carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1313879340|2995244 said:
JewelFreak|1313838960|2994907 said:
Bobby, what helpful photos of the elastic bands on those tiaras! I don't know how you manage to find these things!

The wire at the back of the Indian tiara looks incredibly uncomfortable. I can imagine being pretty unhappy by the end of an evening wearing that.

--- Laurie

I totally undersatnd you about the Indian tiara's wire, but in the same time I think it might be less uncomfortable than it looks in the photo.

Bobby

If the wire is fitted to match the size of the person's head, I bet it would be fine. The headpiece I wore at my wedding went all the way around and it was quite comfortable. Since it I made it myself, I made sure it was the same size as my head so it was fine. Believe it or not, I did not go with a tiara, when I got married. One, that was not really the style then (1995). Two, it was not as easy to track down a tiara (no www.tiaratown.com 17 years ago). Three, my mother-in-law had the idea for us to make it together and it turned out to be quite a special time!

I wonder though, if that wire is adjustable. If it is adjustable I'm sure it would be fine.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1313943562|2995719 said:
Bobby, here is some info about the wedding. Can't wait to see the tiara.

This photo is Princess Katharina of Isenburg at her wedding in 2004 -- can't find any confirmation but assume she is Sophie's sister? cousin? Anyway -- this, says the article, is an Isenburg family tiara; perhaps Sophie will wear it. (Sorry I couldn't find a better picture.)

Thank you for the informative article, Laurie! So far the wedding plans sound quite impressive - with the silver Rolls and receptions in two royal palaces. Last night I read that the dress-code for the dinner is white-tie, so there is a possibility that we might see some royal jewels out of the vaults. It sound to me like this is going to be more or less like Albert II and Charleine's wedding in terms of the dress code (btw, I expect to see them in Potsdam).

Re. Princess Katharina of Isenburg - The Princess is a sister of the bride-to-be, and in 2004 married HI&RH Archduke Martin of Austria-Este. The new Archduchess wore a tiara that belongs to her mother-in-law, HI&RH The Dowager Archduchess of Austria-Este, nee Princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta. I guess you now remeber how the tiara looks and who else wears it often :)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1313947974|2995772 said:
If the wire is fitted to match the size of the person's head, I bet it would be fine. .............

I wonder though, if that wire is adjustable. If it is adjustable I'm sure it would be fine.

I agree with you, Lady Maria - there shouldn't be a problem for the wearer if the wire is not too tight or too loose. To me it looks like the wire is adjustable :)

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1313958080|2995862 said:
Re. Princess Katharina of Isenburg - The Princess is a sister of the bride-to-be, and in 2004 married HI&RH Archduke Martin of Austria-Este. The new Archduchess wore a tiara that belongs to her mother-in-law, HI&RH The Dowager Archduchess of Austria-Este, nee Princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta. I guess you now remeber how the tiara looks and who else wears it often :)

Bobby

Are you referring to HI&RH Astrid of Austria-Este, (HRH Princess Astrid of Belgium)?

Is this the same tiara pictured above? I cannot tell for certain.

astrid%20belgium%20tiara.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1313974947|2996126 said:
prince.of.preslav|1313958080|2995862 said:

Bobby

Are you referring to HI&RH Astrid of Austria-Este, (HRH Princess Astrid of Belgium)?

Looks like she has wrapped her hair around the bottom of the tiara. Am I seeing that correctly? Is that typical?

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
CS - Astrid's style is....special...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BubblyBear|1313981277|2996249 said:

What does that mean?

AGBF

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
At the risk of straying from the topic - here are some pics of Astrid:

astrid%20sparkly.jpg
I'm not sure what event this was.

astrid%20looking%20good%20in%20green.jpg

I adore this one.
astrid%20her%20wedding%201984.jpg

Check out those sleeves! I'm sure they were on trend in 1984.

astrid%20danish%20cp%20fred%20wedding.jpg
This was at the wedding of Danish CP Frederick to Mary Donaldson

astrid%20bow%20veil.jpg
Personally, not a fan of bows. Also, do not know the event (funeral?).

astrid%20belgium%20two%20hats.jpg
Just no.
astrid%20belgium%20feather%20hat.jpg
Saved the best for last.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1313982642|2996264 said:
BubblyBear|1313981277|2996249 said:

What does that mean?

AGBF

Haha - yea, doesn't seem to be a typical way to wear the tiara!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Just no.

LOL LOL!! Well put. Holy mackeral.

astrid belgium two hats.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Haha - she does like to wear headpieces in odd ways!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She looks stunning in the green dress with the emeralds, though.

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Yes, the green dress and emeralds are quite nice. I believe the necklace is another of her mother-in-law's pieces on loan.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1314040417|2996733 said:

She does! Other than that, I think her fashion choices are a bit interesting... :???:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1313984490|2996279 said:
At the risk of straying from the topic - here are some pics of Astrid:

astrid%20sparkly.jpg
I'm not sure what event this was.

Indeed The Archduchess' sence of style is more or less questionable... but no one can deny that HI&RH is a dignified royal lady :) Her husban is so much more conventional in this regard :D

The event was the relegious wedding of Prince Jean d'Orlenas, The Duke of Vendome to Philomena de Tornos Steinhart in 2009.
More photos can be found here - http://www.royalpress.nl/categories.php?cat_id=300&sessionid=a6f46fb80b840352f09b87d9741b9a3c

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

Yes, these are the tiara and the person I was reffering to in my post.
But now I'm a bit confused myself - while most poseters on the net suggest that Princess Katharina wore the Savoy-Aosta tiara that we often see on Princess Astrid, this side-view suggest something else. In this photo it looks like there are flower clusters in it, and that's quite different from the S-A tiara. If this is the Isenburg tiara, then I hope we'll get a closer/cleaer look on Saturday.
isenburg_tiara.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1313975655|2996149 said:
Looks like she has wrapped her hair around the bottom of the tiara. Am I seeing that correctly? Is that typical?

You're not seeing things, centralsquare. Princess Astrid had indeed wrapped some hair over the base of the tiara. I don't think the look was a success and I'm not sure about the reasons, but we should have in mind that this is a difficult tiara to wear.

The only similar example I can think of is the false braid that was used with the Württemberg tiara from the Dutch royal collection:
wopt_braid2004.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1314106000|2997302 said:
There are some interesting headpieces here too! The site won't let me save them, but there are some gems there...

Now that you mention it, I can also see the other ladies' interesting hats. Actually, quite a few of the guests opted for questionable head gear, including the bride. To my surprise also Madame Bernadette Chirac wore something I'd not like to comment on. Among the best millinery creations, IMO, were the hats of the Duchess of Braganza, Princess Sibylla of Luxembourg and Princess Claire of Belgium. The beast dressed guest were (again IMO) Princess Marie Christine of Liechtenstein (née Herzogin von Württemberg), closely followed by Princess Claire and Diane de Württemberg (if only she hadn't worn that hat...).

Here you can see more watermark-free photos - http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/jG_RzwNhyyx/Duc+de+Vendome+Philomena+de+Tornos+Celebrate/1yfL3PznS8Q

To stay on topic, I'd say that the best bejewelled royal guest were (the now late) Princess Theresa of Orléans-Bragança, who wore an aquamarine and diamond set and The Duchesses of Bragança and of Württemberg, who both wore diamond necklaces and earrings.
Another lady that had made and interesting choce of jewels for the wedding was Kildine de Sambucy de Sorgue, daughter of Princess Chanatal d'Orleans. She wore an opal, sapphire and ruby choker that was at a time worn by Princess Marie of Denmark (born Psse d'Orleans). Does anybody know how this jewel ended up in the Orleans family? Was it only on loan to the Princess?

Princess Marie:
PsseMarieOrleans_opalparure_0.jpg

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, but that wedding looked like a costume party all the way through. Was it held on Halloween? My goodness! Bobby, I thought Mme Chirac looked fairly okay compared to some of the other get-ups. The bride's tiara has me bewildered -- why did she wear it with a jacket incorporating NO turquoise (and why did she plop it right on the front of her head?)? She seems to have tied a turquoise sash around her waist as an afterthought to make her tiara match something. What ever happened to putting together skirts, blouses, shoes, hats and jewels that have some relationship to one another? Yike!

--- Laurie

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1314134318|2997705 said:
centralsquare|1314106000|2997302 said:
There are some interesting headpieces here too! The site won't let me save them, but there are some gems there...

The beast dressed guest were (again IMO) Princess Marie Christine of Liechtenstein (née Herzogin von Württemberg), closely followed by Princess Claire and Diane de Württemberg (if only she hadn't worn that hat...).

"beast dressed"...is that a typo, or a commentary on the choice of headpieces? :lol: :lol:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1314152253|2997915 said:
"beast dressed"...is that a typo, or a commentary on the choice of headpieces? :lol: :lol:

Well, that's accorfing to my opinion and I clearly staed that in my post ;-)
I liked the look of an eldely lady with a soft pink (although I'm not mad about the ruffles) and I think Duchess Diane's red dress is quite stylish. Claire's well-tailored coat and the wide-brimmed hat were also to my taste (thight maybe an idea too short).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1314143060|2997827 said:
Was it held on Halloween? My goodness! Bobby, I thought Mme Chirac looked fairly okay compared to some of the other get-ups.
--- Laurie

:D :D :D The wedding was held on 2nd May - a bit too erly for Halloween.
I still don't think the piece of cloth wrapped around Madame Chirac's head is OK. It's just my personal taste, you know. I prefer the way she looked in Monaco to this one. What's more, wearing black at a wedding is a big no for me. But inded Madame was better dressed (and I meann the clothes) than most of the other female attendees.

ETA - I dodn't see a single photo or a mention of the groom's mother. Did she not attend?

Bobby

jean95404

Rough_Rock
Just wondering if anyone on this site has ever checked out RoyalDish.com? I found it by internet surfing and thought, "Oh good, more information." Holey Moley! Those folks are vicious! There was nothing but attacking and trashing of the various royal (particularly Princess Mary of Denmark). Nothing good or kind. :shock: It wasn't sharing of information like here on Pricescope - Royal Jewels. I like to think we support each other and are here to share information and learn from each other. I am so glad I found you people. Thanks for all the kind words and the learning experience. :love:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

First week of school...I'm exhausted...

So on Princess Astrid's look, what is worse: wearing her hair to cover the base of the tiara, or the way that the Countess of Wessex always has the bottom frame of her wedding tiara exposed? The latter is something we have commented many times here. Personally, I like Astrid's look here better than how Sophie wears her wedding tiara.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1314040417|2996733 said:

Totally agree! I am hoping this emerald green color is going to increase in popularity after the Duchess of Cambridge wore it on the tour. I love this color and can't find as much as I would like in it.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
:o

Yikes!

The only person that I can think of that could compete with this fashion "sense" (or nonsense) would be Mabel of Orange. See pages 207 and 201 of this thread...

*insert groan about "oh no, here goes Maria on Mabel's bows again!"* :D

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1314230440|2998617 said:
:o

Yikes!

The only person that I can think of that could compete with this fashion "sense" (or nonsense) would be Mabel of Orange. See pages 207 and 201 of this thread...

*insert groan about "oh no, here goes Maria on Mabel's bows again!"* :D

Oh dear - those bows are insane. For people who are so often in the public eye. there are certainly some interesting choices.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Wut? Two hats glued together like a birth defect? I don't give 2 cents about "royals" and their clothes but since we're commenting on style, this woman has none. We have to suffer every "royal" from a bazillion countries and principalities that no longer exist after seeing how Diana did it? Excuse me. I'm going to go puke now.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1314246274|2998933 said:
Wut? Two hats glued together like a birth defect? I don't give 2 cents about "royals" and their clothes but since we're commenting on style, this woman has none. We have to suffer every "royal" from a bazillion countries and principalities that no longer exist after seeing how Diana did it? Excuse me. I'm going to go puke now.

I don't get the two hats glued together. I can't imagine anyone would wear that no purpose. :???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results