shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The Earl and Countess of Wessex arriving for the service.

sophieedwarddiamondanniversaryservice11-2007.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Sophie wore her wedding jewelry (designed by Prince Edward). I love her hat too!

sophiediamondanniversaryservice11-2007.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/21/2007 11:36:02 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 11/21/2007 10:56:36 AM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
Queen Margrethe at Versailles.
Oh m stars, she''s cute.. but her TEETH!
6.gif
Can you imagine her smile if her teeth were white? Oh sad!
Yeah - I think her Maj. needs to quit smoking!!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2007 10:55:08 AM
Caroline was wearing an interesting pair of brooches and earrings.
I was thinking she looked a little "old" in the photo, then I realized she''s not only in her fifties, but is now older than her mother was when she passed away.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2007 11:04:23 AM
The Queen wore a beautiful brooch of rubies and diamonds in a flower and leaf design.
I think she looks quite charming in her winter white ensemble. I like that she chose to look a little "bridal" for her anniversary service.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
ROYAL JEWEL ALERT!On Dec.4th Southebys will be auctioning a southseas pearl and diamond necklace owned by the duchess of windsor wallis simpson.The necklace is on the southebys website and is going for a cool 2 million!Its currently owned by designer Calvin klein.Merry Christmas to some lucky lady!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I just read through this entire thread in one go. Thank you SO MUCH! I loved it! I recently saw some of the Crown Jewels on display at the Tower of London and they were so gorgeous, I dragged my boyfriend back around a few more times to look at them sparkle. Just amazing!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2007 1:54:18 PM
Author: HollyS

Date: 11/21/2007 11:04:23 AM
The Queen wore a beautiful brooch of rubies and diamonds in a flower and leaf design.
I think she looks quite charming in her winter white ensemble. I like that she chose to look a little 'bridal' for her anniversary service.
HI:

I agree--she looks fabulous, quite huggable really...
1.gif

cheers--Sharon

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Today Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway opened a University center. She wore a necklace that she wears almost constantly. I call it a mother''s necklace. It has little figures representing each of her children, 2 boys and a girl. They are in diamonds and white gold.

mettemaritworking.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
More photos of Queen Margrethe in Versailles.

margretheatversailles2.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
A close up of her necklace. I think the diamond part comes off and is used as a brooch.

margretheatversailles1.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
And another of the Queen at her diamond anniversary service. I think the brooch she is wearing came from the collection of the Queen Mother.

queendiamondanniversaryservice.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 4:24:33 PM
This is a great photo as well. Taken in 1909 on the Romanov''s second and last visit to England
The photo of the Romanovs reminded me of a beautiful painting I saw at an exhibit years ago called "Nicholas and Alexandra" of their wedding. Not a real photo, and no obvious jewels - sorry! - but hopefully it will come out okay here. (Never sure how it will look after trying to resize etc.) I just always thought it was such a pretty painting. Hope it''s okay to put in this thread.

Nicolas n Alexandra wedding sm.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Same painting, although this one includes more scenery. But I like the lighting/coloring of the previous version better.

Nicolas n Alexandra wedding full.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I hope nobody minds my posting these paintings here. Just one more. I like the wedding one better, but here is the Coronation of Nicholas II.

Coronation Nicolas II small.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
thanks for thinking of us at the forum and posting more pictures.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
about the queens ruby and diamond brooch...its looks like a vintage cartier piece from the mid- forties to the mid-fifties.Cartier and Van cleef used this cluster of gemstone setting style for their flower jewelry during and after this period...any other opinions about its maker?

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 12:37:25 AM
Author: jewelerman
about the queens ruby and diamond brooch...its looks like a vintage cartier piece from the mid- forties to the mid-fifties.Cartier and Van cleef used this cluster of gemstone setting style for their flower jewelry during and after this period...any other opinions about its maker?
I''ve searched all around for more info on that brooch. All that I have found seems to imply that it was part of a huge bunch of jewels that were willed to the Queen Mother by her friend - a society lady named Mrs. Greville. The Queen Mum inherited the brooch and the rest of the Greville jewels in 1942 but she didn''t wear any of them for several years because King George VI was cautious about the RF appearing to accept large gifts like that from a member of the public. QM only started wearing the jewels in 1947.

Here she is pictured wearing the Honeycomb Tiara and earrings - both of which are from the Greville hoarde.

queenmum1954.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Anyone interested in the french crown jewels?I have always been fascinated with famous gems from the jewelry boxes of Marie Antoinette and her famous husband in France and her family in Austria.The Hope is probably the most famous of all royal gems and i love studying stones like the Hope(or more correctly for this conversation...the french blue)the Sancy and the (from the russian crown jewels)...the Orloff. marie''s earrings in the smithsonian collectian are worth seeing as you walk accross the room to view the perfect blue of the Hope. Thanks for humoring me and letting me discuss the jewels of the earlier royals around the world.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Funny that you posted this!! I was just thinking about this today because I was reading about how heavy the Queen of Denmark''s earrings were at Versailles and found out that often the earrings actually have a hook so that you can literally hang the around your ear. Otherwise they are too heavy and will pull out of the earlobe. I knew that I had read how Czarina Alexandra had heavy earrings at her wedding and the thin wire hook cut into her ears. So that made me think of this portrait.
1.gif

I didn''t realize that some of the earrings still have this hook. Crown Princess Mary of Denamrk''s earrings from the ruby parure for example. I think the hairdo usually hides the wire.

alixnixkyweddingportrait.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelerman -

I forgot to mention that the Honeycomb Tiara was made by Cartier. Then the Queen Mum added the little spikes on the top with diamonds that King George VI got from DeBeers. So it''s probably a safe bet that Cartier made the ruby and diamond flower brooch too.

So was that Savoy Tiara that I posted the one you were thinking of??

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Lady Amy ,
you are an impressive wealth of information on these rare jewels.Thanks...im going to research the Greville collection more closley.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Yes that was the tiara...thanks for posting it...what do you think of it!?

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 1:00:48 AM
Lady Amy ,
you are an impressive wealth of information on these rare jewels.Thanks...im going to research the Greville collection more closley.
I guess I''m finally putting my misspent youth to good use. LOL!
9.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2007 1:04:15 AM
Yes that was the tiara...thanks for posting it...what do you think of it!?
Fabulously huge diamonds! It''s always a shame when a family has to sell it''s heritage like that.
40.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I understand what you are saying.I once worked for a dept store that had an antique jewelry salon.I was responsible for helping clients liquidate their jewelry and gems.It was heart breaking when death and divorce seperated the family from their heirlooms.It was fun though to find a signed piece by tiffany,cartier,yard,or rolex.I once was presented with an old leather box from the turn of the century that held a platinum ring with a 6 carat bright blue cushion cut sapphire!The owner thought it too big and gawty!It became more attractive when they heard the value of such a jewel.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to mention that the sapphire was french cartier(the family was french)!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I''m curious to know what the czarina''s ering looked like.......anyone know? I''ve always loved that era of Russian history.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 6:03:52 PM
Author: joflier
I''m curious to know what the czarina''s ering looked like.......anyone know? I''ve always loved that era of Russian history.
Czarina Alexandra''s engagement ring was a large pink pearl. I''ve never seen a picture of it though. Her favorite color was mauve or lilac and in her jewelry in general she favored pastel tones and pale stones like aquamarines.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 8:00:37 PM

Date: 11/23/2007 6:03:52 PM
Author: joflier
Czarina Alexandra''s engagement ring was a large pink pearl. I''ve never seen a picture of it though. Her favorite color was mauve or lilac and in her jewelry in general she favored pastel tones and pale stones like aquamarines.
That sounds lovely! Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results