shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1312473310|2984063 said:
To the best of my knowledge, The Princess Royal doesn't have jewels on loan from her mother anymore. In her youth she used to borrow the Scroll/Halo tiara, though. Apart from the Meander and Festoon tiara, HRH also owns her maternal grandmother's Cartier aquamarine tiara (redone). None of her tiaras is convirtable. Anne also has two diamond necklace - an antique bow/festoon necklace and a modern fringe necklace. There are also a couple of diamond earrings, one of which can be worn in two ways. The Princess ons a diamond and sapphire brooch, a copy of the Prince Albert and another present from her parents (following the tradition set by QV&PA). There are also some aquamarine jewels (a pendant and brooch) made from the left overs from the tiara, and also earrings.
Empress Maria Feodorvna's pearl and sapphire choker is another important piece from her collection. It was worn at least once by The Queen and then she later gave it to her daughter. HRH als owns a large diamond floral brooch and a corsage brooch (a wedding present from Charles). In addition to all that, The Princess Royal has in her collection a necklace with cab sapphires and diamond, set in yellow gold, and a sapphire and ruby set. There are also a few pairs of pearl and diamond earrings and pearl necklaces (including a choker with diamond clasp). I shall oalso add a brooch with a large yellow diamond in the center (worn last week in E'burgh). Add to all that some diamond brooches and I think these are all Anne's important jewels.
I've not seen HRH with bracelets or jewellled watches.
Just like you, I hope that we'll not see these jewels in an auction any tie soon.

Best,
Bobby

I'd forgotten to add a modern ruby and diamond set and modern gold necklace and earrings with large SS pearl drops.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
QueenShelly|1312486594|2984238 said:
Is today the Queen Mums birthday?

Yes, today we mark the 111st year of the birth of The Hon. (later Lady) Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon (later Queen, then Queen Mother).

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1312487807|2984248 said:
QueenShelly|1312479743|2984146 said:
Bobby what is the oldest tiara that the royal family has? What is it called and is it heavy to wear?
I've seen large stones in necklaces and more pearls with brooches, with adding and subtracting how do you tell them apart?

I can't know what's in the vault and how old it is. There might be a tiara or two from Queen Adelaide, there might be not. But I'm going to speculate and say the Hannoverian fringe tiara/necklace. It's the one Queen Victoria wore at the opening of the Great Exhibition and is visible in Winterhalter's "The First of May 1851". Her Majesty left it to the Crown in her will. I beliebe the exact wording was "a fiamond fringe necklace". I'm inclined to believe it pre-dates Victoria's days as Queen. It was also worn by Queen Alexandra the 1902 Coronation as a girdle.
Another old tiara is the Oriental Circlet, followed by the Rundell (provided that it exists), the diamond kokoshnik and the Girls.
From the extended family's collection I'd say the Kent sapphires, though they might be a bit younger than the fringe.

Bobby

dosen't came the Kent sapphires from the former Duchess of Cambridge?

The Kokoshnik and the Girls are older (in the 1880's - 1890's)

I don't think that much is left from the old times - caused of the Hannoverian Jewel Desput. I just remember a QV said: " not much left." thats why the Prince Consoert designed some greater items than just the memorable small lockets and rings and so..

just goggle a bit.. totally forgotten the State Diadem (from the stamps) it was made in 1820

the George III Fringe is from 1830.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

You mean Queen Mary's grandmother? Might be. All I know about them is that the Dowager Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (nee Pss Augusta of Cambridge) left them to her niece The Queen (nee Pss Mary of Teck). The parure's later story is known.

Younger, not older. At least not older than Queen Victoria's jewels, let alone the Hannoverian jewels.

I don't think that much is left from the old times - caused of the Hannoverian Jewel Desput. I just remember a QV said: " not much left." thats why the Prince Consoert designed some greater items than just the memorable small lockets and rings and so..

Correct. That's why there arent any significant jewels from Queen Charlotte in the British collection.

just goggle a bit.. totally forgotten the State Diadem (from the stamps) it was made in 1820

The State Diadem (how could I forget it!!!) was made in 1820 indeed (for George IV's Coronation), but since Georgre III died in 1820, the fringe bearing his name can't be from 1830.
BTW, I have a photo/painting of Queen Adelaide wearing a fringe necklace, possibly a match.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I did mean the emerald diadem, Bobby, thanks for waking me up. Those 2 tiaras are my very very favorites of the older pieces & I always get mixed up about which was broken up -- should have looked it up before I blabbed.

Re: the Hanoverian dispute -- Do we know what jewels specifically went back to Hanover? I'm wondering if Princess Caroline has worn any of them -- if they survive still. All I can find is general.

Image1.jpg

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
So all the much older items are far and in between.
So if one of the Royal members has something made like from scratch to there taste then its theirs until they will it to someone?
If they dont will it, does the jewerly got to the Royal collection?

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I read this on another forum, but the poster didn't provide a source:

"Actually, Queen Victoria ended up keeping most of the Hanoverian jewels she inherited from William IV. In 1857, she returned Queen Charlotte's diamond wedding crown, diamond stomacher and diamond necklace and cross to her German cousins in full settlement of the dispute."

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I read this on another forum, but the poster didn't cite a source: "Actually, Queen Victoria ended up keeping most of the Hanoverian jewels she inherited from William IV. In 1857, she returned Queen Charlotte's diamond wedding crown, diamond stomacher and diamond necklace and cross to her German cousins in full settlement of the dispute."

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
very intresting information im looking at some of the pictures they are beautiful.

thank u Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
QueenShelly|1312518570|2984610 said:
So all the much older items are far and in between.
So if one of the Royal members has something made like from scratch to there taste then its theirs until they will it to someone?
If they dont will it, does the jewerly got to the Royal collection?

it is not a cause of "not wanting". Queen Victoria "left it to the crown for every future Queen of England". it depets most of the death duty which is payable after death.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1312497754|2984377 said:

You mean Queen Mary's grandmother? Might be. All I know about them is that the Dowager Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (nee Pss Augusta of Cambridge) left them to her niece The Queen (nee Pss Mary of Teck). The parure's later story is known.

Younger, not older. At least not older than Queen Victoria's jewels, let alone the Hannoverian jewels.

Correct. That's why there arent any significant jewels from Queen Charlotte in the British collection.

The State Diadem (how could I forget it!!!) was made in 1820 indeed (for George IV's Coronation), but since Georgre III died in 1820, the fringe bearing his name can't be from 1830.
BTW, I have a photo/painting of Queen Adelaide wearing a fringe necklace, possibly a match.

Bobby

of course younger, not older..

I just refresh my memory and there was some writing, that the George III fringe is only made frome stones from this time. but I forgot where I read this.
may he ordered it, and it was finished some years ago - don't know how long it take to made such a piece in thos times.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
BubblyBear|1312519816|2984627 said:
I read this on another forum, but the poster didn't cite a source: "Actually, Queen Victoria ended up keeping most of the Hanoverian jewels she inherited from William IV. In 1857, she returned Queen Charlotte's diamond wedding crown, diamond stomacher and diamond necklace and cross to her German cousins in full settlement of the dispute."

I know she lost most.

the wedding crown was sold some years ago, under protest of many people.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
QueenShelly|1312478958|2984136 said:
Danny u assume I'm bashing. Also when it was brought up to stop bashing in earlier pages I stopped. I have the right to talk about clothes jewels and hats, and the history of British history. That I love. I find your tone insulting and you just happen to zero in on me. You rehashing old post is lacking and that was put to rest. Let it go. IM HERE TO LEARN. DONT POST ME AGAIN. This topic is done

How strange that you "yell" at me with capital letters and tell me off. And you find my "tone" insulting? And you presume to tell me not to "POST ME AGAIN"?

Your behavior is very strange. I hardly think it fits within the etiquette rules of PriceScope.

Wow.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1312405772|2983403 said:
JewelFreak|1312368058|2982972 said:
Danny, I don't read that comment as relating to Diana vs. Camilla. It's simply an...um...astonishing hat. I read a couple of royal fashion blogs that were universally unhappy with it also. One called it "a detonation of prairie wildlife," I'm still laughing. I agree w/your point about comparisons but also gotta say so if Camilla or anyone else commits a fashion faux pas. However, her choker makes up for it quite a bit; it is always beautiful.

--- Laurie

No, this was not a Diana vs Camilla comment, yet it sounded like Camilla bashing. Of course QueenShelly may not have wanted to offend HRH and just make a comment about her choice of headgear (as she explains), but we can often read that Camilla wears the biggest jewels available, now that "hat", that she wants the attention for herself, fer attention with other mebers of the RF... We allhave our opinions and preferences, but it becomes irrating after a few repeats.

I second Danny's appel!

Bobby

This is the way I saw it too. So I said something. I tried to be diplomatic about it. QueenShelley did have a chance to clarify her comments. Fine. But personally attacking me, yelling at me, and telling me off, not fine.

QueenShelly can learn to listen to others about how her comments come off (about Camilla repeatedly) if she'd like to avoid this subject, and she can certainly stop attacking me personally.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great detailed, up close shot of the earrings Kate wore to Zara's wedding, and on her Canada trip.

I think these are all diamonds.

KateZaraweddingearrings.JPG

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some pictures of my new "royal jewels" (please note the heavy sarcasm). If my stone was 9 mm, I am guessing I have managed to get about half of it out so far.

The diamond in my wedding ring, for comparison, is 1/3 carat.

kidney1.jpg

kidney2.jpg

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Ladymarie it's so pretty and bright.
The gold is lovely, your very lucky :love:

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Is Catherine wearing a brand new set of earrings, our is this a borrowed set.

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Thank u Alexander for the information. I never understood how certain jewels were kept in the family and how certain ones were returned.
That helps a lot
Thank u

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Princess Ann has the long slender neck like Queen Mary.
I wonder if PAnn has ever tried to wear jewels like QMary did?

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
QueenShelly|1312568452|2984926 said:
Ladymarie it's so pretty and bright.
The gold is lovely, your very lucky :love:

Maybe I should clarify a bit more...the "royal jewels" I'm referring to are all those little grainy things. When I talk about the 9 mm stone, it's not the diamond. My kidney stone was 9 mm across before they smashed it in surgery earlier this week. All of those little grainy things are the kidney stones I've been passing for the past week. As you can see, some of them are almost as wide across as the diamond in my engagement ring (I used the ring to help put it in perspective). This is why I've been in and out of hospitals for the past month. :((

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Today, I finally made it out of the house for a little while. This is the first time I've driven to go somewhere in over a week. It felt good to get out.

I went up to small town about 10 miles north of where I live to look at a couple of my favorite antique stores. I've been debating whether or not to treat myself to a new tiara since I added "Lady Lithotripsy" to my list of titles :tongue: and while walking around the antique stores, I stumbled on this necklace and earring set. I thought the color was unique and I had never seen this style of a fake opal before (it almost looks like it has gold flakes in it). It was priced at $25, but I got her down to $15. And it had the box!

It's not a tiara, but here is my new purchase for "Lady Lithotripsy!" :lol:

ladylitho.jpg

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry I miss understood about the stone. No wonder you were in so much pain.
Your wedding set is pretty. I like your next item you bought it is different.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1312504730|2984445 said:
I did mean the emerald diadem, Bobby, thanks for waking me up. Those 2 tiaras are my very very favorites of the older pieces & I always get mixed up about which was broken up -- should have looked it up before I blabbed.

Re: the Hanoverian dispute -- Do we know what jewels specifically went back to Hanover? I'm wondering if Princess Caroline has worn any of them -- if they survive still. All I can find is general.

You,re welcome, dear Laurie!
Yes, most of the jewels the jewels that were awarded to Hannover are known. Among them are Queen Charlotte's small diamond crown (last used by Queen Frederiki I believe), a set of three (or two?) bow brooches, a necklace of large diamond collets (seen in one of Winterhalter's portraits of QV), the Cumberland diamond, a diamond cross, some valuable pearls and other jewels. Awhile ago I wrote an extensive post and there I said that some of the stones from Queen Adelaide/Queen Victoria's regal circlet had to be taken out of their setting and returned to the Duke of Cumberland/King of Hannover. Most of these diamonds come from Queen Charlotte's huge diamond stomacher.
The Queen of Great Britain then had new jewels made as supplements of the ones she had to return to her uncle (including her collet necklace, earrings and bow brooches), using old and unused family jewels and decorations.

There is a photo of the last Crown Princess of Hannover & Duchess of Cumberland (formerly Princess Thyra of Denmark) wearing most of the jewels and it's quite interesting to see her wearing the jewels her sister would've worn in other circumstances :)

You can see the photo here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Princess_Tira_of_Denmark.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
TL|1312548019|2984735 said:
Great detailed, up close shot of the earrings Kate wore to Zara's wedding, and on her Canada trip.

Yes, they are. One can see a link the whole photo on the previous page in one of my posts.

Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1312571832|2984967 said:
I went up to small town about 10 miles north of where I live to look at a couple of my favorite antique stores. I've been debating whether or not to treat myself to a new tiara since I added "Lady Lithotripsy" to my list of titles :tongue: and while walking around the antique stores, I stumbled on this necklace and earring set.

LadyMaria-

If I were you I would definitely treat myself to a new tiara. Oh, what to do! I am all aquiver! Should this be posted in the Royal Jewels thread or the Tiaras thread? One doesn't like to make faux pas in this exalted company!

At any rate, my point is that the set you posted should, of course, have been purchased, but it is simply a bonus since it is not, technically, a tiara and thus does not fulfill the necessary requirements for the Tiara Buy. Kidney stones qualify you automatically for a Tiara Buy. It's in the Rules.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1312528493|2984672 said:
This is the way I saw it too. So I said something. I tried to be diplomatic about it. QueenShelley did have a chance to clarify her comments. Fine. But personally attacking me, yelling at me, and telling me off, not fine.

QueenShelly can learn to listen to others about how her comments come off (about Camilla repeatedly) if she'd like to avoid this subject, and she can certainly stop attacking me personally.

Agree, Danny! I think many people can learn from the (generally) polite discussions and tone on this very thread. Just look at the two of us - we have our opinions and sometimes they differ, we know it, respect it and that's why we're friends (on-line, that is).
Sometimes I think that it's better to ignore certain posts simply because I know this can lead to an unwanted/boring discussions over and over again.

Bobby

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
TL|1312548019|2984735 said:

Are those baguettes in the middle? The 3 bars? They look stunning!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1312584869|2985075 said:
Kidney stones qualify you automatically for a Tiara Buy. It's in the Rules.

Deb/AGBF

ROFLOL!!!!!!! :lol:

I haven't laughed this hard in a week! Thanks Deb! My cheeks are starting to hurt from laughing!!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1312571832|2984967 said:
Today, I finally made it out of the house for a little while. This is the first time I've driven to go somewhere in over a week. It felt good to get out.

I went up to small town about 10 miles north of where I live to look at a couple of my favorite antique stores. I've been debating whether or not to treat myself to a new tiara since I added "Lady Lithotripsy" to my list of titles :tongue: and while walking around the antique stores, I stumbled on this necklace and earring set. I thought the color was unique and I had never seen this style of a fake opal before (it almost looks like it has gold flakes in it). It was priced at $25, but I got her down to $15. And it had the box!

It's not a tiara, but here is my new purchase for "Lady Lithotripsy!" :lol:

Congrats, Maria! This set looks interestinhg and I'm sure it would look lovely on you. I haven't seen many costume jewels with opals, so it's even nicer to see it. Also nice to hear that you were able to get a bargain.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results