shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
QV's tiny crown has always been one of my favorites. Neat website, thanks for the link, Sweetpea!

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, does anyone know about the Portland Tiara posted by Sweet Pea? I did a google search found info on a diamond and pearl tiara as well as a diamond and sapphire tiara but not this one. It is very pretty, looks like the diamonds that dangle are different cuts. Thanks.

CrystalIce

Rough_Rock
HRH Charlene hair style for her wedding. This was the same idea right?

QV gothic taste 1874.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1312974970|2987832 said:
Hello everyone, does anyone know about the Portland Tiara posted by Sweet Pea? I did a google search found info on a diamond and pearl tiara as well as a diamond and sapphire tiara but not this one. It is very pretty, looks like the diamonds that dangle are different cuts. Thanks.

I'll answer this question in another thread, laurensmama.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
CrystalIce|1313008621|2988092 said:
HRH Charlene hair style for her wedding. This was the same idea right?

Yes, this was the idea - to wear the jewelled hair ornaments over the chignon, though in Queen Victoria's case it's an actual tiara.

Bobby

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Intresting reads love the pics :wavey:

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
i love to wear this item.

taylor-burtondiamond4.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
That's an awesome website...so interesting reading about all of the history of the tiaras. The Poltimore is amazing...so beautiful...love it as a necklace.

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
amazing history and color

marguess of tavistock amethyst tiara.gif

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I am happy to report that my kidney stone battle has been won! I had my checkup this morning, all the pieces are gone, the stent was removed, and I feel sooooo much better! I am ready to get back to my life! :appl:

I found this picture when I took a break from looking for a new urologist (the one I just dealt with was an incompetent fool). The caption said it was the Countess of Carnavon. Anybody have some more information on her and her jewels?

countesscarnarvon.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
QueenShelly|1313036660|2988344 said:
QueenShelly|1313041767|2988393 said:

How exactly do these jewels fit in the description Royal Jewels? There's a thread where the Tavistock tiara can fit, while the Taylor-Burton has been discussed here before.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you're on the upswing, Maria -- and that you've shed the icky doctor! Congratulations. :appl:

Almina, the Countess of Carnarvon was quite a character. Sheesh! She was (possibly) the illegitimate daughter of Baron Alfred de Rothschild, though her father could have been one of several..ahem, candidates. De Rothschild took a great interest in her, however, & in 1895 engineered her marriage into the peerage via George, Earl of Carnarvon, who was broke. De R. paid Carnarvon's gambling debts & a dowry of BP 500K -- about 50 million pounds in today's money. Plus a yearly allowance. The Carnarvon seat was Highclere, which Almina spent millions supporting & redecorating, then filling with guests & servants. (Reputed to have spent today's equivalent of BP 360,000 on one weekend party for the PoW!) She & the Earl, who was in poor health for most of their marriage, were repulsed by one another & Almina had a number of lovers, including one or more of her gardeners.

During WWI Almina turned Highclere into a soldiers' hospital -- only well-born patients admitted. She spent enormous sums providing servants & butlers to wait on each injured vet & a sumptuous environment for them. By then she faced bankruptcy -- saved only by the death of de Rothschild, who left her a huge legacy.

The Earl was a man of strong enthusiasms -- first was motorcars, then aeroplanes, and most famous, Egyptology. He & Howard Carter discovered Tutankhamun's tomb after a few years' excavations in the Valley of the Kings. He died in 1923 (& Almina had an affair w/the undertaker). Their son (reputed to have been actually fathered by the Earl's best friend, the Maharaja of Lepore) inherited Highclere -- but Almina hung onto the Rothschild money that had bankrolled the place & refused to give any part of it to the new Earl. She continued to spend extravagantly. One venture was a hospital in London, where she frequently omitted billing patients -- "poor taste," she thought, as it soaked up her resources at an incredible rate.

A nasty court case involving the ex-wife of Almina's next husband cost her BP 400,000 and -- due to revelations about her list of lovers as well as her "laundering" money to hide it from the Inland Revenue -- her reputation in high social circles. Her jewels & other heirlooms were sold, and she declared bankruptcy in 1951 at the age of 75. She ended her days (at 93 yrs old) in a cold-water terrace house in Bristol, having gone through an unimaginable portfolio of assets during her lifetime.

So, we can't expect any of her jewels to be displayed in museums, I'm afraid!

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
It's very nice to hear that you've finally won the battle with the kidney stones, Maria! My own kidneys reminded my of their existence today but I'm OK now.

The lady in your photo is Almina Herbert (nee Wombwell), Countess of Carnarvon, the wife of the 5th Earl of Carnarvon.You can see two photos and some info about her husban in Tiaras, which, as you must know, is the right place for this photo and subsequent discussion.

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1313094439|2988771 said:
QueenShelly|1313036660|2988344 said:
QueenShelly|1313041767|2988393 said:

How exactly do these jewels fit in the description Royal Jewels? There's a thread where the Tavistock tiara can fit, while the Taylor-Burton has been discussed here before.

Bobby

wasn't the Taylor auction due for November this year?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1313147473|2989204 said:

The legendray pieces from Dame Elizabeth Taylor's jewellery collection are to be auctioned by Christie's on December 13 - exactly on my birthday. Guess what I'm going to buy myself as a present? :razz:

Bobby

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1313161501|2989317 said:
alexander1917|1313147473|2989204 said:

The legendray pieces from Dame Elizabeth Taylor's jewellery collection are to be auctioned by Christie's on December 13 - exactly on my birthday. Guess what I'm going to buy myself as a present? :razz:

Bobby
I wonder if the Prince of Wales will bid on the Prince of Wales brooch? Either that piece, or her ruby ring, would be my choices.

What do you have in mind for yourself, Bobby?

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1313177983|2989542 said:
The sale catalogue.

Bobby

lol. Can't wait for you to scan it in for us!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
No need to scan -- just go to the Christies site. You're sure to spend many happy hours!

December 13 -- just in time for Christmas. Maybe I'll buy myself this, the Taylor-Burton diamond -- though I can guarantee I wouldn't look like that in it! Should we bid on a birthday present for Bobby?

elizabeth-taylor-jewels-240bes032711.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1313188738|2989679 said:
prince.of.preslav|1313177983|2989542 said:
The sale catalogue.

Bobby

lol. Can't wait for you to scan it in for us!

The auction catalogues are usually available on Christie's site. There's no need for me to scan it. If I don't forget I'll pst a link on Pricescope as soon as it's uploaded there.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1313233267|2989932 said:
No need to scan -- just go to the Christies site. You're sure to spend many happy hours!

December 13 -- just in time for Christmas. Maybe I'll buy myself this, the Taylor-Burton diamond -- though I can guarantee I wouldn't look like that in it! Should we bid on a birthday present for Bobby?

Impossible, Laurie! Mrs Taylor auctioned the diamond more than 30 years ago in order to raise money for one of her charities. The necklace, though, is still part of the collection (and I expect it to be sold in December).

Wonderful idea, BTW! A trinket from Dame Elizabeth's collection would be appreciated very much! :razz:

Bobby

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I think Liz Talor was a mastermind at selling hers jewels! The Taylor Burton diamond was sold to a private buyer that is reported from Sadi Arabia that paid 5 million for the stone and had it cut down just a bit to weight 68.0. What i think is brilliant is that she charged the interested partys $2,500 to view the stone to make an offer. i understand there was a dispute from an interested party about the color grade of the stone and it was re-appraised to check clarity and color. it was rumored to be high color and and a lower sI-1 clarity rather then the D-flawless stone reported in the press.i would love to know what the real tale is on this legendary diamond!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Interesting story, Jewelerman. I'd love to know more too.

Oh, is that the T-B diamond on the necklace in the photo? Has another one been substituted? It's okay, I'll still accept the necklace anyway if somebody wants to send it along....

Bobby, which trinket would you like?

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that's the Taylor-Burton diamond on the necklace. I've seen Dame Elizabeth wearing the necklace with her emerald and diamond brooch/pendant and with another huge diamond pendant.

As to the gift - anything with emeralds would work, but I'll leave the final choice to you :razz:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Enough off-topic! Lets go back to royal jewels, guys & gals!

I see that the thread has been dormant for a few day and decided to treat you all here with a glittering royal video from the old days. I hope you'll all enjoy seeing all the bejewelled ladies (royal and not) and perhaps we shall have a discussion on their jewels. Note the future royal jewel ;-)

The link - http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38739

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And here's another treat - a portrait of HSH The Princess of Monaco with the Ocean tiara by VC&A. The photo was taken at the inauguration of the renovated Van Cleef & Arpels botique in Monaco by TSH The Prince and The Princess.
It's intersting to see how HSH wore the tiara - in a rather old way. I've seen a very similar portrait of HRH The Duchess of Gloucester (later Pss Alice, Dss of Gloucester) from early in her marriage (if anyone would like to see it, I'd gladly post :razz: ).

HSH The Princess of Monaco:
char_oceantiara1.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I have noticed in photos that the late Princess Margaret had some very beautiful jewels when she was still a young Princess. I know that HRH didn't follow the tradition and often wore a tiara before her marriage, yet certainly after her 18th/21st birthday. We also know that some of her early jewels come from Queen Mary, whule another part (worn later in life) were The Queen Mother's. Anyway, I was wondering whwr does the Cartier rose brooch come from? Was it a present from her parents, or did she buy it herself? Where do the (antique) ruby and the diamond earrings come from? Would anybody know?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1313534818|2992200 said:
Enough off-topic! Lets go back to royal jewels, guys & gals!

I see that the thread has been dormant for a few day and decided to treat you all here with a glittering royal video from the old days. I hope you'll all enjoy seeing all the bejewelled ladies (royal and not) and perhaps we shall have a discussion on their jewels. Note the future royal jewel ;-)

The link - http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38739

Bobby

What a treat Bobby! It was most interesting for me putting names with some faces that I hadn't really done before. I've heard of the Princess Royal (Mary) and the Countess of Harewood (who supposedly has Queen Victoria's sapphire tiara now) but never saw pictures of the people. As for tiaras, I picked up on the Scroll for Princess Margaret, the Oriental Circlet for QEQM, and I think (but am not positive) that it was the Girls of Great Britian and Ireland for the Queen?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results