shape
carat
color
clarity

"Silly" Fears

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have any fears that others may think are a little silly? DH teases me about my fear of crickets. When I was little, I was standing in my parent''s laundry room in the basement when two crickets jumped out one either side of me. I started screaming hysterically and jumped up onto the washer to "escape." Ever since then, I get freaked out when I even hear crickets. I have to agree, it''s awfully silly since they really can''t harm me, but I can''t help it! So fess up, what are your "silly" fears?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. It''s not really a fear, but I can''t stand the sound of styrofoam squeeking. OMG it''s like nails on the chalkboard!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
im frightened of those grates in the ground that are above holes that i could fall into and break something in or even die or be lost forever and eaten by rats. some cities have whole underground networks that you could get lost in if you fell through one of those. SO thinks im crazy. But i say it could happen and then how silly would he look?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
When I was about 8 years old, I went to the DR to visit family with my mom. My two cousins and about 4 of their friends came up with this genius idea to tie 5 blankets together to make a huge hammock. So we did just that and all sat on it. Then it came tumbling down. I was in the middle so everyone fell on top of me and I fell right onto an anthill.

Since then, I cannot see nor stand ants. One or two I can deal with since I live in FL and can't really help but seeing them. But seeing a group together and I freak out.

Also, anything floating in the ocean freaks me out...like buoys

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Aww, Sap, I think your fear is cute. That''s the funny thing about fears, they don''t have to be rational.

I have a fear there are spiders under the toilet seat and when I sit down, one might bite me on the bum. I always look under the seat before sitting down.

The thing is that I love all bugs, rodents, snakes and don''t even mind spiders...just spiders that might be hiding under the toilet seat.

KesVayReas

Rough_Rock
Oh, there is not enough time in the day for all my silly fears!
20.gif

Everytime I go into a dark room I turn on the light and check behind the doors and in closets for "bad guys".
I found a baby rattlesnake on our porch a while ago, so now I think it''s mother slithered into my car engine so I check it before I get in.
When I get into a dark car, I turn all the lights on and check the back seats to check for "bad guys". (seems to be a theme here)
Also, my food can not touch other foods, or I can not eat them. It just freaks me out.
I am a nurse and am sooo paranoid about giving someone a wrong med that I re-check everything 4-5times before giving it to my patient.
I think that''s enough for now... I am so weird.

If you are thinking that maybe I had OCD... I think you may be right.
2.gif

KesVayReas

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:03:35 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Aww, Sap, I think your fear is cute. That''s the funny thing about fears, they don''t have to be rational.

I have a fear there are spiders under the toilet seat and when I sit down, one might bite me on the bum. I always look under the seat before sitting down.

The thing is that I love all bugs, rodents, snakes and don''t even mind spiders...just spiders that might be hiding under the toilet seat.
NEL, I always check for snakes before and after using my toilet!! And bugs...

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Blackpaw I so agree with you!! When I go to New York, where those grates are everywhere, my husband finds it funny that I will go out of my way to walk around them. He will sometimes tease me by jumping on one.

My fear comes from childhood. My elementary school (3rd grade) had really large grates in the sidewalk out front. We were walking in line to our buses to go home and one of ther grates gave way and some kids fell in. I''ve been scared of them ever since.

My most huge fear is flying, I have to be drugged to get on a plane.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Oh man. I have a fear of looking out a window at night. I just think someone will be looking right back at me and I'll die of fright. I'm also terrified of walking on a pier. For some strange ass reason I think a heel will get caught (hello, in tennis shoes?!), and I'll just fall through, or I think a wave will come crashing up and sweep me out. This one is slightly rational- I'm deathly afraid of ferris wheels. I can't be in them, near them, under them. Also afraid of clowns. So the circus is pretty much my worst nightmare.

Oooooh, weirdest one: I can NOT stand in front of shopping carts. Not at all. I'm so scared of getting my heels and ankles rolled up on. Gaaah. Just the thought gives me chills. EEEK!
32.gif

ETA: Sabine made me think about my other fear: I'm afraid that I'll jump off a cliff. Not fall off, just JUMP. Like, I can't stand on a cliff without thinking something in my brain will make me want to jump. Also, I'm afraid of standing up high with things in my pockets. I think it's because I had my asthma inhaler in my pocket when I was at the tidepools and it fell out of my pocket and was lost forever. I quickly gave myself an asthma attack.
20.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''m terrified of spiders. I''m also freaked out by escalators, and I have to really take my time and be on the right side when I get on so I can grab the rail. I''ve also recently developed a fear of heights, but I think it might be due to an ear problem I had and some vertigo problems that developed from it.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:02:01 PM
Author: fieryred33143
When I was about 8 years old, I went to the DR to visit family with my mom. My two cousins and about 4 of their friends came up with this genius idea to tie 5 blankets together to make a huge hammock. So we did just that and all sat on it. Then it came tumbling down. I was in the middle so everyone fell on top of me and I fell right onto an anthill.

Since then, I cannot see nor stand ants. One or two I can deal with since I live in FL and can''t really help but seeing them. But seeing a group together and I freak out.

Also, anything floating in the ocean freaks me out...like buoys
I don''t know the root of mine, but I am also afraid of ants. The thought of their little feeliers and their movements, etc just makes me sick.

I am ok with most other insects, including spiders, but there is something about ants that sends shivers down my spine.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 12:27:19 PM
Author:sap483
Does anyone have any fears that others may think are a little silly? DH teases me about my fear of crickets. When I was little, I was standing in my parent's laundry room in the basement when two crickets jumped out one either side of me. I started screaming hysterically and jumped up onto the washer to 'escape.' Ever since then, I get freaked out when I even hear crickets. I have to agree, it's awfully silly since they really can't harm me, but I can't help it! So fess up, what are your 'silly' fears?
I'm afraid of crickets too. **shudder** The fact that they're not-so-bright and often jump at you instead of away from you flips me out. Crickets loved my parents' garage during the fall and winter. Any time I had to get something from the garage, I'd leap from the house door to my mom's car, then from my mom's car to my dad's car and back just so I would avoid touching the floor where the crickets were. DH and I just moved to a new house and I heard a cricket in the garage the other night chirping away... I tore inside the house as fast as my stubby legs could carry me. Haha!

I live in the DC area and my family owns a beachouse in Delaware. So, crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is common for me. However I have this weird fear that I'll be driving along the Bay Bridge (as a passenger) and a tractor trailer will be beside me, somehow nudge the car, which will flip the car right over the guard rail into the bay. As soon as that recent story about the truck ramming through the Bay Bridge guardrail aired, I thought: "Oh crud. It IS kind of possible."
23.gif

Some of my other odd-ball fears: spiders (because they can bite), flying beetles (their poor sense of flight control freaks me out... I fear they'll crash into my head and I'll lose them in my hair
20.gif
), grasshoppers (for the same reason I fear crickets), falling through grates in the sidewalk/road, falling (meaning that the reason I dislike being up high is not exactly because heights themselves scare me, it's falling from heights that gets me)... I know I have others but I can't think of them right now.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 1:05:19 PM
Author: KesVayReas
Oh, there is not enough time in the day for all my silly fears!
20.gif

Everytime I go into a dark room I turn on the light and check behind the doors and in closets for ''bad guys''.
I found a baby rattlesnake on our porch a while ago, so now I think it''s mother slithered into my car engine so I check it before I get in.
When I get into a dark car, I turn all the lights on and check the back seats to check for ''bad guys''. (seems to be a theme here)
Also, my food can not touch other foods, or I can not eat them. It just freaks me out.
I am a nurse and am sooo paranoid about giving someone a wrong med that I re-check everything 4-5times before giving it to my patient.
I think that''s enough for now... I am so weird.

If you are thinking that maybe I had OCD... I think you may be right.
2.gif
I''m afraid of bad guys too! In fact I''m afraid of being home alone. I didn''t realize this until recently as I was never really alone- I grew up in a large family and throughout college and for a few years after I always lived in a building with multiple units. Now I live in a house out in the middle of nowhere with DH and when he''s out of town for the night I turn all the lights on, close the curtains and carry my phone around with me. I also check each room to make sure no bad guys are hiding when I get home late at night and DH isn''t home. I also always look under my car before getting in it at night.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
mine would have to be..

ANTs.

especially caprenter ants, or ants with wings.

*shudders*

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I am scared of spiders, that scream-like-a-little-girl fear. The fear started when DH and I were first married. We had an old fashioned footed tub in our bathroom. I used to leisurely soak often. I would hang my big fluffy towel (because they were still new...) on the high back of the tub and start my water running through the lovely faucet. As the water would rise and the bubbles would foam, I''d move my towel (now all warm from the steam) and place it next to the tub. On one occasion, I moved my towel and a giant spider flew out of it and landed on one of the "girls". I slapped myself so hard I left a welt and ran naked and screaming through our apartment. I felt so violated and disgusted. Since then, I''ve had a completely irrational fear of spiders.

I also have a fear of large attics being left even an inch open. I read a book years ago that was a true story. A guy went into a families'' home and hid in their attic and then murdered them in their sleep. We currently have a giant attic door that you pull down and it has a telescopic stair case, so that REALLY does me in if it is open.

My other fear is open stair cases into basements. People under the stairs!!!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Snakes. Even the teeny tiny garden snakes freak me out.

I used to have a very irrational fear that anytime I was driving on the highway the car passing me would want to shoot me. That''s always been a little nutty of me because I''ve never lived anywhere that is considered dangerous.

I also hate when the shower curtain is closed. It needs to be at least pulled back a little so I can check for bad guys.

And I sometimes have a fear that I''ll be lying in bed, open my eyes, and there will be someone standing there.

Can you tell I''ve seen too many scary movies?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I hate getting rust or chemicals on my hands...probably from the years of being trained and training people not to get bleach,rust,gasoline or chemicals on your gold or silver rings.

KesVayReas

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 2:17:22 PM
Author: sap483

I''m afraid of bad guys too! In fact I''m afraid of being home alone. I didn''t realize this until recently as I was never really alone- I grew up in a large family and throughout college and for a few years after I always lived in a building with multiple units. Now I live in a house out in the middle of nowhere with DH and when he''s out of town for the night I turn all the lights on, close the curtains and carry my phone around with me. I also check each room to make sure no bad guys are hiding when I get home late at night and DH isn''t home. I also always look under my car before getting in it at night.
Oh my gosh, you are my silly fear twin! :) I HATE hate hate being home alone. I am constantly on edge, can''t relax. I don''t sit in view of windows or doors when aloneand I never answer the door when I''m alone. Ditto on checking each room when I get home... I am 23 years old and sleep with a light on when alone!
38.gif

My husband thinks a trained German Shephard would help me, but who knows!! So glad I am not the only one! :)

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wasn''t going to respond to this thread because I''m afraid of everything, but Amberwaves, I had to respond because I am also DEATHLY afraid of Ferris wheels, Clowns, and shopping carts behind me. That''s weird that you''re the same way. I yell at SO when he''s behind me in a cart. I put my hand on it and lock my arm so it''s always a safe distance from the back of my foot.

I''ve never been on a Ferris Wheel, but still can''t stand them. I get panicky and almost pass out sometimes when I''m looking at them.

Also, airplanes. I''m so afraid of flying. I cry on nearly every flight I''m on, especially during take-off.

I''m also afraid of calling people on the phone. Sometimes to order take-out, I half-dial like 5 times, before I can complete the call. I hang up so many times. I''m a weirdo.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 2:30:07 PM
Date: 9/3/2008 2:17:22 PM

Author: sap483

Oh my gosh, you are my silly fear twin! :) I HATE hate hate being home alone. I am constantly on edge, can''t relax. I don''t sit in view of windows or doors when aloneand I never answer the door when I''m alone. Ditto on checking each room when I get home... I am 23 years old and sleep with a light on when alone!
38.gif

My husband thinks a trained German Shephard would help me, but who knows!! So glad I am not the only one! :)

Haha I hate being home alone!! The only difference is that I do NOT check every room. I tend to pick one room and not move unless I absolutely must. It''s like I will deem one room "safe" and the others may or may not be. Hahah my boyfriend thinks I''m crazy.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
i am afraid that i have every illness known to man... there is a west nile break out in PA right now and i am convinced that i have it.. even though i am fine...

i also HATE worms...if it rained when i was in college i would not go to class because they would come up on the side walks. they send shivers up my spine!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 2:31:13 PM
Author: elledizzy5
I wasn''t going to respond to this thread because I''m afraid of everything, but Amberwaves, I had to respond because I am also DEATHLY afraid of Ferris wheels, Clowns, and shopping carts behind me. That''s weird that you''re the same way. I yell at SO when he''s behind me in a cart. I put my hand on it and lock my arm so it''s always a safe distance from the back of my foot.

I''ve never been on a Ferris Wheel, but still can''t stand them. I get panicky and almost pass out sometimes when I''m looking at them.

Also, airplanes. I''m so afraid of flying. I cry on nearly every flight I''m on, especially during take-off.

I''m also afraid of calling people on the phone. Sometimes to order take-out, I half-dial like 5 times, before I can complete the call. I hang up so many times. I''m a weirdo.

okay, aren''t you a Nov. 5 birthday, too? Was that you? I do the SAME THING for takeout. I HATE calling people to ask for food, it just makes me nervous. Flights I''m kind of okay, unless my eyes are open. And DH isn''t there to hold my hand. And I''m not drugged up on benadryl.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 2:32:55 PM
Author: cbs102
i am afraid that i have every illness known to man... there is a west nile break out in PA right now and i am convinced that i have it.. even though i am fine...

i also HATE worms...if it rained when i was in college i would not go to class because they would come up on the side walks. they send shivers up my spine!
HA You''re a hypochondriac just like me!!!!

A few months back I woke up with a swollen eye so I looked it up. I came across the bulging eye syndrome and was convinced that was it. I spent 2 hours at the eye doctor examining my eyes. He measured it and everything and at the end (and $250 later) his comment was "You are ridiculous"

LOL

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 2:39:41 PM
Author: AmberWaves

Date: 9/3/2008 2:31:13 PM
Author: elledizzy5

okay, aren''t you a Nov. 5 birthday, too? Was that you? I do the SAME THING for takeout. I HATE calling people to ask for food, it just makes me nervous. Flights I''m kind of okay, unless my eyes are open. And DH isn''t there to hold my hand. And I''m not drugged up on benadryl.
I am a Nov 5! Even creepier! See, I don''t normally "believe" in astrology, but things like that just weird me out. That''s too, too coincidental! There has to be something greater at work there!
2.gif

So are we now b-day twins and crazy ridiculous fear twins?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I believe we are, Elle!! Aren''t scorpios supposed to be brave? I hide behind my tiny wiener dog every chance I get.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 2:53:55 PM
Author: fieryred33143

Date: 9/3/2008 2:32:55 PM
Author: cbs102

HA You''re a hypochondriac just like me!!!!

A few months back I woke up with a swollen eye so I looked it up. I came across the bulging eye syndrome and was convinced that was it. I spent 2 hours at the eye doctor examining my eyes. He measured it and everything and at the end (and $250 later) his comment was ''You are ridiculous''

LOL
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAH! OH GOD THATS FUNNY! i just moved toa new state and started getting hives under my one eye... i convinced myself that i am allergic to PA milk... went to the doctor - he flat out told me i was a wackado... but no more hives.. it had to be the milk!!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 2:30:07 PM

38.gif

Hah, me too! Sometimes even with my husband in the room with me I get freaked out, but that usually coincides with a scary movie I (stupidly) watched. But when he works late or is out with his friends, I leave the tv on and shoo all the cats out. Kitties make me scared for no reason by jumping up for nothing and staring into empty corners. Eek!

I also have a very rational feer of bees or wasps. I was once stung by an entire hive - they flew into my hair and I had about 200 stings. I''m SO glad I wasn''t allergic or I''d be dead, cause I had never been stung before.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid that I will be in the handicap stall in the restroom when someone disabled comes in and needs to use it. I just imagine them looking at me in disgust as I waltz out of there.
32.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 2:10:18 PM
Author: aprilcait
Date: 9/3/2008 12:27:19 PM

Author:sap483

Does anyone have any fears that others may think are a little silly? DH teases me about my fear of crickets. When I was little, I was standing in my parent''s laundry room in the basement when two crickets jumped out one either side of me. I started screaming hysterically and jumped up onto the washer to ''escape.'' Ever since then, I get freaked out when I even hear crickets. I have to agree, it''s awfully silly since they really can''t harm me, but I can''t help it! So fess up, what are your ''silly'' fears?

I''m afraid of crickets too. **shudder** The fact that they''re not-so-bright and often jump at you instead of away from you flips me out. Crickets loved my parents'' garage during the fall and winter. Any time I had to get something from the garage, I''d leap from the house door to my mom''s car, then from my mom''s car to my dad''s car and back just so I would avoid touching the floor where the crickets were. DH and I just moved to a new house and I heard a cricket in the garage the other night chirping away... I tore inside the house as fast as my stubby legs could carry me. Haha!

I live in the DC area and my family owns a beachouse in Delaware. So, crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is common for me. However I have this weird fear that I''ll be driving along the Bay Bridge (as a passenger) and a tractor trailer will be beside me, somehow nudge the car, which will flip the car right over the guard rail into the bay. As soon as that recent story about the truck ramming through the Bay Bridge guardrail aired, I thought: ''Oh crud. It IS kind of possible.''
23.gif

Some of my other odd-ball fears: spiders (because they can bite), flying beetles (their poor sense of flight control freaks me out... I fear they''ll crash into my head and I''ll lose them in my hair
20.gif
), grasshoppers (for the same reason I fear crickets), falling through grates in the sidewalk/road, falling (meaning that the reason I dislike being up high is not exactly because heights themselves scare me, it''s falling from heights that gets me)... I know I have others but I can''t think of them right now.

Bridges! Drawbridges FREAK me out! SOOOOO scary!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely can''t stand snakes. I completely freak out screaming if I see them in real life and it makes me sick to my stomach to even see pictures of them or see them on TV. My other big fear is heights - I can''t even stand to see other people up in high places or at the edge of a cliff or something. I feel sick and get all wobbly-kneed and my heart starts pounding. I also share the "bad guy" fear and have to check the house when I''m home alone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results