shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire search--beautiful blue or color changing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I''ve posted in a couple of other threads that I''m searching for a sapphire for my new engagement ring. Hubby is replacing my wedding set after 21 years of marriage, so I''m looking for something special. I have the setting already and have looked at a couple of decent stones, but they aren''t calling my name. Stone size needs to be 7.5mm for the setting...jeweler said that will be between 1.5 to 2 carats, most likely.

My original setting had a sapphire as well, so it is important to me that the stone be a sapphire. I''ll post another pic of the original...though this time I went for something totally different and not my normal style which is fairly small and conservative.

I am still learning about gemstones...have been reading like crazy here. Is it unreasonable to expect to find a really nice medium blue stone that is also a color changer? I love the pictures of the blue to violet/purple changing stones...and the ones with some greenish blue also.

I''m going to another jeweler tonight to look at a few stones, hopefully at least one color-changer. The first jeweler''s sources only had one brownish one, which is not what I want. If they don''t have what I want, I guess I''ll be contacting some of the cutters here. I looked on the Natural Sapphire Company website...love some of the colors, not so much the cuts.

Thanks for your help and thoughts!

Laura

RingLLS553.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Another pic of the setting on my finger.

RingLLS549.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Original set...sapphire is dark, and now chipped and worn looking though it was more sparkly when new. Sorry, lighting in my house is terrible.

RingLLSold554.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is correct, for a 7.5 mm measurement, you’ll need a stone of around 1.5 to 2 ct.
Is the setting for a round stone?
Can it be heated or must it be untreated?

Of course you can find a nice medium blue that is also a colour changer but be prepared for a long and hard search, coupled with a very healthy budget. If you go with a heated stone, it will be slightly easier to find.

Greenish blue is not a desired colour but if that’s what you like, get what you like.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
One more of the setting. I''ll try to get an outdoors shot of it. The wedding band will match the ring...white gold with 3-row pave to the same point on the sides.

I am also trying to decide if the wedding band should be straight or very slightly bent to the shape of the e-ring.

Laura

LLSnew551.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well, one more!

LLSnew548.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the e-ring is 3 sided pave, I would wear it alone on the finger. If you wear something else on the same finger, the diamond and metal or whatever else will rub against each other and cause damage to one another. It looks like the setting is for a round stone?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2009 8:02:11 AM
Author: Chrono

Greenish blue is not a desired colour but if that’s what you like, get what you like.
Exactly, and you can save some cash for this very reason - not too many people are crazy about that shade so prices are lower. Medium blues with no undertones are generally the most expensive (assuming all else is equal). But such a nice setting deserves an equally nice stone, regardless of color. If you''re thinking about getting a rather expensive stone make sure it''s accompanied by a certificate.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yes,I am looking at a round for the setting, though I'm not opposed to an oval if it would fit.

Did you mean I SHOULD wear it alone, or NOT wear it alone...tad confused by what you said, Chrono.

I haven't yet committed to the wedding band, but should get a quote today, so can change. The band will likely be 3-4mm wide, fairly narrow.

Wondering what the expected price range on a color changer would be...the blue stones I've been shown so far were $1500 (rejected...too pale, windowed), $2700--better color, but with an eye visible inclusion, and $3400. Guess which one I liked best! $3400 makes me a bit breathless, though! I have the feeling after looking here that their prices are a bit on the high side, but I am still not knowledgeable enough to tell. I may know more after I visit the other store.

I'd rather know now if my expectations are unrealistic. I could easily go for a nice medium blue stone and maybe keep my desire for a color-changer for later in a smaller ring maybe? I don't know, I figure I should try for what I want first, then let reality set in if needed.

I am also going to Northern Virginia/D.C. area next week and could look around there.

Laura

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I had a typo which I just corrected. The ring should be worn ALONE, even if the wedding band is narrow or plain metal or anything else. Have you made up your mind about heat treatment?

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, we responded at the same time. I would prefer untreated.

edited to add...may need to rethink the pave wedding band unless I wear them together only on rare occasion. I travel a lot and probably won't wear the E-ring in that case.

I've never not had my wedding band with my e-ring though.

Laura

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind wearing your rings on different hands? E-ring on the right and wedding band on the left or vice versa? That way, you can still have a matching set with 3 sided pave on both rings. If you want something unheated, with top blue and around 2 ct, $3000 sounds about right.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You''ll probably find a cushion (that would fit in a round setting) more easily than an oval.

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Dana over at Mastercut gems has a few unheated colour change stones over on his site, but they might be more green than you are looking for:
Tunduru Sapphire
He''s very reasonable in price, and great to work with..I''m sure if you sent him an email, he could get addtional pics and might even have something not listed that might be more in line with what you are looking for.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Largos,
it''s not unreasonable at all, and in the size you''re after won''t necessarily
break the bank either.

My new beautiful bright blue sapphire (see avatar, also a thread around), is also a colour shifter - to violet/purple in incandescent.

Please contact the cutters direct!
The prices and alot of the cuts on NSC are not so hot, in my book...

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I've been looking at Dana's site and he's on the top of my contact list
emsmilep.gif
that stone is similar to what I am looking for. I wonder where he is in North Carolina...the Northern state border to me is fairly close. I was going to drop him an email after looking at the other stones tonight.

Arjunajane...your stone is exactly the color I am looking for if I cannot get a color changer...you probably spend a lot of time gazing into that blue!

Mr Ma Re...thanks..I did not realize that a cushion cut would fit in the same setting...will have to think on that and gives me something to discuss with the jewelers in my area.

I still am worried about the wedding band...I really want somethign I can wear with this e-ring. I don't think I would want the rings on different hands after thinking about it some. When I talked to the jeweler, I asked her if there was any risk of losing diamonds with the two rings together, but did not ask about other potential damage from them rubbing together. I actually considered two thin bands on either side of the e-ring as well. The band may be custom made...if the quote doesn't come in too high. I'll discuss with the jeweler before we commit to a design. I'm going to another jeweler/goldsmith tonight to see the other stones so will see if they have any ideas. Maybe there is somethign creative which can be done to reduce the risk of damage...though I may just have to accept the risk if that is what I decide to go with.

Laura

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry...another question I just remembered...in looking through the loupe at the stones I have seen so far, I am seeing a fairly light main color, with little "waves" or bands of darker blue in the stone. They are not visible to the eye...so I''m not meaning large color bands of different colors crossing the stone. It''s hard to describe. With no previous experience, I expected a fairly solid saturated color throughout...not mostly light with little darker bands. The "to the eye" color is really nice. I''m just trying to understand what I am seeing, and if there is a "normal" to that.
emsmile.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
What you''re describing might be color zoning. To understand it (and other things) it might be useful for you to read THIS article.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
You are certainly right. I can''t find "loupe" or microscope photos on the net that show what I saw, but will ask the gemologist when I visit the jewelry store this evening to look at more stones.

I also sent an email to Dana...and will to finewatergems later.

Laura

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2009 10:03:07 AM
Author: Largosmom
I like the color of the finewatergems stone in this thread too:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-this-considered-a-good-colour-change-sapphire.125796/

that was a very lovely certified CC sapphire just around your specs Largos, and for a great price. Unfortunately it had been up some time and just sold about a couple weeks ago..

I''m sure when you email Gary from Finewater, you will find him very helpful.
He is leaving on a buying trip to Africa (for new rough) in about a week.
The kind of Sapphire you''re after is not something the cutters can usually obtain on these trips - but it is always worth asking them to keep their eye out for you.

Thanks for your comment on my stone - I *will* be gazing into it when I eventually get to meet it in another couple weeks
2.gif

Have you asked Jeff White?

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I had an email back from Gary at Finewater already. He doesn''t have anything like what I''m looking for at the moment, unfortunately.

I haven''t yet heard back from Dana, and just dropped a contact note to Jeff White.

I went to the jeweler''s this evening to look at two stones. They had a nice slightly oval color-changing stone that I like, but am not sure yet if I love. They also had a quite nice blue round for me to look at, bit more saturated than the others at the other shop. I''m going back tomorrow to look in better light, it was getting dark when I was there and I really want to see what they look like in the daylight. This shop also has a couple other contacts they are going to try for me next week. I showed them the stone that Gary had previously and they were very surprised by the color! The atmosphere there was really nice!

I''m also going to re-look at the two remaining stones at the other store and talk to them about the wedding band. I think I''m going to go for what I wanted and accept the risk that they may rub together.

Still hunting...

Laura

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well, went back today to both jewelers...rejected one of two blue sapphires from the first one I purchased the setting from--still a bit dark, but very well cut stone and no window on the bottom...noticed in the more expensive stone today. It helps to get the eyes educated by looking at more stones.

At the second jeweler, I re-looked at the color-changing stone and the blue they had...the color-changer is a bit darker than I really would like, but it''s still a very pretty stone. In mixed lighting, it flashes both purple and blue...just lovely! In sunlight it is a royal blue, under the halogens in the shop, it is deep purple. The blue stone is nice, but still a bit dark. They are checking into a couple more sources this week and I''ll go back next weekend to see what they have gotten in.

You folks are a bad influence though...put half down on a sparkly blue zircon before I left!

Laura

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you bought the setting from one of the jewelers you''re dealing with...will that jeweler insure a stone that you buy from another local jeweler during the setting??

Will they insure their own stone during the setting? If so you may want to really think about using them rather than the other B&M jeweler for the stone.

Oh and good luck with your search it sounds like you know what you want. I hope you do find it!! And Happy Anniversary!!
9.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, progress check...I''ve rejected all the regular blue stones I''ve had so far. I''m still waiting to see if one of my local jewelers can get any color changing stones in. He had two potential sources...one forgot to bring the stone(s) last week and is mailing them, and another one is coming in Monday to see the jeweler.

I''ve been corresponding also with Jeff White. He may have something, but it is likely heated....to get the color I want, I''m considering bending that rule. I hope he sends me a photo or something.

Meanwhile, I picked up my blue zircon...have tried unsuccessfully to get a decent photo of it. I''m going to set it in a simple pendant setting. It has a small window at the back, so I''m hoping that the setting will close that up.

Laura

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad that you are extremely patient. The right one will come along and you''ll know it as soon as you see it.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Hey Laura! I was just cruising around and whatdy'a know, I *found* you!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

I don't have too much to add to your thread, I've always been a diamond girl so I'm still REALLY NEW to the colored stone *thang* -- but I wanted to say HI and also add that I think your setting is beautiful! Have fun in your sapphire search!

Lynn

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Chrono, I must admit it''s hard to be patient...it was really tough saying "no" to the third regular stone, as that was my "plan b" in my mind, but I''ve decided to wait to get what I want. I just hope it comes along soon. I''ve only heard back from Gary from Finewater and Jeff White, so maybe I should try a couple of other cutters. Dana hasn''t replied, so I will try him again. Who knows, maybe Gary will come up with something when he returns from his trip.

Jeff may have something, but I think it''s heat treated...he''s described color to me, but no photos yet, so not sure about it. If it''s a really pretty stone, I may go ahead with it.

Lynn, HI! It''s such a small world...can''t believe there are two people I know here from another forum totally unconnected to gems. It''s nice to have a couple of friends here, though.

Laura
35.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well...I have found my color-changing sapphire! After looking at two local stones at one of my jeweler's, and not finding anything I liked, I'm going with one that Jeff White has. It's a heated, but very clean, native-cut stone that he will recut for me. I'm waiting to get permission to post his photos, but it's just the color blue I wanted and color-changes to (in Jeff's words...) grape-jelly purple, indoors. I love it!

It will be at least a couple of weeks until he can cut the stone for me, but I'm so looking forward to it. We are going with a round, and he said there is more than one type of cut in that shape that he can do, so I'm also looking forward to seeing what he has in mind.

Laura

9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SO exciting Laura!! We can''t wait to see that beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results