shape
carat
color
clarity

Warmer Diamonds? K,L,M?

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

I am looking at upgrading my Diamond, and due to my budget, I have to make a few compromises... no big deal, but I am realizing that I can afford a lot more if I am willing to look at warmer diamonds. I currently have a J, and never thought I would consider anything warmer, but it seems some of the stones face up pretty white... any of you care to share your rings on your hand? Is there a thread out there I am missing? I am speaking with Adam at Old World, and because of the type of cut I want, I think I can swing it (Antique cushion).

TIA!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 3.11 K AVR from Good Old Gold with .51ctw of I colored side stones.

It seems to me that there are K's and K's. While a D/E/F colored stone will always look whiter than mine, I still find my stone very bright and more that acceptably white, with wonderful light performance. I have stones of all colors, and my K solitaire fits right in.

On the other hand, I once had a K colored stone which I found too warm to set in a ring, and I ultimately set it into earrings. So, in my opinion, it really depends which stone you buy.

img_8750.jpg

img_8751.jpg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My K IF

_32653.jpg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Thank you, these face up very white...I agree, totally is stone dependent.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Thank you, these face up very white...I agree, totally is stone dependent.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vc_group_rings_pic_no.jpg

The top stone was describe by the vendor as a white facing J, it is surrounded by F/G melee and I notice the difference. But the big old gal second from the top is an L and she hides colour and mostly faces up as white looking (sometimes whiter) than the J.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1437693789|3906718 said:
vc_group_rings_pic_no.jpg

The top stone was describe by the vendor as a white facing J, it is surrounded by F/G melee and I notice the difference. But the big old gal second from the top is an L and she hides colour and mostly faces up as white looking (sometimes whiter) than the J.

Do you believe it is mainly due to the fact that she is halo'd? I ask, because I am considering haloing the stone...

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
I can only speak for warm OECs since those are what I have had the pleasure of owning. I have a GIA M OEC and owned an EGL M OEC previously. I wore a GIA E MRB for 10 years before my upgrade. Here are my thoughts and some pictures for illustrative purposes...

This is how my OEC looks most of the time.

at_martial_arts_19_0.jpg

glow_11_0.jpg

20140422_105454.jpg

A lower colored OEC WILL face up very white. I think, face-up, there are not many people that would process a KLM range OEC as anything other than white if it's by itself. If you have ever looked at white paint swatches you know what I mean. Look at a warm white and it looks...white. Put it next to a cool white and it looks suddenly creamy or even murky.

Here is my M OEC (bottom) next to my E MRB (top). My studs in the middle are EGL G and H. For the purposes of this discussion, I will say that although they are EGL, which is known to be around 2 color grades off, the studs faced up whiter than the BGD GIA I stone I had at the same time so I wouldn't be surprised if they were around G/H. (forgive run-on sentence...not editing tonight :bigsmile: )

2014-09-17_13_0.jpg

2014-09-17_13_1.jpg

So, as you can see, when you put it next to a REALLY white stone it definitely looks more creamy. I don't like my OEC paired with a white metal/high color diamond eternity band...really brings out the dishwater color. But, I can pair it with my G/H eternity band set in 18k YG and they blend beautifully. The YG seems to add a little golden hue that softens the gap. Honestly, I can't tell a difference between those stones and my OEC.

oec_and_fc.jpg

Keeping it real. I love my diamond. I really do. I love it face up in any environment. But, there are times when the profile is...less pretty. In my car, on an overcast day...I just don't even look at the profile. I know better. You can really see the tint and it's not so flattering. Face up is fine, but not the side. That bothers some people. White stones literally always look the same. M colors don't. I was looking for a good pic of the side with yuck color showing and....ha ha ha....I don't have one. Here are a few profile pic where you can see color, but it can look worse. Apparently I don't like to document it.

20140422_105527.jpg

20140708_183649.jpg

Wait! I just dug out a pic that shows the side tint...

fb10_-_no_smtb.jpg

So, I think you have to be the kind of person that is okay "working" with your stone's tone and not fighting it. I think the things that come into play are what you wear as a wedding band, how you set it, what color metal you set it in, are you going to try and halo because there will be contrast with the melee...etc. etc.

With a high color stone, they are always white. With a lower color, they tend to take on many different looks depending on the surroundings and you have to be okay with that to love one. I find it truly interesting how my stone can look blinding white in one setting and creamy in another. I also feels like it reflects so much more of the environment, although that may just be more a function of cut (OEC vs. MRB) than color.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your decision!

uixs

Rough_Rock
I own K 1.38 VVS 3EX faint fluorescent(GIA cert said None fluor but it has fluro in my stone. You can read my thread below)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-gia-make-mistake.214711/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-gia-make-mistake.214711/[/URL]

Anyhow, face up I don't see warm tint most of the time. Because of the fluor or not, my stone looks pretty white depending on the light.
From the side, I can see tint (but really slight tint), it depends on the lighting, too.
Quality of the cut is also helping my stone look whiter.
All the diamond have different personality as you know, so I can't say all Ks look like my stone but I'm really happy with my decision of going with K.

It's cool to see my stone have different appearance in all lightings ;))
I find new side of my stone everyday!
Good luck! and hope these pictures help!

_32669.jpg

_32670.jpg

_32671.jpg

_32672.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the best pictures, but here is my 'M' 1.5ct OMC/early OEC in indoor, natural light before I repurposed this mounting for my spinel. The third & fourth pics are of it loose, outdoors in indirect natural light just now. It wasn't GIA cert'd, but was assessed as an M by David Atlas when it was in the original setting, and confirmed by a local, reputable jeweler with a GIA master set in front of me when it was loose (not that I doubted DA's assessment; just figured I would have it assessed while loose). It looks very white to my eyes in all angles when set, but loose, I see some color, but I am literally sitting under a bunch of lush green shady trees when I took these pics. Admittedly, I am not color sensitive, and I like the soft "tint" by going down in color vs a bright white stone. But that's just my preference. :)

_32679.jpg

_32680.jpg

_32681.jpg

_32682.jpg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all sooo much, your runs are all beautiful... I really appreciate it and am surprised with how little color I actually see in these pics!

Valmanin - your OEC is beautiful, I am curious what are the dimensions and your finger size? Adam at OWD asked I would consider an OEC, and while initially I said no, I am starting to reconsider... as I originally wanted to halo, but am begining to wonder if it isn't the best idea, should I choose a warmer stone. Also, I, personally am not a huge fan of halos on round diamonds. I LOVE halos, just not on a round, so should I go the OEC route, I would set it in some sort of unique solitaire setting with pave on the shank... I am trying to stay open minded, as an OEC would face up much larger.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I 'downgraded' from a 1.64 H VVS1 MRB that wasn't ideal cut (wasn't badly cut either) to a 1.64 N SI1 (or 2, I can't recall) AVR that Jonathan from GOG used to wear in a mens ring. The color difference is major but the faceting pattern and light return more than make up for it, I haven't regretted it once going this route. That being said, since I don't need any bigger I may have considered a higher color, just for this setting, than what I could get in our budget. But if I could reset this stone into a new setting, I would be all over it. I'd bezel it in yellow gold, bringing out the warmth of it. It faces up white, and the the only time I can see warmth is from the side or when I put my twin bypass ring next to it, which is H-J colored stones and there is def. a color difference, but I don't mind :love:

10014718_10204415481001612_3080242140289249529_2.jpg

10830673_10204415482881659_7883769175009731205_2.jpg

10830068_10204415456440998_5747682496042661612_1.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I haven't shared pictures of this yet on PS since I'm not going to be wearing it full time until next year and want to reset, but since you asked nicely... [emoji6] This is my 1.43 M OEC (GIA graded but currently off to AGS for a second cert... Long story). Anyway, I love the color. It's not white but is *bright* and shows warmth and picks up surrounding colors like crazy. I love it. :love: It's just a smidge over 7mm on a 5.25 finger.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1437744400.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1437744423.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1437744437.jpg

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
TruLuv858|1437739534|3906880 said:
Thank you all sooo much, your runs are all beautiful... I really appreciate it and am surprised with how little color I actually see in these pics!

Valmanin - your OEC is beautiful, I am curious what are the dimensions and your finger size? Adam at OWD asked I would consider an OEC, and while initially I said no, I am starting to reconsider... as I originally wanted to halo, but am begining to wonder if it isn't the best idea, should I choose a warmer stone. Also, I, personally am not a huge fan of halos on round diamonds. I LOVE halos, just not on a round, so should I go the OEC route, I would set it in some sort of unique solitaire setting with pave on the shank... I am trying to stay open minded, as an OEC would face up much larger.

My finger size is 5.25, but I like my rings loose so it is currently sized at 5.75. My OEC is 3.55 ct., averaging around 9.5mm. I also worked with Adam. You are in great hands!!! I looked at ACs as well, but for some reason rounds look better on my hand. No idea why! I also love how white OECs face up. As much as I love ACs, they did not face up as white for their color grade imo. Why not take the best of both worlds...get an OEC and set it in a cushion shaped halo?

I am curious what size range you are currently looking at?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
And because I think perspective shots are important, I will add one of those. This is very dim lighting in my apartment yet the diamond is flashing white. On my right hand is my 5 stone of lower colored OECs (1.10 ctw).

imageuploadedbytapatalk1437744712.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a GIA LVS1 OEC and it faces up white and bright to me. Bright, lively and no tint in sight from the face up position IMO. Profile view can be slightly tinted and like some others here that is not my favorite view of my OEC.

However my setting is perfect for it as you cannot see the color from the side usually and face up it holds its own. OECs reflect colors in a way that modern cuts don't seem to so there is more leeway re color and those chunky facets are TDF if you like that sort of thing. :love: I have never fallen in love with a lower color modern cut but I have fallen in love with lower color old cuts. They are very different.

Personally I don't care for it next to whiter smaller diamonds i.e. in an eternity band so I have it paired with vintage platinum bands and one with suisse (single cut) diamonds so they complement my OEC rather than competing against it and its warm color if that makes sense. Some like playing up the color difference but I prefer letting the OEC shine on its own and that way its color is lovely to me vs comparing it to harsher whiter diamonds. On its own (paired with simple plat bands) is when I love my OEC the best. It is a very personal choice and preference. Good luck finding your sweet spot!

_32686.jpg

_32687.jpg

chunkymonkeyfacets.jpg

reallifeperspectiveagain.jpg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The warmer OEC's are stunning!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Mayk|1437748711|3906919 said:
The warmer OEC's are stunning!

Agree, this thread is fantastic, thanks for all the contributions!

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the eye candy ladies! :love: :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's my GIA L transitional/early brilliant stone, in platinum. I do notice the tint when indoors. The first photo shows my L with a smaller G.

recut-twocompared-outside.jpg

Here's my L with a rose gold band.

image_2373.jpg

Here it is outside in the shade under trees.

image_1918.jpg

Outside, overcast sky:

penelope-hand.jpg

lisa1802

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.66 M OMC. Like others, in some lights and surroundings it's warm and vanilla and yummy, and in others it's quite bright. I love it!

_32689.jpg

_32690.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.33 K AVC from GOG and it's very white face up.. if I compare it to my MRB H 1.66 regular cut diamond I can see a difference but the cut of my AVC is outstanding and the stone lights up a room... I would not say it's yellow but just a bit warmer that is all. I would love a AVR! and a K would be fine ...

image001_7.jpg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
OMG!!! This thread is seriously making me reconsider my original intention if just resetting my ring, and am looking at OEC's more closely... I, in all honesty, hadn't even considered them... but these OEC solitaires are making my heart pitter patter :love:

Thank you ALL, so much for contributing!!!

Val- I am currently at a 2.5, 8.67×7.53, I would LOVE to be in the 3ct+ range... 9mm +... if I cannot halo, I want to make it worth my while, a 3.5 (9.5+) would be ideal. I have a size 4 finger, so it should provide some great coverage...

Missy- that ring is TDF!! Did you find this through Adam? What are the dims and your finger size please? I would LOVE that kind of coverage!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TruLuv858 said:
OMG!!! This thread is seriously making me reconsider my original intention if just resetting my ring, and am looking at OEC's more closely... I, in all honesty, hadn't even considered them... but these OEC solitaires are making my heart pitter patter :love:

Thank you ALL, so much for contributing!!!

Missy- that ring is TDF!! Did you find this through Adam? What are the dims and your finger size please? I would LOVE that kind of coverage!!!

Thank you very much TruLuv. Yes, I did find my OEC through Adam and he is a doll. So wonderful and helpful and very fair IMO. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone looking for an old cut diamond and he has a large inventory of amazing stones. He is also a lovely person.

My finger is a size 5.75 and the dimensions of the OEC (4.56 carats) are 10.36 by 10.53. With your lovely petite ring size I think you have a great chance at some serious finger coverage at many carat sizes. Good luck with your search and enjoy!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Tourmaline|1437770402|3907042 said:
Here's my GIA L transitional/early brilliant stone, in platinum. I do notice the tint when indoors. The first photo shows my L with a smaller G.

recut-twocompared-outside.jpg

Here's my L with a rose gold band.

image_2373.jpg

Here it is outside in the shade under trees.

image_1918.jpg

Outside, overcast sky:

penelope-hand.jpg

Tourmaline- what are your dimensions and ring size? Your ring is also stunnging... I can't believe I never really considered this cut, as I have such a love for chunky, antique facets and never really considered a round... however a round provides such fabulous spread, and the facet pattern in these stones is pretty remarkable!

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
here is my older oec

i bought it as a L and it was later appraised by DA as an M after I sold it.

I personally prefer creamy oecs to stark white.

_32734.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TruLuv858|1437782851|3907123 said:
Tourmaline- what are your dimensions and ring size? Your ring is also stunning... I can't believe I never really considered this cut, as I have such a love for chunky, antique facets and never really considered a round... however a round provides such fabulous spread, and the facet pattern in these stones is pretty remarkable!

My diamond is 11.43-11.51mm, and the ring is a size 6.5. :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's mine, it's an OEC, AGS K. It faces up relatively white. Face up, I don't notice the difference too much with my AVR (which is AGS G). In certain lighting I do see a slight tint when viewing the profile. And of course it looks yellow under yellow/warm lighting. :)
It looks white in natural light. It mostly takes on the colors in the surrounding environment, and flashes beautiful pastels at times. Under LED lighting it does not perform as great as a MRB due to the cut.
lad.jpg
sakuraoec1.jpg oecoutdoors.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Ks are smaller so won't be a good representation of what yours would look like but I do love to share.
.15/.32/.84/.32.15 if. I remember right.

imag0042.jpg

imag1800.jpg

imag2571.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results