shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

cnkav

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for starting this thread, I love it and keep checking back for more.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2007 11:34:18 AM
Author: UCLABelle
How cute is Prince Carl Philip!!!!
I agree - totally the hottie of the European Princes. Def. the cutest still available!
1.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2007 12:41:32 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I just got notice of the Sotheby''s Magnificent Jewels catalog for the NYC auction being on line and I found the following:

AMETHYST AND DIAMOND NECKLACE, CIRCA 1900
The foliate garlands decorated with 5 hexagonal amethysts set as swing centers within circular wreaths, alternating with pear-shaped scrolls, set with 13 old European-cut diamonds weighing approximately 8.50 carats, 69 old European-cut diamonds weighing approximately 10.00 carats and numerous smaller old-mine and rose-cut diamonds weighing approximately 5.00 carats, mounted in silver and gold, length 17 inches, 4 diamonds missing. Together with a wood box of octagonal shape stamped on the lid: The Property of Her Majesty The Late Queen Alexandra.

PROVENANCE
Sotheby''s London, March 24, 1988, lot 188. A note following the description states that the necklace was purchased from Wartski in 1958 as part of the collection of jewels of Queen Alexandra.

EXHIBITED
Tiaras, The Victoria and Albert Museum, London, March 21-July 14, 2002.

LITERATURE AND REFERENCES
Geoffrey C. Munn, Tiaras: A History of Splendour, pl. 96, p. 117. The present necklace, when supported on a frame, may also be worn as a tiara.

CATALOGUE NOTE
Alexandra of Denmark (1844-1925) was Princess of Wales from 1863 until 1901 after which she became Queen Consort to Edward VII of the United Kingdom and also Empress of India. After the death of her Edward VII in 1910, she became the Queen Mother as both queen and the mother of the reigning monarch George V.
Cool! I''ll try to see if I can find a photo of her wearing it.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
A great thread!please keep the great pics and comments coming!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This week Sarah Duchess of York launched a new series of children''s books she has written. The books are called Helping Hands and are designed as advice books for children.

sarah11-15-2007a.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Sarah was wearing a diamond encrusted "key" pendant that I haven''t seen before. Hard to tell if it is real or costume jewelry.

sarah11-15-2007.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The Queen and Prince Philip posed for this photo on their honeymoon 60 years ago. The Queen''s necklace is a wedding gift from her father George VI and the booch is a huge sapphire. It is known as the "Albert brooch" because it was a wedding gift from Prince Albert to Queen Victoria.

queenhoneymoon.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
60 happy years of marriage later the Queen and Philip recreated the moment - right down to wearing the same jewelry!

60thanniversary.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
That''s a lovely juxtaposition of them as a couple!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I just got back from seeing the Crown Jewels this pm. By doing gift aid for our tickets, FI and I have unlimited free access for a year (It's over $30 each otherwise).

They are so going to know me by this time next year. It was pretty empty today, so I went on the moving walkways about 10 times.
31.gif

FI did 3 goes!

One of my BFF is handling the publicity for Fergie's new books. She rang me up the other day and said that she was the biggest B****H and the rudest person she had ever met, and that she treated her staff really badly. I have never seen my friend rattled by anyone, but she was fuming that day.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Prince Charles and Camilla threw a family party yesterday at their London home Clarence House for the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh top celebrate thier diamond wedding anniversary.

These wonderful family portraits were issued!

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh with their children. From the left:

Front row: Prince Charles, the Queen and the Duke
Back row: Andrew, Anne and Edward

queendiamondanniversaryfamilyportrait3.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Even better is this one of the extended RF. The only people missing are the Duchess of Kent and Lady Louise Wessex. It is the firts time that Peter Phillips'' fiancee Autumn Kelly has been pictured with her soon to be family-in-law.

queendiamondanniversaryfamilyportrait2.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! That last one got a bit blurry when I had to downsize it. Some of the RF look like they were hitting the sauce a little early at the party!
2.gif

susi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 3:22:52 AM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
The Queen and Prince Philip posed for this photo on their honeymoon 60 years ago. The Queen''s necklace is a wedding gift from her father George VI and the booch is a huge sapphire. It is known as the ''Albert brooch'' because it was a wedding gift from Prince Albert to Queen Victoria.
LadyA, please help me with this one, if you will? I''ve been looking for two days now for info on this brooch as I don''t feel it''s Albert''s brooch. The reason is that Albert''s brooch was/is crown property to be worn by the Monarch, which Princess Elizabeth wasn''t at the time the first pic was taken.

Perhaps her Mum let her borrow the piece for her honeymoon ( The King and Queen did present Princess E with the Crown Pearls as a "wedding gift" even tho Princess E was not the Monarch....sooooo anything is possible ) but, alll this said, somewhere in the back of my memory there is a sapphire brooch composed of multi sapphire stones surrounded by diamonds. Like a cluster of sapphires with diamonds around it and the pic above seems to me to be showing this brooch.

I remember reading that Queen Elizabeth, after the King''s death, of course passed this Albert''s brooch as crown property to her daughter, the new Queen but QE also retained an almost identical brooch for her own use. Also read that some time later another brooch very similar to these came on the market and The Queen bought it for Princess Anne. So there are at least two other very similar brooches to "Albert''s Brooch" in the Royal family.

But, I''m stumped on the brooch in the picture. Is there, was there a cluster sapphire brooch surrounded by diamonds? Or does it only reside in my mind
20.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, is it me or does Mark Phillips look a LOT like his cousin William? Though *GASP* I think Mark is better looking
emwink.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 8:37:40 AM
Author: susi

Date: 11/18/2007 3:22:52 AM
The Queen and Prince Philip posed for this photo on their honeymoon 60 years ago. The Queen''s necklace is a wedding gift from her father George VI and the booch is a huge sapphire. It is known as the ''Albert brooch'' because it was a wedding gift from Prince Albert to Queen Victoria.
LadyA, please help me with this one, if you will? I''ve been looking for two days now for info on this brooch as I don''t feel it''s Albert''s brooch. The reason is that Albert''s brooch was/is crown property to be worn by the Monarch, which Princess Elizabeth wasn''t at the time the first pic was taken.

Perhaps her Mum let her borrow the piece for her honeymoon ( The King and Queen did present Princess E with the Crown Pearls as a ''wedding gift'' even tho Princess E was not the Monarch....sooooo anything is possible ) but, alll this said, somewhere in the back of my memory there is a sapphire brooch composed of multi sapphire stones surrounded by diamonds. Like a cluster of sapphires with diamonds around it and the pic above seems to me to be showing this brooch.

I remember reading that Queen Elizabeth, after the King''s death, of course passed this Albert''s brooch as crown property to her daughter, the new Queen but QE also retained an almost identical brooch for her own use. Also read that some time later another brooch very similar to these came on the market and The Queen bought it for Princess Anne. So there are at least two other very similar brooches to ''Albert''s Brooch'' in the Royal family.

But, I''m stumped on the brooch in the picture. Is there, was there a cluster sapphire brooch surrounded by diamonds? Or does it only reside in my mind
20.gif
You know what - I think you are right. I totally misspoke when I called it THE Albert Brooch. I should have said that it is simply a brooch that is thought to have been given by Prince Albert to Queen Victoria as a wedding present. It does look like a sapphire cluster brooch and there are more and smaller diamonds around the edge. I don''t have any more info on it thatn that unfortunately & I don''t think I have seen an upclose picture of it on it is own.
8.gif

The brooch known as the Albert Brooch is a single large sapphire surrounded by diamonds. I''ll attach a photo. This style of brooch - large sapphire & diamond surround - is really popular amongst the royals. The QM, Princess Anne, Princess Diana all have one and I think the Queen has several.

ALBERTBROOCH.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pictures Lady A. Again, thank you so much for posting all of these beautiful pictures.

Linda

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Ok - found out some info on the brooch. It is known as the "Sapphire Chrysanthemum Brooch". It is in the shape of a chrysanthemum. I''ll have to search my photos to see if I can find one of the Queen wearing it. I hope I have one because I don''t think she wears it too often.

susi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 2:47:34 PM
Ok - found out some info on the brooch. It is known as the 'Sapphire Chrysanthemum Brooch'. It is in the shape of a chrysanthemum. I'll have to search my photos to see if I can find one of the Queen wearing it. I hope I have one because I don't think she wears it too often.
Now, that would make sense! The brooch Princess Elizabeth wore in her honeymoon pic and in the 60th anniversary pic DOES look like a chrysanthemum!

I hope a closer picture of it turns up, but, at any rate, thanks, very much, for the additional information!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Found one! Found one! I feel like a super sleuth right now.
2.gif

The Queen wearing the ''Sapphire Chrysanthemum Brooch''.

queen2t.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Finally! I found information on the origin of the Sapphire Chrysanthemum Brooch!

"This is a platinum set chrysanthemum brooch with sapphire stamens and diamond petals and stem, which had been a gift from Sir John Laing and Sons Ltd and the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company Ltd when she launched the oil tanker British Princess at Sunderland in 1946."

So that means that the news paper reports saying that the brooch was a gift from Prince Albert to Queen Victoria were WRONG! Thanks for the good eye Susi!
1.gif

And I found another photo of the Queen wearing it.

queenchrysanthemumbrooch.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2007 12:41:32 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I just got notice of the Sotheby''s Magnificent Jewels catalog for the NYC auction being on line and I found the following:

AMETHYST AND DIAMOND NECKLACE, CIRCA 1900
The foliate garlands decorated with 5 hexagonal amethysts set as swing centers within circular wreaths, alternating with pear-shaped scrolls, set with 13 old European-cut diamonds weighing approximately 8.50 carats, 69 old European-cut diamonds weighing approximately 10.00 carats and numerous smaller old-mine and rose-cut diamonds weighing approximately 5.00 carats, mounted in silver and gold, length 17 inches, 4 diamonds missing. Together with a wood box of octagonal shape stamped on the lid: The Property of Her Majesty The Late Queen Alexandra.

PROVENANCE
Sotheby''s London, March 24, 1988, lot 188. A note following the description states that the necklace was purchased from Wartski in 1958 as part of the collection of jewels of Queen Alexandra.

EXHIBITED
Tiaras, The Victoria and Albert Museum, London, March 21-July 14, 2002.

LITERATURE AND REFERENCES
Geoffrey C. Munn, Tiaras: A History of Splendour, pl. 96, p. 117. The present necklace, when supported on a frame, may also be worn as a tiara.

CATALOGUE NOTE
Alexandra of Denmark (1844-1925) was Princess of Wales from 1863 until 1901 after which she became Queen Consort to Edward VII of the United Kingdom and also Empress of India. After the death of her Edward VII in 1910, she became the Queen Mother as both queen and the mother of the reigning monarch George V.
I wasn''t able to find a photo of Queen Alexandra wearing this necklace - but I did find this one of Kelly Johnson (Don Johnson''s wife) wearing the necklace. She is related to the Getty family who are the current owners of the necklace so presumbly she borrowed it from them.

QAlexandrasAmethystNecklace.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Lady A, is there any info on the sapphire in that amazing brooch?! I''m guessing it''s a gen-yoo-ine Kashmiri sapphire with that stunning, hypnotic royal blue color..wow! And those surrounding old cuts aren''t too shabby either!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Good morning everyone,
i am one of the forum that is drawn to the blue of the prince albert brooch!I will also do some research from a few of my books on the crown jewels and see what i can come up with. i read that when the queens consort passed away she never got over his passing and always dressed in dark mourning wear for several years afterwards, but wore the pin constantly...calling it her favorite jewel.The necklace on don johnsons wife is stunning!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
while im thinking about it...does anyone have interest in discussing the Russian crown jewels or the jewels of Nickolas and alexsandra(sorry about spelling...late night at work)There is a relation between the english and russian familys because(if i remember correctly) Alexsandra was mary''s sister and married into the russian family.I have a true obsession with the jewels and mini-carvings of Carl Fabrage.Many of the emerald and pearl jewels became part of the english royals private collections after the escape of the russian royals to england after the russian revolution of 1917.I WOULD LOVE TO SEE PICTURES OF Fabrages work on this thread!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Nicholas II and George V were first cousins. His mohter, Empress Marie, was Queen Alexandra''s sister; both were Danish princesses. Empress Alexandra was also a first cousin of George V - her mother was Princess Alice, Queen Victoria''s second daughter (making her also a first cousin of Kaiser Wilhelm II).

The Faberge things are so beautiful, though I prefer the jewelry and other smaller pieces to the grand Easter eggs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All Russian royal jewels are welcome. As beautiful as the Farbrage, I am unable to appreciate them as fully as jewels. I''m sorry but they are like jewel encrusted eggs to me.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
maybe i am misinformed but i do not think that the faberge only refers to eggs?

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 11:32:24 AM
Author: surfgirl
Lady A, is there any info on the sapphire in that amazing brooch?! I''m guessing it''s a gen-yoo-ine Kashmiri sapphire with that stunning, hypnotic royal blue color..wow! And those surrounding old cuts aren''t too shabby either!
I have tons of info on the Albert Brooch. I''ll get together something on it with lots of pictures of the Queen wearing it. Not until after Thanksgiving though probably - guests coming over for dinner and of course I''ve come down with a cold!!!
38.gif
40.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results