shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting a warm OEC ?

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
I would love to reset my warm OEC. It is warm, so I want to make sure the setting flatters it and doesn't make it appear too yellow. Of the vendors and designers used here- who will take in an outside stone and who does affordable work?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
David Klass in Los Angeles is one.

CVB Inspired Design , but I don't know the pricing.

I would let a "warm" OEC tell you what color of metal. The alloy and gold content can make rose golds ranging from peach to copper colors.
Some warm stones look best in yellow gold.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is affordable in your mind?

David Klass does nice work at affordable prices. I have no experience with him but that's the word on the street.

His work...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/[/URL]

Thread with some lower colored OECs to check out. Looks like a lot of people use yellow gold or rose gold with white prongs.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/warmer-diamonds-k-l-m.214928/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/warmer-diamonds-k-l-m.214928/[/URL]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a vendor for every budget. CAD/cast is the most cost effective. CvB, Singlestone, and a few other than specialize in antique styles are handforged and pricing starts at $3K and go up exponentially.

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
I would like to keep it under $2500 if I can and I am not opposed to using remade settings

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliantly Engaged and David Klass will be within your budget.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice for resetting your warm OEC is to stick with plain metal and don't add other diamonds as that will just accentuate the color difference IMO.

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
does anyone have David Klass' email ? I can only find a fb page for him and no contact info other than a phone number is given

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rimjaja|1441975594|3926492 said:
I would love to reset my warm OEC. It is warm, so I want to make sure the setting flatters it and doesn't make it appear too yellow. Of the vendors and designers used here- who will take in an outside stone and who does affordable work?

How warm is "warm"?
What do you mean by "flatter without making it look too yellow"? Does "flatter" to you mean "make it look more white"? Highlight the warmth without adding or removing colour?
How is it currently set?
What sort of new setting do you envision?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1441978584|3926525 said:
CAD/cast is the most cost effective.

Well, almost Chrono. Most commercial setting manufacturers make a wide variety of parts such as different head and band styles which can be assembled into very low cost ring settings. One can also cut up, modify and re-assemble commercial settings in order to use part or all of them in conjunction with CAD modeled parts to arrive at suitably lower cost settings. I think that these assembled pieces can be made to look as if they are custom pieces, have great durability and be just slightly more expensive than commercial settings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1441994089|3926629 said:
CAD/cast is the most cost effective.

Well, almost Chrono. Most commercial setting manufacturers make a wide variety of parts such as different head and band styles which can be assembled into very low cost ring settings. One can also cut up, modify and re-assemble commercial settings in order to use part or all of them in conjunction with CAD modeled parts to arrive at suitably lower cost settings. I think that these assembled pieces can be made to look as if they are custom pieces, have great durability and be just slightly more expensive than commercial settings.

Let me clarify my post above - custom cast/CAD as opposed to custom handforged.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
There's a vendor for every budget. CAD/cast is the most cost effective. CvB, Singlestone, and a few other than specialize in antique styles are handforged and pricing starts at $3K and go up exponentially.
My understanding is that CvB's bench is able to do both handforged and CAD/cast, but that most of her designs are cast, with only some parts handforged as needed (for example, prongs may be handforged, and delicate details such as the ruby collar on DecoDaze's ring are handforged). That being said, even her cast pieces have some of the benefits typically associated with handforged jewelry: the casting is outsourced to a company called Zero Porosity Casting, that has expertise in avoiding porosity issues that are sometimes found in cast pieces; in addition, CvB typically has the setting cast as several individual pieces that are later assembled (as is done with handforged jewelry), which allows the bench to polish the interior surfaces (those are normally not accessible and therefore remain rough when jewelry is cast as a single monolithic piece).

Just wanted to clarify. =) The above is based on my knowledge from working with CvB last year, so if things have changed since then, I could be wrong!

P.S. Also, for non-custom designs, her Etsy shop has several existing designs that are below OP's $2500 budget.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote for David Klass for affordable custom settings. He is able to use an unplated white gold that brings out the creamy color of a warm OEC. Of course, each stone is different and it depends on the look that you are hoping to elicit from the stone. Good luck!

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
missy|1441982752|3926566 said:
My advice for resetting your warm OEC is to stick with plain metal and don't add other diamonds as that will just accentuate the color difference IMO.
I agree with Missy on this one.

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1441991970|3926621 said:
rimjaja|1441975594|3926492 said:

How warm is "warm"?
What do you mean by "flatter without making it look too yellow"? Does "flatter" to you mean "make it look more white"? Highlight the warmth without adding or removing colour?
How is it currently set?
What sort of new setting do you envision?

It is the ring at the bottom. It is supposed to be a 1.86 J , but I haven't evaluated it outside of the ring. It looks fairly yellow from the side to me, and I wouldn't be surprised when it gets evaluated outside of the ring, if it were a k-l-m. For comparison, the ring at the top is a G/H.

I think the ruby ring makes it look more yellow. And the setting seems off-center slightly - so that aggravates me.

I would like to get a new setting that showcases the stone. It is a super sparkly OEC, and I would like it to look more like an ER than a RHR. Maybe side stones - baguettes/bullets/trillions/or such. Lower set is my preference so it doesn't project too far of the hand. I am flexible on the metal - whatever makes the stone look whiter

_34279.jpg

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
drk14|1441996997|3926645 said:
My understanding is that CvB's bench is able to do both handforged and CAD/cast, but that most of her designs are cast, with only some parts handforged as needed (for example, prongs may be handforged, and delicate details such as the ruby collar on DecoDaze's ring are handforged). That being said, even her cast pieces have some of the benefits typically associated with handforged jewelry: the casting is outsourced to a company called Zero Porosity Casting, that has expertise in avoiding porosity issues that are sometimes found in cast pieces; in addition, CvB typically has the setting cast as several individual pieces that are later assembled (as is done with handforged jewelry), which allows the bench to polish the interior surfaces (those are normally not accessible and therefore remain rough when jewelry is cast as a single monolithic piece).

Just wanted to clarify. =) The above is based on my knowledge from working with CvB last year, so if things have changed since then, I could be wrong!

P.S. Also, for non-custom designs, her Etsy shop has several existing designs that are below OP's $2500 budget.
that is a beautiful ring, and she may be able to reuse my rubies in a setting like that!

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
I called David Klass on Saturday. Does his office take long to respond?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rimjaja|1442250338|3927628 said:
Lookinagain|1442201427|3927416 said:
I usually email him. [email protected]
Messaged him. How fast are their typical responses?
If he is Jewish, rimjaja, he is unlikely to be working because it's Rosh Hashanah. Even if he's not Jewish, he may be giving himself a break during the Jewish High Holy Days. My late father-in-law, who was "in the trade" here in NYC -- and Irish-American Catholic -- didn't go into his Diamond District office on such days.

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1442279860|3927822 said:
rimjaja|1442250338|3927628 said:
Lookinagain|1442201427|3927416 said:
I usually email him. [email protected]
Messaged him. How fast are their typical responses?
If he is Jewish, rimjaja, he is unlikely to be working because it's Rosh Hashanah. Even if he's not Jewish, he may be giving himself a break during the Jewish High Holy Days. My late father-in-law, who was "in the trade" here in NYC -- and Irish-American Catholic -- didn't go into his Diamond District office on such days.

Well, I called Saturday and emailed yesterday - no response for either. When is Rosh Hashana over?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rimjaja|1442332659|3928037 said:
Well, I called Saturday and emailed yesterday - no response for either. When is Rosh Hashana over?
Rosh Hashana ends tonight (Yom Kippur is next Tuesday evening - Wednesday night). I bet you're antsy to get started, but DK has become more well known, and popular, so doubtlessly has more in his "pipelines" than a couple of years ago; plus, goldsmiths aren't volunteer firefighters on call 24/7. So how about giving him another day or two before reaching out to him again?

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
thank you!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
News flash! mochiko just told us in the Colored Stones forum that DK is now in Hong Kong for the September Hong Kong Jewellery & Gem Fair; she's hoping to meet up with him before she heads out of town.

The Fair runs from September 16 - 20, but DK is not on the Exhibitors list (I just checked), so may or may not be staying through the weekend.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results