shape
carat
color
clarity

Red

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

empress

Shiny_Rock
We''ve had orange - how about some reds?

21572 Red Namya Spinel.jpg

empress

Shiny_Rock
Sorry - that''s a Namya spinel.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Empress, it''s gorgeous.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, I don't think anyone really started a red thread because red is the rarest color for gems in nature. It simply is too difficult to find natural color pure red stones, and when you do, they're extremely costly. Many people posted their reddish family stones in the pink thread. I guess garnets, and some spinels apply, but they often have a strong orange or brownish secondary to them, so I wouldn't necessarily call them red, but I guess that's subjective.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great color.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOnderful color. Have to look up Namya spinel, never heard of it. So much to learn.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s a really beautiful stone!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Empress,
I love the spinel.
Please tell us more about it, if you don''t mind.
Pink

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2010 8:42:04 AM
Author: Chrono
The link below gives a lot of information about red/pink spinels with the finest examples from each area (Mogok, Namya, Mahenge, Tajikistan, etc). I’m used to see the hot pink Namya so am pleasantly surprised to see a red Namya spinel.
http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/spinel-resurrection-of-classic.htm
Chrono,
I''ve visited that page many times,
3.gif
. Thanks for posting it!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re welcome, TL. I love all the eye candy there. While my own pales in comparison to theirs, here is a poorly photographed trio of red Burmese spinels.

ACSredspineltrio1.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have 1 red stone, (no pics of it yet though)

But I don''t understand why red has to be pure in order to be seen? In each of the other color threads there were many subsections of the color represented, all beautiful in their own right.

Some in on this forum are a little bit over the top with the words "pure" and "true". Jus sayin.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2010 9:35:39 AM
Author: Arcadian

But I don't understand why red has to be pure in order to be seen? In each of the other color threads there were many subsections of the color represented, all beautiful in their own right.

Some in on this forum are a little bit over the top with the words 'pure' and 'true'. Jus sayin.

-A
It's subjective really. The color red is the holy grail of many colored gem collectors, so it's a bit sacred to me. When I see someone call a gem "red" without mentioning a modifier (ie "orangey red" or "pink red"), I take notice. You're correct too, and I guess I'm just a purist at heart when it comes to things red. For example, I also don't want people to think a very orangey red stone is a pure red stone. I'm not talking about this specific stone the OP posted, but any stone per se. JMO.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are my ACS Burmese spinel charms that Matata wants to rip off my ears.
9.gif
I’ve never seen them show any pink before so I don’t know why my camera shows some pink flash.

ACSredspinelcharms1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My AJS red spinel. I think it is the angle of the camera causing the top half to show some shadowing, which is not apparent IRL.

AJSredspinel1.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, that spinal is amazing! Love the engraving on the setting! I only have one red stone and that is a ruby I got on ebay with the intention of putting another stone in the setting but when I got it that little red stone just glowed and I really liked it! I am sure that it is synthetic because I got it very inexpensive but I really like it and wear it often.

rsz_halo_ruby_006.jpg

xlent

Rough_Rock
Beautiful Spinels..
Red is so many shades..I like a stone that I can wear and wear and never be able to say what color it is..pomegranate, cherry, cranberry, blue blood red, electric sparkling red ..or in Homer's words..the color of a wine dark sea
This is my favorite stone. It is a ruby posted on wikipedia but it shows the color shifts I llike even if the stone seems to be badly photographed or possibly included

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/Cut_Ruby.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Icom. The setting has been passed down from my maternal great grandparents. Whatever your stone might be, it’s a gorgeous red stone.

I know there are many PS posters with rubies so I’d love to see them share their pictures here. Spinels, garnets and all other varieties are welcome too.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful examples of red in here. Chrono, I hope you know how much I love your spinels!

Empress, the cutting and colour on yours is lovely! Are you planning on setting it? How?

Here are my two;

My 1.66 ct. (wonky cushion
3.gif
) red spinel.
original.aspx

This one is a massively brown (and super dark) 1.43 ct. malaya garnet from GemRite. Old ring. Didn't know enough to send it back, but it has a charm of its own.

original.aspx

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren,
Thank you; I didn’t but I do now. Your wonky red spinel cushion shows nice red flashes. It’s doesn’t appear too off symmetry unless one stares long and hard at the ring.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you chrono! What a bonus to have such a lovely ring that is a also a family piece, lucky girl!!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

But I don''t understand why red has to be pure in order to be seen? In each of the other color threads there were many subsections of the color represented, all beautiful in their own right.

Some in on this forum are a little bit over the top with the words ''pure'' and ''true''. Jus sayin.

-A

A,

I am with you. This series of threads is for fun. Who cares as long as the dominant hue is red?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 3:15:51 PM
Author: Harriet

Some in on this forum are a little bit over the top with the words ''pure'' and ''true''. Jus sayin.

-A

A,

I am with you. This series of threads is for fun. Who cares as long as the dominant hue is red?

I agree- the green thread contains yellow-green in addition to true green. So what?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2010 10:56:15 AM
Author: Chrono
My AJS red spinel. I think it is the angle of the camera causing the top half to show some shadowing, which is not apparent IRL.

Ooooh Chrono I LOVE this!!!!

I saw a photo on the sidebar a few weeks ago and tried to track it down but didn't manage... thank you for sharing it!!
18.gif
30.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good point, Icekid. Not every colour is a primary one.

Here's my Red (and, no, there's no brown in it):
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=458

I also have an orange-Red which I love. The orange keeps the spinel lively. Call me plebian.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Empress, Chrono, Lauren and Icom, all your spinels look so stunning, gorgeous color!

I have only these reds! Can''t you see I heart cabochon!

rubymegeve 001.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
ok then, here''s my new approx 1 ct heated but otherwise untreated ruby. lot less pink, and more red in person

it looks amazing in daylight.

no idea how to set it...

30527.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 6:00:35 PM
Author: rosetta
ok then, here''s my new approx 1 ct heated but otherwise untreated ruby. lot less pink, and more red in person

no idea how to set it...
Ooooo, ahhhhh...is that Ruby from gemline?
36.gif
I''ve admired the photos of that one a few times myself.
2.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock

-A
No pics yet?! Get on that girl!
31.gif
I wanna see!
2.gif

I have a very hard time wearing anything pure red, it looks hideous on my skin tone which already has a red cast. I can go with orangey reds and darker reds though, thank goodness.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 6:07:56 PM
Author: brandy_z28

Date: 2/25/2010 6:00:35 PM
Author: rosetta

no idea how to set it...
Ooooo, ahhhhh...is that Ruby from gemline?
36.gif
I''ve admired the photos of that one a few times myself.
2.gif
well spotted brandy, i bagsied it...
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results