shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire search--beautiful blue or color changing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is great news! Jeff has not disappointed so far and I can’t wait to see this colour changer.
36.gif

artemiss

Rough_Rock
I can''t wait to see it..it sounds delish!
18.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing the pictures once you get them.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2009 2:52:53 PM
Author: Largosmom
Well...I have found my color-changing sapphire! After looking at two local stones at one of my jeweler''s, and not finding anything I liked, I''m going with one that Jeff White has. It''s a heated, but very clean, native-cut stone that he will recut for me. I''m waiting to get permission to post his photos, but it''s just the color blue I wanted and color-changes to (in Jeff''s words...) grape-jelly purple, indoors. I love it!

It will be at least a couple of weeks until he can cut the stone for me, but I''m so looking forward to it. We are going with a round, and he said there is more than one type of cut in that shape that he can do, so I''m also looking forward to seeing what he has in mind.

Laura

9.gif
WOW that''s GREAT! Waiting for what you want really paid off for you!!
9.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 2:52:53 PM
Author: Largosmom
Well...I have found my color-changing sapphire! After looking at two local stones at one of my jeweler''s, and not finding anything I liked, I''m going with one that Jeff White has. It''s a heated, but very clean, native-cut stone that he will recut for me. I''m waiting to get permission to post his photos, but it''s just the color blue I wanted and color-changes to (in Jeff''s words...) grape-jelly purple, indoors. I love it!

It will be at least a couple of weeks until he can cut the stone for me, but I''m so looking forward to it. We are going with a round, and he said there is more than one type of cut in that shape that he can do, so I''m also looking forward to seeing what he has in mind.

Laura

9.gif

Hi!
35.gif

This is so exciting!! I cannot wait to see the before/after and color change photos! It sounds amazing. Did he give you an idea of what he might be able to do? When I got mine from him, I just handed him the reigns, I said whatever will show it off the best
31.gif
He certainly did not disappoint.

I think color change sapphires are so regal. I''m sure it will look lovely in your beautiful setting
36.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry it took so long to get the photos up...been traveling on business, so haven''t had much time.

Here you go...all "before shots"

First...Jeff had me comment on several of the sapphires in his web-site gallery, to indicate what I thought was too dark or too light for my taste...this helped narrow down the color I was looking for.

This is what Jeff has to say about the stone and its color..."blue in sunlight, to complete purple in indoor (especially fluorescent) light. Think "grape jelly" purple. Clarity is also very good. However, a couple of things to consider: this one is heated. Also, the blue in sunlight is not as pure as the blue in the stones you''ve attached. It is very difficult to get both a stellar blue and a stellar color changer in the same stone. This one is what I would consider a VERY good color changer, but the blue has a decent gray undertone to it. With regard to tone (or darkness), however, it does fit within your desired range."

This first photo is a "studio" photo under fluorescent lighting.

cc sapphire fluorescent.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Next is a photoshopped photo he provided to show the approximate natural sunlight colors...the remains of Tropical Storm Ida were passing through that day, so it was hard to get natural sunlight...but I have more coming that show it.

cc sapphire natural.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Next are two "back of the hand" photos.

Fluorescent lighting

cc sapphire fluor hand.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Incandescent:

cc sapphire incand hand.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
This is after the rains parted...and the one that cinched it for me. Natural lighting.

Jeff also noted that the current cut shows some dichroism in the stone, which can show different hues at different angles. There is a green tourmaline on his website that also shows that property which he linked me to in order to understand it better.

The stone should be eye clean or better when it''s recut.

I have no idea what to do with the cut other than I think a round will do best in the setting. I''ve tried a 7.5mm blue zircon in it and it looks great with a stone that size.

Laura

cc sapphire natural hand.jpg

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
nice color change!
36.gif

If it were me, I would go with what Jeff thinks will show off the stone the best yet at the same time retain most of its carat weight. If that meant finding a different setting, I would do it. That''s just me though
17.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW I like all the photos of this stone. Great colors one and all! Keep us posted!!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my ring setting with my blue zircon in it...can''t you see a little "grape jelly" instead?

Ring  556.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 9:10:53 PM
Author: kas baby
nice color change!
36.gif

If it were me, I would go with what Jeff thinks will show off the stone the best yet at the same time retain most of its carat weight. If that meant finding a different setting, I would do it. That''s just me though
17.gif

I would like to echo this 100%.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! Can''t wait to see the recut!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
It will be at least a couple of weeks...could be 3-4 as he''s got some backlog (wonder which of you they are for!?).

It''s fun to anticipate what it might look like!

Laura

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Have you and Jeff decided on a cut then? or does this mean you will have plenty of time to think it over? did he give you examples of the cuts he could do with it?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh Laura!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

What a beautiful *chameleon* your new stone is!
36.gif

I love it in ALL lighting. Can''t wait to see the finished project!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lynn and all...no, we haven''t yet discussed what cuts, he''ll let me know when we get closer to cutting it what he thinks might work.

Any ideas on the zircon? It has a window at the bottom of the stone that disappears in a setting with a bit of coverage at the bottom, but I love the color and it''s nice and sparkly! I''m thinking a ring...

Laura

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff is almost done with my stone...AND I have a package at the post office to pick up...an exciting day for me!

We are going with a classic round brilliant, at Jeff's suggestion, and cutting to 7.5mm or a bit less...that is the largest that will fit into my setting.

I have no idea how long it will take, but I'm so excited!

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like Jeff’s assessment of the colour looks spot on with reference to how it changes under various lighting. I’m glad you’ve left the decision on shape up to him as he will make the best of what he has. I can’t wait to see the final result.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
i reread my post and it sounds a bit odd! I checked my email last night and saw a note from Jeff that said "I am starting"...so I posted this morning...then checked email again and had a "almost done" note in there. I had missed the first email somehow. Anyway, it should be done very soon, and I have my fingers crossed for photos. It''s so exciting!

The package I''m expecting should be my amethysts from Finewater, which I''m also looking forward to. It will be a fun week. I wonder if I can get my stone into my e-ring before Christmas, that would be way cool!

Laura

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks lovely and I can''t wait to see it when it is finished. Color changers are so much fun! You won''t be able to stop looking at it to see what color is showing. Also for more fun, pick up a portable blacklight and look at it under the blacklight.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh I can''t wait to see pictures. I think Jeff is my #1 choice for sapphires- so I''m thrilled that you went with him!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
It''s done, it''s done!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

JWSAP055.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Natural light

SAP055naturalhand.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Outside light

SAP055outsidehand.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Incandescent light

JWSAP055incandhand.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Fluorescent light--

Jeff''s comments about the stone:

The vitals of your new sapphire are: 2.34 ct. and 7.4 mm. Clarity is excellent, with just a couple of small feathers at the periphery that aren''t noticeable under normal viewing. Please find attached some photos of the stone in various lighting conditions. One note about the incandescent hand shot: this is the color you''ll see in both incandescent and some fluorescent lights. The "fluor" shot was taken under compact fluorescent bulb, where it exhibited yet another interesting, more "rhubarbish" hue. Two natural light shots this time: one in the window (taken in the same place as the "before" shot sent) and one outside on a sunny day (but with the stone in shadow). That particular shot suffers from the strong ambient light present, which creates a ton of surface reflections on the stone. I''ve also included the "after" studio shot.

As you can see, the color remains a lovely lavenderish-blue in natural light, and various shades of purple elsewhere. The dichroic effect was somewhat lessened in the recut, most likely because of the difference in shape.

JWSAP055fluorhand.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff’s pictures really reflect his description accurately. The blue is tinged with some gray in the natural light picture but the incandescent colour is very pretty. It’s also neat that the fluorescent colour is also different. it''s almost like you have a tri-coloured shifter.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results