carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1312404667|2983389 said:
alexander1917|1312330430|2982694 said:
I don'nt thonk that the Princess Royal needs a new hairdo - it's her style and such an "iconic" one as the Empress od Persia or the Queen...
NIce to have you back here Maria...
Great pics of Princess Royal...

here one of her bd (60 or 50?) just forgotten

LOL The Empress of Persia! The Shahbanu will be delighted if she ever reads this :razz: But you're right- some woman's hairstyle is their trendmark. I can also add Queen Margrethe II to that list (often seen with a colourful hairslide).

Re The Princess Royal - I'm sure the second photo (blue dress+sapphires) was released to mark HRH's 50th birthday. I'm not sure about the one with the black/wite dress. The 60th birthday portrait can be seen in the first post on this page (red gown).

Bobby

I add the Empress because it was her own words! in a docu (about her?) she walked through Paris and in a cafe an lady was so excited to meet her, and that "oh and you also got your coffoir..." and the Empress thanked her in warm words.. later she said.. "the people just expect it..."

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
the black white is during her 50th BD (just a bit of looking into maaaany books..lol)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1312410351|2983480 said:
I add the Empress because it was her own words! in a docu (about her?) she walked through Paris and in a cafe an lady was so excited to meet her, and that "oh and you also got your coffoir..." and the Empress thanked her in warm words.. later she said.. "the people just expect it..."

I most certainly don't object to that, Alexander :) I've always had a soft spot for HIM and consider her to be a very stylish lady even these days. She had the perfect coiffure for formal events during the reign of her husband and still does today. The Shahbanu is a most dignified lady, in my opinion.
Thanks for the Paris story.

alexander1917|1312410757|2983487 said:
the black white is during her 50th BD (just a bit of looking into maaaany books..lol)

So, The Princess Royal wore the Meander tiara for both 50th b'day photos. Interesting, Alexander! Thanks!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I came across this photo quite by chance some days ago. The occasion must be a gala performance, possibly at the RAH, during an incomming State Visit to Britain. Anyway, what intrigued me in the photo are the jewels the three ladies are wearing:
The Queen Mother - The Honeycomb tiara, diamond drop earrings AND the Teck circles as necklace. This must be the first and only time I've seen HM wearng it.
The Queen - The Girls, Queen Victoria's diamond collet necklace and earrings, the Chips and Queen Mary's diamond bangles.
Princess Margaret - two diamond rivieres, diamond earrings and a floral brooch
Given what jewels are worn, I'd say that this photo is from between Queen Mary's death in 1953 and Margaret's wedding in 1960.
Would anyone happen to know more about the occasion?

2490199090094285158WTuNys_ph.jpg
You can see the orriginal here - http://image65.webshots.com/765/1/99/9/2490199090094285158WTuNys_ph.jpg

Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1312336814|2982752 said:
I love the tiara (or jewels) I see peeking out of the princess' hair in the photo I posted, Bobby. Do you know what tiara, or jewels, she is wearing in that shot?

I don't want to be be a bore or, worse, a nag! However, I still want to know if any of you experts know what The Princess Anne was wearing in her hair for her engagement photo with Captain Mark Phillips. Does anyone know?

Deb (AGBF)
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1312415132|2983562 said:
AGBF|1312336814|2982752 said:
I love the tiara (or jewels) I see peeking out of the princess' hair in the photo I posted, Bobby. Do you know what tiara, or jewels, she is wearing in that shot?

I don't want to be be a bore or, worse, a nag! However, I still want to know if any of you experts know what The Princess Anne was wearing in her hair for her engagement photo with Captain Mark Phillips. Does anyone know?

Deb (AGBF)

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

I'm sorry Deb! I really forgot to answer your question... For the post-engagement photos Princess Anne wore her festoon tiara, almost at the back of her head and hidden in/by her hair-do. You must've seen the tiara on many photos of the Princess. It was also worn by Autumn Kelly at her 2008 wedding to Peter Phillips.
Sadly no photos of the diadem on its own exists, or at least are not made public.
Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1312416545|2983582 said:
I'm sorry Deb! I really forgot to answer your question... For the post-engagement photos Princess Anne wore her festoon tiara, almost at the back of her head and hidden in/by her hair-do. You must've seen the tiara on many photos of the Princess. It was also worn by Autumn Kelly at her 2008 wedding to Peter Phillips.
Sadly no photos of the diadem on its own exists, or at least are not made public.
Bobby

Thank you so much, Bobby. One good thing came of my not knowing (and not knowing that you had answered me while I was away from this thread). While I was searching for a diadem or tiara, I came across some lovely, old pictures of the Princess Royal. Some I have seen before, but one of her with her fiancé, who was then Lieutenant Mark Phillips (according to the caption), was both completely new to me and unutterably charming!

Deb

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Anne is wearing the Festoon tiara in the Vogue photo a page or 2 back, Deb. Here are better pics:

13_619.jpg

FestoonTiaraAnne.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a photograph of The Princess Anne at age 21 wearing the Meander Tiara that her daughter Zara wore at her wedding.

Deb/AGBF

ThePrincessAnneAt21InTheMeanderTiara.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a photo of The Princess Anne at age 23. Laurie, it will be funny if I, also, snapped up a photo of her in the festoon tiara and that that was what she wearing in the picture I admired so much! Until I see it on my computer screen after I hit, "submit", however, I will not know what the tiara looks like now, because once I minimized it and shut the other screen I forgot!!!

Deb
:twirl:

ThePrincessAnneAtAge23.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips prior to their marriage.

Deb

ThePrincessAnneBeforeHerMarriage.jpg

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I adore the festoon tiara. It's delicate, feminine, and sparkly!

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
I guess I have stepped on toes again.
There were other people I mentioned about there hats clothes or jewelry.
I love british history. So I guess I'll leave until things calm again.
I did not bring the two women together in the same sentence and it was not insult to Camilla,her hat is weird and it draws attention. :angryfire:

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
So as long as we are talking about the Princess Royal, what jewelery does she own and what is on loan from the Queen (Bobby please). I am assuming she has 2 or 3 tiaras, 1 at least converts to a necklace, etc. While it was wonderful to see all of Princess Margaret's jewelery I was sad that various pieces with some history attached had to be sold for death taxes. I am assuming the Queen had the right to buy back anything she wanted to keep within the family and she may have possibly done so. I really hope that Zara and Peter will not be auctioning their mother's jewels at a later date. Just my opinion. Thanks.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I always hope these jewels stay in the family/ families (I mean this generally, not about anyone in particular). I always think it's kind of sad when historical pieces disappear into the private market.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
laurensmama|1312427026|2983734 said:
So as long as we are talking about the Princess Royal, what jewelery does she own and what is on loan from the Queen (Bobby please). I am assuming she has 2 or 3 tiaras, 1 at least converts to a necklace, etc. While it was wonderful to see all of Princess Margaret's jewelery I was sad that various pieces with some history attached had to be sold for death taxes. I am assuming the Queen had the right to buy back anything she wanted to keep within the family and she may have possibly done so. I really hope that Zara and Peter will not be auctioning their mother's jewels at a later date. Just my opinion. Thanks.

such an auction would be very bad. of couse the Princess Royal owns not so much important jewels. I think the few will stay in the family.
a short list:
the Maender Tiara - it came from Princess Andrew
The festoon tiara (was when I remeber rigt a gift for launinching a oil tanker in the 1970's) - may it will handled as all other gifts to the family
The Empress Maria Choker - I think of a touring Queen Mary in her grave when this should be sold!!!!
the saphire brooch look-a-like the Albert brooch (I think they are some still in the family)
some items more? this mystery tiara from the BP banquet some years ago - which was supposed to be from QEtQM estate.

and about PMagreth - any one know what happend to the tuquioses?

jean95404

Rough_Rock
Re: the photo of Princess Anne and Mark Phillips in the field of flowers, I think that Zara looks very much like her mother in that photo. I wish the Princess would lighten the color of her hair, it would soften her looks somewhat.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1312427026|2983734 said:

To the best of my knowledge, The Princess Royal doesn't have jewels on loan from her mother anymore. In her youth she used to borrow the Scroll/Halo tiara, though. Apart from the Meander and Festoon tiara, HRH also owns her maternal grandmother's Cartier aquamarine tiara (redone). None of her tiaras is convirtable. Anne also has two diamond necklace - an antique bow/festoon necklace and a modern fringe necklace. There are also a couple of diamond earrings, one of which can be worn in two ways. The Princess ons a diamond and sapphire brooch, a copy of the Prince Albert and another present from her parents (following the tradition set by QV&PA). There are also some aquamarine jewels (a pendant and brooch) made from the left overs from the tiara, and also earrings.
Empress Maria Feodorvna's pearl and sapphire choker is another important piece from her collection. It was worn at least once by The Queen and then she later gave it to her daughter. HRH als owns a large diamond floral brooch and a corsage brooch (a wedding present from Charles). In addition to all that, The Princess Royal has in her collection a necklace with cab sapphires and diamond, set in yellow gold, and a sapphire and ruby set. There are also a few pairs of pearl and diamond earrings and pearl necklaces (including a choker with diamond clasp). I shall oalso add a brooch with a large yellow diamond in the center (worn last week in E'burgh). Add to all that some diamond brooches and I think these are all Anne's important jewels.
I've not seen HRH with bracelets or jewellled watches.
Just like you, I hope that we'll not see these jewels in an auction any tie soon.

Best,
Bobby

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Danny u assume I'm bashing. Also when it was brought up to stop bashing in earlier pages I stopped. I have the right to talk about clothes jewels and hats, and the history of British history. That I love. I find your tone insulting and you just happen to zero in on me. You rehashing old post is lacking and that was put to rest. Let it go. IM HERE TO LEARN. DONT POST ME AGAIN. This topic is done

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Bobby what is the oldest tiara that the royal family has? What is it called and is it heavy to wear?
I've seen large stones in necklaces and more pearls with brooches, with adding and subtracting how do you tell them apart?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1312437409|2983834 said:
I always hope these jewels stay in the family/ families (I mean this generally, not about anyone in particular). I always think it's kind of sad when historical pieces disappear into the private market.
Me too. Their history is as important a part of them as their beauty. I can understand having things redesigned to fit the wearer's taste & times better but I always hope discarded parts will be saved in case a future heir wants to use them. Makes me want to cry when I read of pieces being totally erased, like QV's beautiful small sapphire tiara. It's like destroying a painting so you can re-use the canvas.

--- Laurie

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Princess Ann is so lovely in these pictures. The darker hair is not as pretty but is the lighter color her natural color it's pretty.
Zara looks like her mother

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
QueenShelly|1312478958|2984136 said:
Danny u assume I'm bashing. Also when it was brought up to stop bashing in earlier pages I stopped. I have the right to talk about clothes jewels and hats, and the history of British history. That I love. I find your tone insulting and you just happen to zero in on me. You rehashing old post is lacking and that was put to rest. Let it go. IM HERE TO LEARN. DONT POST ME AGAIN. This topic is done

I'm not Danny, but I can say that this topic is shut for me. In a later post you explained that you didn't mean to be be harsh towards The Duchess and that your post was about the headgear she'd chosen to wear at the wedding.
End of topic!

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
the celebrate the 111th BD of H.M. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother

The-Queen-Mother-Elizabeth-poses-for-an-royal-portrait.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1312479936|2984151 said:
Imdanny|1312437409|2983834 said:
Me too. Their history is as important a part of them as their beauty. I can understand having things redesigned to fit the wearer's taste & times better but I always hope discarded parts will be saved in case a future heir wants to use them. Makes me want to cry when I read of pieces being totally erased, like QV's beautiful small sapphire tiara. It's like destroying a painting so you can re-use the canvas.

--- Laurie

Hi Laurie!
I guess you mean Queen Victoria's emerald tiara, which supposingly was sold and dismantled after the V&A exhibition. The small sapphire tiara is (Thank God) still intact and in the possession of Lord Harewood (or his brother?).

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
QueenShelly|1312479743|2984146 said:
Bobby what is the oldest tiara that the royal family has? What is it called and is it heavy to wear?
I've seen large stones in necklaces and more pearls with brooches, with adding and subtracting how do you tell them apart?

I'm not Bobby, but I would suggest it's the Oriental Circlet designed by Prince Albert for Queen Victoria in 1853

older jewels in the RC or the State f.e. the Kent demi parure of amethysts, the Koh-i-Noor diamond, Edward the Confessor sapphire (Imperial State Crown) and so on...

and yes the small saphire tiara also by Prince Albert designed.

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Bobby and Alexandrea for the understanding and the information

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Is today the Queen Mums birthday?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
QueenShelly|1312479743|2984146 said:

I can't know what's in the vault and how old it is. There might be a tiara or two from Queen Adelaide, there might be not. But I'm going to speculate and say the Hannoverian fringe tiara/necklace. It's the one Queen Victoria wore at the opening of the Great Exhibition and is visible in Winterhalter's "The First of May 1851". Her Majesty left it to the Crown in her will. I beliebe the exact wording was "a fiamond fringe necklace". I'm inclined to believe it pre-dates Victoria's days as Queen. It was also worn by Queen Alexandra the 1902 Coronation as a girdle.
Another old tiara is the Oriental Circlet, followed by the Rundell (provided that it exists), the diamond kokoshnik and the Girls.
From the extended family's collection I'd say the Kent sapphires, though they might be a bit younger than the fringe.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results