shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love seeing these pictures! But Letizia looks extremely thin to me especially right after having a baby.

(Oh, and two of my kids had blonde hair when they were young and both turned darker as they grew up.)

matildawong

Shiny_Rock
Sorry if I missed this, but is "Infanta" what they call a daughter of a king and queen in Spain? Does it mean "princess?"

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2007 2:52:22 AM
Author: matildawong
Sorry if I missed this, but is ''Infanta'' what they call a daughter of a king and queen in Spain? Does it mean ''princess?''
Essentially yes. I think both of them were given Ducal titles on their marriage so they also have the rank of Duchess.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2007 11:11:00 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I love seeing these pictures! But Letizia looks extremely thin to me especially right after having a baby.

(Oh, and two of my kids had blonde hair when they were young and both turned darker as they grew up.)
I agree - she is way too thin!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly have announced today that they will be married in May of next year in Saint Georges Chapel which is in Windsor Castle. It was most recently the site of the "commitment ceremony" for Prince Charles and Camilla and also the wedding of Prince Edward and Sophie. So we will probably get to see the wedding party on the steps of the chapel after the ceremony.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This is Princess Madeline of Sweden in New York this week for a gala in aid of a children''s charity.

madelinenewyork2007.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This is Queen Silvia of Sweden at the same event this week. Nice emeralds!

queensilvianewyork2007.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This is a portrait of the Swedish Royal Family taken in 2006. From the left are:

Princess Madeline, King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Prince Carl Philip and Crown Princess Victoria.

swedishroyals2006.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here again are the Swedish Royals. From the left:

The older lady I think is called Princess Lillian, the King Carl Gustaf and behind him is Princess Madeline, Queen Silvia with Prince Carl Gustaf behind her and then Crown Princess Victoria.

swedishroyals.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This is a slightly older photo of the Swedish Royals in 2004 at the wedding of Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark to Mary Donaldson. From the left:

Victoria, Carl Philip, Madeline, Silvia and Carl Gustaf.

swedishroyalsatmarywedding.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf in 2001 at the wedding of Crown Prince Haakon of Norway to Mette-Marit.

swedenqueensylviakinggustaavmmwedding.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Crown Princess Victoria and her brother Carl Philip at the 2001 wedding of the Crown Prince of Norway.

victoriaswedenmmwedding.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE this thread! Thanks so much for all of you that have posted pics. The tiaras are spectacular. I remember going to a museum showing of tiaras on loan from various families and others on loan by various governments. They were [are] gorgeous. I can't remember where the exhibition was, though! LOL!

Also, I have had a couple of questions about the British Royals that one of you may be able to answer:

1. Why/how is it that some couples are king and queen yet others are not. In particular, you have Queen Elizabeth yet her husband is Prince Phillip. Why is he not King Phillip?

2. I have never heard Prince Phillip speak. I know he is from Greece. Does he have a Greek accent? [{I am a Venetian/Croatian [Cres] in the US so I am sensitive to this kind of stuff. LOL!]

Thanks.

DB

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I have the world''s stupidst question... Does it make any difference the way the royals wear their sashes (i.e., over their left shoulder or right)?

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2007 9:17:15 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I LOVE this thread! Thanks so much for all of you that have posted pics. The tiaras are spectacular. I remember going to a museum showing of tiaras on loan from various families and others on loan by various governments. They were [are] gorgeous. I can''t remember where the exhibition was, though! LOL!

Also, I have had a couple of questions about the British Royals that one of you may be able to answer:

1. Why/how is it that some couples are king and queen yet others are not. In particular, you have Queen Elizabeth yet her husband is Prince Phillip. Why is he not King Phillip?

2. I have never heard Prince Phillip speak. I know he is from Greece. Does he have a Greek accent? [{I am a Venetian/Croatian [Cres] in the US so I am sensitive to this kind of stuff. LOL!]

Thanks.

DB
1- Would be a long & drawn out answer! The short version is that in a very few countries (I think only 2) the spouse of the reigning monarch - either male or female, will automatically become either Queen or King. But in most countries the spouse becomes merely a "Queen Consort" or a "King Consort". In some contries, like England, a female spouse becomes a Queen Consort but a male spouse will only become a Prince Consort. I think this was essentially an attempt to prevent a male foreginer from coming in and ruling over the natural Queen. Obviously this comes from the olden days perception of women as weaker and usually in the laws of the country the female took on the rank of her spouse. So in the event that there was a female ruler it had to be clear that she was still the head of the country. So you couldn''t give the male spouse the rank of King.

2 - Prince Philip speaks with a British accent. He isn''t actually Greek although he was a Prince of the ruling Greek RF. The Greek RF is actually a junior branch of the Danish RF. And if you go back far enough most of the have a German origin. So, although Prince Philip is a Greek Prince in ethnicity he is Danish/German. He is famous for his rude and racist remarks so maybe it''s a good think you haven''t heard him speak!
2.gif
There was an extensive interview with him in a tv program I saw on the restoration of Windsor Castle after the fire so if you are curious you could track that down. I think Anne and Andrew were the other featured royals.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2007 9:31:22 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
OK, I have the world''s stupidst question... Does it make any difference the way the royals wear their sashes (i.e., over their left shoulder or right)?
Totally not a stupid question! I''m not sure if it has a meaning which shoulder the sash is worn on. I''m tempted to say it does not but then again it may because sometimes it seems everything else in royal life is ruled by tradition and obscure meanings!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2007 1:11:27 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Lady Amythyst, I do so appreciate all the work you''ve put into this thread. I love it, I really do. It only affirms I am not crazy in happily enjoying the royals..
1.gif
Thank you.
1.gif
I''m glad I have other people to share my mania with!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh, I saw that show about Windsor, I think, on PBS! Was it the one where they showed how they put together a state dinner? What I watched was absolutely fascinating. I''m guessing it''s the same one. I thought it was so funny how they relplaced the artwork in the dining area to be more politically friendly. I really liked Prince Phillip''s persona in those interviews (he seemed very warm, real) - so I would have never guessed from that show (probably the most I''ve ever seen from Prince Phillip) that he''s a supreme jerk. Boo to that.

And...I know I''ve said this before...but I LOVE THIS THREAD! I especially love what''s been added about the Spanish royal family. My mother teaches Spanish, and I used to love it when she''d buy magazines that featured them for her classroom. My mom has a huge poster of Queen Sophia from the 70''s in her classroom - the gown the queen is wearing is the exact same pattern as my mom''s wedding gown (complete accident - my mom didn''t plan it that way). I''ll try to track down the photo, it''s very pretty. IMO, they''re very classy/sophisticated in terms of their fashion and have a very distinct Spanish style that I just adore.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2007 1:29:38 AM
Author: Elmorton
Oooooh, I saw that show about Windsor, I think, on PBS! Was it the one where they showed how they put together a state dinner? What I watched was absolutely fascinating. I''m guessing it''s the same one. I thought it was so funny how they relplaced the artwork in the dining area to be more politically friendly. I really liked Prince Phillip''s persona in those interviews (he seemed very warm, real) - so I would have never guessed from that show (probably the most I''ve ever seen from Prince Phillip) that he''s a supreme jerk. Boo to that.

And...I know I''ve said this before...but I LOVE THIS THREAD! I especially love what''s been added about the Spanish royal family. My mother teaches Spanish, and I used to love it when she''d buy magazines that featured them for her classroom. My mom has a huge poster of Queen Sophia from the 70''s in her classroom - the gown the queen is wearing is the exact same pattern as my mom''s wedding gown (complete accident - my mom didn''t plan it that way). I''ll try to track down the photo, it''s very pretty. IMO, they''re very classy/sophisticated in terms of their fashion and have a very distinct Spanish style that I just adore.
I think Prince Philip can be very warm and charming - esp. with subjects he cares about like historic preservation and wildlife preservation. But he also has a very old fashioned, super-privilaged world view that just comes out sometimes. I think that sometimes he is trying to be funny but doesn''t realize that his jokes are extremely un-pc! Like remarking to British soldiers serving in Hong Kong that he hopes they don''t come back "slitty eyed" like the natives!!! Hello! Not cool. Yikes!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
How about a family portrait of the Yorks? Here they are in the mid-nineties.

Sarah Duchess of York with Princess Beatrice in front of her and Prince Andrew with Princess Eugenie in front of him.

It drove me crazy how Sarah dressed them like twins all the time! But it is a very royal thing to do - esp. with girls. If you look back at the old b&w pictures the girls within a family are almost always dressed alike.

yorks.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a recent photo taken for Princess Beatrice''s 18th birthday. She had an 1888 themed party because her birthdate was 8/8/88.

From the left: Eugenie, Sarah, Beatrice and Andrew.

BeaBirthday1.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Same shot just closer.

I think both the York girls are very pretty. Beatrice is currently in Peru as part of her "gap year". I don''t know what her plans are for schooling after that but it is rumored that she may choose an American university since her mother spends so much time here.

yorksbeatrice18thbday.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I love this picture of Prince Andrew and his girls - Beatrice on the left and Eugenie on the right.

AndrewXmas2.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here is Prince Andrew''s Christmas Card for 2006 - Beatrice is on the right and Eugenie on the left in both shots.

AndrewCard.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The York girls are pretty but Beatrice''s mouth looks odd in some of those photos.

What was wrong with Louise''s eye? I do not recall hearing about that.

Laetizia has a very gaunt look, in her face especially, that is odd.

Princess Madeline is very pretty.

Sophie is pretty in a non fussy low maintenance sort of way!

I too had much lighter hair as a child, that did darken over time. Now I highlight it and lighten the base. Since I am fair with blue eyes, it looks natural on me.

widget

Ideal_Rock
LadyAmethyst...

Thank you SO SO SO MUCH for this incredible thread. It is truly my favorite. Bravo!
36.gif

widget

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
How cute is Prince Carl Philip!!!!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Thanks LA for the quick reply. I''ll have to try to find that show.

BD

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I just got notice of the Sotheby''s Magnificent Jewels catalog for the NYC auction being on line and I found the following:

AMETHYST AND DIAMOND NECKLACE, CIRCA 1900
The foliate garlands decorated with 5 hexagonal amethysts set as swing centers within circular wreaths, alternating with pear-shaped scrolls, set with 13 old European-cut diamonds weighing approximately 8.50 carats, 69 old European-cut diamonds weighing approximately 10.00 carats and numerous smaller old-mine and rose-cut diamonds weighing approximately 5.00 carats, mounted in silver and gold, length 17 inches, 4 diamonds missing. Together with a wood box of octagonal shape stamped on the lid: The Property of Her Majesty The Late Queen Alexandra.

PROVENANCE
Sotheby''s London, March 24, 1988, lot 188. A note following the description states that the necklace was purchased from Wartski in 1958 as part of the collection of jewels of Queen Alexandra.

EXHIBITED
Tiaras, The Victoria and Albert Museum, London, March 21-July 14, 2002.

LITERATURE AND REFERENCES
Geoffrey C. Munn, Tiaras: A History of Splendour, pl. 96, p. 117. The present necklace, when supported on a frame, may also be worn as a tiara.

CATALOGUE NOTE
Alexandra of Denmark (1844-1925) was Princess of Wales from 1863 until 1901 after which she became Queen Consort to Edward VII of the United Kingdom and also Empress of India. After the death of her Edward VII in 1910, she became the Queen Mother as both queen and the mother of the reigning monarch George V.

Queen Alexandra Amethyst1.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a second pic. It is lot 348.

Queen Alexandra Amethyst2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results