shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your wide band erings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
My bf and I are in the process of having an ering made, and up until now I''ve been loving the process. We have a padparadscha sapphire from NSC that I wanted in an East/West bezel or half bezel setting. We decided on a half bezel setting in a plain, wide platinum band - 5mm wide, because the stone is 5.41mm wide.

Now I think I might have been insane. I have fairly large hands (6.75 ring size) so I thought I could carry the ring, but was this a huge mistake? The jeweler is making the wax right now, so I can still change my mind for a bit.

I''d love to see any pictures of people''s erings or right hand rings that have wide bands - 4-6 mm. I know thin and sparkly is in style right now, but if you''ve got them, please show them!

PA178_1_12072005105930AM.jpeg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you only looking to see solitares?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have a very wide engagement ring.

I love it and wouldn''t change it, however, I want to caution you...I went with WG due to the fact that I am a hair stylist and rough on my hands, and I really wanted to avoid the denting that I have experienced with my plat. pieces before. But, now that I''ve had my ering for 1.5 years, the rhodium wears very quickly and you notice it because it is such a thick, wide, large area. So, just be aware, and factor in "re-rhodiuming" once a year on average!
You''re right, tho...mircopave, 2mm bands are definately "in"...and snuck up quickly, because 1.5 years ago, they weren''t nearly as popular as they are now. And those bands are so pretty, and dainty and girly...they really are lovely...but for me, nothing but my honking ering would do (although my wedding band is thinner)!

Oh, and don''t worry...6.75 fingers are not large...and the ring will look lovely on your hand!

Chicagowinter4466.JPG

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
One more

sunnyoutside630888.JPG

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - that is a beautiful stone!

I don''t have a wide band ring (or any e-ring for that matter), but i do have size 7 fingers and i think wider bands look really nice - a friend of mine has a replica of the tiffany lucida setting, and it looks fabulous. Do you have any pictures of what your setting looks like?

Here''s the pic of the setting i mentioned above....

19kw_tiffany_lucida_1.jpg

Delster

Ideal_Rock
pjean - take a look at Harleigh''s ring, it sounds like it might be similar to what you''ve envisaged for yours. Her set is fabulous!

Harleigh''s SMTR thread

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Hi, my band is just shy of 5mm and the ring is a size 6.25, so personally I think it'll be great! I've seen an anythest semi-bezel set e/w that's about the same size and is was gorgeous!

The only think I would say is also consider your wedding band. I wanted a larger WB so I don't wear my rings as a set; I just don't have that much finger realestate! So try on many sizes of rings together and see what works for you.

My SMTR thread

smtrmerc5.gif

ETA: My stone is about 5.5 mm, so the proportions will be similar to your design. My wb in the smtr is 3.5ish mm

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s my old set - each band was around 4.5mm. My ring size is 6.5

bcring06.jpg

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Those dimensions don''t sound too big at all. My ering has a 5mm band for a stone that is 5x5mm. My finger is a 6.25. Sorry I don''t have any better pics at the moment, I''ll be posting in SMTR shortly. But this one can at least give you a sense of scale and proportion.

Blurry%20ring.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about something tapered at the sides so you get width and thinness? I love feb2003bride''s old band... it isn''t semi-bezel, but it is close, and at it''s widest I bet it is 4-5mm (though I could be wrong)...

trellissolitaire1.jpg

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 12:36:21 PM
Author:pjean
My bf and I are in the process of having an ering made, and up until now I''ve been loving the process. We have a padparadscha sapphire from NSC that I wanted in an East/West bezel or half bezel setting. We decided on a half bezel setting in a plain, wide platinum band - 5mm wide, because the stone is 5.41mm wide.

Now I think I might have been insane. I have fairly large hands (6.75 ring size) so I thought I could carry the ring, but was this a huge mistake? The jeweler is making the wax right now, so I can still change my mind for a bit.

I''d love to see any pictures of people''s erings or right hand rings that have wide bands - 4-6 mm. I know thin and sparkly is in style right now, but if you''ve got them, please show them!

I don''t think you are insane at all! I think the ring will be absolutely gorgeous! I own an east-west bezel set oval e-ring. It is only about 3mm''s wide and I wish it was a bit wider. My finger is a size 6.5 and I am quite sure I could pull off a wider e-ring. I had a plain titanium band for a while that was 8mm wide that I really liked, and for my wb, I am going with an etoile-ish band..4mm wide. It is about personal taste and I personally prefer wider bands. I can hardly wait to see photos. Does your jeweler have any photos of the wax??
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
6.1 length cushion in a 4 mm (at widest point) Jeff Cooper setting with 2 mm band. The plat/ruthenium has held up remarkably well and is still quite shiny.

I love metal. Even though all these thin bands are gorgeous on PS, IRL I tend to notice rings with a wider presence more (whether it come from stacking or whatever.)

Without wedding band (and with my bezelicious earrings)

IMG_0116a.jpg

And with the band...

IMG_0138a.jpg

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, you guys are awesome. I feel better already (although keep those gorgeous pics coming!).

I don''t have a picture of the ring, but I''ll certainly post one as soon as I can. I wanted to have a flower engraved on the palm side of it, to match an engraved wedding band. I also wanted a band to fit flush against it. So we decided not to taper the band, which is what gave me heart failure recently.

I liked the look of a plain platinum band against a more ornate, engraved band, and I liked the idea of having them be linked by the engraving on the base of the ering - sort of a secret. But I don''t know if I like it enough to get stuck with an ugly ering! Hence the panic.

I''m glad you guys have posted so many beautiful rings - I''m feeling much better!

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
here is a shot of my ER. The band is not super wide, but not oober thin either
35.gif

now bezel set.jpg

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My wedding band and ering do not tapper...and I have been very happy with the look! Actually, I love the look!!

I also really like the idea of the engraving you''re considering...I think it will add a fun flare to your ring!

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 4:37:46 PM
Author: pjean
Wow, you guys are awesome. I feel better already (although keep those gorgeous pics coming!).

I don''t have a picture of the ring, but I''ll certainly post one as soon as I can. I wanted to have a flower engraved on the palm side of it, to match an engraved wedding band. I also wanted a band to fit flush against it. So we decided not to taper the band, which is what gave me heart failure recently.

I liked the look of a plain platinum band against a more ornate, engraved band, and I liked the idea of having them be linked by the engraving on the base of the ering - sort of a secret. But I don''t know if I like it enough to get stuck with an ugly ering! Hence the panic.

I''m glad you guys have posted so many beautiful rings - I''m feeling much better!
I don''t think you will have an ugly e-ring at all, it sounds like it will be lovely and exactly what you want. I am really liking what you are describing for a band. Can''t wait to see what they look like!
36.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pjean - i think your ideas sound fabulous and will make an excellent set! I love unique sets and the engraving sounds so pretty!
36.gif

Look at this thread by AmandaFace - shows her reset sapphire bezel with a wide band....soooo beautiful and unique!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-reset-semi-bezel-engagement-ring.73504/

And here''s another sapphire with a wide band that i found online - i lagree the micropave is pretty, but i also love heavier settings - they are so pretty and make a statement!

J980_1_TH.jpg

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori: I''m definitely interested in more than solitaires.

Italianhaircolor: That''s a gorgeous ring! Do you wear your wedding band too? Fortunately (?), I''m allergic to nickel, so platinum it is. (Couldn''t convince the bf to think about palladium - the jeweler convinced him it was just a way to cut corners.)

Delster: thanks for reminding me about Harleigh''s ring! You''re right, her set is gorgeous. I''d forgotten it in my panic.

Mercoledi: Do you find it uncomfortable to wear both bands, or do you think it looks weird? I had been planning to get a band that''s at least as wide as yours, and I wanted to be able to wear them together.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 5:53:00 PM
Author: pjean

Mercoledi: Do you find it uncomfortable to wear both bands, or do you think it looks weird? I had been planning to get a band that''s at least as wide as yours, and I wanted to be able to wear them together.

Hi- It''s not uncomfortable, it''s just not what I prefer. We didn''t design them to wear together, so the fact that one is pipe-cut and the other is rounded bugs me. Also my fingers are on the chubby and squat side, so I prefer to split them up. FYI my e-ring is slightly tapered and still fits agains my w-band just fine when I wear them together. Another thing to consider is that the exposed girdle of the stone can hit the band, so make sure your set is going to be safe to wear together, it would be awful to see anything happen to your sapphire!

PS. I love your engraving idea, I think it''s very cool.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Hi PJean!

To answer your question....

Yes, I always wear my wedding band. It''s one of those small luxuries of being married. That was a huge thing for me, I wanted to wear my band.

Also, just for a point of reference...my setting weighs over 12grams...and I will measure it tonight to get a MM for you!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
My ering is just shy of 7mm and my wedding band is about 3mm and that is if I''m measuring right
28.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
pjean, your design will be great... how can you go wrong with platinum and a lovely padparadsha (I am so jealous BTW I love pads!!)??? Worst case scenerio is that you aren''t in love with the setting and then you just tweak it, no harm no foul!

I love a wider band personally. I had a super thin band (2mm) on my three stone e-ring and then decided to re-make the setting. My new setting is 3.5mm at the widest part and tapers to about 2.5mm... not "wide" but not thin either, and I MUCH prefer the wider band on the e-ring! My wedding band is 2mm and the contrast looks awesome, so consider a thinner wedding band if you are concerned about the two bands together being too wide. And like mercoladi, my tapered e-ring doesn''t affect how flush my wedding band sits at all! So that option is open if you want. Or don''t taper! Both are great looks!

Can''t WAIT to see the finished product!

35.gif
DD

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
PJ,

Whenever I see the word Padparadscha, my ears perk up!!! That is absolutely my favorite stone in the world and I own many of them in jewelry, also purchased by The Natural Sapphire Company.

First of all, Congratulations on your Engagement. Second: WHAT A BEAUTIFUL STONE. I Love the color. It is gorgeous, magnificent and just plain beautiful.

How big is the stone??? I can''t wait to see it set into your ring. PLEASE be sure to post pictures, when it is completed ok?

Linda

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is 6mm wide but it has diamonds and sapphires. I personally love the look of a wide e-ring with a thin wedding band. My WB is 2.5 mm.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer Dachsie: oh, no! You changed your avatar! My roommate''s family have a dachshund who looks exactly like the one you had. Adorable.

Linda W: the stone is 1.08 carats, 5.41x7.24mm. It''s a little on the shallow side at 3.3mm, and the cut is a little wonky, thank goodness. Otherwise, it would be out of my price range because of its colour, I think. I posted a thread about it in the Coloured Stones forum back when we were just considering buying it.

Thank you all for your kind words about the stone. It (she?) is even more beautiful in real life, but I''ve only gotten to see it once, at the jeweler''s. As my boyfriend keeps pointing out, just because he''s letting me choose the stone and ring doesn''t mean that I don''t have to wait for him to ask me to marry him! Once he has the ring, I think he''s planning on teasing me for a bit. Not too long, I hope. Then I''ll post pictures for sure.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
PJ,

I will be really looking forward to seeing your ring. I know it will be beautiful.

Linda

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Here's one of my solitaire...the band is 6mm wide.

I also am tough on my rings and opted for white gold. I have not had any "wearing off" yet and have not had to have it rhodium plated yet, but it's only been about 7 months.

ETA: DoH! So sorry...it's been a rough week...many congratulations on your gorgeous sapphire!

And I see Delster posted my thread that has some better pictures...thank you, Delster! (Guess I should read all the way through a thread before responding, huh???)
14.gif

Harleigh PS oo.JPG

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Harleigh, that''s such a gorgeous ring. And you''re really good at getting fire pictures!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks, pj! I''m really looking forward to seeing what you end up doing. I love wide bands!!!

lightseeker

Rough_Rock
pjean,

Congratulations on your pending engagement! This is my semi bezel east west sapphire on a 5.5 mm band. My finger size is 6.25. Hope this helps.
2.gif

east west sapphire.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results