive to orange; I have only recently been able to recognize the purple in my stone.

D

Deactivated member 42515

pregcurious said:
Pala will sell to you through a trade member. When I was looking for my red spinel, I inquired about all the stones they had at that time, and they had the largest selection. I decided to go with someone else though, and bought the stone in my avatar.
Oh ok! Thanks. So when I'm ready, I just contact a colored stone trade member and tell them I want a stone from Pala?

Sorry if my questions are silly! I don't really know what I am doing...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pregcurious is correct. Your local jeweller, an online vendor or lapidary can get pricing for you. Pala sets a certain markup, then your vendor adds their own markup, so it is important to select a trade member who works on a lower margin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results